• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

I doubt Amazon will make a AAA gaming machine, this almost assuredly will be so Amazon has public brand option for delivering Amazon Content and will be highly controlled like the Kindle Fire.

Probably runs Android like Ouya and Kindle, I don't think its gonna compete with PS4 and Xb1, this is gonna be like a DVR media player with a nice UI that also plays games and connects with Kindles.

C'mon George, you know I love ya, but sometimes you can go waaay off-topic. I'm saying stronger than WiiU. Please understand.
I admit I can veer off-topic sometimes, but I didn't think I was off-topic this time. I strictly talked about Amazon's rumored console and offered my initial reaction predictions regarding power and cost like a lot of other Gaffers in this thread. And it got long-winded, because I wanted to include my reasoning behind it. But I'm glad to know you were just fucking with me, because I wasn't sure what else I could do to get my points across to you, and I haven't yet figured out how to talk slowly via message board posts. ;)

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it.

An actual fourth competitor could be interesting, though...

We already have one. Its called Ouya.

What i want to see is : Apple joining, Amazon joining and Sega joining the Console war.

6 Consoles. That could result in at least 2 interesting ones.

Something Tegra 5 or SGX Series 6 based (with quad A15s) should have no problem outperforming current generation consoles when placed in a STB where clock speeds can be ramped up without battery/heat concerns. With Amazon's model of selling at cost a price of $100-$150 should be more than possible.

This thing could be very interesting if they do it right.

Would love this to be true, this industry needs a shakeup, something disruptive. People who are downplaying this potential because Amazon doesn't have a large presence in their country: Amazon is the largest and most powerful internet retailer by far, they'll figure it out. They're not known in those countries because they don't think it's worth it, if they decided it is worth they'll make themselves known

Sendou

The thing is

These guys must have so much fucking data that they can design that console in a much better way than the other 3 - I'm interested to see where they'll go with this

Me too. More competition the better. Amazon has my best wishes if they really go through with such device!

Looking at how half-assed and low-end their tablets are, with an OS even more restricted than iOS, I would never want an Amazon console.

Busty

Banned
If this is basically a KINDLE in a box with a joypad for something like $200 this could be huge. Seriously HUGE.

Imagine how much it would undercut MS' quest to get in every living room with all their TV orientated hardware if Amazon had an relatively inexpensive set top box that allowed customers access to all the services Amazon has and still lets the kids play Angry Birds on the TV.

It won't be competing directly with the Xbone or even the PS4 but it could still take a massive bite out of their lunch regardless.

It's pretty exciting. Anything that expands the business, even if it does take a chunk of MS and Sony's potential market share, is good for everyone.

There you go misunderstanding my post again.

First of all, I don't know why you're taking personal offense, thinking I'm questioning your reading comprehension. Maybe I could've been clearer. Maybe you simply misunderstood. I don't know. All I know is that your response to my post made it clear that you took something completely different from my post than what I meant in it. So, I clarified. No personal attack intended. Your response really had nothing to do with my post.

As for this last response, I never suggested Amazon should wait 3-4 years to launch a console. I was merely explaining how Amazon could possibly launch a console more powerful than PS4/Xbone for less than $399. And I used the Wii U as an example to illustrate how that works. You're right. That wouldn't be a good idea for Amazon to follow, which I why I said I don't believe they're doing that. I think they're going to launch with a cheaper and less powerful system. If you agree with that, then we're finally on the same page. No hard feelings, just understanding each other.

The prize for The most human and adult response to passive aggression goes to.... GEORGE CLAW! Give him a hand '_'

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm of thinking that the last thing we need is yet another box to buy. Not that I think this would offer anything I'd want to buy, but still, I'd much prefer if they just make games for existing machines, if they've already decided to get into game business.

Walshicus

It's not a unique situation... In the U.S, Apple pays about .05 percent tax. Greedy immoral corporations will always be such.

I kind of accept that corporations will want to pay as little tax as possible, but there's "tax avoidance" and then there's "taking the piss". What they're doing might not be illegal, but they should certainly suffer the PR damage from their choices.

Yasawas

Would love this to be true, this industry needs a shakeup, something disruptive. People who are downplaying this potential because Amazon doesn't have a large presence in their country: Amazon is the largest and most powerful internet retailer by far, they'll figure it out. They're not known in those countries because they don't think it's worth it, if they decided it is worth they'll make themselves known

It's not that they're not a big retailer but they don't seem to offer half the services outside the US that they offer in it for rights reasons and you would assume that would be a big part of their strategy for getting under televisions. I know they definitely like money so I would've thought they would have that stuff in place by now and generating revenue if it was an easy fix. That said I think they offer PC downloads in the UK now so that's a start.

I'm not down on this at all as I love the tax-evading bastards, I use them a lot and their customer service is glorious, absolutely the gold standard. I adore my Kindle and the convenience of buying books and having them available on a variety of devices so if they could have the same thing working between console and a phone app or something that would be incredible. I'm sceptical at this point though as a lot of their excursions outisde their core retail business have not been huge, here at least - Cloud Drive, Kindle Fire, Amazon Prime (we get less for the subscription) all seem very niche things here - the Kindle is the exception.

If this is basically a KINDLE in a box with a joypad for something like $200 this could be huge. Seriously HUGE.

Imagine how much it would undercut MS' quest to get in every living room with all their TV orientated hardware if Amazon had an relatively inexpensive set top box that allowed customers access to all the services Amazon has and still lets the kids play Angry Birds on the TV.

It won't be competing directly with the Xbone or even the PS4 but it could still take a massive bite out of their lunch regardless.

It's pretty exciting. Anything that expands the business, even if it does take a chunk of MS and Sony's potential market share, is good for everyone.

This already exists. it's called the PS3 and Xbox360. Both of those two already have 99% of the content amazon can offer already available, and those things are basically pure profit by now. Sony and MS can sell them at whatever price point they see fit- not that they have to, there's already 160 million of them out there.

releasing another set top box, especially an android one is beyond useless. 99% of the existing android games are optimized to run on phones and tablets, not 50 inch televisions. The existing library is trash for a set top box. As we've seen with OUYA, it doesn't work well. Amazon will need custom software designed for the platform, and they are way, WAY behind sony and microsoft in this area.

Android also has significant problems with piracy and emulation. Again using OUYA as an example, many customers will simply see it as a convenient way to play SNES/N64 games for free, and not actually buy software.

This could work as an enhanced portable device (didn't NVIDIA just make one?) to compete with vita and 3DS, but that's about it.

p3tran

Banned
if amazon manages to provide for me better hardware than sony/ms in their box,
I will be seriously looking for this one.

Amazon? So we can expect a really cheap console...

not really. consoles are ALREADY routinely sold either at cost, or even a loss (WiiU).
This isn't like competing with Apple where 30% of the retail cost is profit. Amazon can't really undercut Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft to any significant extent with a similarly powered box.

if amazon manages to provide for me better hardware than sony/ms in their box,
I will be seriously looking for this one.

Amazon doesn't have the hardware design chops to compete with Sony or Microsoft. period. The kindle fire doesn't stack up well at ALL vs. similar tablets from samsung, asus, apple, etc. It's cheap but that's the only benefit. Consoles have a different business model than tablets do though- none of the big three have any margin to speak of on the hardware. "cheap" isn't going to be a selling point.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
3 consoles, 2 handhelds, 1 Gaming PC, and a smartphone is as far as I'll ever go hardware wise.

Please no out of left field amazing exclusives. Also it appears this is the second coming of the wild west ANY BOX GOES Jaguar+CDi+3D0 age.

DieH@rd

Banned
Even if they put S800 and Adreno 340 in it [which will be relativley close to X360] .... if all we get on it are the standard smartphone/tablet games, count me out.

Krilekk

Banned
I did not say it's an unknown brand, i just said that if they were to make game console, they would not have the chops to really compete with the big three.

Not so sure about that. Amazon has reacted whenever digital was threatening their revenues. They have the biggest digital book market, they have one of the biggest digital music markets, they have one of the largest video on demand services, they have their own tablets and a dedicated app store, getting into the gaming business is just a logical step considering not so long from now the consoles and PC will be fully digital. It would make sense to have an x86 platform on the market and have games for it in their own store. It would ensure fast portability from PC and next gen consoles. Kinda like the Steambox it keeps them a player in the market without too much effort. Some nice exclusives (Half-Life 3 for Steambox?) and you have your userbase. The alternative is that five to ten years from now Amazon doesn't make a single dollar on a 30 billion dollar industry.

3 consoles, 2 handhelds, 1 Gaming PC, and a smartphone is as far as I'll ever go hardware wise.

Please no out of left field amazing exclusives. Also it appears this is the second coming of the wild west ANY BOX GOES Jaguar+CDi+3D0 age.

Seems like it. That "wild west" period didn't last all that long though. maybe a year? 18 months?

The Jag and CDi died on arrival, the 3D0 was dead as soon as the PS1 launched, the Saturn was dead not long after. There wasn't a viable console competing with the PS1 until the N64 launched in late 96.

I wonder if it will be like Kindle, where if you get banned for any one of Amazon's pathetic reasons (Returnd too many faulty goods lol), then you lose your account and everything you purchased on Kindle. (It's happened to a LOT of people)

not really. consoles are ALREADY routinely sold either at cost, or even a loss (WiiU).
This isn't like competing with Apple where 30% of the retail cost is profit. Amazon can't really undercut Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft to any significant extent with a similarly powered box.

Amazon doesn't have the hardware design chops to compete with Sony or Microsoft. period. The kindle fire doesn't stack up well at ALL vs. similar tablets from samsung, asus, apple, etc. It's cheap but that's the only benefit. Consoles have a different business model than tablets do though- none of the big three have any margin to speak of on the hardware. "cheap" isn't going to be a selling point.
Amazon can totally undercut the big 3 in price if they choose, they can swallow a loss easily. Remember, they don't have to worry about the brick and mortars and all of the infrastructure concerns and cost involved: they are the distribution. If the console ends up being digital only there's another area to cut costs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This would be cool if it was on the mid-to-high end of things (PS4<->PC) rather than the android mini-console end of things.

A strong 3 way competition would be better than the current 2-way, IMO. Microsoft has been slipping, Sony is good with strong competition.

Busty

Banned
I wonder if it will be like Kindle, where if you get banned for any one of Amazon's pathetic reasons (Returnd too many faulty goods lol), then you lose your account and everything you purchased on Kindle. (It's happened to a LOT of people)

wot

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

p3tran

Banned

I understand, yet as i said, the only way that amazon h/w will interest me as a buyer, is if I could get better hardware from them than what microsoft and sony is offering.
I never used the word "cheap" or "cheaper than" myself.

I think amazon is big enough to make this happen, I just dont know if that's what they are interested in doing.

Amazon can totally undercut the big the in price if they choose, they can swallow a loss easily.

not really, no. Taking a loss is one thing, but there are limits. price things too low and you run afoul of anti dumping laws. Amazon cannot significantly undercut products that are already sold at zero profit margin due to legal issues. The kindle isn't really any cheaper than the nook, kobo, etc. The kindle fire isn't any cheaper than a nexus 7. Amazon cannot make a product comparable to a PS4 or PS3 that's cheaper.

Remember, they don't have to worry about the brick and mortars and all of the infrastructure concerns and cost involved: they are the distribution. If the console ends up being digital only there's another area to cut costs.

Actually, they do. are you not aware that kindles and kindle fires sell in brick and mortar businesses?

And again- brick and mortar retailers make nothing on traditional consoles. we're talking zero to single digit dollar amounts. it's all made up in games and accessories.

not really, no. Taking a loss is one thing, but there are limits. price things too low and you run afoul of anti dumping laws. Amazon cannot significantly undercut products that are already sold at zero profit margin due to legal issues.

What did you mean when you said the PS3 and 360 are 'pure profit'?

This already exists. it's called the PS3 and Xbox360. Both of those two already have 99% of the content amazon can offer already available, and those things are basically pure profit by now. Sony and MS can sell them at whatever price point they see fit- not that they have to, there's already 160 million of them out there.

I'd probably quit gaming for a few years if this is meant to be a comparable competitor to the big three(as in not some Ouya-type thing)

CoG

I really doubt it's going to be a PS4/Xbone competitor from the gaming side. It will probably be a $99 or less Ouya class device that will play Android games (perhaps first-party or exclusive Amazon games) and be a portal to all of their online services like Instant Video, etc.

Busty

Banned

releasing another set top box, especially an android one is beyond useless. 99% of the existing android games are optimized to run on phones and tablets, not 50 inch televisions. The existing library is trash for a set top box. As we've seen with OUYA, it doesn't work well. Amazon will need custom software designed for the platform, and they are way, WAY behind sony and microsoft in this area.

Android also has significant problems with piracy and emulation. Again using OUYA as an example, many customers will simply see it as a convenient way to play SNES/N64 games for free, and not actually buy software.

This could work as an enhanced portable device (didn't NVIDIA just make one?) to compete with vita and 3DS, but that's about it.

While citing the PS360 as the more viable option for a family on a budget I think that same argument can be aimed at the iPad and the Kindle itself. The Kindle is the by far the inferior model yet it's cheaper and is marketing directly to the Amazon audience.

I imagine there is a huge sway of the audience out there that aren't interested in a 'traditional console' and instead want something inexpensive that caters to their specific needs ie Amazon apps/streaming and Angry Birds to keep the kids happy.

While I don't want to sound overly sexist I think people overestimate how unappealing either console from MS or Sony could be to a housewife who wants a box for the whole family to use. Older kids will either buy their console of choice and have it in their rooms or be largely uninterested in a Kindle style Android box that plays whatever 'low end' games the other people in the house downloaded.

While it's still early yet I suppose it's entirely possible that Amazon is targeting a family audience that Sony and MS are inadvertently turning off.

What did you mean when you said the PS3 and 360 are 'pure profit'?

oh, that. a couple of things:

1.) Those two are known/widely assumed to be selling for way more than they should be. The PS3 in particular has undergone a significant cost reduction and redesign lately, but the price actually went up. They will price drop that soon- likely when the PS4 launches, but right now the price on it is fairly high and has pretty big margins on it.

2.) Those two platforms are coming to the end of their lifespans, and the market is pretty much saturated at their current price points. Sony and Microsoft won't be relying on new sales of them as revenue drivers. They'll still sell units here and there over the next couple of years, but the vast amount of software sales are going to be coming from people who already own units.

While citing the PS360 as the more viable option for a family on a budget I think that same argument can be aimed at the iPad and the Kindle itself. The Kindle is the by far the inferior model yet it's cheaper and is marketing directly to the Amazon audience.

The iPad is a bad example, because the iPad is marketed as a high end luxury device, that sells with significant profit margins built into it that spike the cost of the hardware. Apple makes money on the hardware side AND the software side. Consoles (PS3, 360) generally do not. A better example is the Kindle Fire vs. the Nexus 7 or Nook HD. exact same price, exact same audience. The only real difference there is marketing- and good luck out marketing Sony and Microsoft.

I imagine there is a huge sway of the audience out there that aren't interested in a 'traditional console' and instead want something inexpensive that caters to their specific needs ie Amazon apps/streaming and Angry Birds to keep the kids happy.

Angry birds is a poor fit for a controller based console. incidentally, you may be interested to know angry birds already exists on PS360.

While it's still early yet I suppose it's entirely possible that Amazon is targeting a family audience that Sony and MS are inadvertently turning off.

The PS3 sees most household use as a netflix box- it's actually the most popular netflix device currently on the market. It ALSO runs amazon instant streaming, and allows purchase and rental of new movies not available via streaming via sony's store. 80 million people already own one. how does amazon convince those people to buy their console in addition to it?

Persona86

Banned
The more variety the better. Things like this give me hope for new experoences like how Shenmue was for dreamcast.

Excited to see updates on this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Seems like it. That "wild west" period didn't last all that long though. maybe a year? 18 months?

The Jag and CDi died on arrival, the 3D0 was dead as soon as the PS1 launched, the Saturn was dead not long after. There wasn't a viable console competing with the PS1 until the N64 launched in late 96.

Where we at currently? WiiU dying, Ouya dead. Vita dying, Shield dead. AmazonBox will die swiftly, while perhaps Valve fanboys will give SteamBox something of a half-life (BADUM BUM TSSSK).

Bodies dropping all over da place.

Haunted

Everyone is making their own console, goddamn.

Valve, Nvidia, the Ouya guys, PlayJam with their Game Stick, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Amazon.

spekkeh

Banned
This is pretty huge news. Firstly, because almost everything Amazon does turns to gold. Secondly, because while it's marketed as a games console, it will of course be a stealth settopbox for Amazon Instant Video and Music, and Amazon Instant will likely expand to game services. This in turn means that Amazon is aggressively going into the market first that people were waiting Apple, Google (and to a lesser extent MS) to go into. Who, I think, will likely follow soon. MS should be worried about their XBone becoming seriously overpriced as a TV device.

hoos30

Amazon to release original Xbox One plan to universal applause.

Book it.

OT I just joined Amazon prime this week for the shipping, but Instant Video sucks ass. Way worse than Netflix was at the beginning.

Where we at currently? WiiU dying, Ouya dead. Vita dying, Shield dead. AmazonBox will die swiftly, while perhaps Valve fanboys will give SteamBox something of a half-life (BADUM BUM TSSSK).

Bodies dropping all over da place.

well, I didn't include portables, because its a slightly different market.

but yes. The WiiU will be dead or totally irrelevant within a year. The Ouya was never viable. So there's your 3d0 and jaguar.

Shield is a portable platform, really- not meant as a console competitor. Vita is a portable, but being positioned as a PS4 accessory. it will chug along for as long as sony sees fit to support it- they're not really known for abandoning niche hardware.

Top Bottom