• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Resident Evil 4: The most complete party ever thrown.

StuBurns

Banned
The Wii version added the specular effects?

It doesn't matter much which version the effects originated in, really. It sounds like RE4 Gamecube/RE4 Wii (depending on the above) is the most complex version asset-wise, and given that the game was made for SD displays in the first place, I don't think I'll miss the resolution increase provided by the HD releases.

There's also the matter of audio quality, if I'm remembering right.
If you don't care about the resolution, then obviously the other two options are less preferable.

I've been thinking about playing this game on Professional. I've only played the PS2 version on Normal, back when that was released.

I figure my choices are:

- Wii version on SDTV with Gamecube controller.
- HD release on 360
- Wii version in Dolphin

I'm not sure that I trust Dolphin, yet. Has anybody played through the entire game with Dolphin? How often have you run into issues? If the HD version straight-up lacks specular effects, as suggested in this thread, I don't think I can play it.

Hope I can go back to this after RE6!

The GC version has sound problems as most Capcom games does in Dolphin. I don't think they have been solved. Apart from that, I think it runs flawlessly. I don't know about the Wii version on Dolphin.

HD lacks specular effects. IS the reason I didn't buy the HD version.

The GC version has sound problems as most Capcom games does in Dolphin. I don't think they have been solved. Apart from that, I think it runs flawlessly. I don't know about the Wii version on Dolphin.

No specular effects in the HD version? Why? I thought it was based on the GC code.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Can anyone list all the places specular effects are missing?

All I heard was that some of the monster tentacles weren't as slimy looking. Is there a more pervasive difference than that?

I only played the PS2 version before the HD remaster, so I probably don't know what I'm missing.

Can anyone list all the places specular effects are missing?

All I heard was that some of the monster tentacles weren't as slimy looking. Is there a more pervasive difference than that?

I only played the PS2 version before the HD remaster, so I probably don't know what I'm missing.

Everywhere, I'd assume :x

Ashley's belt, slimy monsters, ect.

Still the best version, though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
And i also totally disagree with you. The original formula of Resident Evil is about the question: Fighting or Evading? This all comes back to the limited (and bad) controls of the series, which are an consequence of the prerendered backgrounds. But the developers use them to there advance to create a game of limited choices and controls. Learning to deal with the controls and choice wisely between fighting or evading is the point of the game. Fighting makes moving through the levels much easier, but also takes away your limited ammunition, what could create problems in the long run. Evading let you keep you supplies for important times, but you have to know your environment and plan your movement much more to successfully survive. Its a game about risks, planing and the unknown. Resident Evils shows, how you can successfully make bad controls an important point of your game.

Now, we have Resident Evil 4. The developers do not need prerendered backgrounds anymore and can create much "better" controls. Shooting and Evading becomes much easier in the process. This is also the time the developers discover, how much fun shooting makes on its own and create Resident Evil 4 based on this experience. A very fun specialization of the series, but not an overall evolution, since evading with its planing, discovering, orientation and remembering falls flat in the game. It is the part many people miss from the Resident Evil Series and the reason why Resident Evil 4 should have been an spin-off.

I thought the original game concept of Resident Evil was an action game about completing a game with limited supplies(saves, ammo, health items)

So yeah Resident Evil 4 doesn't have alot to do with the original concept, outside of sharing the control scheme and being loosely based on horror elements

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Everywhere, I'd assume :x

Ashley's belt, slimy monsters, ect.

Still the best version, though.

But specifically what things? Things you can actually see a lot of the time (e.g., Leon's hair)? Things that look drastically different without the effect? This is important because I need to know how crazy I should think people are if they complain about it.

I mean, Ashley's belt? Seriously?

Tain

I'm not sure why you'd consider anybody crazy for being disappointed that visual effects were removed in a re-release of a game, especially when other versions of the game aren't hard to play.

omonimo

Banned

Can you be more specific & if possible, post some example? From what I have seen some of those effects are implemented differently but don't lack at all. I have in mind the water waves where on GC were polygonal, on ps360 are replaced with transparancies, but they have added real time reflections; on GC this particular is absent.

Curufinwe

I'm not sure why you'd consider anybody crazy for being disappointed that visual effects were removed in a re-release of a game, especially when other versions of the game aren't hard to play.

I think anyone who plays the Wii, GC or PS2 versions on a HDTV is kind of crazy because they look terrible compared to the HD version.

If you still have a CRT to play them on then that's different.

Can I interject and say I'd love a portable RE4? One of 3DS or Vita. Mmmmm.

The OP says he beat RE4 a whopping 3 times. I beat it 9. Yeah.

I want RE4 to become my second most beat game of all-time. It won't ever beat the 253 times I've beaten Sonic 2, but I only have 20 more playthroughs to pass Legend of Mana as my second most played game ever.

As such, and seeing how amazing Revelations looks, I would die for an RE4 3DS...Especially if it had a Raid Mode. *Drools*

CO_Andy

I played through RE4 four times.

The fourth time i used an Action Replay to play through the campaign mode with Wesker/Ada. Good times.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this thread made me want to replay the game... again.

too bad sd games on hdtv look like horseshit.

StuBurns

Banned
this thread made me want to replay the game... again.

too bad sd games on hdtv look like horseshit.
It's not beautiful, but the HD port does look fine to me. Actually, I'm surprised, MGS3 looks better, and RE4 was probably the best looking GC (maybe second to MP2?).

It's not beautiful, but the HD port does look fine to me. Actually, I'm surprised, MGS3 looks better, and RE4 was probably the best looking GC (maybe second to MP2?).

Yeah, the HD version is pretty much a must if you want to replay it and don't care too much about the game not looking that beautiful anymore.

Risette

A Good Citizen
@Tain

The only thing the HD port is missing is a hardware effect that they couldn't just port over. It's only used on a few objects and creatures and does not really effect the look of the game.

It's a better solution to the number of glitches in Dolphin or the murky 16-bit 360p of the GC/Wii versions natively. Although if you have a CRT then I'd encourage playing the Gamecube version on a Gamecube (not Wii!) with Gamecube component cables, as the Wii's component output is notably inferior. Separate Ways is junk and while it's a decent fun sort of junk, I'd take the superior output.

So basically,

Modern HD display - PS3/360 version
CRT - GC version with component out

Tain

Okay, so it sounds like "specular mapping" might be a bit too broad, then, if it's only used on a few objects.

w/e, playing the original on my SDTV does sound like the easiest solution here. Noted! Maybe I'll have a Gamecube (wanted one for GBA games anyway) by the time I play this.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Okay, so it sounds like "specular mapping" might be a bit too broad, then, if it's only used on a few objects.

w/e, playing the original on my SDTV does sound like the easiest solution here. Noted! Maybe I'll have a Gamecube (wanted one for GBA games anyway) by the time I play this.
Do you have GC component cables?

If not... that's sort of the biggest issue with my solution. You could try checking out your local Gamestops and trying your luck, some people have gotten lucky. But they're probably expensive because of the reason they're good; far superior to Wii's component out. Best way to play GC games. The GC doesn't have the ability to output component signals internally, so Nintendo just output a pure digital signal and put a DAC in the cable. That's also why there's no third party solution, lol. It must also be noted that later Gamecubes have that digital out port removed, so keep an eye out for it when you buy your Cube.

Wii has the ability to output component natively but it looks bad.

If the component cables seem too expensive (they really kinda are, considering how slim pickings the GC backcatalog is), then I imagine that you could play the HD version through component 480p on a 360 or something. The tradeoff for the loss off that hardware effect would probably be overriden by the increase in resolution (360p vs 480p) and better color depth. The GC/Wii versions run at a reduced 16-bit color depth and banding is apparent in places.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I wouldn't fault anyone for not being in interested in the HD remaster if they had another version to play on the hardware it was intended for (TV included). But if you're on an HDTV, it seems like the missing effects issue is trivial compared to the benefits.

(Basically I'm just repeating what has already been said, but the point is I'm not trying to call you crazy.)

We still have no "perfect" version of RE4. The Gamecube original runs in a low res and not true widescreen. The Wii version also runs in the same low res (scaled to 480p widescreen). The PS2 version is all-around ass. The PC version, even with mods, still uses the terrible PS2 assets. And the HD versions are missing some effects, and at least the 360 version has aiming that feels a little off (I haven't played the PS3 one). And only the Wii version has pointer control, if you're into that.

Then there's Dolphin, which has erratic performance and some sound bugs in my experience, as well as slightly fuzzy visuals due to its (proper) emulation of the Wii's scale-up to 480p.

Maybe Capcom will make a perfect version on Wii U. Even after playing all these versions and nit-picking them, I'd play the hell out of another. The game is so damn good.

Nemesis_

Wii version is by far the best. Pointer controls are simply divine.

You're kind of right, though the pointer controls were implemented without any form of balancing so they do make the game rather easy. Much easier than it was intended I would guess

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Worse graphics, pre rendered cutscenes, fewer effects, fewer enemies on screen. PS2 RE4's problems are well documented

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
But its not a terrible port like the initial PC version was before fixes. However, the PS2 version does pale in a few areas compared to the Gamecube version, but had extra content that the Gamecube version did not have.

However, the Wii version is the definitive version as you have the benefits of the Gamecube version, the extras of the PS2 version, and even have a choice of rather well-done Wii controls or the original Gamecube controller.

def sim

The specular map effect being a deal breaker always astounded me and I'm glad that's been cleared up here. The lack of it is nowhere near a big deal or a particularly noticeable thing as people think. Having played them all, I'd say either the Wii or the HD ports are the definite version. The former for those not used to dual analog and the latter for a non smeary look on modern televisions.

Risette

A Good Citizen
But its not a terrible port like the initial PC version was before fixes. However, the PS2 version does pale in a few areas compared to the Gamecube version, but had extra content that the Gamecube version did not have.
But the PC version is the PS2 version but in higher-res. ???

However, the Wii version is the definitive version as you have the benefits of the Gamecube version, the extras of the PS2 version, and even have a choice of rather well-done Wii controls or the original Gamecube controller.
Nah, it's between GC and HD, for reasons I've detailed in this thread.

I suppose the Wii version in Dolphin will take over someday when it becomes less buggy, though. Even then I'm still not a fan of emulator latency.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
But the PC version is the PS2 version but in higher-res. ???

Nah, it's between GC and HD, for reasons I've detailed in this thread.

I suppose the Wii version in Dolphin will take over someday when it becomes less buggy, though. Even then I'm still not a fan of emulator latency.

The PC version when it was released originally had absolutely no lighting or depth effects, making the whole game look like this:

264184_screenshot_big_04.jpg

re5tr5.jpg

It wasn't until later patches they fixed this, but that's what it looked like on release.

HD has some benefits, but it does have a few niggles and I feel the game was designed with the gamecube controller in mind. And then the Gamecube version itself unfortunately doesn't have the later added bonus content. However, I still stand that the changes between versions is a bit less definitive outside of a few nicks and nacks, and in the end for instance the difference between RE4HD and RE4WII would all come down to personal preference.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The PC version when it was released originally had absolutely no lighting or depth effects, making the whole game look like this:

264184_screenshot_big_04.jpg

re5tr5.jpg

It wasn't until later patches they fixed this, but that's what it looked like on release.
Oh, I thought you meant fan-fixes. (still isn't great with them though) Wasn't the patch out on release date for the US?

HD has some benefits, but it does have a few niggles and I feel the game was designed with the gamecube controller in mind. And then the Gamecube version itself unfortunately doesn't have the later added bonus content. However, I still stand that the changes between versions is a bit less definitive outside of a few nicks and nacks, and in the end for instance the difference between RE4HD and RE4WII would all come down to personal preference.
I agree with the Gamecube controller thing, which is one of the reasons why I'd put the GC version up there. The bonus content in the Wii version isn't good enough to make up for the superior video quality of the GC w/ GC component cables, though.

Separate Ways is really jarring in quality. It just doesn't have the thought put into the encounters like the main game does, which is basically RE4's main calling. You can feel the collective talent at Capcom leave as you play it. Separate Ways indeed.

It still manages to be okayish though, I suppose because it inherits assets from the main game. Just not very good.

Bladenic

In the files, yeah. The dialogue isn't much different aside from a few added jokes, though that doesn't mean there aren't still a lot of fuck-ups, like completely changing Saddler and the cult's motives or removing somewhat important references, but it's still probably the most faithful and improves on Mikami's original writing in a lot of ways. So I suppose you could look at it in the light of being the best of the bad, since there isn't a single localization in the series that isn't filled with a mountain of mistakes.

Is there a site or something where I can get all the differences, etc.? This sort of trivia is pretty cool.

StuBurns

Banned
So I finished my playthru an hour or so ago, I quickly ran back up to the lake fight because I missed an achievement, and wanted to see how much quicker it would be just blasting everything while not breaking pace. I know some people can finish the game very quickly, but I'm not one of them, it took me 36 minutes to get to the lake.

Anyway, I finished it, and it was as incredible as ever, the bulldozer is still kind of lame, as is the final boss/jet-ski, but it's as close to perfect as an action game has ever been for me. I did fire up Separate Ways, the FMV looks really crummy, not sure I'll finish it, because it wasn't so hot if I remember correctly, and the FMV thing is annoying, but I might.

Mit-

How does the official HD version compare to say, an HD texture patch for the PC version? Did they actually redo any textures on the official HD version?

EDIT: Just read some earlier posts. Gonna look into these "missing effects"

Risette

A Good Citizen
How does the official HD version compare to say, an HD texture patch for the PC version? Did they actually redo any textures on the official HD version?

No mods for the PC version really fix its PS2 origins. FMV cutscenes, slimmed down environmental geometry, vastly downgraded character and enemy models, vastly inferior lighting, etc.

The texture packs are basically it, and most of the texture packs look tacky as hell with huge resolution textures on the limited geometry next to low-res textures that they didn't redo, etc. Just loses any sort of visual cohesion. Also, carpet hair Leon is lol.

ENB mod makes the game look like it's coated in piss and vaseline.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sure there is real value to the specular effects which are absent, but there also is to the greater resolution, for me, the resolution is a greater benefit, but it's a question of taste.

If you want to play it on PC, you're much, much better off playing the Wii version via Dolphin than the actual PC version. With good hardware, Dolphin runs well, some areas better than others but all playable. I played most of the way through, but I had to keep tweaking the settings as I moved from area to area. There was a sound bug that eventually annoyed me enough to stop, but maybe that's been solved by now.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you want to play it on PC, you're much, much better off playing the Wii version via Dolphin than the actual PC version. With good hardware, Dolphin runs well, some areas better than others but all playable. I played most of the way through, but I had to keep tweaking the settings as I moved from area to area. There was a sound bug that eventually annoyed me enough to stop, but maybe that's been solved by now.
Does it still have that oddly triggered bug where the game will lock up if you have Ashley step on a switch or something?

Does it still have that oddly triggered bug where the game will lock up if you have Ashley step on a switch or something?

I'd forgotten about that. I don't know if it still does, but it did when I played. I got past it without any trouble since I was forewarned.

xNAPx

Banned
One of the best gaming experience of my life, I played this game on every platform, Gamecube, PS2, PC, Wii and X360 and I finished it more than 80 times, i loved any single frame, any single animation (the sniper recharge, the suplex... bests)

WOW looking at the water effects of the HD version and they suck balls. I forgot about it.

If I'm spending 20 euros on a game I already own, the less I expect is a 100% faithful conversion of the game.

Unless emulation don't improve in the next years I can't see myself buying the HD version ever.

pa22word

They break the game!

At the point you have to justify the game being "broken" due to it containing objectively more accurate controls it makes me question whether or not the extra difficulty you apparently experience in the GC/PS2/HD version(s) is even 'real'.

StuBurns

Banned
I didn't finish it on Wii, only messed around with it, and I generally dislike motion controls too (although pointer controls, much less so), but the tension of RE4 is in your ability to accurately shoot, that's the foundation of that game, and it is a wholly different experience on Wii. If it's different for good or for ill, I don't know, I didn't care for it, but the game should have been rebalanced with that in mind I would imagine.

Jawmuncher

I didn't finish it on Wii, only messed around with it, and I generally dislike motion controls too (although pointer controls, much less so), but the tension of RE4 is in your ability to accurately shoot, that's the foundation of that game, and it is a wholly different experience on Wii. If it's different for good or for ill, I don't know, I didn't care for it, but the game should have been rebalanced with that in mind I would imagine.

I've noticed it varies greatly from person to person.
Some absolutely love the wii controls and RE5 move contrlols and cant see them being played any other way.
Other such as myself prefer the regular controls and how you mentioned it stresses more on accurate shooting.

I originally played this on the GameCube, bought a ltd edition RE4 GameCube (the silver one) back in '05. Game of the decade for me, I'd put it up there with Super Metroid as my joint all-time favourite.

I bought the HD version on 360 last year, it's still awesome - as an action game it hasn't been surpassed by anything this generation (only Halo 3 and Reach come close, IMO).

Having read through this thread I'm all excited to play it again - ordered the Wii version yesterday, as it seems like the "definitive" one. It's a hard copy, which is cool for the collector in me. It's got pointer controls (which I haven't tried but am excited to play with), and if I don't like them I can play it with the classic controller pro anyway, so it's all good.

Risette

A Good Citizen
At the point you have to justify the game being "broken" due to it containing objectively more accurate controls it makes me question whether or not the extra difficulty you apparently experience in the GC/PS2/HD version(s) is even 'real'.
Of course it is. It doesn't take a detailed dissection to realize that weapons, their accuracy (cursor shake), enemy speeds, etc are balanced around the limited precision of an analog stick/d-pad to aim. The distance factor (your aim becomes exponentially more inaccurate as the distance increases -- no longer with a static crosshair!) is completely whacked as well, making weapons like snipers near completely useless and also poos on the balance of the game further.

Top Bottom