• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Early 2016. PS4 Holiday 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Didn't you say the timed exclusivity was 4-6 months? Think it may have changed recently?

It still applies to the PC version. Around the time of Uncharted's delay I'd still heard it was both but it must have changed within the last few months.

Seth

Honestly, ill forget about it by the time it comes out on ps4. unless they markets it heavily and gets my attention again. Probably woulda bought it pretty soon after release and it came out for ps4. I have no interest in buying games for my xbox one that i could get on ps4.

Spinluck

Perfect, I can enjoy Uncharted 4 and its online long before I get on this.

This year I'll have plenty to keep me satiated, I'm never going to give in to these shitty timed exclusive deals.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
way more PS4 owners than X1 so I don't think it'll hurt that much.

But how that impacts the number of pre-orders of the XB1 version?

If i understood your first post, the announcement was meant to entice people that are interested in the game to buy at launch. But what i'm seeing is PS4/PC owners saying that the will wait.

X1 owners that wanted the game probably would/will get the same the same way.

It still applies to the PC version. Around the time of Uncharted's delay I'd still heard it was both but it must have changed within the last few months.

So... what I'm getting from this is that they really don't the PS4 version to go up against UC4.

mp1990

Banned
Interesting, I wouldn't bet on a 1 Year exclusivity for this one, but it makes more sense than releasing at the same period of Uncharted 4, which i assume would sell more than ROTR. I really dislike the reboot, so I'm not excited at all for this one, but I'll maybe jump into it when it gets cheap.

Granted, everything could be delayed, and much of it might if 2015 is anything to go by, but right now Holiday 2016 sounds like a really terrible time to launch the game.

Somnia

Still getting the XB1 version this holiday. Will play it first before Fallout as Tomb Raider will probably take 12ish hours tops and Fallout 4 will consume me till early 2016.

I'll double dip on the PC version if Rise is good on a steam sale though.

It changed because they realized how many players were willing to wait it out for PS4. They're trying to force players' hands to go XBone. It's a move of desperation. I would imagine that, under the original terms of the deal, they had no intention of revealing the PS4 release date over one year in advance of actual release.

Wynnebeck

Banned
1 year? LOL Watch all the people who won't care with that ridiculous 2016 Holiday lineup coming. Terrible move by Square Enix. MS got them good.

derExperte

Honestly, ill forget about it by the time it comes out on ps4. unless they markets it heavily and gets my attention again. Probably woulda bought it pretty soon after release and it came out for ps4. I have no interest in buying games for my xbox one that i could get on ps4.

So you won't buy it for X1 now because it'll release in a year for PS4 which you will ignore. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Withnail

Maybe they think announcing it now means they can pick up some PS4 and PC pre-orders during Microsoft's forthcoming marketing blitz.

Announced earlier than I thought, but the PS4 version was never in doubt. Despite some posters vociferously arguing otherwise.

The logic revolves entirely around Microsoft.

They tried being as ambiguous as possible in order to make it sound like a full exclusive.

Gamers saw right through that, so that plan failed.

Now they are intentionally telling that it is a one-year exclusive because they came to realize how many players were willing to wait it out in order to play it on PS4. This is a calculated move designed to force the hands of such players into biting the XBone bullet.

That doesn't mean it's wrong. It's just business.

At the end of the day the only thing really separating PS4 and XBO are their exclusives; you need exclusives in order to give your platform an edge. By the time RoTR comes out on PS4 no one will care about it, the game will be old news, especially in the wake of the PC version no less.

At the same time, no shame on Sony for securing SFV exclusive; you have to be fair and see where MS was coming from regarding this RoTR deal. It was almost entirely based around UC4's release.

MisterR

Not sure what's SE plan on releasing PS4 version in Fall 2016, good luck selling it. They should wait till early 2017 if they can't release it earlier.

Good news about this is it will sell like shit and i'll be able to pick it up for 20 bucks or so in January.

I'll be fine with PS4 GOTY Edition with all DLC included (if there are any to be honest XD)
Are they making multiplayer again?

The timing of this announcement confuses me... I figured they'd wait till next year to announce the release date on other platforms.
The timing is fine, if your a huge Tomb Raider fan, you would rather buy the Xbox One and play it in a few months rather than wait a few more months for the PC or even a year for the PS4 version.

Nephtes

The timing of this announcement confuses me... I figured they'd wait till next year to announce the release date on other platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom