• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Resident Evil 4: The most complete party ever thrown.

News Bot

Banned
Is there a site or something where I can get all the differences, etc.? This sort of trivia is pretty cool.

http://projectumbrella.net (the files section primarily)
http://projectumbrella.net/forum/Various-Translations

The scripts, dialogue etc will take a bit more time. I got the bulk of BH0's scenario translated but it needs a lot of going over, and I'm working on BH4 at the moment alongside two books (three if you count the slight variations and extra info in the third).

Info on the fact that the Tyrant has several hearts that actually give it its superior performance and the fact that B.O.W.s are mass-produced via cloning and such. Really great stuff if you're into the details like me.

Of course it is. It doesn't take a detailed dissection to realize that weapons, their accuracy (cursor shake), enemy speeds, etc are balanced around the limited precision of an analog stick/d-pad to aim. The distance factor (your aim becomes exponentially more inaccurate as the distance increases -- no longer with a static crosshair!) is completely whacked as well, making weapons like snipers near completely useless and also poos on the balance of the game further.

All true. But I gotta say, playing with the IR aiming is just so much FUN! Yes, it kills the tension somewhat, but the trade-off is the great feeling of being such a bad-ass. I only wish the IR aiming didn't come with that huge cursor. I'd LOVE to play with IR aiming, but no change in the graphics - still just the laser with its dot that only appears on-target.

Risette

A Good Citizen
All true. But I gotta say, playing with the IR aiming is just so much FUN! Yes, it kills the tension somewhat, but the trade-off is the great feeling of being such a bad-ass. I only wish the IR aiming didn't come with that huge cursor. I'd LOVE to play with IR aiming, but no change in the graphics - still just the laser with its dot that only appears on-target.
Hey, I never denied it was fun! But it irks me when I see people try to kick the pad controls to the curb, for obvious reasons...

I wonder how a RE4 HD PC port with proper mouselook would be. Did the fans ever hack that into the existing PC port? Would be more accurate than the pointer I'd think. Could make for some interesting speedruns.

Curufinwe

When I first played Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube I thought the controls and the aiming felt kind of off, but I had bought a third-party Dual Shock-style controller along with RE4 and a GameCube because I thought I wouldn't like the GC pad. Unsurprisingly, the quality of the analog sticks on the third party controller were poor, with large deadzones. The air vents were nice, though.

Once I plugged in the proper controller the aiming clicked right away.

Hypron

Hey, I never denied it was fun! But it irks me when I see people try to kick the pad controls to the curb, for obvious reasons...

I wonder how a RE4 HD PC port with proper mouselook would be. Did the fans ever hack that into the existing PC port? Would be more accurate than the pointer I'd think. Could make for some interesting speedruns.

Well it'd probably control like RE5. It worked really well and the added accuracy made the game that much more fun to play (I played both the PS3 and the PC version several times, and I can't even consider going back to playing the game with a controller). The only downside is that they replaced the laser pointer by a cross-hair... It made aiming even easier (it changed colour when on top of enemies) which was especially handy when playing mercenaries, but it really took away from the immersion.

bomma_man

The main reason I haven't bough the HD version is that playing RE4 with a dualshock seems like a punishment that shouldn't be inflicted on anyone

george_us

Playing this and playing RE6 at the same time is hilarious. I can't believe how bad 6 is compared to it. The only thing I'd had is a side dodge and the ability to walk and shoot at the same time.

K' Dash

I think it's slight silliness is part of it's brilliance. It allows for the inclusion of super contrived and superficially incorrect aspects of progression, puzzles, unthinkable geometry, etc, but because the game exists in this slightly comedic take on horror, that all feels really fitting. They can be there just because they're great fun, not for any logical reason without being a distraction. It's even more impressive that while having this unusual style, it can still be really unnerving, and keep you on the edge for extended periods.

