• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

Dmented

Banned
Well another FWIW Lords of the Fallen played fine for me. Didn't notice any real issues except it crashed once.

good on rockstar, this idea that pc gaming can never stop pirates because of some unwritten universal law has to die. If it lasts a month uncracked thats intolerable for the gotta have it now, for free, kids.

if they can block unlicensed copies they might also use the same techniques to make an impact on wall hacks, aim bots, and all the shenanigans that make online play against kids become a meta game of exploit vs expoit that isnt the game you think you bought, and tends to wreck things for everyone.

hacked high scores, dup tricks, modified saves files, downloadable online assist mods - they all suck the life out of games with a significant online component.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sigh. Why not just stick with having GTA 5 and GTA Online bundled together and requiring it be registered/integrated on Steam. Eliminates the need for DRM and stops hackers hacking shit.

I'm often tempted to pirate games I already own legally just so I don't have to deal with the bullshit sometimes.

Meanwhile at CD Projekt...

prag16

Banned
Do people pirate games that require steam?

Yes. Nevertheless, I'm sure this new system will be hacked in no time regardless.

I'm often tempted to pirate games I already own legally just so I don't have to deal with the bullshit sometimes.

Would that really be pirating at that point? Disabling the DRM but keeping the game you paid for solely for your personal use doesn't sound like piracy to me.

Krakn3Dfx

Isn't this DRM part of the reason LotF is so crashy on the PC?

If it's unobtrusive and doesn't causes crashing, I'm fine with it, but if it's going to cause stability and usability issue, they can fuck right off.

The Llama

On one hand, I kinda hope this is cracked just as an F U to the people who decided to include extra DRM.

On the other, I think people are completely overreacting by saying they won't buy it without even seeing it in action, since we really don't know anything about how it'll be implemented.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Eh, nothing wrong with installing cracked exe files on games you've purchased if it helps you run them. I bought Witcher 2 from Direct2Drive which had the framerate crippling SecuROM DRM, I then happily downloaded the DRM free GoG executable so I could play the game with decent framerates.

Rockstar already made like a billion monies with GTA5 on last gen consoles. With the PS4, X1, and PC version coming, why are they so overboard with DRM on the PC version?

Squishy3

Steam and Netflix both use drm though
it's unobtrusive and they also provide a sense of extreme convenience (steam with its large sales, netflix with its selection for $8 a month)

drm on top of what is already drm is not convenience, especially if it affects performance like some people claim it does with lords of the fallen

pirates don't give a fuck about drm, the only thing drm affects is legitimate users, there's a reason why nobody uses securom or another example is ubisoft ditched their online only drm because they found out it didn't deter piracy at all

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
As long as it doesn't interfere with legitimately purchased copies of the game I see no problems at all. If it does, then yeah it's bullshit. GTAV would undoubtedly be one of the most pirated games ever otherwise.

If I'm paying for your product I'm not dealing with bullshit DRM.

Denuvo = No Sale
Somehow I think the number of people who would have pirated it but fold and end up paying for it will be higher than the people who decide to skip the game based on principle. I'm sure Rockstar believes the same.

Alasfree

Isn't this DRM part of the reason LotF is so crashy on the PC?

If it's unobtrusive and doesn't causes crashing, I'm fine with it, but if it's going to cause stability and usability issue, they can fuck right off.
The drm impacting performance in lotf is just speculation.

grkazan12

Anyone with expertise on Denuvo, does this have the potential to prevent mods from being created for GTA V?

This game deserves a modding community on PC, mods for past GTA games have been simply amazing.

The Cowboy

The whole point is that this DRM is currently unbroken. It's like saying we shouldn't use TLS or other online security because they might get hacked in the future.

For now, this isn't an unbroken DRM that has lasted ages and loads of games - its likely unbroken because its new and so far only 2 games use it. Give it time, once a big/hugely PC popular game comes along using it i wouldn't be surprised if its cracked shortly after (and GTA V is the next big/PC popular game to use it).

Squishy3

As long as it doesn't interfere with legitimately purchased copies of the game I see no problems at all. If it does, then yeah it's bullshit. GTAV would undoubtedly be one of the most pirated games ever otherwise.

Somehow I think the number of people who would have pirated it but fold and end up paying for it will be higher than the people who decide to skip the game based on principle. I'm sure Rockstar believes the same.
it depends if the news gets out that it's brought to us by the brilliant minds that brought us securom

gngf123

Denuvo was built by the remainders of the old Sony DADC team, the guys who made SecuROM.

They even advertise it on their site. "best-of-breed copy protection systems like SecuROM"

Yeah, I wouldn't trust this at all. Rumors of performance issues in other games using it is enough.

The whole point is that this DRM is currently unbroken. It's like saying we shouldn't use TLS or other online security because they might get hacked in the future.

It's only used by two games so far, I'm guessing that it will be cracked soon enough. And my main objection is that it allegedly causes problems with crashing and performance for legitimate owners of the games, DRM shouldn't hurt people who buy the product.

Ahasverus

If Rockstar thinks the goddamn /Grand Theft Auto/ is going to be the first uncracked game in history I can only say LOL

I'm sorry for the legitimate costumers.

Freeman

Banned
If this shit works for Fifa 15, how about getting Madden on PC EA?

Denuvo was built by the remainders of the old Sony DADC team, the guys who made SecuROM.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust this at all. Rumors of performance issues in other games using it is enough.

The history of Sony and piracy is so sad it's funny. They always end up shooting themselves in the foot because of it and how much they worry about it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
For now, this isn't an unbroken DRM that has lasted ages and loads of games - its likely unbroken because its new and so far only 2 games use it.

Give it time, once a big name game comes along i wouldn't be surprised if its cracked shortly after (and GTA V is the next big game to use it).

I can just hear the sounds of thousands upon thousands of crackers rushing to purchase Fifa or Lords of the Fallen just to get cracking (hah!) on the DRM in time for GTAV.

Almighty

Well I think that if this DRM is causing slowdowns and crashes like people claim then I won't be touching GTA5 on the PC for a long time if ever.

Though I see the DRM cycle is still strong. New DRM comes out, the first games that use it aren't cracked in a while if ever, people claim this new DRM is uncrackable piracy is dead, DRM gets cracked, all new games that use it are then cracked in a few days, new DRM comes out, and cycle repeats.

Evo X

Didn't this DRM have a noticeable performance overhead on Lord of the Fallen?

Fuck off Rockstar. I bought this game for 360 and was gonna double dip on PC, but not anymore. Way to fuck over your loyal customers.

Vibranium

Banned
Good lord. I was interested at double-dipping on V at launch, but now I think I'm gonna wait and see how this all shakes out. I'm totally cool with Rockstar Social Club, and I understand how piracy isn't ok for business, but there has to be a better way than this.

I have a slim hope that Rockstar reconsider before launch, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

xerzewatt

Do we have any sales data for Fifa 13, 14 and 15 on PC? After all games make most of their sales on first couple of weeks. Fifa 14 must have sold way more than 13 and 15 must be even higher than that if general publisher logic was correct (every day one torrent is a lost sale at 60$). I bet that EA (and Activision before that with 6 months uncracked AC2 before that) would have announced such a success.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So where's the proof of this affecting performance?

There isn't any. Lords of the Fallen devs introduced some patches to fix most performance bugs and also added the abiity to disable some further high-end settings that were previously hidden.

flux1

Glad I went ahead and took advantage of a price match at Target and got the game for $25 a few months back for 360.

No interest in installing this shit on my PC.

E92 M3

I find this necessary:

xzibit.png

Spacejaws

I didn't think piracy would be their first concern.

I thought it would be persuading us to buy a game that sold so well, if you gathered all the copies in the wild together and elected one as their leader they could declare themselves a small to medium sized nation.

I made myself scared.

For now, this isn't an unbroken DRM that has lasted ages and loads of games - its likely unbroken because its new and so far only 2 games use it. Give it time, once a big game comes along i wouldn't be surprised if its cracked shortly after (and GTA V is the next big game to use it).

It's certainly likely that this DRM scheme will be broken in the future the same way that it is likely that every cryptographic scheme we currently use can be broken. Heartbleed, Poodle SSL attack, Shellshock all these attacks showing that our internet security is severely flawed. But the answer is clearly not to just throw our hands up and say "Well we can't stop every hack so we should just send everything in cleartext". It's inane to suggest that it is wrong for an AAA developer to protect their day 1 sales with an unobtrusive, hard to break DRM scheme.

DRM stopping pirates from downloading the game doesn't affect pirates???

And your answer is that instead of going for an unobtrusive, unbroken DRM scheme they should instead make it always online??

WTF

DRM doesn't exist for pirates, because pirate copies inherently have no DRM.

An online only mode that requires authentication has no problems for anyone being online only DRM, because it can only be played online.
Nobody complains that WoW, or KOTOR, or LoL, or DOTA2, or Hearthstone, or TF2 have online only DRM.

Top Bottom