• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor – CD Projekt RED To Sign A Publishing Deal Or Be Bought By Electronic Arts

How excited are you for this news?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I think 90% of everyone here and everywhere else who saw this do not want EA to buy them.

We have seen enough of them. They are pretty much everywhere where we do not want them to be.

OEM

Fuck....but as long as they get same freedom as Rockstar gets at Take 2, I am fine. They will still make brilliant game and craft amazing worlds.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Literally the only reason I'm glad this is sounding false is that if EA owned CDPR there'd probably be less stake in the Dragon Age franchise since it seems The Witcher has thoroughly outperformed it. I love my DA, so I'd be pretty worried.

ZoddGutts

RIP CD Projeck, you had a good run. It's always the moment they start to develop for consoles that they get look at by big publishers and get bought out, it's all downhill from there.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If it's true, it gives me the impression that EA is tired of Bioware.

EDIT: Or perhaps an hostile takeover of GoG.

Dr.Acula

Banned
What makes anyone believe a CEO/Founder would out a possible deal, acquisition or on-going negotiation which would likely be kept under a strict NDA?

In any case, this rumor is entirely speculation and Iwinski's comment doesn't really provide much to confirm nor deny it.

He needs to tweet out something like: "EA can suckle muh bwaaaaaallz, biotch!"

That'd probably definitively answer the rumors.

Deadstar

This would be the downfall of CDPR. They are making some of the best games right now and being bought by EA would ruin the entire studio. There is no doubt about that. What a shame. Another great studio that would be destroyed by EA.

Imagine the micro transactions we would get. Instead of the 16 free dlc packs in the Witcher 3 you'd get three for free by preordering, two unique quests from amazon, two from gamestop and each additional dlc would be $1.99.

nubbe

alwaysss :(

UH0nPFe.jpg

If it's true, it gives me the impression that EA is tired of Bioware.

EDIT: Or perhaps an hostile takeover of GoG.

To be honest they would probably get renamed to Bioware Warsaw or something like that. Bioware is a better know brand than CDPR is.

Zophar

Witcher 3 was an unqualified financial success for them though, and EA stands diametrically opposed to everything CDPR stands for as a company.

Could be EA was interested in doing something of the sort (hence the meeting) but I really would be surprised if CDPR did anything more than just humor them.

Deadstar

Witcher 3 was an unqualified financial success for them though, and EA stands diametrically opposed to everything CDPR stands for as a company.

Could be EA was interested in doing something of the sort (hence the meeting) but I really would be surprised if CDPR did anything more than just humor them.

EA should lend them the Mass Effect license. I would love to see what they could do with full creative reign. Imagine all of the great dialogue and quests that would be possible in the Mass Effect world. It would be incredible.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Fucking hell, it's a fucking rumor. You guys jump to conclusions too fucking quickly

I pray to Andraste you are right. I really don't want to have to consider the possibility that EA no longer invests in Dragon Age because they've bought its now-bigger rival.

I pray to Andraste you are right. I really don't want to have to consider the possibility that EA no longer invests in Dragon Age because they've bought its now-bigger rival.

And even though EA does good things too, i can't help but feel Witcher as a franchise is better off without them, much better.

Dragon Age 4: The Second Conjunction
Geralt to become a Bioware companion. While gruff and unpersonable, he is ultimately a good person... He is essentially Cassandra.
And of course he's romanceable! woohoo~
It will be voted GotY in 20XX, to the dismay of the enthusiast community.
Remember this post.

Old news, but the article was updated too:

So, whether it's still a rumour or not is up in the air until there's official reconfirmation that it's not a rumour. I guess?

Karl Hawk

Banned

So, whether it's still a rumour or not is up in the air until there's official reconfirmation that it's not a rumour. I guess?

One of CDPR's designers dismissed the rumor as well in the official forums, but thats not good enough apparently

Dragon Age 4: The Second Conjunction
Geralt to become a Bioware companion. While gruff and unpersonable, he is ultimate a good person... He is essentially Cassandra.
It will be voted GotY in 20XX, to the dismay of the enthusiast community.
Remember this post.

It's right to be sceptical when they have such overwhelming evidence. This seems like an outlet very concerned about their credibility. If I were a CDPR employee that was unsure of the purpose of an executive meeting and I had to get that information out there, the renowned DSOG is where I'd go.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The "proof" is a picture of a random invoice. Furthermore, sure people from EA can visit the studio. EA sells Wild Hunt on Origin and some EA games are sold on GoG. So yeah...

Good clickbait though.

Courtesy of a CDProjekt quest designer on the forums.

CHC

Could you imagine if a busy New York street corner reacted to those signs of the end of the world like GAF reacts to random rumors?

I live in NYC and there is currently a protest parade against EA buying CDProjekt marching down the avenue right outside my window. That's how bad this is.

Fitts

I don't see what the big deal is, honestly.

I recall them speaking about their stance on DLC out of both sides of their mouths and silently (or actively denying) downgrading visuals in the lead up to Witcher 3's release. Seems like they would fit in just fine.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I don't see what the big deal is, honestly.

I recall them speaking about their stance on DLC out of both sides of their mouths and silently (or actively denying) downgrading visuals in the lead up to Witcher 3's release. Seems like they would fit in just fine.
So by your logic, they should be bought by EA just because they denied the downgrade.

And if you do actually recall their stance on DLC, you'd know they prefer having free DLC like alternate costumes and other weapons/armor and so on

Fitts

RE: DLC, I definitely recall there being a widespread misunderstanding and a level of disappointment when their season pass or whatever was announced. So maybe there wasn't double speak, but they definitely should've had a concrete statement prepared prior to speaking on the subject.

oxacillin

Banned
IF this were a thing, and it isn't, what would be the chances of The Witcher licence being retained by anyone? I highly doubt the author would be down.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
RE: DLC, I definitely recall there being a widespread misunderstanding and a level of disappointment when their season pass or whatever was announced. So maybe there wasn't double speak, but they definitely should've had a concrete statement prepared prior to speaking on the subject.

They've always said smaller DLC would be free and anything substantial would be paid for.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-witcher-2-dlc-wont-cost-you-a-dime-but-expansi/1100-3203/

So... Witcher, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age to start playing leapfrog so they never have to compete for sales?

Also... Ugh..

Oops, didn't notice the update.

Witcher 3 was a huge succes, it certainly brought them plenty of money, and sure , it'll be a while until their next game comes out, but they also own GoG. Hope that's enough profit for them to manage. EA, just keep with your own franchises and let CDPR be, please.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
If that happens then Bioware after Mass Effect will be killed and CDPR will take over as the main developer along with Dice.

Top Bottom