• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

ironcreed

Banned
You is a big difference than the mainstream user. Amazon has the ability to make this huge. They dwarf companies like Sony and Nintendo in size and resources. Even Microsoft too

In which case, they could easily afford to use adequate hardware and appeal to the core as well. A saying from an old movie for you, Amazon. "If you build it, they will come."

Amazon & Valve are probably the two companies that have my nutsack in a vice to put it bluntly. If either of those companies release a box I'd be there day one.

You is a big difference than the mainstream user. Amazon has the ability to make this huge. They dwarf companies like Sony and Nintendo in size and resources. Even Microsoft too

Just going by market capitalization, Microsoft is twice as valuable as Amazon ($136 billion vs $272 billion). Where are you getting your numbers?

I'm not convinced that Amazon knows what they're doing when it comes to hardware. The Kindle did not have any solid competition in the e-ink reader market, and they still took a few iterations to get it right. Then they tried to compete against the iPad with the Fire, and even with reasonable specs, build quality and a lower price, it doesn't seem to be doing very well.

Now they want to make a console? That's even more bold than going up against the iPad - at least they had some kind of foundation there with the Kindle brand.

I predict a massive failure.

Krakn3Dfx

Not sure what I expect out of this, but having just got the new Nexus 7 and played some Riptide GP2 on it, clearly the tech is there to run kickass games on not a lot of expensive hardware in a small package. I'm interested to see what they come up with.

meta4

Amazon make shit products. The kindlefire HD is one of the worst tablets to have ever been made. Next I time I should avoid buying gadgets from electronic noobies like Amazon. They will get annihilated if they come into the console market.

Coconut

Banned

I find it hard to believe that a mainstream user feels the need to have two devices to do pretty much the same thing.

What's the kindle fire's market share of tablet hardware. You theory should also apply this this piece of hardware as well.

In which case, they could easily afford to use adequate hardware and appeal to the core as well. A saying from an old movie for you, Amazon. "If you build it, they will come."

Games push hardware. Not early adopters.

Amazon make shit products. The kindlefire HD is one of the worst tablets to have ever been made. Next I time I should avoid buying gadgets from electronic noobies like Amazon. They will get annihilated if they come into the console market.

Agree 100%. The Kindle Fire is just a shitty, cheap way to get you to pay for Amazon's services. It's poorly built and runs sluggish as fuck because they cut so many corners.

WTF!?!?!?!

Amazon is making a game?

IS this the same Amazon that runs the web site or some new developer I've never heard of?

When did this happen?

meta4

Agree 100%. The Kindle Fire is just a shitty, cheap way to get you to pay for Amazon's services. It's poorly built and runs sluggish as fuck because they cut so many corners.

Exactly! These jokers at Amazon release a hd kindle device without even allowing you to organize books into collections/folders. I have learnt my lesson. Never buy electronic gadgets from companies that do not have a pedigree and a history in the electronics business. Noobs like Amazon are just that. They do not know how to design good electronic products. I am sure we will see more novices like Walmart etc trying to enter into this market. I will most certainly avoid all this crap from now on and stick to Sony,Samsung and traditional electronic companies etc for good products.

ironcreed

Banned
Games push hardware. Not early adopters.

Obviously, but if their system has quality hardware for those games then it will attract folks like me who are currently planning on going PS4/Xbox One. Of course it has to have the games, or I will not even pay any attention to it.

Coiote

I don't picture a new challanger appearing. The market is a bloodbath already as it is, imagine with another competiror?

The funny thing is that amazon sells used games. I am curious to know how eager other publishers would be to support them.

Guevara

Really? Why?

Right now we have Roku, Ouya, AppleTV, tablets with hdmi out, wd tv, intel's upcoming thing, smartTVs, google's upcoming box, etc, etc. The cheap box market is pretty saturated.

And how would something like that in anyway appeal to the core gaming audience?

Having said that, I'd have a pretty hard time coming up with a reason for Amazon to release something more powerful than PS4. I still hope they do though.

Well Roku is really a Netflix streaming device, Ouya is a disaster, Apple's box is M.I.A. apparently because they can't get TV content providers to sign on (so really it's going after the TV market more than games), I don't know what the Intel thing is, Google screwed up their squid box. No one is doing it competently yet. But you're right, many are sort of half-ass trying.

Selective outrage based on product history and state of the market is rough. Its almost like Microsoft isn't allowed to innovate because their presence as a current dominant player along with Sony and Nintendo means they must cater to the status quo. The mob is fickle.

1) Innovator's dilemma
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74846403&highlight=#post74846403

2) Innovation & disruption does not mean restrictions/DRM on the existing market. By definition, disruptive innovation will create its own market and gradually take over existing markets.

You don't break people legs so people can get into the Segway Revolution.
You don't stop producing coke so people will have to buy new coke.

3) The burden of proof is always on the innovator.

dcx4610

Kindle Fire in console form that plays Android games and streams movies from Prime. Nothing to see here folks.

SPDIF

I agree with your point but I think you're over-valuating Amazon just a little bit.

Not necessarily a fair comparison. AMZN has 0 debt, MSFT has tons.

someone doesn't understand how corporate debt works.

apple AND Microsoft have piles of cash just laying around, and still have debt. At that level, if you don't have debt you're fucking up.

Mainstream users barely care about gaming on Android devices at all, let alone on their TVs.

I still maintain that iOS and Android devices are popular because of their apps, portability, and form factor, not because people love Apple/Google/Samsung/Amazon.

Windows is popular, but Windows 8 phone and Surface are not. Chrome is popular, but chromebooks are not. Apple is popular, but Apple TV ships 4-5 million annually. It's not logical to extrapolate success based on the Kindle brand, when a big chunk of that fanbase could give two shits about games.

Sean*O

If these guys spend the money to build an exceedingly powerful box and sell it at a loss they could be off to a good start, similar to the way OG Xbox did it. Build a console that is as powerful as a $800 pc for $400 and it is going to sell. Build a console that's as powerful as the average tablet and it will flop.

Edit.. just read it's aimed at being an affordable class console. It's going to flop.

If these guys spend the money to build an exceedingly powerful box and sell it at a loss they could be off to a good start, similar to the way OG Xbox did it. Build a console that is as powerful as a $800 pc for $400 and it is going to sell. Build a console that's as powerful as the average tablet and it will flop.

Please dont be an Ouya.....Please dont be an Ouya.....Please dont be an Ouya.....Please dont be an Ouya.....Please dont be an Ouya.....Please dont be an Ouya.....

It's funny that you can say this when MS fed the world millions of time bomb 360s at the beginning of this generation. Kindle's problems didn't and still don't compare to RROD and the game industry/audience still snapped up MS consoles like crazy.

Games will be where this hypothetical console lives or dies.

Guevara

Techcruch is seconding this rumor:

Amazon is working on a games console, according to rumors from Game Informer and backed up by rumblings we’ve heard at TechCrunch as well. Game Informer says we’ll see the device by end of year, possibly in time for holiday shopping season, and that it will have its own dedicated controller and offer access to digital games sold online by Amazon.com.

We’ve heard from a reliable source that the hardware Amazon is building could be powered by a Qualcomm MPQ chip, which is the Snapdragon processor line the chipmaking company builds specifically for smart TV and set-top box devices. That, combined with earlier rumours that have emerged suggesting Amazon is working on a set-top device as reported by the Wall Street Journal, combine to suggest that while gaming may be part of this potential new hardware, it won’t be the sole focus. Nor does it make sense for Amazon to focus only on games; it has a huge vested interest in pushing digital music and movies, so why not do a device that combines all three?

Our source also informs us that the Amazon box is being worked on at Lab126, the Cupertino-based experimental hardware division that first created the Kindle. That’s been reported earlier this year by Bloomberg and other sources, but our informant says those plans are still on track and that this is the gaming device being discussed now as well.

more at the link: http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/09/amazon-could-launch-qualcomm-powered-games-console-and-media-box-by-end-of-year

vg260

Assuming this is android-based, when is the Android going to catch up to the iOS? It's still getting terrible support by comparison.

Arkam

What if it was essentially a Roku with similar specs as the nvidia shield but sold for $150?

I think there would be a decent market for such a device. I mean most people picked up their Roku's (or what ever) a few years back and are showing their age. So i def see potential for that market (assuming amazon allowed competeing serviced like Hulu andNetflix).

Though I dont see anyone really buy it FOR gaming.
But I have been wrong many times before :p

fijim

Banned
Assuming this is android-based, when is the Android going to catch up to the iOS? It's still getting terrible support by comparison.

First thing they need to do is have a standard controller API like Apple is bringing in iOS7. Imagine if Ouya, Nvidia Shield, the Amazon System, and all the bluetooth controllers out there were all supported by the same library of games.

If you want to use Android to sell a system, then you need to support a good number of games that are available for it. Right now Ouya supports some 300, Shield around 100, the bluetooth controllers are all over the place and each on their own case by case basis. This is silly, once a game supports controllers it should work on all the aforementioned systems.

On their own, these systems don't support enough games to really get marketshare, but if they all had cross-compatible controllers, the supported games would grow dramatically.

CzarTim

Twist, it's actually a Steambox.

Speaking of that, where the fuck is the Steambox? I haven't heard anything since that semi-official Valve-backed "first Steambox" ended up shipping with Windows instead of Linux and dropping the Steambox name.

Cipherr

Well fuck Android and Core gaming uuhm doesn't seem to bode well if you ask me.

The core OS means fuckall in this particular scenario. Im not sure why people are obsessing over it being Android or whatever. That won't matter. A set top box console wouldn't survive based on the games currently available on iOS Android and WP8 app stores combined.

The OS doesn't matter.... I mean... what OS did the PS2 run? And the 360? And the PS4? Noone cares. What will matter is the whether they can get the games that mean something to the console gaming audience. Assassins Creed? GTA? Madden? Not those shitty smartphone ripoffs, REAL ones.

If they can get those tiers of games made for the machine, then they have a shot no matter what OS the box is running on. But if they cannot, bury this thing now. You aren't gonna move 100 million dedicated gaming boxes and sell shitloads of software on the crap that is currently occupying smartphone and tablet gaming. And you aren't going to get traditional console developers support on a box with nothing but crap tablet internals either.

weevles

No they won't. They are going with Android-based gaming.

It's going to be basically Kindle for your TV.

Cynar

I don't see why. If it run Android games, and Android's gaming selection is a shithole compared to iOS.

Dear Junior,

There are lots of Android games that are equally as good(if you like mobile gaming) and most games are available on both platforms. No need to slag one mobile os just because you seem to prefer another.

<3

Speaking of that, where the fuck is the Steambox? I haven't heard anything since that semi-official Valve-backed "first Steambox" ended up shipping with Windows instead of Linux and dropping the Steambox name.

I think I saw it chilling with Half Life 3 at my local Waffle House. It was pretty late at night, though, and I can't really rememb-

Top Bottom