• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor – CD Projekt RED To Sign A Publishing Deal Or Be Bought By Electronic Arts

How excited are you for this news?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Good news. I know EA gets a ton of hate around here but they can be the pushing force to finally get CDPR's name out there.

EA could be saving CDPR's Cyberpunk game if the company's smart enough to take the deal

I expect this will not end well if EA does get them. They'll be made to change completely, have any developers joined EA before and not had things turn out badly?

If true

Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

johntown

Banned
If true this is horrible news. I don't want more Origin exclusives, micro transactions and all the other garbage EA is known for.

Our management is probably talking with Electronic Arts about potential take over.
Bruh wut.

They're either talking to them or not talking to them. There is no "probably" here

EDIT: Oh and yeah, this is shit.

I think an EA deal would be good. At least if it was a publishing deal for something like Cyberpunk 2077 via EA Partners (or whatever remains of that unit because some senior figures have left there and we've not heard a great deal of announcements from them in the past year or so).

A buyout though is a whole different matter. Hmm.

If its something like this, then thats fine. If its a full on buyout though? Hoo, boy...

Tenebrous

If true, wow...

EA have killed Origin, Bullfrog and Westwood, left Maxis on life support, and is now looking to take on one of the brightest RPG makers out there today? Shit, that will end well.

EA are gaming cancer. They're the worst publisher out there by some distance... How the fuck can they casually shut down so many legendary studios?

Dabanton

Oh my.

Although if this is true is this not the height of unprofessionalism? To be leaking this on the net. EA could be there to have a nice cup of tea.

ocean

Banned
Why work so hard to get the good will of hardcore gamers if you're just going to do this? Talk about throwing away all your effort.
Companies work hard for money, not the "good will of hardcore gamers". If their brands and products earn them the interest of a large party willing to offer remuneration for their talent, this is cause for celebration if you like these guys.

Be happy they're being rewarded for their hard work. If they take what they're offered, it means EA or whoever ponied up a sum they believe commensurate to their work and talent - and when your effort pays off to the degree you believe you're worth, it can only be called success.

Congrats to these guys, this is well deserved if it goes through.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
“I’m employee of CDProjekt Red and I have some bad news to share with you. Our management is probably talking with Electronic Arts about potential take over. Electronic Arts representatives are currently visiting our studio and meeting with top management. We are not going to release any game soon, so for sure it’s not about any publishing deal, so the only possible reason for EA guys being here is that they want to buy us.”
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rumor...lishing-deal-or-be-bought-by-electronic-arts/

take Triss from me if old.

sAt4lV1.gif

Just shut up EA, you already have Bioware and see how that turned out.

CHC

Bruh wut.

They're either talking to them or not talking to them. There is no "probably" here

I think he means definitely talking to them, probably over a deal of some kind.

That said, they don't have to accept. Have some faith, guys.

Does not make since for CD Red to be brought out by EA. CD Red already has an online store to compete against Origin and they only make a very few games.

Tigress

Oh god, say it isn't so? A company that was dedicated to trying to be the good guy going to the company that is most known for being the bad guy?

If the rumor is true, an even bigger fuck you to EA. Quit ruining companies I like.
Companies work hard for money, not the "good will of hardcore gamers". If their brands and products earn them the interest of a large party willing to offer remuneration for their talent, this is cause for celebration if you like these guys.

Be happy they're being rewarded for their hard work. If they take what they're offered, it means EA or whoever ponied up a sum they believe commensurate to their work and talent - and when your effort pays off to the degree you believe you're worth, it can only be called success.

Congrats to these guys, this is well deserved if it goes through.

Yeah, but some companies do so by trying to make a good reputation for themselves by at least trying to find ways they can make money and make the fans happy. In order to get loyal fans who will keep buying their stuff. Sure they may not always do good stuff but at least they are wanting to build a good reputation to make their money.

Others just don't even try and just see what they can get away with. One of these companies is the first, the other is the latter.

Sou Da

Couldn't just be EA publishing their console games instead of WB?

Does the EA partner program thing still exist?

jonno394

website doesn't seem to be working for me, but does this "rumour" or the source of the rumour have any credibility?

edit site working for me now, would make more sense about GOG getting EA games

Sounds like some low-rent scrub on the totem pole who got the wrong idea and assumed the worst.

Considering W3 sold ridiculously well and GOG is chugging along nicely, I find it very, very hard to believe that they'd be running to another publisher to take them over. If anything, they'd be strengthening their bond with WB Games.

kurahador

I think an EA deal would be good. At least if it was a publishing deal for something like Cyberpunk 2077 via EA Partners (or whatever remains of that unit because some senior figures have left there and we've not heard a great deal of announcements from them in the past year or so).

Right. Could also make sense for them needing more money to fund Cyberpunk 2077.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
It would be stupid for CDPR not to at least meet with the EA brass if they come knocking regardless of their current interest. They are a business after all and this is a part of business. With that said - hopefully they continue down the path they are heading as they have been a great studio.

Polk

Bruh wut.

Considering CDP is public trading company, selling of CDPRed would be their suicide.

Distribution deal similiar to deal with Atari/WB? Sure.

Top Bottom