• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Amazon is going to drive Sales Age batty, since they don't give out unit sold numbers for any of their devices.

Even if it's not some Tegra-based system I'm still a bit skeptical about Amazon's hardware chops. The Kindle 3 (aka Kindle Keyboard) had a horrible reliability track record and the original Kindle Fire was a hot mess. But the one thing that could make things interesting is that they're the only one who can tell Walmart, Gamestop and their lot to kindly eff off.

Afrodium

Banned
Why is it that the reactions in this thread are so much different than the ones found here? Why is Amazon perceived as being much better suited to making a set-top box than Google? Upon clicking this thread I expected similar reactions, with posters claiming that the market is way too bloated and that this would be another Ouya. Is it because they claim to be focusing on the core?

Amazon is not a hardware company, so I'm not too sure about this. I'm very happy with my Kindle, but the hardware in that is a far cry from what's needed for a console. I'll take a Nexus 7 over a Kindle Fire any day.

ironcreed

Banned
I would think Android as well, but then they said they want to aim for the core market. The core audience who are all over the PS4 and Xbox One would barely give a passing glance if they went the Android route.

Amazon doesn't have the hardware design chops to compete with Sony or Microsoft. period.

We don't know that yet. They've got established game producers leaving over to their fold, there's a good chance they could be helping in shaping the design spec of this thing. They've apparently been "hiring like crazy" according to the OP, and I'm sure they've found a few solid engineers to employ. It isn't really fair to bring the Kindle into this because that's a totally different product for a totally different market.

I just find it very interesting, all the doubting on Amazon's part. Not too long ago people were doing that with Sony when the PS1 was releasing. Of course they had/have a reputation of hardware excellence, but most of the games they made on their ImageSoft label were shit. And now, they're a headmaster at the videogame table.

Amazon doesn't have a reputation of hardware excellence, but they can moneyhat it. They have an exception online retailing model, and it's possible they could put some of that experience into studio development down the line.

I'm not gonna count them out until I get my hands on the damn thing, that's all I'm really saying here.

glaurung

Amazon has some good examples of hardware design in the past. But an e-reader is not a gaming console, so I am reluctant to get hyped.

I still think the only feasible gaming console outside the giant triumvirate right now would be a dedicated Call of Duty box. Activision would sell that stuff at a premium price, with a subscription model, some games pre-loaded, massive amounts of DLC and still rake in the monies like waffles.

Subitai

This will be very, very hard and expensive. MS still almost messed it up. You could argue they did given how much they needed to dip into their cash reserves initially. It is extremely expensive and incredibly complex to do this not just in making the device, but building the relationships and processes to get 3rd party support for it. Everyone forgets, but MS had to delay the OG launch a few weeks as they were 2 weeks behind on production trying to get Intel and Nvidia integrated correctly. I really am not sure how they plan to try in come in at the low end either. PS3 and 360 prices benefit from huge economies of scale and publishers devote resources too it in order to target millions of owners who bought systems at higher prices earlier. When MS and Sony came in, they did it at the high end like everyone else was at the time. Given the network externalities of the dude bros playing with their friends on PSN and XBL, it is going to be even harder to get those prime customers.

Another thing is Ed Fries made an amazing pick up of Bungie that MS was able to build an audience around on with Halo and sports. The thing is Fries already had teams he could switch on to Xbox to fill in gaps with stuff like Fuzion Frenzy. In the end he still felt he needed to purchase Rare to completely round his library out.

If Amazon is going to do this, they better be prepared to lose a chunk of their $9 bil in cash reserves to make this work. They probably won't though and will be overly optimistic in their projections of how much marketshare they'll take.

The only thing this time around that Amazon doesn't have to worry as much about is trying to lure Japanese developers. MS spent a lot of resources trying to get developers that were more important back then.

GenericUser

get a release date for really awesome game that you develop, release the console, prove that you are worth my attention - then we talk.

amazon ... please, get your grip together

Interesting but I can't help but think its going to be an underpowered box more akin to the Ouya or Apple TV than a PS4 or XB1.

They can go all digital easily though, as Amazon doesn't need retail to move the hardware. They can just ship it. All digital likely means we won't see huge core games that take up most of a Blu-Ray disc. Hence my assumption above.

Why is it that the reactions in this thread are so much different than the ones found here? Why is Amazon perceived as being much better suited to making a set-top box than Google? Upon clicking this thread I expected similar reactions, with posters claiming that the market is way too bloated and that this would be another Ouya. Is it because they claim to be focusing on the core?

Amazon is not a hardware company, so I'm not too sure about this. I'm very happy with my Kindle, but the hardware in that is a far cry from what's needed for a console. I'll take a Nexus 7 over a Kindle Fire any day.

For me it's because Google's corporate policy is to create products to generate ad views and clicks, where as Amazon's corporate policy is to generate products that sell because they're good products.

The latter gives me the impression that it will be like Ouya, a low powered STB with Android like games and an added layer of data mining, NSA collaboration, and ads ads ads!

Where as Amazon's reputation would lead me to believe that if it is "core" gamer focused, the product will actually be more competitive and cater more to my needs as a gamer and not my needs as a mere consumer.

Amazon is not a hardware company,

Neither is Google.

Lucis

Don't get too excited, it is an android (or similar, amazon skinned android like kindle) "console". It's main purpose might not even be games.

QaaQer

GTX 680 power in a box at $499? I'll be there day 1.

this this this. For $499, a mass produced box that was just a standard spec pc sold at cost...it would be great.

Hell, they could easily have 3 power teirs ($499, $599, & $799) and just tell devs to have three gfx settings depending on box. This would also allow them to hardware refresh each year. & if they used either an android os or a linux one, it could also be a fantastic modbox. Please...be...true.

sidenote: I guess I know just how paper thin my attachment to Sony and Nintendo is.

I think the main difference is, Android is very clearly stated for the Google system, so most people already know what to expect there. It's good for what it is, but it's not a serious contender for a core-focused gaming experience. Maybe Google can make it so, but that's an uncertainty.

We still don't know what OS or architecture Amazon is using here. It could be Android and ARM (massively disappointing and immediately failing on their "appeal to the core" agenda),..it could be FreeBSD and x86....or something not seen yet on the consumer scale. Time will tell.

Whatever they're doing, I hope it'll (and it'd better) be something very innovative and quite different from a hardware POV than what MS and Sony have settled for. That's really the only chance they have to gain a foothold; we don't need three players with almost identical architectures and ecosystems.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
On the Apple gaming console.

LOL! But for real how will we play Nintendo's games if they fall out of the console hardware race? I don't see Nintendo going anywhere. Sony looks strong and MS is looking okay to good.

Where does Amazon fit?

So does this mean Cliffy will get a job now?
I only ask cause it wouod be nice to get him in the office car pool. Lambo Tuesday has a nice ring to it.

QaaQer

Looking at the tweets, the controller remark makes me wonder if they're going to make their own steambox, using their own digital distribution instead of steam.

If they wanted a sure fire way to win the war, all they would have to do is allow multiple competing storefronts on the box, including of course Amazon and Steam.

There is no way MS/Sony/Nintendo could compete with that. All the pluses of the open PC market and all the pluses of an AIO, zero maintenance console. Further, amazon could monetize the system through various other functions like selling/renting other media.

Vol5

This will be very, very hard and expensive. MS still almost messed it up. You could argue they did given how much they needed to dip into their cash reserves initially. It is extremely expensive and incredibly complex to do this not just in making the device, but building the relationships and processes to get 3rd party support for it. Everyone forgets, but MS had to delay the OG launch a few weeks as they were 2 weeks behind on production trying to get Intel and Nvidia integrated correctly. I really am not sure how they plan to try in come in at the low end either. PS3 and 360 prices benefit from huge economies of scale and publishers devote resources too it in order to target millions of owners who bought systems at higher prices earlier. When MS and Sony came in, they did it at the high end like everyone else was at the time. Given the network externalities of the dude bros playing with their friends on PSN and XBL, it is going to be even harder to get those prime customers.

Another thing is Ed Fries made an amazing pick up of Bungie that MS was able to build an audience around on with Halo and sports. The thing is Fries already had teams he could switch on to Xbox to fill in gaps with stuff like Fuzion Frenzy. In the end he still felt he needed to purchase Rare to completely round his library out.

If Amazon is going to do this, they better be prepared to lose a chunk of their $9 bil in cash reserves to make this work. They probably won't though and will be overly optimistic in their projections of how much marketshare they'll take.

The only thing this time around that Amazon doesn't have to worry as much about is trying to lure Japanese developers. MS spent a lot of resources trying to get developers that were more important back then.

Hard but not impossible.

- They won't have the need to strike up distribution channels as all the games will be download.
- When XBOX was first released, MS was only just in the hardware game; they still managed to fuck up the 360 hardware to to poor QA and build (because they were still predominantly a software house).
- Free advertising via the amazon front page alone, plus mind share as the amazon brand carries lots of weight.

There's a lot of positives. I think if the price is right and it's not some cheap PC hybrid (i.e. custom OS, low level hardware access, unified memory) I think it could work.

Trogdor1123

This seems to me to be something much closer to a steambox.

Its not like Amazon couldnt make the infrastructure and what not, it would be nothing for them. They have all the servers already as well.

syko de4d

I hope it is sth. like steambox. A own Linux version but if you want you can just put Windows on it.

Imagine they would release with the new AMD Volcanic Islands GPUs.

Core-oriented.....

Hmm pretty sure nothing's been core-oriented ever

Aways thought the core only represented a few percent of the total potential market?

Rashid

Banned
Wouldn't mind an OUYA done right. But another console? Amazon is big but will people really sway from established PS/XBOX brands for a console nowadays? Maybe if it was a mobile device, but it doesn't seem to be one.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My prediction: This will be a much better executed, financed and supported Ouya. This device will have AAA console quality games in the sense like Shadowgun and Modern Combat are AAA console quality franchises.

Now, I don't know how successful this will be, but I sure I hope it doesn't take of. This is not because of fanboism hate or fear of change (I'm an Ouya backer), no. Since this amazon, it means little to not support for my region. If this product kills any of the current players it would mean less games for me. Even if it just kills Ouya... Amazon, Ouya Inc can take my CC without problems for digital products, why can't you?.

Interfectum

But another console? Amazon is big but will people really sway from established PS/XBOX brands for a console nowadays?

You're assuming these brands are as powerful as they used to be. I think the next couple years is going to be pretty crazy (and tough) for some hardcore gamers.

Guevara

I think there's a lot of room to make a $99-$199 console this generation, especially if it does a few other things and ties in with Prime etc.

(Nintendo probably should have aimed for $199, but I think everyone was assuming the PS4 would be $500).

QaaQer

I think there's a lot of room to make a $99-$199 console this generation, especially if it does a few other things and ties in with Prime etc.

Really? Why?

Right now we have Roku, Ouya, AppleTV, tablets with hdmi out, wd tv, intel's upcoming thing, smartTVs, google's upcoming box, etc, etc. The cheap box market is pretty saturated.

And how would something like that in anyway appeal to the core gaming audience?

Having said that, I'd have a pretty hard time coming up with a reason for Amazon to release something more powerful than PS4. I still hope they do though.

Top Bottom