• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 15 min 'Siberian Wilderness' [1080p] Gameplay Demo

Looks good, I just hope they tone the combat down this time and actually focus on exploring and raiding tombs, you know, like what the series was known for.

While the combat was good, too much of it felt out of place within the story, A young Lara Croft suddenly turning into Rambo and mowing down hundreds of bad guys, 10 minutes after killing someone for the very first time just felt weird to me.

drigosr

Tomb Raider 2013 was better than any Uncharted game.
Will be interesting to see if UC4 can out do RoTR.

I agree with that....
Uncharted is excellent in story and as a cinematic experience but really really poor in gameplay. The best parts in the game are the puzzles, IMO

In Tomb Raider 2013 you definitively "play" the game. There is upgrades for weapons, collectables items, nice puzzles, and much more freedom to explore.

I know a lot of people disagree on my opinion but Uncharted never impressed me in terms of gameplay and variety, and that's what really matters for me when playing a game.

* I am not being a fanboy, please. For me The Last of Us is one of the most incredibles games of all time. It has everything that Uncharted doesn't.

If she could shut the fuck up for more than 5 seconds that would be great, besides that this looked so much better than what MS showed at the conference.

They should have shown this at e3 instead of her climbing lol This looks amazing! I love the emphasis on survival this time around.

I want it and I want it NOW.

Do we know if theres any significant differences between 360 and One? Also how long this timed exclusivity is gonna last?

I'm leaning towards a PS4 as they have far more exclusives I want to play, but I want this so badly.. I do have a 360 but part of me wants to wait it out and not sacrifice missing content. :(

Chobel

The effect when she traversing snow (snow trace) sucks.

EDIT: And VO still sucks, they should really replace Camilla Luddington with someone else.

Ah!....have they given a date for the PC version yet?

No, but the rumor it's 6 month timed exclusive.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Looks awesome.

Do we really need post like waiting for pc, PS4 version in every Tomb Raider thread?

purg3

slept with Malkin
I liked this demo much better than the MS stage demo. It made me way more interested in this game.

CHC

Eh coming from someone who didn't really love the first one, this isn't winning me over. It's similarly drab, colorless, and overly serious / urgent.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I suppose it looks good graphically. I feel like there's too many other games coming between now and 2016 for me to really pay attention to this one.

Zakalwe

Banned
Looks awesome.

Do we really need post like waiting for pc, PS4 qversion in every Tomb Raider thread?

They're just people who are excited to play it, and can't day one because it's not there day one.

Same as people saying "can't wait, day one!".

Stop being so miserable.

Liamario

Banned
It looks fun, not a huge departure from the first game (not necessarily a bad thing). Can't wait to play it when it comes to PS4.

It's very strange that they didn't show this instead of the gameplay they showed at the conference. This is what gamers want to see!

Pooya

Atmosphere and art direction are really good like the first game. Still can't stand this Lara talking to herself way too much, the voice is way too overacted still. Same bleh dialog too. After how bad story and characters were in the first game, I didn't expect much here anyway. Other than that looks like a competent action adventure game which isn't a bad thing but doesn't blow my minds or anything. Seems like an ok game like the first one.

md99

Banned
Although Horizon was imo the game of e3 by some considerable distance, this is what I was looking forward to most. I loved the reboot, its one of the few games I've played through and replayed over the last few years so I'm as happy as a pig in shit to see Rise looking as good as it does.

I hope the 360 version will be done well, not buying an XBO and a PC upgrade to get it running at ultra setting will cost too much.

I thought that looked terrible. Then again, I disliked the last TR and UC doesnt do anything for me. Was hoping this would be more like TR Anniversary or Underworld. But it looks like they are set on the direction they wanna take this game into.

Thats fine, I can just pretend this franchise was sacrificed so Deus Ex could live again.

KieranD

Banned
Loved the first one. This looks great. Waiting on PS4 or PC version though. (I own an XBO but I want the best graphics available, and Fallout 4 launches that day so I'll be busy anyways.)

