• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Early 2016. PS4 Holiday 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Most likely timed to coincide with Super Street Fighter V for the Xbone. These publishers aren't dumb.

So TR will never launch on PS4? Because SFV (or any version) sure isn't going to X1....

Kwakye94

Neo Member
It's gonna be tough to go a year without spoilers... and at that point will I even care? Good news to have to confirmed though

Granted, everything could be delayed, and much of it might if 2015 is anything to go by, but right now Holiday 2016 sounds like a really terrible time to launch the game.

Yep summer would be better. Give Uncharted 4 like March/April/May and launch TR in June like AK.

I already think TR will get eaten alive this fall, and big reason the first game did so well is because it launched in March.

Yeah, right. I just don't feel like supporting companies in selling out their loyal fanbases. If you want to do that, you're free to buy as many new copies of ROTTR as you like.

"I'm not going to give them my money but I will certainly spend time with the games they make!"

Console warring is never logical.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wait, was revealing this at this stage a good idea? I'm sure Microsoft would've preferred or even asked to keep the PS4 version officially in the dark until at least after the Xbone version launches
Maybe because people would have been guessing Spring 2016 for PS4 when they weren't told, so when they are told, the actual one year length deter people from holding out, or at least some of them.

Harlequin

Yeah, I revised that statement on the previous page -- it does make a difference to put out a clear and concise press release.

Especially since the last thing we heard from Microsoft on the matter was Phil Spencer claiming this was a Dead Rising 3/Ryse situation, which is in retrospect clearly misleading.

So the next question is why now?

I can't imagine that it was originally planned to announce the PS4 version now. The PC version? Maybe, considering all the talk from Microsoft about taking PC gaming more seriously but I'm sure the original contract would've kept Square from talking about the PS4 version until a few weeks or maybe even months after the release of the Xbox versions. So something must've changed that either gave Square enough leverage to convince Microsoft to let them announce the PS4 version now or that somehow made it seem like a good idea to Microsoft.

Perhaps there was a clause in the contract that would allow Square to talk about it in case Xbone sales were very low in relation to PS4 sales? Perhaps both companies finally decided that the exclusivity confusion wasn't worth the negative publicity? There also was the rumour that the PS4 version would release six months after the Xbone version. If we assume that this rumour was accurate at the time, then maybe Square renegotiated with Microsoft to extend the exclusivity period (possibly to avoid being too close to Uncharted 4's new release window) and were allowed to drop the secrecy in return? I don't know...

The timing of this announcement confuses me... I figured they'd wait till next year to announce the release date on other platforms.

Going by amazon Preorders for this title are perhaps not where they'd like it to be. Couple that with the fact that outside of NA preorders are damn near non existent in places like the EU I'm guessing they were forced to make it clear to the PS4 instal base that it was on the Horizon.

hawk2025

It's gonna be tough to go a year without spoilers... and at that point will I even care? Good news to have to confirmed though

Do you care about the first game's spoilers? :p

I think people are overestimating the 2016 lineup a bit. I'm sure there will be a healthy number of games coming out, but there will be space for Tomb Raider. It can take Just Cause 3/Hitman's december slot from this year, for example. It's a little more complicated if they can't leverage the September/October dates, but still feasible.

I can't imagine that it was originally planned to announce the PS4 version now. The PC version? Maybe, considering all the talk from Microsoft about taking PC gaming more seriously but I'm sure the original contract would've kept Square from talking about the PS4 version until a few weeks or maybe even months after the release of the Xbox versions. So something must've changed that either gave Square enough leverage to convince Microsoft to let them announce the PS4 version now or that somehow made it seem like a good idea to Microsoft.

Perhaps there was a clause in the contract that would allow Square to talk about it in case Xbone sales were very low in relation to PS4 sales? Perhaps both companies finally decided that the exclusivity confusion wasn't worth the negative publicity? There also was the rumour that the PS4 version would release six months after the Xbone version. If we assume that this rumour was accurate at the time, then maybe Square renegotiated with Microsoft to extend the exclusivity period (possibly to avoid being too close to Uncharted 4's new release window) and were allowed to drop the secrecy in return? I don't know...

I'm thinking there could have been a trigger based on number of pre-orders or something of the sort.

Caleranatior

Neo Member
So they're sending the game out to die twice, once on the day Fallout 4 comes out and again a year later when nobody will give a shit anymore. Great strategy SE.

nampad

1 year console exclusivity is great for MS, though I wonder how much it cost them.
Holiday 2016 could be packed so I don't know if such a late port would still sell that well.

Finally, I was sick of MS dancing around the subject, even though we all knew it was coming.

Well that's one to look forward to next Xmas then, if it turns out to be good (or early 2016 on PC if it's totally awesome)

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Darksouls 3 and Uncharted 4 will keep me busy until the ROTTR release. So I'm ok with it.

jayu26

Going by amazon Preorders for this title are perhaps not where they'd like it to be. Couple that with the fact that outside of NA preorders are damn near non existent in places like the EU I'm guessing they were forced to make it clear to the PS4 instal base that it was on the Horizon.
Nice

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Perfect. That'll give me enough time to finish up Witcher 3 and whatever other games I need to play in 2015 before picking it up on PC in early 2016. Fall is crowded enough as is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn, was expecting this in summer 2016 for PS4. Depending on what's releasing next holiday, I'm not sure when I'll actually be picking it up.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You know what would be really hilarious/fucked up? IF it ends up selling more on PS4 a year later than XB1 at launch. It's not happening but if it did, lmao.

kingwingin

This was a game I was going to buy from the bargain bin regardless of system but I'm glad I can keep it on ps4 now since I have the other tomb raider on it

HardRojo

Also, I think this is actually good news for me in the end. I didn't find the first Tomb Raider enjoyable at all and was hoping the second one will be a complete improvement. This one coming a year later on PS4 will give them time to fix whatever is wrong with the initial release and will give me time to read impressions and be sure if I should spend my money on it or not. Well played Microsoft.

So they're sending the game out to die twice, once on the day Fallout 4 comes out and again a year later when nobody will give a shit anymore. Great strategy SE.

People keep saying this but if Tomb Raider gets an XB1 bundle (which it likely will), it's not really being sent out to die at all. MS has a marketing deal for both titles (TR and Fallout)...I'm sure they know what they're doing. This game exists as a holiday exclusive in the first place to move consoles.

Alienous

The length of time between releases works against me getting it on Xbox One, I think.

It if were a three month difference between the release on Xbox One and PS4 I'd be inclined to just get it on the Xbox One anyway, because the difference in the content of those games would probably be arbitrary.

A year 'delay', especially releasing after Uncharted 4, gets me thinking that the PS4 version will be a superior version. That they will have no choice but to 'sweeten the deal' or sell poorly on the console with the higher install base.

I guess Rise of the Tomb Raider just wasn't one of those "I have to get it" types of games for me, but I probably would have gotten it for Xbox One had I not been aware of when the PS4 version was releasing, or if it released earlier.

Do you care about the first game's spoilers? :p

I think people are overestimating the 2016 lineup a bit. I'm sure there will be a healthy number of games coming out, but there will be space for Tomb Raider. It can take Just Cause 3/Hitman's december slot from this year, for example.

The problem is SE choose Holiday for it :\
You really don't want to release a late port in Holiday

gtj1092

Wonder what prompted them to announce this before launch. Trying to push people not to wait or get people to stay interested in a ps4 version to increase preorders.

Knew it. I always thought it would either not come to PS4 at all, or if it did, it would be something like late 2016.

Come on man. really?

Why would it not be released on the system that's selling the most consoles? Plus it's Tomb Raider, a franchise that has been associated with PlayStation since the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom