• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: ACIV: Black Flag is sub-1080p on Xbox One

I played a DS game on my 3DS last night.

Don't talk to me of resolutions!

It looked fine

they look so much better when you play them 1:1 though. don't tell me you're one of those crazy people who stretches 4:3 content 'so you aren't wasting the full size of your screen'.

You have boiled down this resolution debate to its core...this is about which console is better. When people see CoD, BF4, etc playing at a higher resolution on the PS4 than the XBO people see it as validation that the PS4 is "better" than the XBO. This is what this faux debate is about. As I have said before, resolution is a proxy battle in the larger "console war." As a gamer, I can give a rats ass about a console war.

I've said my peace on resolution. I'm done..

:) Well technically, the PS4 is "better" - only joking.... not really....

I think there is something more to the resolution debate. It's that, after 8 years, we're looking at a console that, in terms of resolution, isn't doing a whole lot more [than last gen]. This time last year, the notion that either console wouldn't support Full HD was preposterous. You'd get laughed at.

Now we're looking at another 5 to 8 years sub 1080p resolution. That's appalling. For me, that's not acceptable.

And then to top it all off, we're getting the PR Spin, the lack of journalist integrity, and being treated like blind idiots who can't see the difference.

From my perspective, anyone buying the XBone needs to just accept the resolution (as many are now doing - where's that 5 Stages chart when you need it). It's not likely to get much better due to the architecture. CBOAT himself has said as much. Accept Halo isn't going to hit 1080.

Resolution isn't everything, but it's a key component in the visual nature of video games. To dismiss this is unwise. More power to the people who genuinely don't care - as long as they're genuine and not trying to fool themselves.

So I'm not buying it because there's games coming to it that look fun to play. Got it. This is ridiculous. It sucks that these launch games aren't at 1080p but I don't particularly care. You seem to care a whole lot more.

No, that's a fine reason to buy it. But that has nothing to do with my point. 720p and 1080p are different, it's that simple. If that doesn't bother you, then that's great. There's nothing wrong with it not bothering you. 30fps vs 60fps, for example, doesn't bother me, although resolution does.

My point is that saying that "oh it's upscaled" is just a silly argument. It's like when Ninja Theory said that DmC had the "feel of 60fps". It's meaningless garbage meant to hide the fact that it's graphically inferior. It just is. Again, everyone values different things and I'm not saying your opinion or your choice is inferior. Just that in one particular area, the console itself clearly is. On areas that matter to you, apparently it isn't. That's how things are supposed to work.

mjc

No, that's a fine reason to buy it. But that has nothing to do with my point. 720p and 1080p are different, it's that simple. If that doesn't bother you, then that's great. There's nothing wrong with it not bothering you. 30fps vs 60fps, for example, doesn't bother me, although resolution does.

In the scheme of things, it doesn't. It's a shame its not 1080p but that's the way it is. So long as the framerate is stable at the lowered resolution I don't have an issue.

Demon Ice

Banned
MfFSxI4.png

There goes another one...

Hahahaha

Sky Chief

The main thing that I think is getting missed in these debates is that the only comparable games at launch are cross generational multiplats and the Xbox One can't hit 1080p on these.

What happens when we start getting true next gen games? You know that there will be 900p and 720p games on PS4 eventually, how will these games perform on Xbox One?

What happens if the Occulus Rift takes off and Sony and MS come out with VR headsets of their own or OR support and the quality of a game on PS4 for each eye on the stereoscopic headset matches the quality of an Xbox One game on a TV?

I am not a tech expert by any means but IMO I could easily see the gap in IQ between the two consoles getting larger and a lot more significant than it is right now.

Pbae

The main thing that I think is getting missed in these debates is that the only comparable games at launch are cross generational multiplats and the Xbox One can't hit 1080p on these.

What happens when we start getting true next gen games? You know that there will be 900p and 720p games on PS4 eventually, how will these games perform on Xbox One?

What happens if the Occulus Rift takes off and Sony and MS come out with VR headsets of their own or OR support and the quality of a game on PS4 for each eye on the stereoscopic headset matches the quality of an Xbox One game on a TV?

I am not a tech expert by any means but IMO I could easily see the gap in IQ between the two consoles getting larger and a lot more significant than it is right now.

Cool. The PS4 has 1 game that is officially not 1080p (BF4 @ 900p). You have the XB1 that has Ryse (900p), Dead Rising (720p), Killer Instinct (720p). That's just the first party games, you know, the games meant specifically to be played on the XB1.

This entire idea that well Sony will to is baffling. The facts are that Sony has a friendlier and more powerful environment to create and sustain Full HD. I mean seriously, name me one game that is even hinted at being 720p.

It's not going to be Sony Too! It's just going to be Xbox can't and that's because the hardware is limited and weak.

Sky Chief

Cool. The PS4 has 1 game that is officially not 1080p (BF4 @ 900p). You have the XB1 that has Ryse (900p), Dead Rising (720p), Killer Instinct (720p). That's just the first party games, you know, the games meant specifically to be played on the XB1.

This entire idea that well Sony will to is baffling. The facts are that Sony has a friendlier and more powerful environment to create and sustain Full HD. I mean seriously, name me one game that is even hinted at being 720p.

It's not going to be Sony Too! It's just going to be Xbox can't and that's because the hardware is limited and weak.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that eventually next gen there will be developers who decide that they are really going to push the graphical effects and they will likely target 720p or 900p even on PS4. I'm saying what (lower) resolution will these games run on on the Xbox One? Also, the difference in the IQ of theses games between the two consoles will likely be greater and more obviously in favor of the PS4.

Not even CBOAT can tell you that yet. There's speculation about devs mastering esram and gpgpu, but I think they really gotta dig into it to find out. We'll just have to see if the performance gap gets bigger or smaller.

I think that partly depends on market conditions too. Developers are going to throw a lot more resources at a platform with 100 million install base rather than 30 million, just for example.

Appleman

You're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that eventually next gen there will be developers who decide that they are really going to push the graphical effects and they will likely target 720p or 900p even on PS4. I'm saying what (lower) resolution will these games run on on the Xbox One? Also, the difference in the IQ of theses games between the two consoles will likely be greater and more obviously in favor of the PS4.

I'm wondering if the gap will actually end up being a lot closer for the inevitable 720p PS4 games since the 720p frame buffer won't be as limited by the ESRAM so they'll both be able to hit 720p no problem, and the only limitation on the XBO will be the slightly weaker GPU

As an older guy, usually by the end of a long work day my eyes get strained and things get a little fuzzy. Is there a console for me that I can play on the weekend when I'm relaxing, but still feel as though I've put in a hard days work?

Biker19

Banned
Wouldn't they, pardon the lack of a better term, "mature less".

If PS4 is easier to develop for, wouldn't the devs be able to max out the PS4 a lot sooner?

No. "If a platform is very easy to develop for, the graphics will be maxed out very soon!" is all a myth.

Look at PS1, Xbox, & Xbox 360. All were very easy to develop for, & developers still managed to get more power out of those consoles. The GPU compute inside PS4 will certainly help increase the gap in power & graphics.

The general public may not own 4k displays, but gamers tend to have higher end electronics than your typical person. Look at how many went out and bought 1080p screens when 1080p support was low. Once good 4k displays hit mainstream market prices (and not those crappy 30Hz 4k screens), people are going to be buying them.

And when will that happen? Most people are just getting into 1080p HDTV's now.

Plus upconverting games at 4K on Xbox One will take it's toll on the graphics, with the kind of hardware it has. The PS4 can't do Native 4K gaming, either; it's just built to perfectly handle Native 1080p gaming.

I'll repost this here.

Moving up through the ranks of the Doritocracy, Banderas has now become an intern at the public relations branch of a lucrative technology company. But as a foreigner in a foreign land, he must use all of his wits to decipher their language... and stand up for his own beliefs in the process.

banderas2.gif

Raist

Banned
I'll repost this here.

Moving up through the ranks of the Doritocracy, Banderas has now become an intern at the public relations branch of a lucrative technology company. But as a foreigner in a foreign land, he must use all of his wits to decipher their language... and stand up for his own beliefs in the process.

banderas2.gif

Missed opportuniy. Should have ended with "I learned from CBOAT".

Piggus

I'm predicting that VERY few devs will have 720p games on PS4. 900p sure, but not 720. You didn't see any 480p games on PS3/360 no matter how graphically intensive. The PS4 GPU has the pixel filtrate advantage to ensure games won't have to be rendered at 720.

Not even CBOAT can tell you that yet. There's speculation about devs mastering esram and gpgpu, but I think they really gotta dig into it to find out.

Sony/Cerny learned so much from 360. Make coding straightforward, not tricky. Controllers matter. Online communication matters. Price matters.

How MS decided to try to emulate Sony 2006 is completely beyond me.

Don't remember where, I do remember the name of one insider, bruceleeroy. He didn't exactly say 900p but he implied it by saying it's a little higher than 720p.

Bruceleeroy has no connection to MS other than a "friend" who works for them. That said. Halo 5 is way off they won't have Framerate or Resolution locked in at all yet.

Bruceleeroy has no connection to MS other than a "friend" who works for them. That said. Halo 5 is way off they won't have Framerate or Resolution locked in at all yet.

343i have already said Halo 5 will be 60fps

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-halo-coming-to-xbox-one-runs-at-60fps/1100-6409555/

We'll see what the resolution is. Eurogamer reported that it was 1080p but no other reports of that and no source was given so only 60fps is confirmed at this point

Top Bottom