This is why it will be impossible to replicate RE4, the silines and one liners strangely fit so well into this game, the fact that it doesnt take itself seriously its why I love it above the rest.

I'm not sure why you'd consider anybody crazy for being disappointed that visual effects were removed in a re-release of a game, especially when other versions of the game aren't hard to play.

It also lacks the bloom in the dragon room and depth of field in cutscenes.

I beat the game twice on PS2 and PS3 and honestly I didn't like the game all that much. I loved the village part but after that the game falls apart, I really didn't like the castle level at all....

StuBurns

Banned
Remember when Capcom made awesome games last gen? RE4, VJ, Okami, and Killer 7 to name a few.
Well, I thought Killer 7 was shit, but that aside, no publisher has fallen further from grace this generation. Last generation they made three really good Onimusha games, REmake/4, Okami, DMC1/3, God Hand, and VJ. Some of the best games ever made. This generation they've made? I struggle to name one great game that isn't a version of Street Fighter. Dragon's Dogma is probably the best of the bunch, but even that would be weaker than every game I just mentioned.

DMC4 is ok for me and Dead Rising is very good. They were in pretty good at the start of the gen.

But no wonder they can't reach the same level as last gen, more than half of the best last gen Capcom games were made by people that aren't on the company anymore.

StuBurns

Banned
You sound like McElroy reviewing Nier.

There's an incredible amount of depth in the mechanics to go along with the fantastic graphics and performance even on modest machines. Not as good as DMC 3 SE, but not that far off.
I hated the cheap reuse of environments, and Nero.

I hated Dead Rising.

Wait, what happened?

I remembered you being positive about it pre-release. An unexpected turn of events.

I did enjoy the demo and I thought the game would at least have a story that pushed the narrative forward in a decent way considering all the returning characters.

After actually finishing the game, the only comparable disappointment I can think of in recent memory would be Spider-man 3. RE6 is probably the worst game I've ever been hyped for. It was so bad that it made me lose interest in the entire series. They're going to have to knock RE7 out of the fucking park and then some to get me back on board because if it took 600 people working for 3+ years to turn out a trainwreck like this, I see no conceivable way they can properly prepare a ham sandwich let alone make a good videogame.

RE6 is the biggest clusterfuck of stupid and poorly executed decisions that I think has ever went into a large-scale mainstream title. In the long run it was even less of what I want out of this franchise than RE4, but at least RE4 was always a very good, well designed game. And no, this is not me overreacting in order to switch over to the general consensus. In this case I really, really hated being wrong. Embarrassingly so.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I did enjoy the demo and I thought the game would at least have a story that pushed the narrative forward in a decent way considering all the returning characters.

After actually finishing the game, the only comparable disappointment I can think of in recent memory would be Spider-man 3. RE6 is probably the worst game I've ever been hyped for. It was so bad that it made me lose interest in the entire series. They're going to have to knock RE7 out of the fucking park and then some to get me back on board because if it took 600 people working for 3+ years to turn out a trainwreck like this, I see no conceivable way they can properly prepare a ham sandwich let alone make a good videogame.

RE6 is the biggest clusterfuck of stupid and poorly executed decisions that I think has ever went into a large-scale mainstream title. In the long run it was even less of what I want out of this franchise than RE4, but at least RE4 was always a very good, well designed game. And no, this is not me overreacting in order to switch over to the general consensus. In this case I really, really hated being wrong. Embarrassingly so.
I see. It sounds pretty bad! By Spiderman 3 level, do you mean it retroactively ruins the rest of the series too? :(

A friend of mine has been giving me a play by play of the worst parts of RE6 on Steam chat, and at one point he even described it as "sub-Simple 2000 level" during a vehicle section, I believe. That's, um, not a flattering description. (although it's always been a given that the EDF games were better than RE6, but they're special)
Did the vehicle sections do you in too?