Looks great though. Hope it does well.

After seeing Halo 5 and Gears 4 gameplay are you trying to say the xbox one graphics are crap really?

Tomb raider is 1080p i read.

kodecraft

Looks awesome.

Do we really need post like waiting for pc, PS4 version in every Tomb Raider thread?

I agree, just like when people feel like they have to post what version they are getting of a game, I'm like....who cares.

Can't wait for this game though.

Zakalwe

Banned
Although Horizon was imo the game of e3 by some considerable distance, this is what I was looking forward to most. I loved the reboot, its one of the few games I've played through and replayed over the last few years so I'm as happy as a pig in shit to see Rise looking as good as it does.

I hope the 360 version will be done well, not buying an XBO and a PC upgrade to get it running at ultra setting will cost too much.

Why would you need ultra settings if you're happy to play on 360?

What system do you have? You might be able to get the same graphical settings as 360 but with a better frame rate (but you'd also have to wait, of course).

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
looks amazing! can't wait to play it next year.
Only thing that still bothers me is the noticeable difference between cutscene and gameplay. It was weird in the reboot and still is kinda odd

Rupe

Neo Member
First one has a good discount on EU PSN. What's the consensus on that one? I love Uncharted and I've heard this is like a goofy Uncharted. I hate stupid AAA game storylines, but if the gameplay is good I can just check my cellphone while the dumb cutscenes are playing.

Depends on what you want from this type of game, the gameplay mechanics are great, but the game itself is pretty bland. The story is atrocious most of the time.

Quoting myself from the other thread:

OK so my point with this game, TR reboot is a great game when it comes to mechanics, it feels great to shoot, it feels great to jump and to climb, then what's the problem? The game doesn't do anything interesting with them.

Let's use (arguably) the best Uncharted game as a reference, Uncharted 2. The shooting mechanics aren't as sound, the platforming sections aren't that great either, some would even say there's point in having those. The answer is pacing. If your game is running around gunning wave after wave of enemies it's going to get boring.

I know TR has areas where you have platforming and those are welcomed, but they're not well distributed throughout the campaign. And this is something you can see ND were really careful when making the game. Did you know the iconic (at the time), jeep section on Uncharted 2 was shortened a lot because it didn't feel right with the pace of the game?

In TR you get the feeling you've been doing the same thing for the last hour until the throw you a bone. Then you can't even compare action sequences, the attention to detail is staggering in Uncharted, in TR you get a slide or a collapsing path various times. And then the story and the characters... This doesn't need any arguments.

To me TR 2013 felt like a soulless copy of Uncharted 2, where you get a few good mechanics and an amalgamation of things that made both series great in the past. But whoever was making the game fail to realize why those elements were good or how to use in the game's advantage.

XOMTOR

Sorry but that was terrible. I watched a second time and timed it and this is how the video breaks down:

0:00-1:32 - cutscene
1:32-2:14 - pushing forward on stick (while Lara talks to herself annoyingly)
2:14-2:22 - mini-cutscene
2:22-2:33 - push forward on stick some more
2:33-3:32 - push forward on stick some more still
3:32-4:41 - cutscene
4:41-5:35 - menus
5:35-6:23 - cutscene
6:23-7:08- more slow walking
7:08 - pick up collectable
7:08-9:03 - some actual gameplay
7:08-9:51 - more walking
9:51-10-40 - QTE sequence
10:40-11:36 - more slow "push forward on stick" walking
11:36-11:52 - mini cutscene
11:52-13:02 - gameplay
13:02-13:06 - mini cutscene
13:06-13:42 - gameplay
13:42-End - cutscene

I've always been a TR fan but this "gameplay" video isn't instilling any confidence that they'll be able to get the series back to anything close to its roots. Looks to be a retread of TR2013.

Atmosphere looks great, but man am I the only one noticing those horrible faux snow trails? She's got some real snow clearing problem in those legs... or is it the snow repellent boots?

Top Bottom