• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Destiny 2. No co-op campaign. Missions can only be re-played as a fireteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What this does is put up an initial 10hr or so wall between you and your friends getting to play the game cooperatively. This just can't be. Of the four people I play regularly with, three won't buy it for this reason. One or two short missions in D1 is fine but not this. I really liked the way D1s story missions worked with various levels of diffficulty. Yes you could boost latecomers, but so what?

Woah, this would be a joy kill!

Has anyone emailed Luke Smith or anyone else from Bungie to clarify this as I mean it is a major functionality point.

Freeman76

OH MY FUCKING GOD THE WORLD IS ENDING!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

(Doesnt affect me as my friends dont play Destiny, still cant wait for Wednesday :)

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was going to play everything solo, so it doesn't affect me negatively in the slightest, but I acknowledge it's a weird and unfair decision for everyone who wanted to play with their buddies through the story. I wonder what the rationale behind it is... it's oddly limiting.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Destiny 1's co-op/story was so boring that this may be a good thing. If this is the only way to make it interesting in the sequel, well... I guess those that do buy it will only need to play through once on their own before doing it as a fireteam later. No doubt it will hurt enthusiasm for the game though when people boot up and don't realize they can't immediately do the "main game" together immediately.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

(Doesnt affect me as my friends dont play Destiny, still cant wait for Wednesday :)

Posts like this are beyond fucking stupid.

No one is telling you not to be excited still. But, there are TONS of people who want to play through the campaign co-op like they did in the first, and Bungie has never let on that they made this change. It is fucking bullshit, if true.

No one is telling you not to be excited still. But, there are TONS of people who want to play through the campaign co-op like they did in the first, and Bungie has never let on that they made this change. It is fucking bullshit, if true.

It's honestly baffling to me. They read like youtube comments.

Floody

Really stupid move, especially as they then let you replay them in a fireteam. Just seems like unnecessary padding.
But on the plus side at least I don't have to wait for my friends to pick it up to get playing now.

I would take this tbh if they bump the frame rate to 60fps but this is not the ideal world we are living in.
(Note: i have to move every 4 months thats why i donot have a gaming PC)

Agreed. Great that this doesn't impact you (not you specifically) but don't need to be a sick about it. Some people may in fact have friends they want to play the story mode with and the first one seemingly allowed that so this is rather disappointing.

I'll initially be on PC and none of.my friends have gaming PCs so I'll be alone. Hoping you can join random fireteams to do the story with.

HMD

The story missions in Destiny 1 are incredibly boring to do alone, I just hope that isn't the case in 2.

Anybody who posts that campaign coop first run is the main reason for playing Destiny are not really Destiny players anyway.

Strikes, nightfall, Raid, iron Banner, open world events,Trials is Destiny for most.

Who's mans is this? lol

You telling people that theyre not Destiny players?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

But...does that mean you should shit-post?

UberLevi

Alternatively, couldn't they just make it a requirement for co-op that all players have to have the mission unlocked individually in order to play it? That way you can't be pulled forward but can still play together.

This is likely why the full campaign is replayable with a fireteam after you've cleared it the first time. After you've beaten it once they can ensure everyone has access to what they need to have access to, so it doesn't matter anymore.

I'm gonna repost this for a new page since a lot of people seem to be missing it and I think it explains this decision:

This single player set of story missions is the key to unlocking all of the different regions in the solar system.

This is what it says in the guide, and with the narrative focus on regaining what you've lost the odds are that the campaign is structured in such a way that people playing together would be a technical issue if they had out of sync story progression. For example, if you complete Homecoming and I've already cleared the campaign and you invite me to your fireteam, I could then select for us to travel to a planet which is out of sync with your story progression. Or maybe I have access to my Super or a subclass that you still need to earn via the campaign missions. Destiny 1 works like that in the first few missions. You have to unlock the preliminary features like interplanetary travel before co-op opens up. Like I said above, that's probably why it's do-able as a fireteam AFTER you've already beaten the campaign once. Because that ensures that players have synced up progression and so they can get away with it.

I'm just saying that this explains the decision, rather than people thinking they're getting screwed just because. Whether or not you agree with progression being that deeply ingrained into the storyline is a separate discussion, but I like to think understanding why you can't have access to a feature helps you come to terms with it. You'll get co-op story missions, just clear them once so you can unlock the basic features and full scope of locales in Destiny 2 first.

That's fucking dumb.
I guess they know people will put up with it anyways and still buy it. That would justify all their other "odd" changes they've made.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
God hope this isn't true, I can understand the 1st few missions but as soon as you get to the tower equivalent I hope u can do co op

witness

If true I'm cancelling my pre-order. My best friend, who lives on the other side of the country, and I were going full coop the shit out of this after work every day. We were so damn excited. Its a great bonding game since we can rarely see each other anymore. If true for the entire campaign, this is a real kick to the gut and utter shit for them to keep secret.

alt27

I would take this tbh if they bump the frame rate to 60fps but this is not the ideal world we are living in.
(Note: i have to move every 4 months thats why i donot have a gaming PC)

Bump the frame rate to 60 at the flick off a switch eh? Lol . If you don't have a gaming pc (like me ) complaining about frame rates is stupid

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

what is this? Just because it doesn't affect you other people aren't allowed to be concerned on this matter?

I guess we found the reason why you're friends don't play Destiny...

Do you unlock co-op strikes as you progress through campaign or is it literally no PvE co-op at all until you complete the campaign?
I believe you unlock the Strikes as you progress through story. So yeah it could be very little coop until you beat the game. What if beating the game is hard for some people?

oh wow this is an awful move from Bungie. now I'm actually hoping the campaign is so short just so I can get to the coop features as soon as possible.

Bungie can be so inept. what the fuck.

This is so disappointing I'm actually thinking of trying Knack with my friends. At least that has full campaign co-op.

KNACK. Look at what you're doing to us, Bungie.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
oh wow this is an awful move from Bungie. now I'm actually hoping the campaign is so short just so I can get to the coop features as soon as possible.

Bungie can be so inept. what the fuck.

It's almost like Bungie thought to themselves, "they want a longer, deeper campaign? Once we make them play it solo, they'll be clamoring for the days of Destiny's original campaign!"

Master class trolls, them Bungie.

Bumhead

Banned
Something about this doesn't sit right with me.

As we understand this thread, this is a fundamental change to the way Destiny works. I have a really hard time believing this is sneaking out of a strategy guide leak in release week, missed or not noticed by ANY of the extensive coverage this game has received.

I mean MAYBE that's the case but it just feels like a huge leap.

If this is anything more than just not being able to play the first small handful of story with your mates I'd be stunned.

I'm kinda hoping this campaign is like less than 4 hours now lol. Nobody got time for Destiny missions by themselves.

and have to progress through the whole game to get the strikes too..omg. Hell no.

GlamFM

Banned
Something about this doesn't sit right with me.

As we understand this thread, this is a fundamental change to the way Destiny works. I have a really hard time believing this is sneaking out of a strategy guide leak in release week, missed or not noticed by ANY of the extensive coverage this game has received.

I mean MAYBE that's the case but it just feels like a huge leap.

If this is anything more than just not being able to play the first small handful of story with your mates I'd be stunned.

There is the IGN video also.

JazFiction

Neo Member
Playing coop through that fairly shity story in D1 was its saving grace. It made it a lot more bareable.

If true they seem to be losing sight of what Destiny represents. At launch it was really it's only unique feature.

Lmao based on something that at this very moment is inconclusive at best...if you already have reasons not to get this game...why are you in this thread? You clearly don't care for it?

If campaign offers full coop (or if it opens up after a very early mission) then Bungie PR should probably squash this ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom