• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

People should read Emily Rogers' tweet, as well as others' posts here: it's a survey from GFK about market research. GFK doesn't necessairly know more than us about NX, it's actually more plausbile they're in the same situation as us. OP should be updated with Emily's tweet and NDP_Muclair's post. Muclair is legit too.
Give those links please.

AmyS

This rumor is such nonsense.

Besides, whether NX is 900p, 1080p, 720p or 4K doesn't tell us anything about what kind of visuals it can handle at any given resolution and framerate.

Guymelef

InfamousGratefulHowlermonkey.gif

This is terrible.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Seems plausible in that it would be almost everything I expect from their next console. Which means I will not get it. I'm not even finding 900p hard to believe (it makes sense in a way), the achievements are something Nintendo won't do.

We dont know a DAMN thing still

Anyone assuming 900p represents the max spec is ridiculous

Its either the minimum spec or the Handheld spec

Or more likely than that.... this is fake/inaccurate

The_Lump

Banned
Ok, a mod needs to change this thread title to mention that this is just a survey question. People are getting waaaay carried away.

ash_ag

900p60? That's like 633600 less pixels than 1080p... You know what that means? It means 633600 times worse. Guys, I don't think we'll ever be able to recover from this one.

Come on. Assuming this is real for the sake of the argument, there's no reason for them to lock the resolution like that. Most Wii U games are 720p, and some of them are 1080p. Presumably, this is the case here as well. Target performance would be 900p60, but nothing stops them from aiming at different numbers considering the machine can output up to 4K. More importantly, this claims to aim specifically at 60fps when at 900p. To me, that makes perfect sense when we're talking about games like Mario and Zelda. But there are plenty developers who sacrifice framerate for higher resolution. If someone wants to prioritise resolution over framerate, I don't see what would stop them from a technical point of view. You see plenty games being sub-30fps just to maintain high-resolutions nowadays.

To be frank, I find it more unlikely for most games to be as good as 900p60 than for some of them to be 1080p30.

tesla246

This isn't hard -
  • GFK is a Market Research agency and Nintendo are a client to them.
  • This is just a market research survey
  • The information is purposefully a mix of non-accurate and accurate info to put out hypothetical questions so that they can understand the market and Nintendo customers
  • The results from the survey inform research conclusions GFK will provide to Nintendo, which Nintendo will use to make better business decisions.

People losing their shit over this need to do some research on what they are looking at

Sure, but Nintendo still needs to be extremely careful with what kind of (mis)information they present. Most people do not research anything at all, and barely read the title let alone the whole article. It's the simple truth.

Damn, people are really thirsty for NX info. I mean, come on people - 900p/60fps? You actually believe this info?

You're better than this, GAF.

Fawk Nin

So we're finally into rumor season. The time when people lose their minds and will believe anything. Some of this is plausible, some of it is suspect but there's no reason to trust any of it.

Finally? Where have you been for the last 8 months :)

beril

Come on people, the 900p thing makes it very obviously fake. Not saying that every game will run at 1080p, or that some games won't run at roughly 900p. I have no idea what the hardware power is. But 900p is not a thing. It's not something you can put as a bullet point for an unreleased console. It's just an arbitrary design choice/compromise that some developers make.

I'm sure if it could do 900/60, it could do 1080/30. Hell, isn't Smash Wii U 1080/60?

Third party developers would probably go for the 1080/30, considering 60fps isn't a priority for many, making NX just like the other two consoles. Nintendo internally, favoring frame rate, would probably have most of their games in 900/60. But for anyone who has seen Mario Kart 8, for Nintendo's stylized games, this isn't really a problem.

How many Wii U games actually require the sensor bar, other than, like, Pikmin 3 having informally recommended Wiimote controls. Nintendo Land, and, uh

Crazyorloco

This isn't hard -
  • GFK is a Market Research agency and Nintendo are a client to them.
  • This is just a market research survey
  • The information is purposefully a mix of non-accurate and accurate info to put out hypothetical questions so that they can understand the market and Nintendo customers
  • The results from the survey inform research conclusions GFK will provide to Nintendo, which Nintendo will use to make better business decisions.

People losing their shit over this need to do some research on what they are looking at

Should be the first post here. Companies do this all the time. Simmer down folks. This is a leak to a survey lol Nothing is known yet.

Isn't that power adapter the same as the Wii, which sold a hundred million units? Which means... this is actually something they'd do. :|

I'm pretty sure it's not the same sort of converter inside (although it definitely has a similar/identical connector for some reason).

Regarding 3DS chargers excluding NA, they introduced the "ecological" policy with 3DS XL, with original 3DS and both DSi's having compatible ones. I don't think any of these have been particularly successful at that point (3DS got good eventually, but that was later).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Give those links please.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/689825168735088641

A market research company like The NPD Group, but like 10 times as large with offices all around the world.

They don't have access to private information only revealed to developers behind closed doors...this is a speculative survey based off of rumors that may or may not be true.

I don't know why the OP lists them as a "Nintendo client," but it's giving them false credibility.

Also, this is possibly part of the original screen, we need confirmations though

On the cropped bit at the bottom:

"Using the criteria listed by bullet points above, please pick out the rumours you might have heard on the Internet about the NX"

Every single game from every single developer on any plattform at any time had resolution and framerate all over the place.

That people are buying into this blows my mind. Like what the flying fuck is wrong with some.

It's the "what if NX is weaker than wiiu/always online/a continuation of the Wii line/*insert something bad*" thing all over again.

Some poeple just really like talking negatively about Nintendo and believe even the most out there (bad) rumors.

maxcriden

Just to clarify:

If a console is capable of 900/60, it is capable of *at least* 1080/30. If the framerate is locked sub-60, the resolution can be higher than the 60 fps resolution. That's how it's always been.

What rumors? Wouldn't that make the NX less capable than Wii U in a certain sense?

Rumors specifically that Nintendo will try to sell the NX console at least at a low price point. Which means $250 max to me. (See above.)

Even that's not particularly impressive by modern mobile standards.

The rumors were pointing to above 480 but below 720 for the handheld.

I don't think so; people are confused about the console being 900p, but considering the handheld versions of games would logically run at half the res in order to run well on the handheld.......it makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you mean 900/60 for console and 540/60 for handheld, I could see that.

KingBroly

Banned
If the handheld was a 900p screen, it'd make sense to me. I don't see Nintendo putting games on both NX Home and NX Go and putting extra effort into them.

Pinky

Banned
Hilarious how many people are brushing this off as an impossibility. What about Nintendo's track record leads you to believe this won't be the case?

And I can't speak for everyone else, but I said I would be unhappy IF this is true. Not that it is iron-clad fact.

Everyone in this thread has to admit however that this fits Nintendo's bill. That's why people are worried (not accepting as immediate fact).

The "details" in the OP are as generic and safe as possible.

"900p/60FPS gameplay graphics" ... Really?

Reads as if a 12 year old wrote this.

Rodin

Aaaaand the first negative hyperbole surrounding NX is a reality.

Things like ''900p'' will stick, even if is incorrect information unless they invalidate such rumours immediately.

What Nintendo needs to do is be aggressive towards these rumours, if they are not true, instead of keeping their mouth shut. That does not mean giving any significant infoon NX, but rather just dismantle this rumour by telling via an official statement it is simply not true. These negative hyperboles can really damage the momentum they have build up, until this point regarding mysterious/eagerness to see what by gamers, as is evidenced by this thread and facebook reactions.

Nintendo marketing needs to step it up.
Yes. This 1000x. Emily Rogers found more than 200 negative articles written by media before the Wii U release and we all know what the general perception of the system was and is even today. They did NOTHING to shut down those rumors, and they can't afford to do the same mistake this time.

This isn't even a negative rumor, like i said before, it's literally nothing. But there's plenty of people who are already thinking this is fact and the perception of it is largely negative, so they should intervene asap.

doesnt that depend on the fidelity and resources required by the software?
Of course, and there's nothing in the survey that hints to fidelity. Guess people are really scared about a number and really need their 1080p/60fps buzzword. Hats off to Sony's marketing department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom