• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

It's pretty strange to think there are only 3 companies in the console space.

I guess because it's not always profitable? The Xbox division has never turned a profit, right?

SparkTR

Makes no sense to get into gaming hardware. Everyone but Nintendo loses their shirt on the hardware.

Gaming isn't the primary reason. In the future more and more people are going to cancel their cable subscriptions and more and more people are going to get high speed internet. Those people are all going to want digital movies, TV shows etc along with the same level of ease as they had in the past, and all these companies (including Sony and Microsoft) want to make the device to own during and after this transition. It was pretty telling after seeing the XBO reveal.

You know what's so good about working with an x86 framework? It's a pc. All the consoles you see in front of you are PCs with brand name skins. They're similar, but the PS4 is using more powerful components. There was some truth to what Carmack was saying, in how they use the same architecture.

If the Amazon console is using x86, it's no wonder how they got it ready in such a short time, all Amazon had to do was copy the innards of the other consoles, and put their own spin on it.

LOL everyone is thinking custom architecture like ps3 cells, or whatever quad cores the 360 had before. Scrap that from your minds the consoles you are getting are pcs, that you can assemble yourself.

The only thing that will vary is the OS, or 'XMB' on the system, the exterior aesthetics, and the prices.

All Amazon needed to do was design the box, and hire devs.

Essentially, ''press button here to be game lord''.
I don't think you understood my post at all. I never suggested Amazon would be using exotic hardware, nor did I talk about Amazon's ability to quickly launch a console. I'm saying they're not going be having more powerful hardware than PS4/Xbone while launching in the same timeframe, because I believe that Amazon will be aiming to undercut them on price. The only way Amazon could provide more powerful hardware, and launch cheaper than $399 is if they launched it years from now when more powerful components will be cheaper than it is today. It's the same way Nintendo could launch a console with competitive performance to PS3/360 for less than $300, while the PS3/360 cost $500/$400. Performance/$ increases over time, as it has since the dawn of computers. All that stuff you posted in response to me had nothing to do with my post.

TriGen

I guess because it's not always profitable? The Xbox division has never turned a profit, right?

I think in the last year they have for the first time (not a lot). But I could be mistaken.

would be a cool idea if they were making a steambox type thing but no way they can make a dent in this console generation releasing after all 3 major platforms are already out...gotta beat them to the punch if you want to do something like this, shit even nintendo had to do that to compete with sony/ms.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

The long-term investment required and potential oversaturation of the market that can keep you and everyone in the red is nothing to sneeze at, and that's before you get to strong brand loyalties, etc. Its also why there isn't much serious competition in colas or other big brands with big markets.

Pretty sure Xbox division has been muchos profitable for years upon years now. Don't have a source but they've been bragging about such stuff for a while now.

No way this is a Xbox/PS4 style console, it would be too expensive to get into the market and the potential rewards too small. I'm betting if it ever happens it'll be cheap and low-powered with a strong focus on media features.

it's because (especially in this day and age) no one wants to own a console that most of their friends don't own...what's the fun in gaming if you can't game with friends. and if you're going to game you want a large library available. hell look at all the people avoiding wii-u so they can grab an xb1 or ps4. nobody wanted a 3DO or atari jaguar but i guess amazon forgets that the market isn't just an endless stream of revenue.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Potentially completely terrifying, if Amazon can do to the console market what they've done to eBooks, DVDs, CDs, etc.

IvorB

Wow. If Amazon enters the ring that would be crazy. Something tells me it wouldn't be a straight down the line home console like Xbox or PlayStation. Everyone got hyped when Amazon was going to release a tablet thinking it would be an iPad killer but it turned out to be targeted completely differently.

Yasawas

I'm imagining the UK version to be an Ouya with a LoveFilm app, a place to buy music and that's about it. I've still never seen a Kindle Fire in real life here, I don't see how they can pull this off outside the US.

Ran rp

I'm excited to see what this really is. Snatching up talent from Microsoft? They must be serious about this.

SparkTR

The long-term investment required and potential oversaturation of the market that can keep you and everyone in the red is nothing to sneeze at, and that's before you get to strong brand loyalties, etc. Its also why there isn't much serious competition in colas or other big brands with big markets.

Pretty sure Xbox division has been muchos profitable for years upon years now. Don't have a source but they've been bragging about such stuff for a while now.

Disregarding their massive losses with the original Xbox and the RRoD fiasco, they have been doing good in recent years, but that's still not enough it seems. Their division makes so much less profit than Microsoft's others that it's seen as the red-headed step-child of the family, which I assume was the main reason they were leaning so hard into TV during the reveal, they've pushed pure gaming revenue as far as it can stretch, and digital TV/movies/content for the mainstream is what's going to push the division further.

it's because (especially in this day and age) no one wants to own a console that most of their friends don't own...what's the fun in gaming if you can't game with friends. and if you're going to game you want a large library available. hell look at all the people avoiding wii-u so they can grab an xb1 or ps4. nobody wanted a 3DO or atari jaguar but i guess amazon forgets that the market isn't just an endless stream of revenue.

But the reason people aren't buying the Wii U isn't because their friends are not on it. Not once have I heard that. It's always been about the gamepad or low-power.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I don't think you understood my post at all. I never suggested Amazon would be using exotic hardware, nor did I talk about Amazon's ability to quickly launch a console. I'm saying they're not going be having more powerful hardware than PS4/Xbone while launching in the same timeframe, because I believe that Amazon will be aiming to undercut them on price. The only way Amazon could provide more powerful hardware, and launch cheaper than $399 is if they launched it years from now when more powerful components will be cheaper than it is today. It's the same way Nintendo could launch a console with competitive performance to PS3/360 for less than $300, while the PS3/360 cost $500/$400. Performance/$ increases over time, as it has since the dawn of computers. All that stuff you posted in response to me had nothing to do with my post.
Not to your detriment, but had you elaborated on your post like you did here, I would have not responded to you. Not even acknowledged you. Aren't you glad I did? Questioning other people's reading comprehension when your post did little to give people your train of thought is silly. Why wait 3-4 years to a release an outdated console? Do you run Nintendo? Because WiiU must have been ur idea.

Why wait when Amazon can afford doing it now, getting some turf now, they aren't exactly strapped for cash, owning the cosmos and all. Deerrp

$h@d0w

I'll bet that this is an always online console, they don't have Microsoft's baggage to deal with and Amazon is already seen as an online company.

Amazon will do what Microsoft didn't have the balls to - they have that nice Whispernet tech too.

ekim

My gut feeling tells me, that this is going to end up as a more beefier Ouya. I don't expect a true nextgen console hardware wise.

Nibel

The thing is

These guys must have so much fucking data that they can design that console in a much better way than the other 3 - I'm interested to see where they'll go with this

I don't think this is a bad idea.

I also have no reason to believe Amazon is capable of delivering a good hardware or gaming experience. I definitely think they have the capabilities to pull off the online and content delivery services though.

Should be a fun fall.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The thing is

These guys must have so much fucking data that they can design that console in a much better way than the other 3 - I'm interested to see where they'll go with this
Prism does give back.
Poor Ouya... No Prism, honest, yet fucked over.

But the reason people aren't buying the Wii U isn't because their friends are not on it. Not once have I heard that. It's always been about the gamepad or low-power.

or the really slim pickings library that i stated. no EA games pretty much killed the dreamcast and nintendo is barely doing better in the same situation.

I love me some Amazon, more than anyone...but I'm still skeptical until I see some hardware and software to back up the claims. Might look nice as a companion piece next to my PS4 at the least.

Not to your detriment, but had you elaborated on your post like you did here, I would have not responded to you. Not even acknowledged you. Aren't you glad I did? Questioning other people's reading comprehension when your post did little to give people your train of thought is silly. Why wait 3-4 years to a release an outdated console? Do you run Nintendo? Because WiiU must have been ur idea.

Why wait when Amazon can afford doing it now, getting some turf now, they aren't exactly strapped for cash, owning the cosmos and all. Deerrp
There you go misunderstanding my post again.

First of all, I don't know why you're taking personal offense, thinking I'm questioning your reading comprehension. Maybe I could've been clearer. Maybe you simply misunderstood. I don't know. All I know is that your response to my post made it clear that you took something completely different from my post than what I meant in it. So, I clarified. No personal attack intended. Your response really had nothing to do with my post.

As for this last response, I never suggested Amazon should wait 3-4 years to launch a console. I was merely explaining how Amazon could possibly launch a console more powerful than PS4/Xbone for less than $399. And I used the Wii U as an example to illustrate how that works. You're right. That wouldn't be a good idea for Amazon to follow, which I why I said I don't believe they're doing that. I think they're going to launch with a cheaper and less powerful system. If you agree with that, then we're finally on the same page. No hard feelings, just understanding each other.

Donos

Wouldn't the timing be really bad?. Now the two industry titans are releasing their new consoles with huge 3rd party support and solid 1party titles. Amazon or the "Kindle Gamer" would need pretty big 1rd party games to even compete against them.Only chance i can see is if it's priced 200$/€ with specs which are not far away from XB1/PS4.

This won't just be a gaming device, it will very much be an entertainment device.

They can offer up the Amazon Store with all of it's content direct to a users television.

This thing could be massive.

Ecotic

If true I imagine Amazon will be making something far more untraditional like the Ouya, in the sense of trying to find a backdoor route into this industry as opposed to making a hardcore system like the PS4, because the reality is making a console like the PS4 or Xbox One is a balls deep, all-in kind of thing. It'd take a tremendous amount of muscle and up-front losses. Microsoft barely got in with the original Xbox and they bled a small fortune to do it.

SMT

There you go misunderstanding my post again.

First of all, I don't know why you're taking personal offense, thinking I'm questioning your reading comprehension. Maybe I could've been clearer. Maybe you simply misunderstood. I don't know. All I know is that your response to my post made it clear that you took something completely different from my post than what I meant in it. So, I clarified. No personal attack intended. Your response really had nothing to do with my post.

As for this last response, I never suggested Amazon should wait 3-4 years to launch a console. I was merely explaining how Amazon could possibly launch a console more powerful than PS4/Xbone for less than $399. And I used the Wii U as an example to illustrate how that works. You're right. That wouldn't be a good idea for Amazon to follow, which I why I said I don't believe they're doing that. I think they're going to launch with a cheaper and less powerful system. If you agree with that, then we're finally on the same page. No hard feelings, just understanding each other.

What are you implying?
That the console which Amazon is launching will be equal in terms of power with the likes of the PS4 and X3, but will be cheaper because Amazon will sell some low-cut underwear?

ToyBroker

Banned
If true, this would be quite cool.

Kinda like an AppleTV but plays games as well.

Actually sounds exactly like an AppleTV pretty much. Unless this thing is beefier specs wise.

And for the person wondering if this will be always online--you better believe it. You'll buy things from the Amazon store which will download automatically and sync to all your Amazon devices (kinda like how it does now). It'll probably phone-home to verify you actually own the content on the system.

TriGen

What are you implying?
That the console which Amazon is launching will be equal in terms of power with the likes of the PS4 and X3, but will be cheaper because Amazon will sell some low-cut underwear?

He/she's saying Amazon's box will be considerably weaker.

saladine1

It seems that most news outlets are saying that it's an Android console.
If so, then not even remotely interested..

Jac_Solar

The console itself isn't relevant, or matters, whatsoever, beyond what kind of games it's capable of playing -- but that is proven by games as well. What does matter is its game library, and how well supported it is - how many new games it gets per month and so forth.

So, while a new console announcement is potentially exciting, since it implies that it will have games, that isn't a given. Until games are announced, and until the amount of support they are prepared to give it (How large is their games division? What's their budget? etc.), this doesn't sound exciting.

SMT

He/she's saying Amazon's box will be considerably weaker.
I'm placing my bet on stronger than WiiU.
Any takers? Monopoly money only.

Xbox One will respond by allowing you to turn the page with Kinect and have eBooks read out loud to your whole family with Xbox Read To My Kids.

What are you implying?
Are you trolling me now?

From the end of my last post:

I think they're going to launch with a cheaper and less powerful system. If you agree with that, then we're finally on the same page.
I don't know how that was unclear to you. Did you misread it? What's with the "low-cut underwear" snark?

StiLt

I'm imagining the UK version to be an Ouya with a LoveFilm app, a place to buy music and that's about it. I've still never seen a Kindle Fire in real life here, I don't see how they can pull this off outside the US.

Yup. We'll just get the Amazon G.I.M.P. over here as usual.
(Greatly Inferior Moribund Pisstake)

SMT

Are you trolling me now?

From the end of my last post:

I don't know how that was unclear to you. Did you misread it? What's with the "low-cut underwear" snark?
C'mon George, you know I love ya, but sometimes you can go waaay off-topic. I'm saying stronger than WiiU. Please understand.
I'm actually with you. I think if Amazon does this they'll go for it more than some people seem to think.
Yep, and it would make for some decent games, and smooth video playback.
Amazon is the clout of the cloud!

I doubt Amazon will make a AAA gaming machine, this almost assuredly will be so Amazon has public brand option for delivering Amazon Content and will be highly controlled like the Kindle Fire.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Silly Amazon the Panasonic Jungle is unstoppable your too late the war has been won!

Top Bottom