• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor – CD Projekt RED To Sign A Publishing Deal Or Be Bought By Electronic Arts

How excited are you for this news?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sorc3r3r

Hope not, wharever difficulties they are facing now, signing with EA, even if will solve the short term problems, will cause big problems on the long terms, just going by history.

Nzyme32

Seems pretty fake, specifically going to DSO about it, and the way it's written seem to be as any other fake rumour.

Although that would be one way to spell the end of the wonderful GoG, particularly with EA's woeful ideas on pricing, DRM, DLC etc

If it is just a publishing deal on the other hand, it still makes little sense considering how issue free they have been via retail and of course GoG.

Sulik2

I don't see how CD Projekt will be able to function with EA. Bioware has been alright since they were used to working within the arms of a publisher and even they have had to struggle to not lose what makes Bioware games special. I can't see CD Projekt Red surviving a buy-out. Everything they do to make their games unique is anathema to a big publisher like EA and they have never had to work with one. This will be five years, the Cyperpunk game then a shuttered studio if they sell.

Wait, so the only reason this employee thinks it's about a buyout is because they aren't releasing any games anytime soon, and that's the only other reason he can think of? I guess he doesn't realize that in most cases publishers are involved right from the start of a project, and help projects get made. And maybe EA has a franchise they want CD Project Red to make for them, based on the quality of The Witcher 3, and are visiting to propose that to the executives.

mitchman

Gold Member
I look forward to CDPR joining EA, a company well known for its great customer service and quality games. Sounds like a good fit.

</sarcasm>

Please no. NO.

FHIZ

Just prove that you can be massively successful in the AAA market without acting totally shitty, get bought by EA...

Please no.

Krakn3Dfx

This doesn't make a lot of sense, especially considering how far out CDPR's next game is. Would make more sense that GOG/EA might be working to bring some EA owned titles to GOG.

Aces&Eights

I hope they can reach an agreement that will allow CD Proj. Red to operate with some degree of autonomy while expanding their reach.

Or, EA will EA once more.

CNPRkNl.gif

erawsd

Wait I actually read the story.. who knows what this is about. could easily be them trying to work out a deal to get some of EAs classic stuff on GOG.

Tagg9

Are you guys forgetting that CD Projekt owns GOG.com? Just like Valve, they have a steady stream of income coming in from digital downloads that is completely separate from the games they develop. Selling the company to EA benefits no one.

Xater

I wonder how would an EA-owned CDPR support DRM free policies.

All their policies kinda go against what a big publisher like EA does. From pre-order stuff, to DLC, to the lack of DRM. It just seems like an incredibly bad fit.

mthw

Neo Member
Isn't CD Projekt Red the just a development studio? A CD Projekt subsidiary, so nothing to do with other parts of the business (e.g. GOG)?

Kyuur

Is this only for RED, or the whole she-bang? I can see EA wanting to get their hands on GOG to integrate with Origin.

Good news. I know EA gets a ton of hate around here but they can be the pushing force to finally get CDPR's name out there.

EA could be saving CDPR's Cyberpunk game if the company's smart enough to take the deal

The Witcher 3 sold 6 million copies in 6 weeks. Their name is out there.

Nothing good for consumers could come out of a developer like CDPR being purchased by a major publisher.

Sayers

Does this source have any credibility at all? The link doesn't work for me. Is there any reason to believe this isn't some no name site trying to get attention?

But I suppose everyone would prefer to just post reaction gifs rather than try to think about if this even makes sense or not.

injurai

Banned
I don't see how CD Projekt will be able to function with EA. Bioware has been alright since they were used to working within the arms of a publisher and even they have had to struggle to not lose what makes Bioware games special. I can't see CD Projekt Red surviving a buy-out. Everything they do to make their games unique is anathema to a big publisher like EA and they have never had to work with one. This will be five years, the Cyperpunk game then a shuttered studio if they sell.

It would probably be a slow death. There first game under EA would probably be really good, then they would start milking it the IP. After that they become another puppet studio or they are shut down.

Kill3r7

Makes sense. CDPR is basically Bioware from 10 years ago. Publishing deals sounds more likely. That said I hope the rumors are false.

Are you guys forgetting that CD Projekt owns GOG.com? Just like Valve, they have a steady stream of income coming in from digital downloads that is completely separate from the games they develop. Selling the company to EA benefits no one.

Wrong, it benefits the majority holders in CD Projekt RED who stand to make a killing.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Wow, if true, goodbye GOG and any future CD Projekt franchises exclusive to Origin.

GOG.com is owned by CD Projekt (publisher), who owns CD Projekt RED (game studio).

If this rumor is to be belieived (lol), they just want the studio.

ChaosXVI

Oh no...this would be horrible, but it's not like it should be any big surprise. CDPR would be a very attractive acquisition to any major publisher, so even if this specific rumor isn't true, I wouldn't be shocked if all of the big ones are looking at CDPR and seeing a golden egg that could be bought for the price of a silver one.

killroy87

Companies work hard for money, not the "good will of hardcore gamers". If their brands and products earn them the interest of a large party willing to offer remuneration for their talent, this is cause for celebration if you like these guys.

Be happy they're being rewarded for their hard work. If they take what they're offered, it means EA or whoever ponied up a sum they believe commensurate to their work and talent - and when your effort pays off to the degree you believe you're worth, it can only be called success.

Congrats to these guys, this is well deserved if it goes through.

If all of their very public free DLC/DRM/etc stances were to make them money, it was at least partially by getting into the good graces with the community at large. CDPR are the current golden child of the gaming community for doing things the exact opposite way of big publishers like EA.

So it's an interesting move, if true.

newjeruse

It's definitely not a good sign, but I think it's a little bit of a leap to conclude this definitely means CDPR is going to be bought by EA.

I'm not well versed in the economics of game development, but hasn't CDPR essentially become self-sufficient after the huge sales of TW3? Surely they've recouped their costs and have plenty left over to do what they want, why get a third party involved?

Sou Da

I can't tell if people are just having fun posting alarmist comments and 'RIP' stuff or they can't really consider the two most likely options.

Top Bottom