• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Destiny 2. No co-op campaign. Missions can only be re-played as a fireteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't see why some of you are so happy that an option that adds a great deal of enjoyment for others may have been taken away.
Because people are idiots and think options are bad.

This thread is already filled with corporate apologists and fanboys.

Taking out an option that was in the first game is not good ffs

ShdwDrake

Banned
This is currently speculation correct? I won't get out my pitchfork until tomorrow tho because it's Sunday I'll let them not defend themselves on a Sunday.

Sykane

I thought this was weird in the beta mission, if this is the case I'll lose my shit. Got a couple buddies I've finally convinced to jump into Destiny and now we have to go through the mission solo? Lame as hell man

Holiday

Banned
Yeah, this is why it would fucking suck. I am off next weekend, and my wife is going to be out of town. Was going to go all in on D2 with my brother. Instead, I'll be playing through the fucking campaign by myself for 10 hours to get to the actual stuff I want to do.
Yeah, I imagine a lot of people are planning to dive right into the co-op. I'm really hoping this is a misunderstanding, otherwise it feels like a pretty low swerve.

Van Bur3n

Are you fucking serious right now? I was cleaning being facetious for fuck's sake.

Nice edits. Might want to make another edit on this one as well at the time I'm replying to it.

But considering people have already made the same stupid argument about "real Destiny" players legitimately, it's no surprise people would think you're being serious. This is GAF after all, so people can be that seriously stupid (those making the terrible arguments, not those falling for them).

I imagine they don't have friends.

I also imagine they're fanboys as well. And once one becomes that, rational thought slips from the mind.

LostDonkey

I may be way off the mark so forgive me if so.

In Borderlands 2 there was many a moment where my game was joined by someone far in advance of Me, better gear, weapons etc.....and they just ran ahead.....killed everyone......leaving me to wander around behind them in an empty mission not knowing who or what had happened.

Kind of ruined a lot of the game when that happened.

Would this not stop that and give everyone an equal opportunity to experience the story first time round?

Sure you can go back afterwards and blast everything in sight but if they've spent a lot of time on the narrative this time in sure they want everyone to experience it.

ACR0019

Ok, made up my mind. I think it's true. I think this is the structure:

-you play a set of single player missions to "own" a planet.
-planet opens up and the mp activities start.
-strikes, patrols lost sectors etc.
-move on to the next planet
-repeat

It's not ideal, but something I can live with.

Since this breakdown is getting traction, I'll just say that it seems like the main difference between D1 and D2 is that hopefully all D2 campaign missions take place in areas separate from the patrol locations.

As someone who played a ton of D1, the cancer of that game's campaign (vanilla) was that there was a ton of overlap between patrol spaces and missions/strikes/etc.

Hopefully D2 missions will take place in areas separate from patrol zones, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

If true then i am out, It ruined Nioh when one of us had to do the mission first, The replay it in Co-op and then again if we wanted to do it through the yokai realm way with a companion.

Nothing more off putting then replaying the same mission over and over.

Let us do it at the same time if we want too.

BajiBoxer

Banned
You are aware that this approach should still exist even if players were given the option to play through the campaign with their friends on their first run, right?

What's the benefit of only having the option to spend the formative hours of your CO-OP shooter experience (generally the campaign) seperated from your friends in-game?

I'm thinking most of these people just don't have anyone who wants to play co-op games with them because they're so insuferable. It would explain why they don't understand how co-op works.

In Borderlands 2 there was many a moment where my game was joined by someone far in advance of Me, better gear, weapons etc.....and they just ran ahead.....killed everyone......leaving me to wander around behind them in an empty mission not knowing who or what had happened.

Would this not stop that and give everyone an equal opportunity to experience the story first time round?

Sure you can go back afterwards and blast everything in sight but if they've spent a lot of time on the narrative this time in sure they want everyone to experience it.

In BL2 you can kick people out, you can select friends only etc.

Options are key here. You didnt have to let that person do all that stuff.

carlsojo

100 percent doubt it's true.

The wording doesn't even imply it. Campaign was designed so that you can play it solo meaning that you don't have to worry about needing a group.

You can replay missions in a group.

Zero evidence to imply it forces you to play solo.

mrqs

I think there wasn't enough bad news coming from Destiny 2, right?

The game is already "Destiny 1.5", they're using ideas and content cut from D1 and now this. The most fun I've had on Destiny 1 was playing the campaign with my friends. Helping them out, get to enjoy that whole thing with them.

It really sucks. That shows how much Bungie thinks that Destiny is a competitive loot-driven game. And it is, but Destiny 1 wasn't JUST that. Loot compels you to keep playing, but it wasn't the main reason I was playing. Friends were.

UberLevi

Buddy. I get that youre okay with this, but please don't take the stance of "its how they had to do things considering the design direction of the game". There are many, many games that have solved this problem. Many. So many.

Didn't all aspects of story in Destiny 1 (cutscenes, dialogue, etc) play out like you were solo anyway? Your team mates were never in the cutscenes, so that game was doing the same thing as this. Just let me play the mission with a friend (the design is clearly there, if your letting me do it after the fact), and tell the story you want to tell. Boom.

I get that people are disappointed. I empathize with wanting to play with your pals at launch, I totally understand that. But the issue is a lot of people are coming at this from an angle that Bungie is totally moronic and making decisions that negatively impact the playerbase for no reason other than their own ineptitude. Be mad about it all you want, but the feature is there once you reach it. It's literally there and obtainable. So being outraged at it's exclusion is just as outlandish to me as me defending the design choice is to you. Ultimately, you have the very thing you're upset about missing. Just treat campaign as one big tutorial to ease you into the rest of the game features, one of which being co-op. Other games do this. They gate your access to features behind progression, that's also something many, many games do.

If playing the game on launch day is an inconvenience simply because you have to do it by yourself, how much do you actually enjoy the game? At that point it's not about the story and it's not about the gameplay for you if neither of those is enough to encourage your progression through the campaign. Join a party and talk to your friends while you all play through your own campaigns. Discuss it during your mission runs, meet up post-game and re-run your favorites in co-op. You have options that make this way less of a devastating blow to your experience than it's made out to be.

killroy87

I think everyone here is speaking on context of playing with friends, not really random people. So they shouldn't be an issue. And Destiny 1 gage you the option of playing solo too if that's what you wanted (as far as I can remember)

No one is forcing you to play Destiny with others, no one forced you to play Borderlands 2 with randoms.

This is disappointing for people that play with friends or family, that don't tend to do the annoying crap you're describing.

or maybe we just don't make a big deal out of nothing?

"Because I don't care about it or lack friends, this is nothing" sheesh, dude.

Ok, made up my mind. I think it's true. I think this is the structure:

-you play a set of single player missions to "own" a planet.
-planet opens up and the mp activities start.
-strikes, patrols lost sectors etc.
-move on to the next planet
-repeat

It's not ideal, but something I can live with.

This sounds right. It also sounds like how I remember Destiny 1 played out too.

Not saying this isn't fucking dumb (it is), but it's also not the end of Destiny as we know it.

EDIT: Not quite how I remembered it, now that I think about it as I could still help friends with missions in the campaign that became too tough for them from time to time.

Fanboyism, denial, lack of empathy for others, lack of social graces, selfishness.

Pick one, or various.

Exactly, there were plenty of Defenders of Xbox One after the disasterous announce too. And yet I and most of my friends jumped from Xbox to Sony. What sucks here is it's too late for me to cancel my PSN preorder. It seems like if you have auto download enabled, and it downloads you are screwed.

CLBridges

It is now 100% proven that Destiny fans will defend anything Bungie does.

I'm a Destiny fan and not defending this. It really doesn't make sense given the way this game is presented. Shared world shooter, clans, fireteams. Everything is marketed as a 'play with your friend's coop experience. I'm just waiting for confirmation on this info though.

Mr Moose

If this is true, I'll be cancelling my pre-order (if we find out before release...).
That might be why they only had one mission in the beta... Uhh.

BajiBoxer

Banned

If done like Destiny 1, this wouldn't be an issue. They main story missions would be walled off to people you haven't invited, because they're instanced sections. Destiny 1 already solved this problem for the most part, but just had a shitty narritive and recycled areas.

Alienous

I'd say the costs outweigh any benefit. Off of the top of my head

1) Friends will rush through the campaign to not be the one holding the others up from playing it together.

2) If friends don't all finish the game at the same time you might have to end up waiting until you can play with a friend, even after completing the campaign.

3) If the campaign is like Destiny 1 you'll have seen all of the environments and enemies seperately, in your own campaigns, meaning you don't get to have shared discoveries with friends.

I'm sure there are other implications too, but the above certainly outweigh a solo player choosing to play with a random who drastically out-levels them.

How about give people the option to play alone if they want, and give people the option to play with FRIENDS if they want. Not many people really give a fuck about Bungie's trash attempts at storytelling. This is a game about shooting shit with your boys.

killroy87

I get that people are disappointed. I empathize with wanting to play with your pals at launch, I totally understand that. But the issue is a lot of people are coming at this from an angle that Bungie is totally moronic and making decisions that negatively impact the playerbase for no reason other than their own ineptitude. Be mad about it all you want, but the feature is there once you reach it. It's literally there and obtainable. So being outraged at it's exclusion is just as outlandish to me as me defending the design choice is to you. Ultimately, you have the very thing you're upset about missing. Just treat campaign as one big tutorial to ease you into the rest of the game features, one of which being co-op. Other games do this. They gate your access to features behind progression, that's also something many, many games do.

If playing the game on launch day is an inconvenience simply because you have to do it by yourself, how much do you actually enjoy the game? At that point it's not about the story and it's not about the gameplay for you if neither of those is enough to encourage your progression through the campaign. Join a party and talk to your friends while you all play through your own campaigns. Discuss it during your mission runs, meet up post-game and re-run your favorites in co-op. You have options that make this way less of a devastating blow to your experience than it's made out to be.

I just think youre wrong about everything here lol. I'm not saying they don't have their reasons, I just think the reasons are bullshit, and easily solved. I know they are in fact, because the games industry at large has managed to not have this new a problem for years now.

I just don't agree with you. I feel like at best, this is patronising to players.

I'd say the costs outweigh any benefit. Off of the top of my head

1) Friends will rush through the campaign to not be the one holding the others up from playing together.

2) If friends don't all finish the game at the same time you might have to end up waiting until you can play with a friend, even after completing the campaign.

3) If the campaign is like Destiny 1 you'll have seen all of the environments and enemies seperately, in your own campaigns, meaning you don't get to have shared discoveries with friends.

I'm sure there are other implications too, but the above certainly outweigh a solo player choosing to play with a random who drastically out-levels them.

Pretty much. They screwed over people that actually have friends to play with. So the majority of players I assume. What a shit decision from Bungie.

"I know! We will cut off the social aspect and force them to play our game solo!!! Genius!!!"

LostDonkey

Thanks for the responses guys, suppose we wait for an official statement on this then.

Never really played D1 so don't know how it all works.

mrqs

Do we have any idea if the rumored December DLC will be paid? Destiny is the kind of game that everything should be free. I don't mind useless cosmetic micro transactions. Destiny 1 had that. I don't mind exp bonus for people who paid. Whatever.

But buying a game for 60 dollars waiting to spend another, I don't know, 20 bucks to get more content every 3 months?

This is an expensive game. I should be absolutely hyped to get on this hype train and spend that amount of money. They're giving more and more reasons for me to get out of this. Luckily, I'll be waiting for the PC version so I can wait to really make my mind out.

nOoblet16

Guess you're not a real fan. Step your game up.

I donno how to anymore

3yiFmbR.png

ShdwDrake

Banned
Also doesn't Like Smith say the only missions that are not co op are the first 2? Imma rewatch that vid because I'm 99% positive he said that.

What the fuck?

No part of Destiny should be single player only. Maybe the first mission as a tutorial, but that's it.

You want to play solo? Sure.

I do not. That's the entire reason I was even considering this game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Do we have any idea if the rumored December DLC will be paid? Destiny is the kind of game that everything should be free. I don't mind useless cosmetic micro transactions. Destiny 1 had that. I don't mind exp bonus for people who paid. Whatever.

But buying a game for 60 dollars waiting to spend another, I don't know, 20 bucks to get more content every 3 months?

This is an expensive game. I should be absolutely hyped to get on this hype train and spend that amount of money. They're giving more and more reasons for me to get out of this. Luckily, I'll be waiting for the PC version so I can wait to really make my mind out.

The game was announced with an expansion pass. Sure, there are free updates, but the mini and major expansions? You gotta pay for those. That is nothing new.

bachikarn

This is pretty dumb if true, but isn't a big deal for me personally. I disliked playing story missions for the first time with my friend as they always talked through the story moments ( "who cares about the story Lolz"). So I was planning on playing it first time through by myself anyway. Sucks for others though. Hopefully Bungie changes it back later

Whales

Banned
"Destiny is about playing with people. Now play by yourself for several hours until we allow you to play with people."

also if you do not like this decision then you clearly are not a REAL destiny player!

seriously, its like bungies loves going 1 step forward and then 2 steps back..

Con Con

During the reveal someone from ign asked if the campaign could be played through cooperatively, and the bungie rep (luke or deej?) Said "of course".

I expect the prologue to be solo, but the campaign to be fireteam friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom