• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: First Screens From Telltale's Game of Thrones

jett

D-Member
not really, their games have always run like shit but win awards and people still love them.

TWD S2 wasn't as well received as the first one though, I don't think it will be getting many/any awards. I personally hope they mix up their formula a bit with this one, else I'll be referring to them as TellStale. :p

Boem

How folks can view that image and not think it's drawn is beyond me. Look harder.

It's ingame. They've been using the same technique for every title since Walking Dead 1 (including Walking Dead 2, Wolf Among Us and Poker Night), where details in clothing/faces etc. are painted on flat surfaces instead of the actual geometry of the models. They've explained it at a couple of talks/audio commentaries. They started doing that after criticism of the models in their CSI and Jurassic Park games, where they did try to go for realistic models, but because of their (frankly dated) engine, low production costs and the need to be on every platform ever they never managed to pull that off, especially because the games are so animation heavy and they don't have the time or money to have a lot of facial animation or motion capture for every single scene. They've been going for more stylised characters ever since, which makes the limited animation a bit easier to swallow.

There was a very long and great post Jake Rodkin once wrote when Walking Dead was first starting out where he explained it all, but I can't find it right now. People have been saying that the first screens were concept art with Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us as well. They're really not though, just some clever trickery.

I just hope the animation isn't the same as it's always been. Bigger cutscenes are often fine, but those standard repeating animations have been there since the first days of Bone and Sam & Max. They're getting a bit old.

Rockondevil

Definitely looks like Telltale and I'll probably enjoy it I think. But I won't be buying it until all the Chapters are released because damn I hate waiting after you finish one.

Lethe82

Banned
I can't even tell who any of the characters in the last 5 screenshots are supposed to be.

A7bdADf.gif

PS2 would have exploded doing these graphics.

It's really weird, some of it looks quite good (like Ramsay and Cersei) but with others (Tyrion, Margaery) look like they went too far towards realism and lost the stylistic element.
Could just be the screenshots tho.

I didn't know this was coming to PS2

I don't know why this cracked me up like it did. That said, I hope they add outlines to the characters like their other games have as I think the lack of those are what's making this look good but not great. Or maybe they won't as it wouldn't fit GoT's style?

Looks much better than I was expecting.

Also, the last 4 or 5 photos look to be characters from House Forrestor, given the banners with a sigil, with a tree a sword going through it. I don't recognize that sigil, so I'm assuming that those are characters unique to the game so far.

TrutaS

I only recognize Cercei, Tyron, Margaery, and .. Jaime? I think they should have stayed away from the actor's likeness and gone for the book license. But they will be more successful this way so you can't really blame them.

Graphics look on par with anything in their engine which has proved to be enough for the type of games they do. They are not an AAA company despite the (apparent) popularity of their titles.

Excited to see the moving trailer with the show's soundtrack to back it up, which is the only plus of this being tied to the show.

El Jaffe

I only recognize Cercei, Tyron, Margaery, and .. Jaime? I think they should have stayed away from the actor's likeness and gone for the book license. But they will be more successful this way so you can't really blame them.

Graphics look on par with anything in their engine which has proved to be enough for the type of games they do. They are not an AAA company despite the (apparent) popularity of their titles.

Excited to see the moving trailer with the show's soundtrack to back it up, which is the only plus of this being tied to the show.
Don't think that's Jaime, considering he has
his right hand
and his face is too long. Think it is the same guy in the previous photo in the background. Probably a Forrester.

Wasp

I like it a lot, hope they've improved their facial animation significantly though, desperately needed.
This.

How can a company that makes games about mostly watching characters talk be so bad at facial and lip sync animation?

They really need new tech now. It looks like they're still making their games using the Sam & Max engine from 8 years ago with only minor tweaks.

Ricker

Looks good enough...what I want to know is if they are going to fix those awful stutters,they better otherwise I will be out after Episode 1.

Kinyou

I'd be disappointed if this is real, was hoping that they'd cover something that takes place before the series.

Also, if they're making them look like the actors, will we at least also get those actors to do the voices?

I'd be disappointed if this is real, was hoping that they'd cover something that takes place before the series.

Also, if they're making them look like the actors, will we at least also get those actors to do the voices?

Probably not getting the actors... too much money.

Disappointed that these are obviously based on the TV series rather than the book series. I guess it's to be expected, but still disappointing.

Way back in the day when I was working on Harry Potter games, on Gameboy Color they left us alone so we were able to base it off the books, so had more content than the movies and a good art style that didn't have to look like movie characters or interpretations. But when they started really paying attention (read, micromanaging) us on GBA, suddenly we couldn't put anything in at all if it wasn't in the movies, we had to use these ugly realistic looking characters, try to make the rest of the art style look the same (ugly), and use new ideas that were made up for the movies. I'd bet that's what's up with the art style here - Telltale does a better job when they aren't trying to make characters look like actors.

fader

it's a telltale game alright. I gotta see video before I judge, graphics like this usually don't work well without great animation.

Telltale games have always been ugly. That being said, this still looks graphically better than past Telltale games. I actually think they are using a new engine.

Top Bottom