• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Early 2016. PS4 Holiday 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGuy

One year may as well be full exclusivity for all the difference it's going to make. I'm sure Sony are going to attempt to wrangle the same deal out of SE for the FF7 remake now (if they weren't vying for it all along).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
zCyH07q.gif

Well...on the possible plus side, atleast that gives Nixxes time to do both the 360 and PS4 versions....still waiting for the PS4 version.

Vire

No one is gonna give a shit about Tomb Raider in the Fall of 2016. So I guess mission accomplished Microsoft.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
probably want to get those preorder numbers up

For what i'm seeing in this thread the announcement had the opposite effect.

But, as GAF isn't a good barometer for the general market who knows.....

Harlequin

The ridiculous language and mental gymnastics they were using to hide these versions wasn't doing anything. Despite some people insisting on it, the cat has been out of the bag since a couple of days after the game was shown as exclusive.

Might as well reveal it now.

On here and on TR fan forums, sure, everyone knew that there'd be PS4 and PC versions. But up until now you could still find many, many people in the comments sections of gaming news sites who actually, genuinely thought it was a full-on, permanent Xbox exclusive. I think Microsoft and Square were quite successful in confusing a good number of people with their manipulative wording.

I agree with many of the statements regarding sale potential. If they are releasing that late on PS4, MS must have given them a lot of money.

That money should cover all PS4 potential sales.
I think it's better for SE to release it on Summer or Fall but maybe MS deal blocks it so they don't have any choices

It would have sold a lot more if it wasn't exclusive. Now it's going to release when the console already has Uncharted 4 and the collection. It's like Square didn't learn anything from last gen when it comes to exclusives. Oh well.

Holiday 2016 with Mass Effect and who knows what else available, too. I can't speak for anyone else but spending money on a cross-gen game a year and a half from now isn't anywhere on my list.

Square really sabotaged the fuck out of Tomb Raider.

Smokey

TR was great. Looking forward to this one.

Will Gamefly X1 version. Most likely purchase PC version. PS4 version for trophies.

:p

eFKac

I'm actually surprised, thought it will end up on PC only and skipping PS4 like Titanfall. Not sure if I'll get it, don't really like being treated like a second class citizen, I guess I'll see if the game is good and what comes in the package year later.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Too late, and if they plan a sequel it'll be based off X1 sales coming that late with a sequel in 2017 some might not want another TR so soon on PS4.
I think SE has fucked up, time of release can make or break anything, the game really needs to perform well on X1.

So are people still not going to get this , like they said during it's E3 reveal, because it was exclusive for the X1?

shit is going to feel so outdated buy then. Lots of great games coming before then, including Uncharted 4. Square Enix done goofed. I'm buying it used not giving them any of my money.

Alienous

any chance the later ports get exclusive content added to them?

I imagine at least the PS4 version would, otherwise there'd be a ton of day-1 DLC on release. Unless they delay all of the DLC too which would probably hurt overall sales more than it would help.

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
I for one am really confused why they would announce the release dates of the PC and PS4 version even before the Xbox One and 360 versions are out.

ryseing

One year may as well be full exclusivity for all the difference it's going to make. I'm sure Sony are going to attempt to wrangle the same deal out of SE for the FF7 remake now (if they weren't vying for it all along).

According to one of the mods FF7 RE's console exclusivity lasts the entire generation.

hawk2025

On here and on TR fan forums, sure, everyone knew that there'd be PS4 and PC versions. But up until now you could still find many, many people in the comments sections of gaming news sites who actually, genuinely thought it was a full-on, permanent Xbox exclusive. I think Microsoft and Square were quite successful in confusing a good number of people with their manipulative wording.

Yeah, I revised that statement on the previous page -- it does make a difference to put out a clear and concise press release.

Especially since the last thing we heard from Microsoft on the matter was Phil Spencer claiming this was a Dead Rising 3/Ryse situation, which is in retrospect clearly misleading.

So the next question is why now?

Jomjom

Banned
If it's a good game it'll sell despite all the (imo idiotic) thirst for day 1 and the next big thing. Games often get released on some platform much later and still sell well.

Normally I'd agree but if this is during Holiday 2016 I think it's different. Too many blockbusters. TR will have trouble competing with this year's holiday blockbusters much less next year's.

I think they would have been better with a Feb 2017 date.

Oh well as it stands I expect the game to be about 20 bucks by Feb 2017.

Elios83

Uncharted 4 in spring and the definitive edition of Tomb Raider (with DLCs included) at the end of the year seems the best possible spacing.

cakely

Fantastic! I can definitely wait. I own but have never finished Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

I sincerely hope Microsoft didn't pay too much money for delaying the other versions, because when we already have ship dates for the other platforms it doesn't seem like a great deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just finished Tomb Raider DE on the PS4 earlier this week. It was a fun game, but not anything I need to play at launch, so a year wait won't be hard at all.

I have yet to finish my version, so I am patient. I was not going to pick it up if I get an Xbox One this holiday (baring how good the sales promotions are). My main focus is MCC/Halo 5 and other exclusives.

PS4 will still be the go to for multiplatform games for me.

Seanspeed

Banned
I for one am really confused why they would announce the release dates of the PC and PS4 version even before the Xbox One and 360 versions are out.
It is curious. Part of the deal MUST have been some sort of silence on the availability of other versions.

I sincerely hope Microsoft didn't pay too much money for delaying the other versions,
Aw, that's so sweet of you to care so much about Microsoft.

The logic revolves entirely around Microsoft.

They tried being as ambiguous as possible in order to make it sound like a full exclusive.

Gamers saw right through that, so that plan failed.

Now they are intentionally telling that it is a one-year exclusive because they came to realize how many players were willing to wait it out in order to play it on PS4. This is a calculated move designed to force the hands of such players into biting the XBone bullet.

RibMan

I'm extremely curious to know what went on behind the scenes with this deal.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Why would Square Enix announce this now? Are pre-orders on the Xbox One and 360 versions that low, or did something sour on the Microsoft deal?

Jawmuncher

Makes sense they would want to distance from Uncharted 4. Hell I feel that's why they took the deal in the first place.

jelly

Probably had to for stockholders etc. They have to show the future is bright and what the roadmap is like.

There were GAFers who thought that it was a full-on exclusive because Phil compared the deal to Ryse/Dead Rising 3, even though it's plainly obvious that it was a sleight of hand trick to lead people into thinking it's exclusive, even though he himself never actually called TR a console exclusive.

It is curious. Part of the deal MUST have been some sort of silence on the availability of other versions.

Yea, I'm not sure why the announcement came out either. My understanding was always that people on forums like GAF knew that it was timed but not the general gaming public at large, especially with the wording around it's announcement and even recently at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom