• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: First look at Watch Dogs 2’s new protagonist

Which iconic clothing item would you most like to purchase on uPlayFashion?

Results are only viewable after voting.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm not trying to be hyperbolic here, but holy shit that is the blandest, most fucking soulless main character I think I've personally seen haha. And I LOVE CoD protags. Goddammit a while back someone posted a screenshot of a Watch Dogs character, like a tattooed chick with a badass leather jacket. If she was the main character, I'd straight up preorder this shit. Now she looked like an interesting character, that I'd love to play as.

But look at this dude haha. Screams focus group tested, bland ass bullshit. Dear God.

From a purely visual standpoint, Aiden was several times better than this character.

This looks like an NPC enemy design, or the generic online player skin, or something.

I think so too. His design was even made to accentuate "next-gen" at the time by having a long coat with soft physics. Like you said this guy looks way more generic.

I'm not trying to be hyperbolic here, but holy shit that is the blandest, most fucking soulless main character I think I've personally seen haha. And I LOVE CoD protags. Goddammit a while back someone posted a screenshot of a Watch Dogs character, like a tattooed chick with a badass leather jacket. If she was the main character, I'd straight up preorder this shit. Now she looked like an interesting character, that I'd love to play as.

But look at this dude haha. Screams focus group tested, bland ass bullshit. Dear God.

lol if she was a tattooed leather jacketed dude, would you be having the same reaction? I'd imagine everyone would call him douchey too.

Who the hell tries to go unnoticed by wearing a pale blue bandana?

Well if you played Watch Dogs, you only put on the bandanna when you're in a place where blending in doesn't work. This guy's generic look makes him fit in better in a crowd than Aiden's vigilante unabomber look.

Warablo

Aiden's design wasn't so bad, but his personality/character was. This guys design isn't great, but it isn't terrible. At least its not generic.

He looks like a random guy you walk past in any major city. Aside from what look like it could be a pair of iconic Kriss Kross pants, there's nothing offensive of remarkable about him. I'd say that about most AAA main characters set in modern times.

wipeout364

I thought Aiden's design looked pretty good. Maybe as a character he wasn't the most like able but he looked alright. This design looks like garbage hopefully he's just a gang member or a multiplayer skin ; if he's the main character then that is sad.

Trying not to be racist or anything here, but he looks possibly asian? The eyes look a little indonesian/Japanese? I mean, It'd be freaking awesome if he was. Ugh. I'll shut up and wait for the reveal.

charsace

Lol at people saying no one dresses like this. Bomber jacket, plain tee, plain hat, jeans have been the street wear 101 combo in NYC since the late 80s. The fit of certain things within this combo has changed, but the combo is timeless in urban America. This is basically the everyman style for people who grow up in urban areas.

wildfire

Banned
I already consider myself a shallow person but I never busted out laughing at the first sight of a videogame character.

Those glasses. So huge.

That wristband. So tacky.

Those jeans. So dumb but overshadowed by the other 2.

The only thing that works is the shoulderbag.

Nice to potentially have a male Asian lead protagonist even if he still is an offshoot of the nerdy Asian stereotype. Don't care because of blackout and baton whipping.

Village

I am 28. I do not know anyone who looks or dresses like this

The rest of you must live in a different world

Outsie of the weird as shit backwards pants, and having the scarf over the face, I have that outft in various colors... its just a dude in a jacket and a fitted cap. Shits kind of inoffensive besides the weird pants and the thief bandana.

DrunkDan

This is a confusing thread. Everyone wants more diversity in games and more realistic body proportions in games, yet when we get a young skinny black guy in normal clothes (bandana excluded seeing as that's 'iconic' for WD) apparently he's a hipster douche?

now that it's mentioned, his little t-rex arms are really bothering me

If you look closely the far arm appears larger.

masturbating.jpg

Paradicia

Will Ubisoft ever just quit fucking us around with rehashed open world games and gives a true next gen Splinter Cell..

charsace

If you are under 40 this look should not be puzzling to you. It has been a common look for decades, especially in the inner city.

People in this thread are pissing me off. The guy's look his a clean one that any guy can pull off and it's affordable too. Even the glasses is something that has been around since the 90's.

This is an iconic ensemble in NYC. Any man or woman no matter how much money they make, race, or appearance can pull this look off.

As a kid whose family shared a house with relatives for a while because we are immigrants who didn't come here with much, this is a look that became a staple of my wardrobe because it's clean and cheap. I still pull this out when going to a party.

I'm happy to see a game using this outfit. Took long enough.

Paradicia

On another note, either the motion actor is extremely stupid and now currently out of a job or this was done purposefully to see peoples reactions on how the new protagonist looks to gauge public opinion before E3. I'm going with the latter.

sjay1994

This is a confusing thread. Everyone wants more diversity in games and more realistic body proportions in games, yet when we get a young skinny black guy in normal clothes (bandana excluded seeing as that's 'iconic' for WD) apparently he's a hipster douche?

I honestly don't know what people want from a game set in modern times where the point seems to be be as inconspicuous. Considering surveillance and anonymity seem to be big factors with the motif the first game went for (despite literally everyone knowing who Aiden Pierce was) it explains the hat and bandanna as they are supposed to hide and obscure the face.

Like, I genuinely don't know what people want. This character design doesn't offend me, it makes sense with what we know watch dogs is. This looks like a guy I'd see downtown, which makes sense with what watch dogs is. They aren't trying to make some hyper stylized MC. Honestly, I'm just going to chalk it up to people complaining about a game they have zero interest in playing, as some people here like to attribute the quality of the first game as if it was ride to hell: retribution.

Lux R7

A female protagonist like Rose Leslie or a "old" kickass dude like Liam Neeson would have worked better imho

Anarky

Banned
You know when I was wondering about a watch dogs sequel one of my thoughts is that they should have a young skinny black guy as a protagonist. Hell he even has the glasses and the bomber jacket(albeit different color) I imagined up for my hypothetical protagonist. Now that's just weird.

Menitta

I don't think people are "offended" but it doesn't look gereat and people aren't going to give Ubi or Watch Dogs the benefit of the doubt. Aiden Pierce was a terrible character. Until we actually know his personality, this is all we have to go on.

Skeeter49

Don't want to assume too much from a first glance at the MC. I was disappointed by Aiden Pierce though, so I'm a little worried. He, or anyone for that matter, wasn't that interesting.

Top Bottom