• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is GFK? I'm kinda confused.

A market research company like The NPD Group, but like 10 times as large with offices all around the world.

They don't have access to private information only revealed to developers behind closed doors...this is a speculative survey based off of rumors that may or may not be true.

I don't know why the OP lists them as a "Nintendo client," but it's giving them false credibility.

See this:

On the cropped bit at the bottom:

"Using the criteria listed by bullet points above, please pick out the rumours you might have heard on the Internet about the NX"

JordanN

Banned
Did people really expect the next Nintendo console to be super powerful? Lol.
I haven't even seen any rumors that said as much.

At least Wii U had rumors of it matching stuff like a HD 4850 GPU from a lot of places. No rumors say NX is going to be a Nvidia Titan or any high end stuff.

900p makes sense for the handheld device; I highly doubt that the console will be straight-up locked to that resolution for gameplay.

And I'm going to take a wild guess that the sensor bar is there for the same reason as the Wii U- to maintain backwards compatibility with Wii games.

-Horizon-

Exactly, three big Nintendo first party games on the Wii U are all different resolutions and frame rates. Mario Kart 8 = 720p 60fps, Super Smash Bros = 1080p 60fps, Wind Waker HD = 1080p 30fps.

Nintendo: here's our proposal for our new console

3rd parties: 900p60fps REQUIRED? What?

Nintendo:
Y3LlJma.gif

gus-gus

Banned
Yes, their biggest concern is what gaf thinks.

Can't be the casual market they lost them with the Wii U, and why wouldn't you want to think what a group of true gamers think? There's a new president at the helm of Nintendo. Anything is possible, but I never meant for my comment to be taken seriously. It's just for thought like everything else being said in here without any facts.

why on earth can they not go for 1080p 60fps? it's Mario/Zelda not The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4. 900p is a joke. no product in 2016 should release with anything below 1080p. it should be the absolute minimum.

it's about time that Nintendo create a service similar to PSN/XBL. it seems that's what is mentioned where it says you can play online with others/earn achievements.

i'm interested to see how the console and handheld stuff works. would be pretty cool if you could use the handheld as a controller while playing on the console then when you aren't near the console the entire game is shifted to the handheld. if 900p is what they need to go with to make this happen then i suppose it wouldn't be too bad after all.

Because this isn't actually from nintendo. No way in hell all games on the platform are 900p. I'm shocked so many of you are taking this seriously.

Davey Cakes

If that 900p is true I won't touch this with a 100 foot pole.

Had enough of Ninty being 5 years behind everyone else.
If they can actually use the sacrifice of 1080p for other things then it wouldn't be too bad I guess.

The problem with XB1 and PS4 games at 900p is mismanagement of resources. If every game on NX is targeted for high performance at 900p, no matter what, it may actually be beneficial. Especially knowing Nintendo's standard of polish.

I'm willing to give Nintendo a chance to convince me, here. But, I'm as reserved as anybody. I really wanted 1080p/60fps for everything at this point in the game.

All this said, I want to hear straight from Nintendo on the matter. Hate jumping the gun.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
People should read Emily Rogers' tweet, as well as others' posts here: it's a survey from GFK about market research. GFK doesn't necessairly know more than us about NX, it's actually more plausbile they're in the same situation as us. OP should be updated with Emily's tweet and NDP_Muclair's post. Muclair is legit too.

Hyoukokun

On the subject of whether the product description in the survey is real or not - we'd often test several concepts with varied descriptions and specs; it's quite possible that the same survey could include a version of the description that talks about 1080p gaming, a version that doesn't mention a handheld component, etc. If it's a monadic concept test, a single user taking the survey might not see the other versions - they'd get one randomly selected variant to judge their reaction / likelihood to purchase.

Even if Nintendo already has a specific configuration in mind, they'd probably test several variants to understand the impact of including various terms in their marketing.

Nzyme32

Aaaaand the first negative hyperbole surrounding NX is a reality.

Things like ''900p'' will stick, even if is incorrect information unless they invalidate such rumours immediately. In the case of this rumour being correct, it merely says something over the graphical capabilities optimized for 900p resolution, I would highly doubt it cannot output 1080p. Then again, suspecting low-hardware targeting 900p, as a tech-enthusiast, it would be dissapointing.

What Nintendo needs to do is be aggressive towards these rumours, if they are not true, instead of keeping their mouth shut. That does not mean giving any significant infoon NX, but rather just dismantle this rumour by telling via an official statement it is simply not true. These negative hyperboles can really damage the momentum they have build up, until this point regarding mysterious/eagerness to see what by gamers, as is evidenced by this thread and facebook reactions.

Nintendo marketing needs to step it up.

