• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: BG&E2: Odyssey is a Switch timed exclusive (12 months, then PS4/XB1/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't look like a hat, so I assume you're saying "drawing straws" or "short end of the stick" is what you were about to say.

No he is saying stop drinking the koolaid.

Which in itself is stupid as people often lament the fact that Nintendo does not work well with 3rd parties. Now we have Nintendo working with a 3rd party to diversify their lineup and it is

A. Pointless cause the game isn't gonna sell anyways
B. Gonna ruin the sales when it releases on other consoles.
C. Game is now weak and Switch has ruined it.

I like how the first page is everyone trying to invoke mods/modbot lol. Nice.

Sounds like a good deal for Nintendo, bad deal for gamers. We'll see how it plays out six months after Switch launches.

EGM1966

If true I hope it works out well for the IP but I worry this will simply kill it for good. New console with very small install base vs large existing install base across PC/PS4/XB1 is a big risk.

Guess this helps with funding (maybe only Nintendo only platform provider interested in a deal?) and I suppose early on a small install base is games keen so might help it.

The fact many of those people may never have even touched part 1 worry's me too: why even touch a sequel? Maybe they'll minimize need to have played one or provide some kind of recap?

So much salt. lol.

BG&E as a franchise is a good fit for a nintendo system, it's a non-violent adventure game with quirky humor that I fondly remember playing on my gamecube... and re-bought on PS3. I always like what Ancel makes so hope they show off some gameplay on the 12th.

The rumour of it being NX/Switch exclusive is almost a year old now btw. (also by Laura).

PS: I also fully expect bayonetta 3. Nintendo wants a divers portfolio in it's first year on the market.

And the rumor kept changing over time: It's now only a timed exclusive.

MacTag

Banned
Well, even LEGO City Undercover is being ported over to other consoles, despite the heavy involvement from Nintendo. Unless it's a situation like Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third, which were straight-up rescues of projects already in an advanced stage of production, I doubt Nintendo has the kind of leverage to get a full-on exclusive outside of those circumstances.
LCU was more than that, Nintendo funded and oversaw development, published and advertised it worldwide, it was essentially a 1st party game. It was exactly the same situation as Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third.

Nintendo and WB likely came to an agreement for the game to go multiplat now. Sort of like MS and EA back when Mass Effect 1 was ported to PS3.

dex3108

People are ridiculous. Looking forward to the meltdowns when this is official, though.

Why it is meltdown if people are expressing their dissatisfaction that previous multiplatform game is getting sequel that is exclusive (timed or not)? Avoiding spoilers for a whole years is hard and publisher will charge full price for a year old game while on platform that got it first it will be 50%+ off.

Flui111

Banned
In all reality, this cannot be compared to Sony. SFV came out same day for PC? Shenmue 3 is coming around the same time and Nier Automata was going to be same day until the devs said that it was going to take longer to develop or something.

All I'm going to say is that I really don't see this as a good timed exclusive considering the first one flopped

guek

Banned
I 100% understand why people don't like exclusivity deals but at some point, you have to accept that that's the price of doing business. Video game companies don't exist purely for our pleasure and it's understandable that they don't always have the consumer's best interest in mind. It is what it is.

UrbanRats

So much salt. lol.

BG&E as a franchise is a good fit for a nintendo system, it's a non-violent adventure game with quirky humor that I fondly remember playing on my gamecube... and re-bought on PS3. I always like what Ancel makes so hope they show off some gameplay on the 12th.

The rumour of it being NX/Switch exclusive is almost a year old now btw. (also by Laura).

PS: I also fully expect bayonetta 3. Nintendo wants a divers portfolio in it's first year on the market.

Justified salt.
Ancel went on to say how much ambitious the game was, and how he needed powerful HW, so having it be primarily developed for Switch is odd to say the least, given the sub par HW it has.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Nah, Sony got shit for SFV. Perhaps not as much (the exclusivity deals aren't 1:1) but it is blatantly false to say the community turned a blind eye.

I think FFVIIR could be one that I've had a hard time seeing any serious backlash against even though FFVIIR is probably one of the biggest timed exclusives I can think of EVER.

Not talking about full exclusives like SFV, which I still think got less shit thrown at than the xbox timed exclusive deal with TR. Which is pretty weird.

Ridley327

LCU was more than that, Nintendo funded and oversaw development, published and advertised it worldwide, it was essentially a 1st party game. It was exactly the same situation as Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third.

