• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

drspeedy

I would think Android as well, but then they said they want to aim for the core market. The core audience who are all over the PS4 and Xbox One would barely give a passing glance if they went the Android route.

They want to aim for Steam, my friend. They'll get games to match interests, but this console is all around tapping that online model.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

I'm all for a digital console with strong specs and a fresh first party lineup. This seems unrealistic but only because I'm used to the big three.

I'm still a little surprised apple hasn't jumped in yet. Not that I want an 1000 dollar console or anything but an apple console would be beautiful. I doubt apple would like to take a loss on any hardware.

PG2G

This Android console fad needs to die already. Maybe Amazon trying and failing is what it will take.

Hurf

Neo Member
I for one can't wait to log into my Amazon console only to find half my games were remotely deleted from my account because they felt like it.

It's yet another machine that steals valuable casual gamers away from XONE and PS4. MS and Sony should be worried if they don't have a plan that involves coping with losing 50-60 million gamers.

In my household the shift has already happened. The wife has shifted from Viva Pinata to iPad games.

Ebomb

Banned
If Amazon releases a digital only console, I wonder whether they will receive the same backlash that Microsoft received (yes I know the original One worked with discs). Will the same folks that weren't interested in the Xbox one yet protested on principle to save physical media be similarly fired up? Should be a good litmus test on the gaming press if it happens.

ironcreed

Banned
They want to aim for Steam, my friend. They'll get games to match interests, but this console is all around tapping that online model.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

And I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night, lol. But in all seriousness, that is something I could have some interest in, provided the games are there. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Ebomb

Banned
It's yet another machine that steals valuable casual gamers away from XONE and PS4. MS and Sony should be worried if they don't have a plan that involves coping with losing 50-60 million gamers.

In my household the shift has already happened. The wife has shifted from Viva Pinata to iPad games.

Agreed. PS4 may outsell the One to core gamers, but what do they have to offer to casuals beyond Pricing relativity. No DVD or Blu-ray value with those now ubiquitous. No motion or camera games. Free generic media apps but everybody has that access already. While the One has TV and kinect features, price is a big barrier. The market is ripe for disruption IMO.

If Amazon releases a digital only console, I wonder whether they will receive the same backlash that Microsoft received (yes I know the original One worked with discs). Will the same folks that weren't interested in the Xbox one yet protested on principle to save physical media be similarly fired up? Should be a good litmus test on the gaming press if it happens.

if it's discless and has access to android games + triple A games, I don't think people would be upset. espescially since they're a new entry into the market. no one was upset that Ouya was digital only, to my knowledge.

entremet

This will be the first full digital console. I doubt it will be disc based at all. Physical media is old news anyways.

syko de4d

Imagine we would have Steambox and Amazonbox by 2014, man that would be a huge boost for PC Gaming.

Please no android shit again, just put some PC Hardware nicely together for a fair price. Put your own modified Linux on it but let me the option to install Windows on it.

Imagine we would have Steambox and Amazonbox by 2014, man that would be a huge boost for PC Gaming.

Please no android shit again, just put some PC Hardware nicely together for a fair price. Put your own modified Linux on it but let me the option to install Windows on it.

That would be awesome. I am liking next-gen already

robochimp

Microsoft wasn't releasing a digital only console. The backlash was against Microsoft treating physical distribution like digital distribution.

It wasn't just people who "weren't interested in the Xbox" up in arms.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

You mean Mobile and PC Gaming, right?

Ebomb

Banned
Microsoft wasn't releasing a digital only console. The backlash was against Microsoft treating physical distribution like digital distribution.

It wasn't just people who "weren't interested in the Xbox" up in arms.

Never implied they were the only people upset, just that they were a segment of people upset. I don't want to rehash the debate over whether it was a true digital only console as that is a distinction without a difference in my opinion, but I digress.

StevieP

Banned
Agreed. PS4 may outsell the One to core gamers, but what do they have to offer to casuals beyond Pricing relativity. No DVD or Blu-ray value with those now ubiquitous. No motion or camera games. Free generic media apps but everybody has that access already. While the One has TV and kinect features, price is a big barrier. The market is ripe for disruption IMO.

If only less people had their head in the sand. Then again, we are a "core" gaming forums, so I shouldn't expect that.

Marvel

could never
no, Ouya only had millions for budget, Amazon has billions

z2v.gif

Yes it could be very interesting, I'm not writing it off until I've seen it running.

Cynar

I'm still a little surprised apple hasn't jumped in yet. Not that I want an 1000 dollar console or anything but an apple console would be beautiful. I doubt apple would like to take a loss on any hardware.
This would be a bad thing for all. We need less locked in ecosystem's. Especially the crap that Apple tries to pull on their consumers.

graywolf323

as long as Amazon doesn't do what they do for the other fields they directly compete it

Amazon does not themselves carry the iPhone, the iPad, Nook, etc.

if they join the console space does that mean only third party sellers would have the PS4 and Xbox One?

Ebomb

Banned
if it's discless and has access to android games + triple A games, I don't think people would be upset. espescially since they're a new entry into the market. no one was upset that Ouya was digital only, to my knowledge.

Selective outrage based on product history and state of the market is rough. Its almost like Microsoft isn't allowed to innovate because their presence as a current dominant player along with Sony and Nintendo means they must cater to the status quo. The mob is fickle.

syko de4d

Because you are talking about the Amazon box.

And? We dont know what it will be. My hope is that the amazon console will be like how we always imagined the Steambox will be, a PC.

There is a difference between what i hope it will be (PC with Linux and the option to install windows) and what i think it will be (next shitty android console)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This won't just be a gaming device, it will very much be an entertainment device.

They can offer up the Amazon Store with all of it's content direct to a users television.

This thing could be massive.

In the US. Kindle fire isn't that compelling elsewhere really.

btkadams

amazon should really work on getting their products/services outside the us before they get into the games business. i sure as hell do not care about an amazon game console when amazon canada is barely more than a blu ray and book website.

Top Bottom