• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

KHtaZET.jpg

(Source: gtaforums.com)

Ugh, that's just horrible. It's not even remotely humorous.

Someone probably came up with that in two minutes.

Dmented

Banned
Focusing on the consumer's will to buy is basically what Gabe always stated, and look where he is now.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20120222/91144/Piracy_and_the_four_currencies.php
(old article, but still valid)

Piracy is always been smoke and mirrors and a huge scapegoat for companies.

I've often wondered how many shitty games when asked from share holders why the game isn't selling well the response was piracy. Easy cop out instead of saying your game is shit and possibly being fired after costing them millions of dollars.

SexyFish

Banned
Well, I guess that's a no-buy then (both DRM being the reason).

GTA V for PC gets better with every press release!

9XJFEIc.jpg

Rockstar hasn't said anything, Denuvo is denying it (supposedly, possibility that is fake), and the only "proof" we have going is that Rockstar has had their logo on a website since May. I suggest people just wait until things become more clear.

Shouldn't the thread have "rumor" at the title?

Yes, it definitely should. Would help with confusion.

Lucumo

Rockstar hasn't said anything, Denuvo is denying it (supposedly, possibility that is fake), and the only "proof" we have going is that Rockstar has had their logo on a website since May. I suggest people just wait until things become more clear.

What about Steam though? My statement still stands.

PC version also has that same DRM, though, and the dongle can be even more expensive.

Last time I checked I can use whatever hardware I want for PC video games? Consoles are the ultimate form of DRM, bound to proprietary hardware and locked in every way imaginable.

Ishida

Banned
Last time I checked I can use whatever hardware I want for PC video games? Consoles are the ultimate form of DRM, bound to proprietary hardware and locked in every way imaginable.

Oh, so you can chose whatever dongle you want? Still a dongle, by your own logic.

Gumbie

It's a good thing this is a PC thread and we're talking about DRM so we don't have to worry about console warriors.

I really wish "console warrior" was bannable. It's just as bad as "master race" When I see people using either term I automatically assume they're 12 years old.

I really wish "console warrior" was bannable. It's just as bad as "master race" When I see people using either term I automatically assume they're 12 years old.

Seeing as how some of the mods use the term, I don't see why it would be bannable.

I think what you mean to say is you just don't like the term, which is fine. It doesn't make it any less appropriate in the context it was used.

Yeah they can count me out on this if that is the case. Steam is more than enough DRM by itself, we don't need any more things that will only effect legitimate customers.

Good grief at the amount of console warfare in this thread. How about you just wait and see? I mean, really - what's the point of arguing?

Man.

Well they've very likely lost one sale from me. I already waited for the PC release so I can wait for the extra DRM free release or save my money.

Dezeer

Why would Rockstar use such an 'intrusive' DRM. Why not use Steam/Steamworks/Steam-CEG for any key distribution/DRM and then use Rockstar Social club for any periodic, like say three days, license checking for offline (single player) and active license <-> player linking for online?

Why wouldn't a company downplay the link between the DRM and an upcoming product when it's met with negativity. Also why would Rockstar disclose to Denuvo on what product(s) they are going to use it and Denuvo being allowed to disclose anything about an upcoming product that isn't theirs?

I have to be wary of if to buy this game now, even more.

Edit: And I can re-add the game to my Steam wishlist.

LCGeek

formerly sane

You will get in trouble for context you are using them when it matters. Don't worry mods will get to trash when they can.

Rockstar are stubborn but they would be stupid to not make GTA V moddable in some way.

If they were able to monetise and distribute mods in a Valve like way they could make 10 times the amount they would get from just selling the game. Skyrim has sold so many more copies because of the moddable aspect of the game and Valve makes such ridiculous amounts of money from hats; ignoring the modding community seems crazy for such a big title in this day and age.

If they don't embrace the PC then they will only make a small percentage of what they possibly could do. It would be an incredibly bad business decision and a waste of the franchises potential to just sell the game with internally made content made available through micro transactions when they can make the community do all the hard work for them.

Foffy

Banned
"You can't stop pirates" is a myth.

A myth that has consistently proven to ring true?

I think your idea of myth is more mythical than the claim you made.

GTAV is a HUGE leap from GTA IV. If you think they haven't learned from their mistakes you are fooling yourself. I guarantee it will not have the same launch issues GTA IV had.

This is the same company that just patched San Andreas on PC, once again giving it more problems. To be specific, the game just got a 400 MB patch that did the following:

- Remove a number of songs
- Remove 1920x1080 as a resolution option....again
- Crashes if you use multiple monitors
- All of your previous saves don't work anymore
- Finally got controller support! But it's basic XInput jazz, nothing major

They have proven they don't give a shit time and time again. The only time they really have cared is with Max Payne, and I assume this is because the series has sold the most on PC compared to consoles. Nearly every other Rockstar port comes to the PC with some catch right out of the gate.

Komo

Banned
This is the same company that just patched San Andreas on PC, once again giving it more problems. To be specific, the game just got a 400 MB patch that did the following:

- Remove a number of songs
- Remove 1920x1080 as a resolution option....again
- Crashes if you use multiple monitors
- All of your previous saves don't work anymore
- Finally got controller support! But it's basic XInput jazz, nothing major

They have proven they don't give a shit time and time again. The only time they really have cared is with Max Payne, and I assume this is because the series has sold the most on PC compared to consoles. Nearly every other Rockstar port comes to the PC with some catch right out of the gate.

Absolutely awful and completely anti-consumer. The worst part is that they didn't even need to do this. They could have just released the 'HD San Andreas' on Steam, and prevented users from buying the original version with its original songs still intact. Taking away content from users who've already paid for it is a terrible idea.

Currently installing the Steam release so I can play it for the minimum of five minutes before I can publish my 'glowing' review of this Steam release. :\

Foffy

Banned
Absolutely awful and completely anti-consumer. The worst part is that they didn't even need to do this. They could have just released the 'HD San Andreas' on Steam, and prevented users from buying the original version with its original songs still intact. Taking away content from users who've already paid for it is a terrible idea.

Currently installing the Steam release so I can play it for the minimum of five minutes before I can publish my 'glowing' review of this Steam release. :\

I also forgot that apparently most mods don't work again, which is a shame as there's mods planning better controller support and fixes to the core game, which are still not fixed by Rockstar.

A 2014 patch that does nothing to fix actual issues, like a wrong time cycle, wonky lighting, and even the lack of alpha-blending. But no, gotta remove songs and fuck up resolutions again.

Now I see why people say when you get the game, just use a downgrade patch and leave it at 1.0; any attempts they make to enhance or improve the game have been consistently fucked by Rockstar's lack of even giving a shit to fix their own game.

EDIT: Funny, a 182kb patch fixes almost all of the issues that patch created. See, this is why people are worried about DRM with the game; if Rockstar breaks the game - and they have a very recorded history of this - you're entirely relying on them if mods are 100% out of the question.

MUnited83

For you.
Because they fucking hate PC gamers, as it can be seen by:

-Delayed PC version of GTA V
-Purposely breaking mods for their games(happened with GTA IV/Saint Andreas)
-Shitloads of DRM (Securom+Social Club+GFWL on GTA IV. ALL OF THEM. AT THE SAME TIME)
-They added a warning on GTA IV store page basically saying that thay aren't patching GFWL out.

And now this shit. Rockstar can put the PC port back where the sun doesn't shine, because holy fuck, if you hate platform that much, you might as well stay the fuck away from it.
And guess what? More shit to add to the list. Nem patch for San Andreas:
-removes songs from the game. This affects all buyers-
-removed several resolution options including 1080p
-broke the saves

bede-x

How does Denuvo work? Exactly how intrusive is it? With Lords of the Fallen I heard the developers talking about it incurring a 1-5% performance hit on the game. What other drawbacks are there?

Ogimachi

That version has even worse DRM though, it requires a 400 dollar hardware dongle.
+$50/year, if you want multiplayer access.

How does Denuvo work? Exactly how intrusive is it? With Lords of the Fallen I heard the developers talking about it incurring a 1-5% performance hit on the game. What other drawbacks are there?
The performance hit is absurd enough already, but I heard people CTD all the time because of it as well.

Top Bottom