Nintendo and WB likely came to an agreement for the game to go multiplat now. Sort of like MS and EA back when Mass Effect 1 was ported to PS3.

I thought that LCU was originally a multiplatform game? I seem to remember that it was silently announced with a pamphlet included in one of the prior LEGO games.

JP

Its how I feel about Tomb Raider
I'll be honest, that was pretty much how I felt about Tomb Raider too but it was a cheaper title and they dropped the price even further straight away so I ended up buying it for almost nothing.

It's not an amazing game but I'm playing through it now and it definitely was worth the budget price I paid for it. It's worth a play if you can still get it cheap. :)

Gator86

I like how the first page is everyone trying to invoke mods/modbot lol. Nice.

Sounds like a good deal for Nintendo, bad deal for gamers. We'll see how it plays out six months after Switch launches.

Good for Nintendo, the company, but bad for everyone else really. Switch owners were probably going to get it either way - now they just get only that and not whatever else that money could have produced so they lose. Everyone else is forced to wait to play it and the game likely nuclear bombs on every platform in the end instead of regular bombing.

The next no man's sky. I had the first one in gamecube and was ok, nothing else. Seems like the kind of game everyone goes crazy on internet but when its released no one really cares. Looking forward to see how it goes :D

cheesekao

I think FFVIIR could be one that I've had a hard time seeing any serious backlash against even though FFVIIR is probably one of the biggest timed exclusives I can think of ever
That probably has to do with the fact that FF7 is heavily associated with PS unlike many other timed exclusives.

video games much like everything else is a business, money talks

since games cost more and more to develop now , third parties aren't going to spend $$$$$$$$ to create a small/niche selling game now unless a first party helps fund it.

Beyond good and evil released in 2003, a full 13 years and the idea was probably pitched to ubi for countless years but they looked back at the first and saw its garbage sales and passed.

Shiggy

I thought that LCU was originally a multiplatform game? I seem to remember that it was silently announced with a pamphlet included in one of the prior LEGO games.

Originally, that was the case. But during development, WBIE and Nintendo signed some exclusivity deal. Apparently that deal did not grant eternal exclusivity though.

Forsythia

I can wait a year. And who knows, maybe I'll pick up the Switch, and if so, I'll be playing the game early. In the end, everybody wins as the game is finally coming out! (if this rumour is true)

MacTag

Banned
No, it was announced as a Nintendo exclusive at E3 2011 as Lego City Stories. Nintendo was involved from the ground up, they basically wanted Lego GTA.

E-phonk

Banned
Justified salt.
Ancel went on to say how much ambitious the game was, and how he needed powerful HW, so having it be primarily developed for Switch is odd to say the least, given the sub par HW it has.

Switch will still have more ram and a better, more modern GPU than anything from the PS3/X360 era when he made that comment.
Switch is a very modern design, that supports vulkan and the latest shader techniques. The CPU might be clocked lower than what some people expected at first, but that's not the only thing that's important.

For example: It plays Zelda a lot smoother on Switch compared to the wiiU footage we saw.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I don't see the salt in this thread that you people are constantly eluding to.

The only thing I see is ppl not liking timed exclusivity overall. And as a consumer I agree, if I dont already have the hardware, lol. I understand why it happens tho so its really no big deal to me.

I think I would rather it be full exclusive vs timed. Timed helps me out if I dont have the hardware but I never liked half measures with lots of things in life.

Its like in smartphone land I expected MS to keep mobile Office apps/software exclusive to WP/Win Mo but that didnt happen.

One one hand do you keep it exclusive and try to make your own platform stand out or do you go after revenue from Android, iOS users? I understand why MS did it in the end but I would have understood if they didnt.

Well, even LEGO City Undercover is being ported over to other consoles, despite the heavy involvement from Nintendo. Unless it's a situation like Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third, which were straight-up rescues of projects already in an advanced stage of production, I doubt Nintendo has the kind of leverage to get a full-on exclusive outside of those circumstances.

Ok....this is news to me. Thanks for this. lol. I remember going into Gamestop when it came out and asking a clerk for it for PS3 or 360. I will never forget the look he gave me.

This is one of 2 exclusives I originally got a Wii U for.

jackal27

Banned
No I dont! I support Nintendo and own every Nintendo console (except Wii, I refuse to buy it).

Off topic, but this is really weird to me. You're missing out on a lot of incredible games. Hope you played a couple of them on your Wii U at least.

Flui111

Banned
Switch will still have more ram and a better, more modern GPU than anything from the PS3/X360 era when he made that comment.
Switch is a very modern design, that supports vulkan and the latest shader techniques. The CPU might be clocked lower than what some people expected at first, but that's not the only thing that's important.

For example: It plays Zelda a lot smoother on Switch compared to the wiiU footage we saw.
Lmaooooo Wut, you're comparing switch to the WiiU for some sort of great hardware comparability. I'm gone now

Nzyme32

Because if you have to revert the bad situation of the Wii U with a new console and one of the moves you think of is buying a timed exclusivity for Beyond Good & Evil 2, then you have issues. I mean, big issues. And fans who follow you should not be relaxed about this.

Pathetic response imo. The game has been waited on for a long time and no doubt there are people that will want to get the game on the first system to sell it. That person isn't me of course, but it sure has its same cult love as bayonetta to an extent. You seem certain that this is the only style of content to have "exclusivity" of a form, and I wonder if that comes from being stuck in the threads sifting through the current rumourmongering alone (something I've spent next to no time in because I don't care). Other consoles have similar deals and they are one of many sorts of exclusivity and content. I'd wait and see what is yet to be revealed before shitting yourself

cheesekao

and that makes it completly acceptable, why?
I did not imply that. Besides, it's easy to see why people aren't up in arms about FF7R. It was never a multi-plat title and only got ported to PC at a much later date and that's what's likely gonna happen with FF7R. Compare that with Tomb Raider. PS,Xbox and PC players got the game on the same day and the sequel was a year long timed exclusive for Xbox/PC.

jackal27

Banned
I feel like the cycle for these timed exclusives is:

1. Oh, it's timed exclusive for a year? Whatever, I'll wait til it's on my platform of choice.

*1 year passes*

2. Oh that old game is finally out on my platform of choice? Eh, don't really feel like playing it anymore. Pass.
*ding ding ding*

Which isn't really the original console's fault. I almost feel like exclusives sell better, but hey if publishers keep doing it something about it must be working.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Maybe if we complain enough then Yusuf will get out his checkbook and fix the timed aspect of it.

* Edit I mean Kimishima

Calling it - Zelda is being pushed back to June because BG&E2 is a launch title and Nintendo are trying to avoid the Zelda train steamrolling the shit out of quirky, French Zelda - regardless of how good it is.

AHA-Lambda

People hoping for the Switch to have a good reveal event so it's not a flop, and others hoping for leaks to not cause issues when it's about business deals.

But yeah, I guess I should probably do some basic reaction like everyone and leave this thread.

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous reason; so going by your logic if this is timed then the Switch will be a flop?

And since when do leaks like this cause problems with business deals in any tangible way? Leaks happen all the time in this industry. Do you get this antsy with every rumour on this site?

jackal27

Banned
38qBZn4.png

Nailed it.

E-phonk

Banned
Lmaooooo Wut, you're comparing switch to the WiiU for some sort of great hardware comparability. I'm gone now

Ancel's statement was that BG&E 2 was not possible on last gen hardware (ps3/xbox360).
I state that Switch is more powerful that last gen hardware and - very important - has more ram and modern GPU functions. So these two statements don't need to conflict.

PS3: 512mb ram
Switch: 4GB ram

Ancel explicitly mentioned RAM several times as one of the factors that kept the game from working well on previous hardware.

dex3108

Calling it - Zelda is being pushed back to June because BG&E2 is a launch title and Nintendo are trying to avoid the Zelda train steamrolling the shit out of quirky, French Zelda - regardless of how good it is.

Game just entered production phase so nope.

Neither I.

Also, this "salt" thing is quickly becoming tired here in NeoGaf.

LEARN how to read thing, then talk about salty replies.

No lie...Its very..ugh manufacturered lol I'm sorry, I can't help but to say it.

People are just concerned for the well being of the game since it's timed and niche. Others will wait. Others are bringing up the words of the creator himself who said it needed more power and that's it. I haven't seen any arguments that's like "fuck this game because it's not coming to my PS4" as others has taken the specific liberty to point out thought it was never said since it's already coming to the PS4 as per the rumor. The only relevant thing here is, will anyone care after the year is up? This is good for Nintendo but if from what I gather, that many have mentioned, is it worth it as this game is super niche? I think I would even be more happier if Nintendo moneyhatted something much more bigger that can cause some type of outrage but this game isn't even one I've played and one anyone really is in arms about so I guess it's okay for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom