• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Deck Nine's new narrative game for E3 is a Life Is Strange prequel

Reedirect

I'm not feeling the screens, or the idea of a prequel. Putting a whole exposition on Rachel and the past feels heavy handed and unnecessary. The comparison to Twin Peaks is apt - not every story thread needs a proper exposition.

Exactly this.

If they're going to blown Rachel's importance out of proportion and turn her into a starting point of it all, I'll be extremely disappointed.

However, if they're just going for a somber look into how their friendship and relationship started, I'm up for that, but don't see the gameplay or story hook in that.

StoveOven

Banned
I wonder how they'll handle multiple paths and player choice considering all of the characters have to end up in a specific place before the original game. Obviously there can be some minor branches, but they can't have the completely different endings that they had in the first game (not that this is necessarily a problem, but it's definitely part of the original game's identity).

Also, I assume this prequel will remove the time manipulation aspect of the game, which I thought was a cool mechanic.

Deer Walk with Me.

dead2.gif

KORNdoggy

staring....chloe?

*vomits uncontrollably*

i'll stick to the sequel which i'm hoping doesn't involve either max or chloe.

Uzzy

Ready for the prequel pit, shaka brah.

I'm cautiously optimistic. More Life is Strange should be a good thing, but is this the first thing the new studio has made? I'll be keeping a firm eye out for it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Dontnod is still making Vampyr. Presumably once that's done they'll make season 2 of LiS. Maybe it's in preproduction and the prequel will fill in the gap.

Dontnod got more than 1 team though if I understand it right. Vampyr had already started development as life is strange were being made.

NeoRaider

I am confused. Who are they? That's not Dontnod?
Is someone else working on the prequel and Dontnod is working on LiS 2 or? Is this fake?

Joeku

Dontnod got more than 1 team though if I understand it right. Vampyr had already started development as life is strange were being made.

Yeah and it's nearly done, which is why I assume LiS2 has been in pre-pro for a while now.

I am confused. Who are they? That's not Dontnod?
Is someone else working on the prequel and Dontnod is working on LiS 2 or? Is this fake?

Different studio that's doing the prequel which will be announced at E3; LiS2 is in early development at Dontnod.

StoveOven

Banned
Aside from this being possibly not very good and possibly ruining characters people like, I also think that this will make the Dontnod sequel seem a little less special when it comes out. Idk. This seems like playing with fire, and I hope it doesn't burn them.

Like another poster said, it would be cool to make it full on 'fire walk with me' style with even darker undertones to the core 'life is strange' story.

This will make my wife veeeery happy.

I'm also interested. Rachel was a huge plot hole to me. Like, what the hell was her deal exactly

What they calling it; Life is going to be Strange?

They baited us with this in the original game. In episode 3 or 4, Max talks to herself and she says Life is... *cue huge bait, player finish out loud the sentence for her : strange* ... weird " :rolleyes: godamit Dotnod :D

Do not want, do not need. Prequels are wank. They made the mystery behind Rachel work, be it though stories or the way people spoke about her and gave enough of young Chloe to matter.

HeelPower

Rachel and Chloe was done pretty conclusively in the first game imo.

The game gives you enough info and clues about the whole thing.

Two new LiS games is great.

But like others, I'm not sure if a prequel is going to work well. Rachel is a bit of a mystery character, but we know too much about the rest of the cast. It'll be a bit... strange... if we have to spend the entire game playing a character who doesn't know who the bad guys are. I'm not sure it'll be fun to have that level of dramatic irony.

Maybe we'll be playing in an alt-timeline where Rachel gets Max's time-powers and uses them to avoid her death. Except we already kinda know that messing with time fucks stuff up and the game would end with Rachel going back to when she first met Chloe and choosing to keep her powers secret (just like Max) and accept death.

I loved the LiS ending because they avoided the noble sacrifice/suicide of most butterfly-effect stories and gave you the much harder choice of sacrificing your best friend.

I hope I'm wrong and they find something interesting to do with the prequel.

Top Bottom