• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Chinese Company Tencent Planning to hire Kojima to develop new IP

Bowdz

If Sony doesn't jump at the opportunity to hire Kojima and give him his own studio, they'll have supremely dropped the ball.

BadWolf

There was also a rumor that Tencent would buy Capcom, which turned out to be BS.

The interesting part isn't that they are interested in him, but that they are supposedly already in talks with Kojima.

They also have a ton of money, as far as I'm aware.

Isn't he locked up in his office most of the time and is stuck at Konami till December? Doubt they would let him start negotiating yet.

injurai

Banned
If Tencent gives him bank and freedom why do people care where he goes? It's like his last publisher wasn't shit as well or something to you people.

AAK

Well if they have that much money then they can afford a $100 million dollar Kojima game. You can't say the same about the majority of other publishers, so I'm OK with that.

Alienous

I think Kojima dipping his toes into the F2P market is a good thing. If anyone would make their practices feel less dirty it would be a game design genius like Hideo Kojima.

Wait, the Mother Base microtransactions.

Uh.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm pretty sure Tencent is one of the richest game companies in the industry. I believe they make online games so I'm not sure if Kojima would direct a game for them. He could, however, create IPs and worlds for them. It could be good for him to flex his creative muscle after being constrained to Metal Gear for so long. I think he should do it.

Walpurgis

Banned
If Sony doesn't jump at the opportunity to hire Kojima and give him his own studio, they'll have supremely dropped the ball.

Kojima unchained would probably be their most expensive studio (development costs) by a fair bit. I would love for it to happen but I don't think it will.

dramatis

Hideo would likely have a large set of suitors asking for his services so this one would make less sense than the likely more lucrative offers he would receive from major players.
You don't actually know how much Tencent is worth, do you? The market value of the company exceeds Amazon.

Haunted

They could almost certainly outbid any other of the big publishers vying for Kojima's attention.

That said, there are factors other than money at play here.

I don´t think a third party would hire him. MGSV got pretty expensive, even if not out of the norm for AAA. But third parties only care about the profits a game makes.

Personally i expect him to go to MS or Sony. It´s not THAT important for a first party game to be profitable on it´s own, as the goal would be to get people to buy their console for that game and then buy other games too -> licensing fees. That´s why i think they´d be willing to spend that kinda money. But he is Kojima and pretty much everyone would want him.

Then again. This chinese company seems big as fuck, and consoles are allowed now in China and the market is going to continue to grow there for a very long time.

Also #FucKonami

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Agreed. They can give him what he really wants, and what no one else can offer him. His own movie studio.

Hell they're even making a MGS movie.

Squire

Banned
A lot of companies would want hire him, hardly surprising.

Doubt he will go to a Chinese company though.

I don't think so, actually. He'll probably never make another AAA game as out there are MGS usually is. As evidenced by the fact none of the other publishers on that level put out stuff like MGS.

He could get work from probably anyone, yeah, but at a vastly reduced budget.

Mifec

Worst possibilities for where kojima can go: Sony, MS, Nintendo.

Best: anything that releases multiplatform. Having his work locked to one studio or platform would be horrible.

sirap

Misread the title as Chinese Room, was about to post that Kojima would probably bankrupt them.

But Tencent is a different beast. Don't they own part of Epic? That would be an interesting collaboration.

gconsole

Kojima does not have money. And japanese game industry is in a bad shape rightnow so nobody wants to invest. China is the best shot he can get his hand on big project at this point.

Still, nerd gamer who live in fantasy world will think otherwise.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Kojima would be too rich for Sony's blood.
Yep. Besides, Sony has more than enough 1st party studios already, and Kojima is probably going to make a movie or something like that.

Mifune

Mehmber
I don't know why but I get the feeling MS will get Kojima if he's staying in game development of course.

They might pick up whatever game he works on next but I doubt they'll hire him directly. Unless MS is planning to make a heavy push into Japan (as in opening a brand new studio there), it doesn't make much sense for them.

wrowa

Other companies too, most probably.

Sure, very well possible. In the end it depends on what the companies are willing to offer to him and I can imagine that Tencent is willing to let him build up a new studio. I'm sure there are many publishers who would like to work together with Kojima, but how many are also willing to fund the bill to set up a new AAA studio?

That is if Kojima even wants to work on AAA projects in the future. Maybe he'll go indie and develop a new Snatcher. Or he'll make a movie with Del Toro. Or write a book.

I have no problem with Tencent. They could easily give him a big budget, pay the man well, and if he has creative control it would be the best option. It would also allow him to put the game on any console he wanted, plus PC

Pandy

If anybody doesn't jump at the opportunity to hire Kojima and give him his own studio, they'll have supremely dropped the ball.

He has a history with Sony, but in recent years he's moved towards multi-platform, and stated in interviews that he doesn't see tying games to specific hardware as the way forward in the future. (Hence PC MGSV.)

The real question is what does Kojima want to do next. Ever major publisher/developer should be reaching out to Kojima, including the platform holders, just incase there's some common ground they can work together on, but it remains to be seen what offers Kojima himself will be interested in.

Metroid, anyone? ;)

As long as he can make quality games he loves, I'm happy with whoever signs him!!!! Excited for all the opportunities he'll have and can't wait to see what he does next! :)

not tencent.... not tencent

tencentjloxx.jpg

Broritos

Kojima isn't the only one that will be out of a job come December. Everyone else at KojiPro will be out as well.

I'll bet they'll all form up and create a new studio.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about Kojima being snatched up by some other company.

Wagram

Deck13 need to calm their hype.

Lords of the Fallen 2? Come on, now.

Kojima could turn them into an insane developer. There's so many things that underlings could learn from a boss of his caliber.

I'm not sure where Kojima heads, but I speculate that a lot of his old staff heads with him.

JesusSama

Neo Member
Honestly, I wouldn't doubt it if Sony had already discussed things with Kojima about giving him his own studio. Maybe waiting until post MGSV to solidify anything as to not distract him with whatever remaining obligations he has to Konami and his current magnum opus.

BadWolf

Kojima isn't the only one that will be out of a job come December. Everyone else at KojiPro will be out as well.

I'll bet they'll all form up and create a new studio.

It was said that some key members are leaving with him but the rest of KojiPro are staying at Konami, dispersed among other teams.

Top Bottom