• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: First look at Watch Dogs 2’s new protagonist

Which iconic clothing item would you most like to purchase on uPlayFashion?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The hyperbole in here is astonishing. He just looks like an average guy, what exactly do you all want?

These reactions are hilarious. Dude is nondescript as hell, which is exactly the kind of look the lead in a semi-realistic stealth-action hacking game should have. Aiden was WAY too identifiable and was the only person in the game playing up the cyberpunk creeper look, which made him stand out even more. I don't understand what people want here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don´t know. Have not played as a skinny black guy before.

I really like the design.

You can play a skinny black guy without the silly accessories and looking like a Liber8 activist.

These reactions are hilarious. Dude is nondescript as hell, which is exactly the kind of look the lead in a semi-realistic stealth-action hacking game should have. Aiden was WAY too identifiable and was the only person in the game playing up the cyberpunk creeper look, which made him stand out even more. I don't understand what people want here.

Oh yeah, blends right into the crowd.

He looks like a badass.

UrbanRats

Yeah this is a big step up from Aiden.
If they tone down the usual Ubisoft "cool snark", i may be back in.

This is a seriously damning indictment of the new guy, then, because LOOK AT THIS FUCKING GUY

• Unless you're actually in a baseball game, a baseball cap is a mistake
  • WHAT IS THAT COAT. Just leaving it hung up by a single strap? It's like the world's shittest cape. This prick thinks he's playing Tuxedo Mask in a gritty remake of Sailor Moon.
  • That jumper is just a tragedy. Looks like a cardigan from the bottom, and as we all know, only the most memorable video game characters dare to wear cardigans. A tragedy that spirals into full-on depression by the time you reach the top with its off-kilter zip, and goes full Romeo & Juliet when you notice the sleeves that end AROUND HIS FINGERS. No. Just stop.
  • Dad shoes and dad jeans. Serviceable but like... wouldn't something a bit more aerodynamic work? This fucker was not designed with his actual activities in mind. It's like they said "ok he's going to be hacking stuff, outside" and so they made sure he was wrapped up nice and warm whilst looking like he's commuting, or something? There's like several bad aesthetics going on at once with this guy. "Incognito" probably being one of them (and the one they pull off the worst).
  • Face scarves aren't cool.
  • Haircut. Get one.

My point here is that shitty character design was already lapped up once. You have only yourselves to blame, people.

looooooooooool we off to the races now!

KoopaTheCasual

It's just the angle of the screen
I feel bad for the dev/marketing team, because they have to recover off this shitty leaked photo.

Honestly the design is completely fine to me, but this screenshot is just awful, in terms of selling me on the aesthetic. I think Ubisoft should start "officially" teasing the new design before the reveal trailer, just to wash away the impression by this first leak.

DNAbro

Yeah I'm not getting it. This is probably one of the least offensive designs I've seen.

You know no one really complained about his design. If you go back through the reveal threads and others if my was never a big point of discussion. His backlash was after the fact since a lot of people just didn't like his characters personality.

It always bothered me, to be honest. Like as much as I despise the characters in that game, at least everyone else looked mostly normal. Appropriate.

Aiden? Giant clusterfuck.

Maybe the protagonist should be some crazy stalker type douche that the game pokes fun of. Like some scorned internet kid that's grown up couldn't let go of his torment from HS and wants revenge on the city. He thinks of himself as some master troll but bites off more than he can chew.

Basically playing a villain in the making.

No I'm not high.

GlamFM

Banned
You can play a skinny black guy without the silly accessories and looking like a Liber8 activist.

He looks literally like every 20 something year old guy here in Europe.

You guys are probably a bit out of touch.

Glasses and a wristband.

Whats the big deal?

Scotia

Banned
On the design itself, I don't mind it. He looks pretty cool but I'll have to see him in action to tell for sure.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't mind the look. i guess some people are just gonna hate on watch dogs no matter what. can't wait for watch dogs 2. the game wasn't perfect but i found it quite enjoyable.

ogbg

The dumb thing about the design, and it's just a dumb thing with the game in general, is that he is carrying a gun.

Doc_Drop

For the sake of it (and/or amusement), please provide examples of what would be more acceptable. Whether real world images or character design

papo

It's not Aiden though, so it's a massive improvement.

I would say we are out of the woods yet. dude looks more douche than Aiden himself just need to see how he acts/behaves.

I sometimes wonder why they can't write a good character. Are video game script writer so much worse than their counterparts in TV and Film? Between the first game and this one we've gotten the wonderful Mr. Robot, hopefully they took queues from that and made a better or more complex character.

Alienfan

Gah this thread... I get criticising his fashion (although Ubisoft games are typically pretty good when it comes to customisation) but I thought there would be more enthusiasm in the prospect of playing a character with a more realistic and relatable body type. At the moment we play pretty much the same character in every AAA game, each reinforcing hegemonic masculinity and having essentially the same physical builds - (a well toned muscular body). Not saying this game will be the one to do it (the picture could be entirely fake, or maybe he's more "buff" than he seems), but I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would love more diversity in AAA video game protagonists!

Arkeband

Banned
It was a hard choice between the backwards jeans and the wristband, but I had to go with the pointless wristband.

#KrisCross4Lyfe
#BackwardsPantsAreNotACrime

Johndoey

Banned
We should be able to wear an iconic skullcap.

Also stop buying shit bread you weirdos, I can almost guarantee there's a decent bakery in your area.

jelly

Maybe Ubisoft could get spare some employees from their many thousands and make a character creation feature.

You want your covert stealth operative to have a louder design?

If you immediately equate 'louder' with 'better' that's your fault, homey. To me this just looks like a lazy, tryhard design. We could take any of the male characters from Until Dawn (just as one example of 'average' looking young guys) and it would be more inspired and believable to me for someone trying to blend in to a populated setting.

So bald space marine for Watch Dogs 3 it is?

Get out of here...

Bald undersea miner if what I'd like! ;)

Top Bottom