• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Chinese Company Tencent Planning to hire Kojima to develop new IP

4Tran

Kojima is a bit outside of Tencent's regular purview, but they've been known to invest outside of their comfort zone, so it wouldn't be too surprising. Certainly no other player in the industry is going to be able to outbid them if they were serious about it, and Tencent is more likely to offer Kojima creative independence than any other big player is. It's not necessarily the best possible fit but it's a lot better than it would seem at first glance. I'd say that there's about a 50% chance of the rumor being true.

Then again. This chinese company seems big as fuck, and consoles are allowed now in China and the market is going to continue to grow there for a very long time.
Tencent has no investment in the console market, so it's possible that any future project from them is going to be PC-only.

I can get bank... but freedom? That's putting it mildly optimistic.
Tencent gave Riot and Epic a lot of freedom, so why not Kojima as well?

Reg

Banned
Ro68Huj.gif

ShinMaruku

I'm sure if he wants to go somewhere it will be Sony. Fuck for all we know he is at Sony right now and they are gonna troll us at PSX. Sony is the only set big enough and insane enough to handle him. Also we'd get Kaz's blessing on Kojima. XD

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't know Tencent holds big stakes in ActiBlizz.

It was an investment as part of the Call of Duty Online alliance.

Tencent has no investment in the console market, so it's possible that any future project from them is going to be PC-only.
Fortnite is tentatively slated for consoles, but the big thing is they make online service games, so I'd imagine something like an f2p Metal Gear Online game more than a Metal Gear Solid V type game.

I'd that company wants to enter the traditional AAA gaming market, they probably are willing to provide a huge budget with more creative freedom than any other established publisher in the market.

Why? Tencent bought Riot Games, and by all accounts has never done anything to substantially influence their operations as long as League of Legends keeps making money. Tencent bought Epic Games, and again, has done nothing to change their operations (including allowing Unreal Engine to be more accessible).

They actually have a perfectly good track record with patronage of foreign developers.

NeoRausch

Am I the only one getting more and more the vibe that a big Chinese console is on the way? I mean not a cheapo android based knockoff console. But a real thing....

Viliger

Grimløck;175839912 said:
project yasuo is basically raiden from revengeance
Kojima is hired so he can write a wild story about Project skins. Riot already got site launched. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

wsippel

Banned
Why not ? Does this company have a bad record ?
No, they're actually pretty great. Tencent would certainly give Kojima a lot of creative freedom and has more than enough money to fund whatever he would come up with - as long as he does a F2P game for PC.

4Tran

Fortnite is tentatively slated for consoles, but the big thing is they make online service games, so I'd imagine something like an f2p Metal Gear Online game more than a Metal Gear Solid V type game.
It wouldn't be too surprising if Tencent were to want to experiment with a narrative-driven game; maybe with a wuxia-style story that can be targeted at Chinese gamers.

Am I the only one getting more and more the vibe that a big Chinese console is on the way? I mean not a cheapo android based knockoff console. But a real thing....
It seems unlikely; especially not from Tencent. Tencent is probably more committed to the PC platform than any company other than Valve. That is where they can best exercise their core competencies, and losing that to bet on a console in a region with almost no history with home consoles doesn't make any sense. This may change if the PS4 takes off in China, but that hasn't happened yet, and the Chinese companies are willing to wait.

i-Jest

What's up with China and video games right now?

Also, yeah right.

They're the next big market for console gaming I believe. Leyou Millenium has already bought SNKP with the promise of more content from it's famous IP's. The only downside to this is the presence of cheap knockoff/bootleg consoles, like the OUYE, and games that could appear and potentially harm or devalue the market. We'll see though.

The only way it could work in
our and
Kojima's favor would be if they do a Sega Atlus thing. Buyout KojiPro after they leave Konami and let them do what they want.

Tencent gave Riot and Epic a lot of freedom, so why not Kojima as well?

You get LoL and the largest middleware engine developer together which makes sense in an investment standpoint. Having to traditionally use a AAA model out of the blue with all the risks and development cost accounting to an unestablished IP seems way out of the park for them.

Tencent could probably give him a pretty nice salary, but I'm gonna guess that Kojima's much more interested in creative freedom than his own paycheck, so he'll go to whoever promises him the highest budget/flexibility.

4Tran

You get LoL and the largest middleware engine developer together which makes sense in an investment standpoint. Having to traditionally use a AAA model out of the blue with all the risks and development cost accounting to an unestablished IP seems way out of the park for them.
They may not have done it before, but we're talking about the biggest video game company in the world. If anyone can afford it, Tencent can. And it wouldn't be out of their character to do so - keep in mind that Riot was a much smaller entity before Tencent bought them out.

Tencent could probably give him a pretty nice salary, but I'm gonna guess that Kojima's much more interested in creative freedom than his own paycheck, so he'll go to whoever promises him the highest budget/flexibility.
That still sounds like Tencent.

Anth0ny

I want him to go somewhere where they can:

-pay for him and his games (read: lots of fucking money)
-allow complete creative control
-give him all the time he needs to bring his vision to life

I think any of the big 3 fit that criteria. If Tencent also fits that criteria, then so be it.

dukeoflegs

Since Tencent invested money into the company I work for and if Kojima ends up working with Tencent, can I say I "work with" Hideo Kojima?

I never heard of Tencent until earlier this year and I find them investing in a variety of gaming companies really interesting.

neptunes

Why else would they court him? His name is known, but any publisher would be aware that his name alone cannot sell a title.

I'm scratching my head at all the posts implying that going with Sony seems like a no-brainer.

Aces&Eights

Fuck, I wouldn't mind seeing Hideo Kojima's take on a free-to-play game. Wasn't he talking about having the player pay for another copy of a game every time they die?

Give Kojima a couple dozen million dollars and let him have a go, Tencent.

Take all that back.

Since Tencent invested money into the company I work for and if Kojima ends up working with Tencent, can I say I "work with" Hideo Kojima?

I never heard of Tencent until earlier this year and I find them investing in a variety of gaming companies really interesting.

They're basically a huge pile of money that gets thrown behind successful ventures, so it's not too surprising you haven't heard of them. They're a relatively young company (they only started being publicly traded in 2004, I think, and didn't begin expanding outside of Chinese markets until 2008), and most of their original business was in online services with only a minor side investment in MMOs.

Their portfolio expansion has basically been a matter of pairing money with people who have the potential to make more money, rather than any sort of targeted expansion within a specific market or industry. (Well, outside of internet-related services in China, which they've gone fairly broad on.)

Top Bottom