• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Early 2016. PS4 Holiday 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK128

Not that bad and it falls in line with other deals Microsoft made regarding third party exclusives in the past :).

-Lunches on console first
-Gets a PC release 2-4 months after console launch

But this time, throw in a PS4 port a year after launch (which isn't that bad honestly; was expecting it to launch early 2017 on PS4 or something.....).

Good deal honestly and I hope everyone is happy that they know for sure they will be playing Rise of the Tomb Raider for the console they own.

Kinsella

Banned
Spring PS4 release would have been bad anyway with Uncharted hitting around that time...so they went all in on that exclusivity window. SE getting that MS money.

People said this about Bloodborne too, but somehow I found a way to play multiple games in Spring.

Was there really any doubts that it was timed exclusive?

I'm more surprised at how early they announced the eventual port, I mean they didn't even bother putting it out yet.

hawk2025

Wait, was revealing this at this stage a good idea? I'm sure Microsoft would've preferred or even asked to keep the PS4 version officially in the dark until at least after the Xbone version launches

The ridiculous language and mental gymnastics they were using to hide these versions wasn't doing anything. Despite some people insisting on it, the cat has been out of the bag since a couple of days after the game was shown as exclusive.

Might as well reveal it now.

Was there really any doubts that it was timed exclusive?

I'm more surprised at how early they announced the eventual port, I mean they didn't even bother putting it out yet.

Well, they tried to obfuscate it in many ways by claiming it was like a Dead RIsing 3/Ryse situation, but most people who were paying attention didn't buy it.

Auctopus

It'll be largely irrelevant by the time it arrives on PS4. People move on from games so fast now.

It'll be full price too, up against Winter 2016 titles.

One year for the PS4 version? Jesus Christ, I expected six months maximum. I can't say I'm happy about this, at all.

Aren't most Tomb Raider players on Playstation anyway, according to statistics? They're shooting themselves in the foot with this timed exclusivity, IMO.

Surprised they're not going for summer, next Winter could be packed.

One year for the PS4 version? Jesus Christ, I expected six months maximum. I can't say I'm happy about this, at all.

Aren't most Tomb Raider players on Playstation anyway, according to statistics? They're shooting themselves in the foot with this timed exclusivity, IMO.

Square Enix just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this timed exclusivity, is not going to want to purchase these Tomb Raider games for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square Enix’s other games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square Enix has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square Enix, publicly apologize and release PS4 version alongside PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Carl

It will be like those games PS3 got ports of a year later, where it releases at full price, sells 3 copies, and no one at all is surprised.

Kaizer

Banned
Turned out exactly how I thought it would happen, I figured the game would be out for PS4 the following holiday season. Of course, it'll be the 'Game of the Year' Edition with whatever DLC they put out included.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
What surprises me more is the Windows 10 only information.

MS (and SE) are really banking on the OS adoption to target only the newest release.

Maybe the game is using some dx12 features....but we won't know until at least the X1 launch.

harSon

Banned
I have an XB1 (and PS4), but I'll probably end up getting it for PC - or maybe I'll even wait the year and get a GOTY edition. I'm committed to not buying any new games till I beat the dozens of unopened/unplayed ones I've amassed this generation -_-

Also - I understand the benefit to the platform receiving the timed exclusivity, but it makes little to no sense for the publisher/developer. Especially for a game like Tomb Raider, which was a hit across all platforms it released on.

DigitalDivide

Neo Member
I'm waiting for "Preorder the Rise of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Day One Edition for PS4 and get access to the Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom