• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor – CD Projekt RED To Sign A Publishing Deal Or Be Bought By Electronic Arts

How excited are you for this news?

Results are only viewable after voting.
memes-papea-kills-off-developers.jpg

Can't get stated enough, because this comic was the very first thing I thought of hearing the news.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If CD Projekt RED is happy about this, then I'm happy. They are a great studio that deserves to make bank.

I really hope this doesn't happen though. ;)

FinKL

Why is there "no excitement/sadface" type answer to the poll? Guess Konami will have to do

This can't be true.

This rumor is probably wrong.

I was referring to the way that even if they had said negative things about EA, that'd be a pretty minor issue in this industry.

Activision just hired someone who successfully sued them for millions of dollars to be a major staffer at Infinity Ward: http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/16/82...d-designer-returns-to-infinity-ward-executive

Kind of off topic, but man I wonder how much money did Rubin make, no wonder he isn't doing anything right now, he must be among the most affluent video game devs, up there with Cliffy B and the Bioware Docs.

I don't think the rumor is true but we can't take this stuff as proof, since they couldn't disclose (or even hint it happening) a buyout via forum / twitter before announcing it to investors officially.

Publicly traded companies are under heavy regulation regarding major announcements that throw stock prices around.

This, unfortunately. Rumor is probably fake (but cynic in me says it's just horrible enough to be true), but if it was true, they're going to lie about it in casual inquiries for as long as they need to. They have to.

Doesn't mean I want it to be true or think it's true. Just that a key figure playing dumb or laughing about how "foolish" a rumor is ultimately means nothing.

Interfectum

This rumor is probably wrong.

I was referring to the way that even if they had said negative things about EA, that'd be a pretty minor issue in this industry.

Activision just hired someone who successfully sued them for millions of dollars to be a major staffer at Infinity Ward: http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/16/82...d-designer-returns-to-infinity-ward-executive

Reminds me of a scene from Mr Robot... nothing is personal is corporate America. It's all business.

So right now this is all up in the air? I hope it's not true. Witcher 3 did incredibly well, you'd think CDPR don't need such a deal.

Iksenpets

Banned
I could see there being a publishing and/or distribution deal for Cyberpunk if that game is going to be expensive enough, but I can't imagine them segueing directly from their biggest hit ever to a buyout.

So right now this is all up in the air? I hope it's not true. Witcher 3 did incredibly well, you'd think CDPR don't need such a deal.
It's not so much up in the air as much as it is almost certainly BS, given the facts of the story anyway. Edit: as far as being bought anyway. I can see them shopping around for publishers for Cyberpunk.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bioware Red, Origin exclusive.

yay >_>

Walpurgis

Banned
On the bright side, if EA is drooling over CDPR's success, they may get Bioware to try and copy The Witcher 3. They have the resources to make a much bigger game.

Was their mission statement "we hate money"?

No DRM? You think EA is gona let GoG still run in competition to Origin or let any game they publish not use Denuvo or whatever else DRM shit they want to use? I'm calling BS on this rumor, EA and CDPR philosophies are too different for them to merge unless CDPR goes against everything they have said about themselves and the industry.

Needlecrash

I hope it's only for publishing and even then, I hope that doesn't happen. Anyone remember Overstrike, only for it to be renamed Fuze and completely changed the characters due to EA's involvement? We don't need EA buying out another studio, gutting it and closing it.

vocab

I honestly only ever seeing them having a small distribution deal with EA like Valve had. Folding over completely to EA is one of the dumbest decisions any company could make.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A publishing deal strikes me as more likely than a buyout, assuming there's any truth to this rumour. Considering CDPR had to defer The Witcher 3 marketing costs to its distribution partners (USD$25m at the least), which entitles them to a cut of sales until their investments have been recouped, it wouldn't shock me to learn that CDPR needs an injection of cash to fully fund its next project.

frontovik

Banned
CDPR and EA's philosophies are so different, that I would be appalled if a buyout was approved.

It would be a disaster like the Activision-Blizzard merger; just look at Blizzard's money grubbing schemes with their recent titles (3 titles for StarCraft II, the failed RMAH for Diablo III, microtransactions for WoW/HS/HotS) I'm sure that EA can do just as worse with CDPR.

The only developer I'd care about then is Valve.

Top Bottom