• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: BG&E2: Odyssey is a Switch timed exclusive (12 months, then PS4/XB1/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I feel like the cycle for these timed exclusives is:

1. Oh, it's timed exclusive for a year? Whatever, I'll wait til it's on my platform of choice.

*1 year passes*

2. Oh that old game is finally out on my platform of choice? Eh, don't really feel like playing it anymore. Pass.

Ridley327

The likely most likely reason is that it's a different company, a different game, a different console, a different deal and the two have nothing to do with one another
Right. Sega has largely been apathetic towards their non-breadwinner IPs for years now, so Nintendo getting Bayonetta 2 exclusively makes sense. Ubisoft is going to be considerably more skeptical of an exclusive, especially in the case of Nintendo hardware as a result of Zombi U's underperformance. Unless Nintendo is straight up paying for the game outright, Ubi is going to be forking over a not-insubstantial amount of money and resources to get the game done.

Castef

Banned

Because if you have to revert the bad situation of the Wii U with a new console and one of the moves you think of is buying a timed exclusivity for Beyond Good & Evil 2, then you have issues. I mean, big issues. And fans who follow you should not be relaxed about this.

UrbanRats

If this ends up at Resident Evil 4 quality, I'm in. Timed exclusive is weird, though. Ubisoft relationship with Nintendo is intriguing.

What does that mean? RE4 was state of the art when it came out, because the Game Cube was a powerful console.

Retail-exclusive for Switch pretty much guarantees I'll be buying that version.

Plus, carts. Yum. Gonna' buy so many lil' Switch cartridges this year.

Harlock

If Nintendo put the 30 nes classic embed on the Switch woukd have 10x more effect than putting money on a third party niche game.

Cyborg

1. Oh, it's timed exclusive for a year? Whatever, I'll wait til it's on my platform of choice.

*1 year passes*

2. Oh that old game is finally out on my platform of choice? Eh, don't really feel like playing it anymore. Pass.

Its how I feel about Tomb Raider

Petrae

Laura's leaks lately feel like her stealing thunder from Nintendo and the game developers more than anything to me. :/

It's 2017. Not 1992. Leaks and rumors come out for everyone in the video game industry, and the 24-hours-a-day nature of the internet versus monthly print of magazines and limited tech of the past means that this stuff is going to get out there. It doesn't matter which company it is.

*1 year passes*

Pretty much this. Rise of the Tomb Raider syndrome.

I was interested in it before the exclusivity deal. It's been out for the PS4 for months-- and I still haven't bought it. I probably won't, either.

Big Nikus

"Nintendo doesn't work enough with third parties !"

One exclusive rumored

"Nintendo shouldn't have deals with third parties !"

Castef

Banned
If Nintendo put the 30 nes classic embed on the Switch woukd have 10x more effect than putting money on a third party niche game.

This.

Or grab a nice indie developer and give them the F-Zero franchise, for instance.

Or the Star Fox Franchise.

I can easily think about 10 "cheap" (relatively cheap) ideas which could provide a much better result than publishing Bay... EHM... Beyond Good & Evil 2 on Nintendo Switch.

And I wonder WHY Nintendo executives could not think the same way. I mean, IF (we are inside a HUGE "if" bubble here...) they really think a deal on BG&E 2 would boost Switch sales, then they are in trouble.

Schnozberry

So they couldn't do this game before because the tech just wasn't there for the ambitious vision etc etc... and then it comes out on Switch? Lmao.

You do realize the original game was released 14 years ago, right? Maybe he's referring to the previous generation of consoles? There's nothing about the hardware in the Switch that would prevent sizable open world games.

"Nintendo doesn't have enough 3rd party games"

*Nintendo gets a 3rd party exclusive

"Fuck Nintendo I want that on my console of choice! "

The cycle continues.

One exclusive rumored

This deal doesn't bother me in the slightest and ppl getting mad need to relax..But surely you know (in fact I know you know) what ppl mean when they want third party support

big_erk

This thread.

Salt_Pile.jpg

But seriously. The original game did not set the world on fire, but it has a loyal almost fanatical fanbase. This is more a prestige project. Just the fact that it will only be on Switch for the first year will generate buzz. Even people who have no interest in the game or the system will probably hear about it somewhere. Anything that can build mindshare is a good thing.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
What makes this different from when you get happy when [insert your platform owner of choice] does this?
Because it's not like timed exclusives doesn't exist elsewhere and seemingly most of the time we don't get giant threads about it with a lot of angry people.

I do agree that all of these kinds of deals are bad for consumers in general but it just feels like this forum is filled to the brim with hypocrits.

z0m3le

Banned
No I dont! I support Nintendo and own every Nintendo console (except Wii, I refuse to buy it). I dont support the strategy cause it just doesnt work. Look at

- N64
- GC
- WiiU

All consoles beaten hard by competition. They need to become MY primary console to play all the 3rd an 1st party games. I only use my Nintendo consoles for the 1st party exclusives.

Switch needs to become everyones primary console to succeed if Nintendo fails in that we will all be buying our games for the console of the competitors.

I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan, I will enjoy a lot of 3rd parties on the go, but I don't care if some don't come. The goal shouldn't be for Nintendo to be your only platform, it offers a unique experience and a unique library that you won't find anywhere else, the 3rd parties that do come will offer you functionality you can't find on the other platforms, so enjoy what comes, but don't expect everything, that wasn't going to happen. Even if Switch was more powerful than Scorpio, it would still have to sell like the Wii for 3rd parties to begrudgingly port their games over. There is simply bad blood with some publishers, and you can see this with the "recent" me4 news, it sounds like they didn't even try running the game on Switch, and that wouldn't surprise me given how EA and Nintendo had a huge falling out over Wii U.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just recently Ancel reiterated that the scope of this game needs strong hardware (and isn't coming out anytime soon).
What better way to throw everyone off the Nintendo scent? But yeah not exactly the moody credible sounding rumour

Leaker is a job now?

The timed exclusivity too? My bad then.

Oh no, I agree that people at Ubisoft are way too careless in the first place. Already creating problems for Ubisoft.
But there is a difference when it goes public.

I work in the games industry. I can assure you this is not something as breaking as you might think.
Games being leaked is sadly nothing new, but business deals is another problem and usually problematic both for companies and employees until the real message is out. I can assure you the guy talking about the exclusivity deal in the first place never worked on this.

People hoping for the Switch to have a good reveal event so it's not a flop, and others hoping for leaks to not cause issues when it's about business deals.

But yeah, I guess I should probably do some basic reaction like everyone and leave this thread.

Talk about an overreaction. This news is great for consumers, who now know they have options. Unless you work for Nintendo, you should be happy.

Oregano

Oh goodness, put down the Nin banners boys; it's a legitimate question.

How is a year exclusivity of B G&E going to move units for Nin? TR was a legitimate household name, but B G&E?

Why does it matter? It plugs a hole in their lineup.

Is Shenmue going to move PS4's for Sony.

I would say it's about creating good will but people seem to hate them for it.

Cornbread78

One exclusive rumored

"Nintendo doesn't have enough 3rd party games"

*Nintendo gets a 3rd party exclusive

"Fuck Nintendo I want that on my console of choice! "

The cycle continues.

Hmm.

3rd pary titles like Madde, Fifa, CoD, Batefield, Ass Creed, etc would have a much larger impact than buying 1 yr of exclusivity for a niche 3rd party game.

Oh goodness, put down the Nin banners boys; it's a legitimate question.

How is a year exclusivity of B G&E going to move units for Nin? TR was a legitimate household name, but B G&E?

It's a question you can ask for nearly every 3rd party exclusive deals. TR was a legitimate question indeed as it was a big IP.

Big One

Banned
Why would someone desire third party support and also want those third party games to exist on other consoles? Isn't the whole point of desiring third party support on a Nintendo console is to get all of their exclusive titles (third party or First party)? It's almost like people begging Nintendo to get third party support have no plans on playing those third party games on Nintendo consoles anyway.

This thread.

Salt_Pile.jpg

But seriously. The original game did not set the world on fire, but it has a loyal almost fanatical fanbase. This is more a prestige project. Just the fact that it will only be on Switch for the first year will generate buzz. Even people who have no interest in the game or the system will probably hear about it somewhere. Anything that can build mindshare is a good thing.

That's not how things generally work with late ports. The hype and anticipation usually isn't there for whenever they release. And a year late port that's digital only on consoles? That really would be dead on arrival.

People should maybe consider that Nintendo put up enough money to get this game greenlighted and it may not have existed without them.

The Boat

How was that a mistake?

It was the smartest thing they could have done.
The timing with which they did it was atrocious. Of course I'm not saying it would have sold better as a Wii U exclusive, but the way they did it was a fiasco, as shown by the almost immediate price drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom