• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Deck Nine's new narrative game for E3 is a Life Is Strange prequel

Xiofire

This reveal is a flip flop of emotions for me. Immediately, I'm hella excited for a new LiS game as I absolutely loved the first, but I'm also worried that this will weaken the overall story and delivery of the first season.

In regards to the gameplay:

I think it's fitting that Rachel will have Max's powers. If I remember rightly, it's heavily alluded throughout the first game that there is much more to Rachel, and is very similar to Max in various ways (including height and demeanor, especially when Chloe lends Max Rachel's clothes).

Throughout LiS, every time Max saves Chloe, stuff gets more and more messed up with the timeline. The entire game by the final sequence feels like Max must let Chloe go to finally get everything back on track and stop the never ending spiral that follows keeping Chloe alive.

So to hazard a guess, I'd say we'll get some hard decisions throughout that we must choose between to keep Chloe alive, and unlike Max, Rachel will pay the ultimate sacrifice while choosing Bae and we'll find out how she ended up in the ground in LiS. The final scene could be Jefferson killing Rachel, and her powers shifting to Max via the deer apparition. It'll also be nice to see Nathan before he spirals down his path too

I just hope this is good ;__;

I don't know about this.

I'm all for the S2 of LiS when DontNod releases that, but a prequel with Chloe and Rachel? I feel like I'm okay without knowing that story.

Slightly worried it's not DontNod making this, but damn if I don't love Life is Strange.

Also don't understand the Chloe haters - I guess they didn't finish the game and experienced her journey.

Makes sense this will have Rachel playable and that she has powers - you can definitely draw that conclusion from the first game. As mentioned many times a 'Fire Walk with Me' style prequel could work. Think Vortex Club, Jefferson, the Prescott's, Victoria and of course Chloe and Frank.

The more I think about - the more excited I am to be honest. Lets hope it works out.

strafer

Don't forget people were worried when another studio was going to do Arkham Origins, turns out they made the greatest Batman game.

I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like Life is Strange. I found the characters intensely aggravating, the rest of the game wasn't interesting enough to make up for it and the first episode seemed to go on for hours and hours and I never got to the end of it.

But everyone else loves it.

Iksenpets

Banned
I kind of wonder, in light of this, if Dontnod's announcement of their sequel was less the celebration of the original's success that they painted it as, and more a preemptive attempt to distance hemselfes from this and avoid confusion. Make sure everyone knows that they do in fact have a sequel coming, and be very clear that it is not this.

EmiPrime

This reveal is a flip flop of emotions for me. Immediately, I'm hella excited for a new LiS game as I absolutely loved the first, but I'm also worried that this will weaken the overall story and delivery of the first season.

In regards to the gameplay:

I think it's fitting that Rachel will have Max's powers. If I remember rightly, it's heavily alluded throughout the first game that there is much more to Rachel, and is very similar to Max in various ways (including height and demeanor, especially when Chloe lends Max Rachel's clothes).

Throughout LiS, every time Max saves Chloe, stuff gets more and more messed up with the timeline. The entire game by the final sequence feels like Max must let Chloe go to finally get everything back on track and stop the never ending spiral that follows keeping Chloe alive.

So to hazard a guess, I'd say we'll get some hard decisions throughout that we must choose between to keep Chloe alive, and unlike Max, Rachel will pay the ultimate sacrifice while choosing Bae and we'll find out how she ended up in the ground in LiS. The final scene could be Jefferson killing Rachel, and her powers shifting to Max via the deer apparition. It'll also be nice to see Nathan before he spirals down his path too

I just hope this is good ;__;

Really good post, I agree this has potential. The events that lead into LiS could be one possible ending leaving the rest very open ended.

Gbraga

Don't forget people were worried when another studio was going to do Arkham Origins, turns out they made the greatest Batman game.

I agree that Origins is the best Arkham game, but it's not that comparable. Things like the best bosses in the series are part of why it's so good. Life is Strange, even though it does have some compelling gameplay for its genre, is still supported entirely by its story.

I'll be more interested if it's more "some weird shit that happened to Rachel and Chloe one time" than a direct prequel that leads to Life is Strange 1.

I kinda hope Rachel doesn't haven't powers. The fact that in the end she was just a normal person with flaws who suffered a tragic end made her character that much stronger to me.

Ibuki

Banned
I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like Life is Strange. I found the characters intensely aggravating, the rest of the game wasn't interesting enough to make up for it and the first episode seemed to go on for hours and hours and I never got to the end of it.

But everyone else loves it.

Everyone else played past the first episode...

I mean if it's not for you, then you don't need to be excited about this. :p

If true, this is very much 100% absolutely what I didn't want from a follow-up project. This is even worse than having a sequel with the same characters.

Alec

Rachel is a time a lord and realizes she has to let herself get murdered in order to save Chloe?

We get a future scene where Rachel, Chloe and Max are all alive and best friends but the town gets destroyed, similar to Max's gallery scene?

Kinda hope not. Would very much be a retread.

LiK

I honestly liked not knowing much about Rachel and this is gonna spoil that. Even if I avoid playing the game, it will be canon and people will always refer to it in future discussions.

I'm cautiously excited for this. I think the story on the surface seems like a retread or something we already kind of know the beats of, but I feel like it can work if they use the vagueness in Chloe's descriptors of Rachel from LiS to make her into something we don't expect or is more interesting than what we see on the surface. Kind of juxtapose her with Max and how they each have a different kind of influence on Chloe's life.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Would love it if it's unrelated characters and maybe Chloe or Rachel have incidental cameos. Really don't want the game to milk Rachel's backstory.

Lead me to the mosh pit, shaka brah.

no_mosh_pit_for_u_shaka_brah_by_dioti-d9k5m4c.png

I'm imagining Rachel being revealed as a Laura Palmer type character. Beloved by everyone but with a proper dark secret life.

This has the potential to be a real MGS3 style prequel. A new story that completely recontextualises and expands the scope of the original.

I loved Life is Strange.

I'm really not sure about this. A prequel really just doesn't sound all that interesting from a narrative perspective

Reedirect

I'd be ok if this was a one-off, similar to how The Walking Dead had one bonus episode to connect S1 and S2. If this is a whole season, then ehhhhhhh.

Jocund

I'll play this as long as we get to be Rachael and Dontnod are working on an actual sequel that has nothing to do with Chloe/Max/Rachael

Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds:
"I'll wait for the sequel"
Loooolololol

Anteater

don't mind knowing more about the relationship between Rachel and Chloe and how Chloe developed into the character she is in LiS, hope they do it right tho

Well we know what happened to Rachael, so this has all the chance to be kinda dark. The 'Fire Walk With Me' of Life is Strange.

Eylos

Banned
I'm interested, but this game Will be Very very depressive, ugh Will have to play in a happy day with rainbows in the sky

takoyaki

What the Hella?!

So we're getting LiS2 by Dontnod, presumably with an all new cast AND a LiS prequel with some of the beloved characters from the first game? Amazing news if true!

wrowa

why DONTNOD didn't development this?

Because they are developing a sequel (presumabely with new characters).

Life is Strange was apparently so successful that SE is trying to milk it now for whatever it's worth. Doesn't need to be a bad thing though, I just hope the original writers are involved with this. I really dislike it when someone continues someone else's story.

I didn't get it. Dontnod, the official devs are makign a seqeul for Life Is Strange. Who are Deck Nine? How could they make sth tied to Life Is Strange? Is this an official prequel or spiritual or spin off prequel?
If so, all is happening at once: a sequel, a prequel and the offering of Life Is Strange on PSN Plus this month. Dunno if someone would need to wait for the prequel to release before playing the original game then.

The article says that they use another inhouse engine called StoryForge. Dunno but for me, it looks so much like the first game.

tenor.gif

More LiS is always welcomed. I wonder if they'll explain the story behind this picture:

CdR19qOWoAAEod1.jpg

It's sad in context, but always made me laugh playing the game

WonderzL

Banned
I don't like this but I'll sure give it a chance to win me over. Life is Strange is amazing, I hope they are doing this because this is somehow important, and not only because of money

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Maybe they'll find a tape recorded diary of Rachel Amber on how she implicates everyone around her for her untimely demise.

Day. Fucking. Negative one.

Season two announcement was great enough, and now we're getting TWO new Life is Strange games?! I'm in heaven.

I really hope we play as Rachel and not Chloe, that'd be sick. Probably not though.

Top Bottom