I would say that at this point Capcom is obviously lost. I don't have any hope for RE7. Not that I had any for RE6, but they (repeatedly) managed to shatter my expectations of how bad it could be to the point where I won't even be buying it. That's a pretty big fall-off for what used to be one of my favorite series... I even bought RE5 day one with semi-positive thoughts on the brain. The only decent director/team left at Capcom is Itsuno and whoever his team is. The rest of them? Similar to you, I wouldn't trust them to make me a sandwich for free (or other simple things that need to be made, like my bed), much less a game that costs money and takes hours of my time to play.

I recommend a playthrough of RE4 to wash away the bad taste. :)

I see. It sounds pretty bad! By Spiderman 3 level, do you mean it retroactively ruins the rest of the series too? :(

Like I said, I kind of don't care about Resident Evil in general any more. It's not really solely because of 6; it's been boiling since RE4 threw out most of the reasons why I got into the series in the first place, 5 coming out and being a rehash of 4 only it was a lot more care-free, Operation Raccoon City being a pile of shit, Revelations being laughably idiotic, and RE6, finally, somehow, being one of the worst games I've ever played.

So yeah, it's been on a steady decline and I wouldn't call RE6 the reason why I've lost interest in the series, but it was the final nail in the coffin. Like Spider-man 3, it makes me look at the other two (IMO great) flicks and say "you guys are good, but it's unfortunate what you're building toward."

Now, would all it take is a great RE7 that gets the story and atmosphere and overall "style" back on track? Probably, but at this point, as you said, I don't have any hope for 7.

omonimo

Banned

Well, if you have played the demo, I don't understand what did you expected to RE6; reading someone here, demo was infinitely worse of the whole game. Anyway, forget RE6 & replay RE4 without problems, this game still remain a masterpiece.

GeekyDad

Well, if you have played the demo, I don't understand what did you expected to RE6; reading someone here, demo was infinitely worse of the whole game. Anyway, forget RE6 & replay RE4 without problems, this game still remain a masterpiece.

QFT

Everything about this post rings true.

And yeah, RE4 is a masterpiece. Just because people have moved on doesn't give license to shit on it all of a sudden. It kind of overstays its welcome toward the end, but it never "falls apart." Players may fail the game, but the game never fails the player.

Well, if you have played the demo, I don't understand what did you expected to RE6; reading someone here, demo was infinitely worse of the whole game.

This one's tricky. After playing the demo I was optimistic for Leon's story, a little less for Chris', and even less for Jake's. However, I don't really play demos and throw the stamp down. It's a demo. I thought it had some good elements in it and I was intrigued to play more to see where it went. That, and I'm admittedly a very optimistic person-- it's just how I roll. I like to enjoy things and I like having a positive attitude. Regardless, I won't sugar coat what I think about something. Some may think I do, but that's for them to decide I guess.

However, the overall game presented so many more problems than what were present in the demo. My main beef? Just like with RE4 and RE5, I didn't get any trace of "Resident Evil" out of it. That's my biggest, chief complaint right there. Here's how I do things: if I grow to love something, it's for a reason. The reasons why I used to love the franchise were wiped clean after Code: Veronica. I haven't played a Resident Evil game since then-- and that shit was over a decade ago.

It's not so much about the controls or the emphasis on action-- I've always felt that the RE games had an abundance of action, and they've always had these cheesy b-movie type stories. For me, therein lies some of the charm. RE for me has always been about that, being lost in environments while trying to solve puzzles and fend off zany creations that stand between me and the Pearl Key which will lead me to the Elephant Tusk that I need to unlock the door to the .357 magnum so I can blow a tyrant out of a fucking airplane. I love it.

RE6 is a menagerie of fatal game design decisions that, outside of the zombie window dressing and the occasional cool RE-ish type creature, contain zero elements of why and how the series originally became popular. It's true that RE4 brought a lot of popularity back to it, and that's because it's a well designed game. A lot of people didn't care that it lacked some of the "essentials." That's fair. It's fun as hell, has a load of content, does have its atmosphere here and there, etc. However, I didn't see it as an RE game and I sure as fuck do not see 6 as an RE game. I don't even know what 6 is. 6 doesn't even know what 6 is.

StuBurns

Banned
I finished Separate Ways and Assignment Ada, the former really pales in comparison to the main campaign, and I don't really understand why all the cutscenes are shitty prerecorded PS2 stuff, it's ugly as hell.

It's odd though, I think the original PS2 content is actually the most elaborate of the game, there doesn't seem to be any levels as geometrically rich as the ship yard. It's a crap level, but in some ways, more impressive than anything in the campaign.

AA was kind of cool, short, and quite intense, harder than the main game, and I really liked Ada's costume in it.

Really neither are anything special, I probably wouldn't bother with them again, although I'm sure RE4 has a play or two left in it for me.

I think the HD port is mostly good, and certainly a step up for the other versions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Separate Ways was a look at what we might expect from RE5. A completely mediocre take on RE4.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
RE5 is great btw, I don't get the hate. It's replayable as fuck.

Some minor complaints like the cover system (I didn't have problems with it personally but I would've like more options while covering), wtf enemies like the reaper (seriously fuck that one-hit-kill move) and I miss some of the cheese of RE4, the story tries too hard to be serious it needed more one-liners. Otherwise great game all around.

.la1n

Some minor complaints like the cover system (I didn't have problems with it personally but I would've like more options while covering), wtf enemies like the reaper (seriously fuck that one-hit-kill move) and I miss some of the cheese of RE4, the story tries too hard to be serious it needed more one-liners. Otherwise great game all around.

I am glad you enjoyed it but I think for most of us RE5 was the beginning of the end. Shitty AI / Co Op forced down my throat, horrible locations. Enemies weren't interesting. Punching boulders.

Bumping this up to let you know I haven't just blown this off nor have I retreated. My work takes a great deal of my time away from me, and there are (hopefully understandably) more important things for me to deal with when my time is much more free.

I'm contemplating actually starting a thread discussing the problems evident in the game. Of course, such a project would require some time to prepare, and I'm not exactly free to do such an undertaking presently. However, when the weather takes a downturn - and it will this winter - I'll have plenty of time to indulge.

And contrary to The Mana Legend's insistance, I sincerely have no intention of crapping up the love fest this thread has been over the last several pages. So my question is should I really start a thread specifically to address the criticisms of my (and likely a few others') criticisms, or would this thread still be suitable?

Bladenic

Agreed completely, and I actually don't mind cover, the Reaper is a cool and challenging enemy, and the story still had tons of one-liners.

And I love the locations.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I care, thanks.

Who do you think you're going to convince? If your overall point is that it's not a "perfect game" don't bother writing a manifesto about it. No one actually holds the position that it is literally perfect. The laundry list of complaints you've already aired in this thread didn't convince anyone of anything. Why spend more time on it?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Bumping this up to let you know I haven't just blown this off nor have I retreated. My work takes a great deal of my time away from me, and there are (hopefully understandably) more important things for me to deal with when my time is much more free.

I'm contemplating actually starting a thread discussing the problems evident in the game. Of course, such a project would require some time to prepare, and I'm not exactly free to do such an undertaking presently. However, when the weather takes a downturn - and it will this winter - I'll have plenty of time to indulge.

And contrary to The Mana Legend's insistance, I sincerely have no intention of crapping up the love fest this thread has been over the last several pages. So my question is should I really start a thread specifically to address the criticisms of my (and likely a few others') criticisms, or would this thread still be suitable?
If it's going to be more "it's not what I wanted from Resident Evil" or "it's fine but not in my Resident Evil" stuff then please don't waste your time or mine. Replying to a reply to my large reply will take time and as such, it better be interesting.

Other than that (and descriptions in place of criticism), I will gladly reply again, I'm not trying to close off discussion. I enjoy it, actually. I just don't want to wade through that sort of stuff again. Mostly, it is because I am interested in discussing RE4 as a game relative to the medium as a whole, not as a part of a series with some spiritual reasoning as to why it's a bad entry into the seies.

Who do you think you're going to convince? If your overall point is that it's not a "perfect game" don't bother writing a manifesto about it. No one actually holds the position that it is literally perfect. The laundry list of complaints you've already aired in this thread didn't convince anyone of anything. Why spend more time on it?

Because the last thing I need is for anyone to just assume I turned tail and ran from the discussion because I hold an unpopular stance? A lame reason? Okay. Because I have just as much a right to air my grievances as anyone else does in games they find massive fault with? It kinda sorta happens all the time here, I'm sure you've noticed.

The problem is, that preaching to the choir about how awful game X is when game X is commonly regarded as awful neither generates quality discussion, nor does it fix anything. It causes no one to reconsider a view they hold and serves no useful purpose. The inverse is true, too. If everyone sits around circle jerking about game Y and abjectly refuses to even acknowledge the things it failed at, that's something I consider an equal travesty.

If it's that painful to engage me in a discussion, a quality one I think, then I'll gladly back off. But every time a Resident Evil 4 thread is brought up proclaiming it's absolute perfection, don't seriously expect for me to sit by and keep quiet just because my position doesn't jive with the majority.

Bladenic

Because the last thing I need is for anyone to just assume I turned tail and ran from the discussion because I hold an unpopular stance? A lame reason? Okay. Because I have just as much a right to air my grievances as anyone else does in games they find massive fault with? It kinda sorta happens all the time here, I'm sure you've noticed.

The problem is, that preaching to the choir about how awful game X is when game X is commonly regarded as awful neither generates quality discussion, nor does it fix anything. It causes no one to reconsider a view they hold and serves no useful purpose. The inverse is true, too. If everyone sits around circle jerking about game Y and abjectly refuses to even acknowledge the things it failed at, that's something I consider an equal travesty.

If it's that painful to engage me in a discussion, a quality one I think, then I'll gladly back off. But every time a Resident Evil 4 thread is brought up proclaiming it's absolute perfection, don't seriously expect for me to sit by and keep quiet just because my position doesn't jive with the majority.

Lol dude you don't like the game, okay fine everyone gets it. I don't think making a new topic about everything that is wrong with the game is the answer because it wont change everyone else's opinion, and you're probably gonna get a lot of "OP is terribly wrong" and "your opinion sucks OP" etc.

Earlier in this thread you listed terrible characters and useless characters as two separate complaints for RE4.

Forgive us if we don't think you're terribly incisive.

Lol dude you don't like the game, okay fine everyone gets it. I don't think making a new topic about everything that is wrong with the game is the answer because it wont change everyone else's opinion, and you're probably gonna get a lot of "OP is terribly wrong" and "your opinion sucks OP" etc.

I'm well aware of that. When popular opinions are challenged, people get defensive.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm well aware of that. When popular opinions are challenged, people get defensive.
I don't know if it's just me but I feel like you're playing the victim card a bit much. You seem to be under the belief that you're some sort of crusader for balanced discussion, attempting to smash the RE4 circlejerks with these "challenging opinions", causing the circlejerkists to become angry at you, lunging towards you in their pain, discomfort, and confusion.

But as I demonstrated over a week ago, that grocery list of yours was essentially nothing. You didn't challenge anything, you didn't have a stance. People aren't exactly defensive with your posts as they don't really say anything. They're just irritated because you are, as far as they can tell, intentionally irritating them. Perhaps it's not true and you just needed a spark to voice your stance in an understandable way, but they do give off that vibe and it's easy to see why people react the way they do.

However, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, which is why I made my post easy to reply to despite its length, breaking it up in nice focused chunks. I am interested in discussion.

Top Bottom