• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Destiny 2. No co-op campaign. Missions can only be re-played as a fireteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd360

I'd rather play the story alone the first time anyways. I don't really see how this is a big deal. If you couldn't play through story with friends at all than this would be inexcusable, but you can after the first play through if this is true.

Can anyone recommend me some good coop games on PS4, that you can join with randoms online?

Dying Light for sure. can play through practically the entire game with a friend. so fun.

maybe they'll learn from the gawds at Bungie that its not such a good idea though apparently lol.

UberLevi

Relax folks, co-op will be patched in later on.

As part of a DLC, for 29.99, as a pre-order bonus

Jesus Christ, just read the full OP without the knee jerk reactions. Co-op unlocks after you complete campaign once. It's replayable in a fireteam. You just have to progress through campaign and unlock the map nodes and any other features built into those story missions before it lets you do co-op, because otherwise you would have unsynced progression and you could do things like take someone who's only completed three story missions to the final story mission if you yourself have gotten that far.

Quonny

I'd rather play the story alone the first time anyways. I don't really see how this is a big deal. If you couldn't play through story with friends at all than this would be inexcusable, but you can after the first play through if this is true.
You don't see how people, who were able to play through the first game co-op, would be upset that they can't do the same thing in this game?

People want to boot up the game with friends and play on launch day, not sit in discord chatting while playing separate missions.

Meh, I like playing thru the campaign solo. I hate it when people talk over the game especially in a cut scene. When replaying it however I'm down With co-op. With that said there should still be an option from the start for those that prefer it.

Jesus Christ, just read the full OP without the knee jerk reactions. Co-op unlocks after you complete campaign once. It's replayable in a fireteam. You just have to progress through campaign and unlock the map nodes and any other features built into those story missions before it lets you do co-op, because otherwise you would have unsynced progression and you could do things like take someone who's only completed three story missions to the final story mission if you yourself have gotten that far.

Yeah it's not like they could just lock missions that haven't been completed by the newest player or anything.

Bumhead

Banned
There is the IGN video also.

I watched that video yesterday and I still think that's inconclusive.

Again, we're hanging a fundamental change in design philosophy on what could be a badly worded or misinterpreted IGN video.

If the campaign - either complete or in bulk - HAD to be finished solo before ANY co-op, that sounds like something that IGN would very specifically mention (and would be a big enough scoop to warrant more coverage that 1 point of a pretty throwaway video about playing the game solo).

The video does stress the campaigns are designed for solo players more than they were in Destiny, and yeah I appreciate it's certainly not clear, but it also doesn't outright confirm they can't be played in 3 man fireteams.

It's something that needs clarifying for sure, but at the minute I think there's some leaps being made here.

The way that's worded makes me wonder if it's just a small handful of missions. Return to the tower. Gual kicks your ass. You try to find a way to reclaim your light. Go meet irkora. She directs you to the farm. Then you can play the rest with a fireteam or replay earlier missions.

I hope.

Deku Tree

Do you want to play the story alone on your second and third characters Todd?

Theorry

The way that's worded makes me wonder if it's just a small handful of missions. Return to the tower. Gual kicks your ass. You try to find a way to reclaim your light. Go meet irkora. She directs you to the farm. Then you can play the rest with a fireteam or replay earlier missions.

I hope.

Jup. Probably.

todd360

You don't see how people, who were able to play through the first game co-op, would be upset that they can't do the same thing in this game?

People want to boot up the game with friends and play on launch day, not sit in discord chatting while playing separate missions.

Sure, I can see why people are upset. I'm just looking at the big picture here. People who really get into this game are going to log days of play time on it. Days. How long is this single player? 5-10 hours tops probably?

Do you want to play the story alone on your second and third characters Todd?

We don't know if it will work out that way yet first off. Secondly I don't really want to play through the story on two other characters anyways. That was a huge chore in the first game. That's more of bite the bullet thing than a I can't wait to play the story again with friends two more times with new characters.

ACR0019

I hope.

Yeah, this is probably it.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm trying to search how I feel about it. I'm not opposed to going solo for the campaign, but barreling through the story with friends when the server first opens is a tradition. The idea that there will be thousands of people online but will be playing the activities independently at first is just weird to me.

UberLevi

Yeah it's not like they could just lock missions that haven't been completed by the newest player or anything.

And if the story gives players access to functions and capabilities that the newer player hasn't earned or gotten revealed yet? If I go back and do a mission with you from the start and I've already gotten all my features via campaign progression and I'm using them while you have access to significantly less functionality like your Super or your Sparrow?

Quonny

Sure, I can see why people are upset. I'm just looking at the big picture here. People who really get into this game are going to log days of play time on it. Days. How long is this single player? 5-10 hours tops probably?
I was going to rent the game to play through the campaign with my friends and then return it.

I May be a small minority, but I don't know why people are defending the lack of an option.

It makes sense, as Bungie have put a gate to progression in every "new" start of the game; forever 29, an intentional engram slow down at 280ll (iirc) in TTK then everyone farming Omnigul for hours on end to break through the 350-365 block with RoI

With engram hoarding and being able to infuse Hunter gloves in Warlock etc..maxing other characters is trivial. Six months after release they'll say sorry and turn the floodgates on, again

And if the story gives players access to functions and capabilities that the newer player hasn't earned or gotten revealed yet? If I go back and do a mission with you from the start and I've already gotten all my features via campaign progression and I'm using them while you have access to significantly less functionality like your Super or your Sparrow?

You unlock super and a sparrow very early in D1. I don't think anyone would be against excluding a small number of missions from coop at the start to unlock that stuff.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Have a notification for the player that is fully leveled that they will be scaled down and lose access to abilities not yet earned at this point in the story. Just give XP and engrams that match the player's actual level. MMOs do that all the time for experienced players to help out newer players but not make content easy.

BurningNad

So you have to go through the campaign once solo, then you can replay it with a group. Big deal? People saying this kills the game must not realize that going through the campaign for the first time in Destiny 1 was about 0.1% of your time spent playing.

alt27

I was going to rent the game to play through the campaign with my friends and then return it.

I May be a small minority, but I don't know why people are defending the lack of an option.

Renting games ? Wow . Never knew that was a thing

CrayToes

Ridiculous if true. Playing the shitty campaign will only be bearable with friends. Of course Destiny Gaf is already in full defence mode.

UberLevi

You unlock super and a sparrow very early in D1. I don't think anyone would be against excluding a small number of missions from coop at the start to unlock that stuff.

It was an example of how story tied progression can lead to asynchronous co-op. Destiny 2's narrative is focused on reclaiming the things you've lost, such as features and functionalities which you'll regain over the course of the campaign. Because of this, they make you wait until you've cleared campaign once so they can ensure people can play through the campaign on a synchronized playing field. The game still has co-op campaign, ultimately.

EL CUCO

That's actually fine with me. We're gonna play these missions a bazillion times anyways. Solo probably just fits the narrative better.

Feorax

So you have to go through the campaign once solo, then you can replay it with a group. Big deal? People saying this kills the game must not realize that going through the campaign for the first time in Destiny 1 was about 0.1% of your time spent playing.

Because it's a stupid and unecessary momentum killer. D1 spent its entire lifecycle trying to push the importance of co op play. It's sequel is almost certainly going to do the same, but decides that you can't play co op for the first 6 to 8 hours because reasons? Pointless.

Why is this news? It's exactly the same as D1.

What? You could play pretty much everything co op in D1 straight away. What are you talking about?

NAH put me in the camp of only being able to play the campaign missions solo, then they allow you to go back and replay them with friends as long as everyone has already completed the final mission. Might as well look at worst case scenario at this point. Hell even the IGN video tries to shrug it off "Sure they can be replayed by fire teams of 3, but really...Story missions were designed with solo-players in mind".

Its just weird that they go from the Halo, and D1 to this sort of implementation. I would've just blocked off missions to people who haven't completed the prior ones If you decided to buddy up for the campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom