• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor – CD Projekt RED To Sign A Publishing Deal Or Be Bought By Electronic Arts

How excited are you for this news?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leb

People are praising CDPR for many things including their DLC stance, but IMO The Witcher 3 free DLC is text book example of cut game content that should have been included from the start.

Agreed, this couldn’t be more obvious. Now, I know some apologists like to point out that, in the final stages of development, artists, modelers, quest designers, etc. may be freed up to work on new content while scripters, programmers, etc. focus on optimization and bug fixing… but let's be real here, CDPR even went so far as to delay the final DLC under the pretense of “requiring more development time”, which was in fact nothing more than a transparent ploy to provide semi-plausible cover for their decision to cut the content in the first place. And all so they could wage a duplicitous campaign to curry favor with credulous gamers.

They are even selling a fucking season pass. Some one correct me if I'm wrong but did they start selling the season pass before announcing the expansions like Bethesda is doing with Fallout? Because frankly I really don't believe Bethesda still has absolutely no idea at what kind of DLC they are going to make for FO4.

Yes, absolutely. The expansion pass appeared in SteamDB on the same day that the expansions were announced, but per the terms of the Potsdam Agreement (to which CDPR was a signatory), CDPR was contractually obligated to disclose the existence of expansion content 1 year in advance of its date of first sale, which, in the interests of misleading consumers, CDPR refused to do.

Are we forgetting the testimony from that Bish verified poster about work conditions at CDPR? Do you guys really believe that they put their costumers before profit? CDPR shouldn't get a free pass because their public persona is more consumer friendly than other companies. From what we heard working conditions there are as bad as any EA owned dev out there.

Fantastic point. First of all, most people believe that bish merely verifies that a poster is in a position to know what the poster claims to know and that generally, bish doesn't make any judgements as to the veracity of the claims themselves. This is, of course, inaccurate. In actuality, bish personally directs a team of researchers who compile detailed dossiers on prospective leakers and bish further insists that all information be confirmed with no fewer than two independent sources before signing off on publication. So, if it came from a bish-verified insider, there's absolutely no question that the information is accurate.

Finally, if we examine what the poster actually said, which was that “PR [was] creating an overblown vision of a game that doesn’t exist while the team [was] in crazy crunch time for a over a year,” and that consumers “[shouldn’t] preorder the game (especially on consoles) and wait for reviews,” well, his warning was well taken, and with the critical and commercial failure of Witcher 3, it's no surprise that EA is looking to buy out a now seriously crippled CDPR.

CloudWolf

I'm not surprised. I've been reading for a while now that CD Projekt RED's management is basically just in it for the money, so them signing a publishing deal/being bought out is pretty predictable.

Are we forgetting the testimony from that Bish verified poster about work conditions at CDPR? Do you guys really believe that they put their costumers before profit? CDPR shouldn't get a free pass because their public persona is more consumer friendly than other companies. From what we heard working conditions there are as bad as any EA owned dev out there.
And for people not buying that, there's always the Glassdoor page which paints a pretty damning picture of CDPR.

aliengmr

So why would EA buy CDPR? Like does no one ask them selves this question? What exactly would they get out of the deal? The Witcher IP? Maybe, but is that worth it?

So no, it doesn't make sense on any level really. Well, unless you still got a chip on your shoulder about them, then everything makes total sense.

CloudWolf

All of the DLCs? How do you know that?
I may be agree on the first set of DLSs that have been announced before release, but the rest are still not announced.

How about Fallout 4 season pass announcement? Will you say they're not cut from the game content? How can you be so sure?

He's talking about the free 'DLC', not the paid DLC that is still coming. The only thing CD Project Red needs to be praised for is their wording. Instead of calling it 'content patches', they called those small releases 'free DLC' and the hardcore crowd went nuts. I recall someone from Paradox Interactive noting this when AngryJoe asked about their DLC policy. Every patch they add a lot of free content, but because it's part of the standard patch no one is impressed by it except the really hardcore fans of their games.

boskee

Someone is trying to influence the stock price imho. Nothing about that rumour makes any sense.

Agreed, this couldn’t be more obvious. Now, I know some apologists like to point out that, in the final stages of development, artists, modelers, quest designers, etc. may be freed up to work on new content while scripters, programmers, etc. focus on optimization and bug fixing… but let's be real here, CDPR even went so far as to delay the final DLC under the pretense of “requiring more development time”, which was in fact nothing more than a transparent ploy to provide semi-plausible cover for their decision to cut the content in the first place. And all so they could wage a duplicitous campaign to curry favor with credulous gamers.

Bravo! :)

Thank god this is fake. CDPR needs to be a free as bird, not locked in cage filled with microtransactions and seasons passes for 15 minutes worth of DLC and whatever other derogatory thing I can think of that would make me hate this false rumour more.

patapuf

This thread is funny.

People are praising CDPR for many things including their DLC stance, but IMO The Witcher 3 free DLC is text book example of cut game content that should have been included from the start.

Hair and beard styles, weapons, skins, new game + and some shitty quests. Is this really the pinnacle of DLC? I'm sure Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine are going to be great, but there is nothing new or groundbreaking about then. They are even selling a fucking season pass. Some one correct me if I'm wrong but did they start selling the season pass before announcing the expansions like Bethesda is doing with Fallout? Because frankly I really don't believe Bethesda still has absolutely no idea at what kind of DLC they are going to make for FO4.

CDPR are just smarter than most devs or publishers. By offering this "free" DLC they are ensuring that people don't trade the game in the first weeks of release and they even get good will from gamers.

Now don't get me wrong, I love and own all the Witcher games, and I really like CDPR and their post release support for their games (TW2 Enhanced edition and patch come to mind), but they are not the saints or the saviors people are painting then to be.

For all that people complain about EA, personally I like many of their games as much as I like CDPR's.

Some day people critising CDPR for not having enough a pro consumer stance will have to explain why beyond "their free DLC is cut content" (especially while propping up EA, who does the paid day 1 DLC all the time). I'm not sure what policy of theirs is lacking that people feel their are not being catered to enough. They market the fact that they don't do the shit the big pubs do, but it's also the truth. It's like people take offence with them not being humble about it.

And, unlike bethestha, CDPR explained prescisely what you get in their 2 expansions, including lengh and setting.

Bad working conditions are a problem but those have little to do with a pro consumer stance (in fact, consumers usually benefit from it).

He's talking about the free 'DLC', not the paid DLC that is still coming. The only thing CD Project Red needs to be praised for is their wording. Instead of calling it 'content patches', they called those small releases 'free DLC' and the hardcore crowd went nuts. I recall someone from Paradox Interactive noting this when AngryJoe asked about their DLC policy. Every patch they add a lot of free content, but because it's part of the standard patch no one is impressed by it except the really hardcore fans of their games.

I've never heard anyone familiar with paradox saying they are a bad publisher. People are pretty high on their games an post release support as well.

Iastfan112

Neo Member

Big Paradox fan but the reason they don't get a ton of praise is three fold: DLC is expensive and there is a lot of it. Common Sense is mostly about development(and hell they mostly just separated building and monarch points based development. A smattering of minor, albeit helpful changes for 15 dollars is pretty steep. Even just getting the gameplay dlc with the base game would run well over 100 dollars. Finally, the free part of their dlc tends to have a lot more bug fixes or balance tweaks than actual content.

Not only that, but Paradox does charge for shit like unit packs which is would be akin to CDPR charging for the alternate Triss and Yenn outfits.

I'm fine with Paradox's dlc practices but CDPR does things significantly better.

Wow what a surprise, it was bullshit. I find some people in Neogaf need to make CDPR look shit truly baffling, like they can't wait to say "Ha I knew they were no different than any of those shitty companies, you were all fools to think they were decent to consumers!" It happens in nearly every thread about them.

CloudWolf

Big Paradox fan but the reason they don't get a ton of praise is three fold: DLC is expensive and there is a lot of it. Common Sense is mostly about development(and hell they mostly just separated building and monarch points based development. A smattering of minor, albeit helpful changes for 15 dollars is pretty steep. Even just getting the gameplay dlc with the base game would run well over 100 dollars. Finally, the free part of their dlc tends to have a lot more bug fixes or balance tweaks than actual content.

Not only that, but Paradox does charge for shit like unit packs which is would be akin to CDPR charging for the alternate Triss and Yenn outfits.

I'm fine with Paradox's dlc practices but CDPR does things significantly better.
Not entirely true. Sure, they contain a lot of bug fixes because they also function as normal game patches, but if you compare vanilla Crusader Kings 2 and EU4 with how they looked near release you'll see that even without the expansions the games look and feel completely different.

The comparison between the alternate skins and the unit packs is also not quite fair IMO since the Triss, Yenn and Ciri skins are just one alternate, while the unit packs always add ten or more sprites that are animated seperately. That's not remotely the same as just releasing a remodeled version of the same thing. A more accurate comparison would be the character portraits in CK2, which they stopped releasing seperately from the DLC because people (rightly so) complained.

Anyway, that wasn't the point. My point was that many developers do exactly the same thing as CD Project Red, they just don't sell it like they do.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Well, what do you fucking know, it was a fake rumor after all now (despite the tweet and the forum post dismissing it)

You guys never learn, do you?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Fantastic point. First of all, most people believe that bish merely verifies that a poster is in a position to know what the poster claims to know and that generally, bish doesn't make any judgements as to the veracity of the claims themselves. This is, of course, inaccurate. In actuality, bish personally directs a team of researchers who compile detailed dossiers on prospective leakers and bish further insists that all information be confirmed with no fewer than two independent sources before signing off on publication.
That's some good Poe right there

NolbertoS

Too bad none of the Big Three can pull the tables under EA and buy them out although theoretically MS probably can. As much as CDPR are doing reasonably well, its all about the benjamins in thr end, so now the founders are filthy rich and buy half of Poland and Half of CDPR bail on the studio. EA ia alwaus a re-assurancr of jib security alright :S

JeanPi

Banned
Please do not pull an Bungie here CDPR. Stay independent, stay humble,and stay the fuck away from these corporations.

If it does happen, we should change the post to say: Please EA do not pull an Activision and make CDPR work on crap like Destiny.

Top Bottom