This isn't hard -
  • GFK is a Market Research agency and Nintendo are a client to them.
  • This is just a market research survey
  • The information is purposefully a mix of non-accurate and accurate info to put out hypothetical questions so that they can understand the market and Nintendo customers
  • The results from the survey inform research conclusions GFK will provide to Nintendo, which Nintendo will use to make better business decisions.

People losing their shit over this need to do some research on what they are looking at

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Wow. Nintendo continues to distance itself from me unfortunately. Hope this works out for the company but nothing I have seen so far seem interesting at all.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
A: Why would a survey display this information?
B: A lot of games run at 900p on other modern consoles, it's likely a minimum spec for multi-platform titles. If the Wii U can handle 1080p 60fps fine, so will this.
C: This is the kind of spec that can be guessed by using the patents and general progression of console tech.

So yeah, don't freak out for no good reason... but people are doing so anyway, because fuck it, right?

I guess Nintendo probably leaked this themselves. It seems we're the ones taking the survey for them. They probably figure it would reach neogaf eventually.

Because NeoGAF is the most important key figure in all of video games. We are monitored all the time by every video game developer on the whole world. And they read all your Girl-Age posts in Off-Topic, too.

Xenoblade X is 60 FPS?

No, it's 30 fps.

Can't be the casual market they lost them with the Wii U, and why wouldn't you want to think what a group of true gamers think? There's a new president at the helm of Nintendo. Anything is possible, but I never meant for my comment to be taken seriously. It's just for thought like everything else being said in here without any facts.

Ahhh the true gamers.

what I don't get is why aim for 900p? why not just get what power you can inside that box and allow the devs to hit 1080 if they can. The only benefit I can see from designing a console around 900p is because the handheald part is the same res and so the games look the same on both devices without scaling.

why is that even a bullet point.

Everyone just needs to calm the heck down. There's no way in gods green earth than ninty would release a 900p machine In 2017. Not feasible!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

"Using the criteria listed by bullet points above, please pick out the rumours you might have heard on the Internet about the NX"

I want to know if this is really what's on the page, because in that case, we just had a thread about NOTHING.

Also, who cropped it up in such a way the part at the bottom was cut, if that was the case? That's, like, removing fundamental parts of an evidence, altering it for your own good.

Teletraan1

Banned
3 years late to the party and they come in underpowered compared to the competition. How much more would it have seriously cost in GPU to do a bare minimum 1080p/60 target compared to 900p/60? But what do you expect from the company that can't even include a power cord with their systems. Queue the 3rd party cattle call.

If this rumor is actually true then lol.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Re. The 900p/60 thing, of course, that's a game matter, not a hardware spec matter, but if this info was legit it would not be the first time Nintendo publicised a single target performance level for a platform, even if ultimately games varied. It's possible Nintendo is circulating a target performance level in terms like this again, even if they're somewhat meaningless - they did it before with GameCube at least.

There's other reasons to doubt this info though, or at least it's completeness. If the key philosophy is handheld/console sharing of software that would be more an extension of the wii u philosophy rather than the totally new experience suggested by Nintendo.

Moosehole

For real. Hilarious how many people are taking this info as fact.
Hilarious how many people are brushing this off as an impossibility. What about Nintendo's track record leads you to believe this won't be the case?

And I can't speak for everyone else, but I said I would be unhappy IF this is true. Not that it is iron-clad fact.

Everyone in this thread has to admit however that this fits Nintendo's bill. That's why people are worried (not accepting as immediate fact).

aceloop

Neo Member
this has to be fake. why would they release a new console which is crap than the current gen in power.

not even Nintendo would do such a thing.

and isnt NX suppose to be a new thing to go along side the console and handheld.

Somnid

So we're finally into rumor season. The time when people lose their minds and will believe anything. Some of this is plausible, some of it is suspect but there's no reason to trust any of it.

Oersted

Exactly, three big Nintendo first party games on the Wii U are all different resolutions and frame rates. Mario Kart 8 = 720p 60fps, Super Smash Bros = 1080p 60fps, Wind Waker HD = 1080p 30fps.

Every single game from every single developer on any plattform at any time had resolution and framerate all over the place.

That people are buying into this blows my mind. Like what the flying fuck is wrong with some.

Instro

Why would you crop out the most important part of the survey lol?

Tales from my ass part 1000.

Fdkn

Focusing on the 900p part is silly, as that depends on the game.

Smash is 1080p yeah, so were some games on PS3. That doesn't mean anything regarding the vast majority of titles.

Every single game from every single developer on any plattform at any time had resolution and framerate all over the place.

That people are buying into this blows my mind. Like what the flying fuck is wrong with some.

"I have no intention of ever buying an NX, whatever it may be, but this is a chance to spread some FUD and shit on Nintendo, so..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom