• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Hulk to Appear in Thor: Ragnarök

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is Thanos going to be the villain in this film? That would be so awesome if Hulk and Thor face off against him. Then they get their arses kicked, and have to rally themselves to join the Avengers and the Guardians to take him down in Infinity War.

Probably more like the two of them together stalemate against him. Then he comes back vastly more powerful in a later movie and is like "What now, bitches?".

Slayven

Probably. Or get a new actor if Hopkins wants out.

994826-d.jpg

Bentendo

(For the record, this is why The Incredible Hulk is in a weird place. It's part of the MCU, but not on Disney Movies Anywhere and is still distributed by Universal to this day. So if you buy TIH on home video, Universal gets the cash. Same situation with A New Hope and Fox, funnily enough)

When you say A New Hope are you singling that movie out for a reason or is it really just A New Hope and not each Star Wars movie?

Can we have something else happen with The Hulk besides
get him mind controlled and have him fight the good guys
? This has happened twice with both Avengers films.

Walpurgis

Banned
I think I like this new trend of multiple heroes in a single movie, it means you can have characters continue to appear regularly without having to create yet another solo movie franchise for them, and in turn making the frequency the films release in less bloated.

I agree. I loved it in The Winter Solider and am super hyped for Civil War. Having multiple characters allows for a larger variety of stories.

Marvel only knows that Hulk has to be an angry wildcard that fights people. By "has to be," I mean "doesn't know how to do anything else with him." Also, Banner must mope about his dark side personified, which is the Hulk because clever things are clever, and how it will never allow him to love anyone and is a horrible curse.

The comics don't do much else, either, and if they do, someone tell me about that storyline because god knows the Hulk is boring to me. And I know Planet Hulk exists.

Marvel only knows that Hulk has to be an angry wildcard that fights people. By "has to be," I mean "doesn't know how to do anything else with him." Also, Banner must mope about his dark side personified, which is the Hulk because clever things are clever, and how it will never allow him to love anyone and is a horrible curse.

The comics don't do much else, either, and if they do, someone tell me about that storyline because god knows the Hulk is boring to me. And I know Planet Hulk exists.

Peter David runs was a nice ten year run where he shy'd away from that normal hulk trope I'd add Greg Pak's run as well.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
last chance for Thor to not appear like a ponce, strenght-wise. hopefully it delivers

I'll also second the Peter David run, with Gary Frank penciling, godlike. Hulk looked a Dwayne Johnson before his time

Peter David runs was a nice ten year run where he shy'd away from that normal hulk trope I'd add Greg Pak's run as well.

Seconding the Peter David years. It is one of the longer runs in comics, but it was a ton of fun. Cmon, he had Cap accidentally hire a stripper for a bachelor party!

Blader

He wasn't mind controlled in the first movie, he just got mad and hulked out.

Which is like his whole thing.

You know, I think this is kind of rad. Thor and Banner is not really a team-up that's been given any depth in the films other than them punching each other a couple times in Avengers. I'd love to see how they actually interact as a duo.

When you say A New Hope are you singling that movie out for a reason or is it really just A New Hope and not each Star Wars movie?

Just A New Hope. I think as a condition of Fox distributing the movies originally they have perpetual rights to ANH while the others defaulted to LucasFilm, and thus now Disney. Fox ain't giving up those free dollars, or would charge Disney wayyyyyyyy too much for the rights back

Gerry Duggan's recent run was only like, 10 issues or something, but it's not your typical angry mindless Hulk. It's essentially the exact opposite. With a brilliant Hulk who goes around trying to de-power all of the other Hulks. I really wish we were getting more Duggan after Secret Wars instead of Pak coming back on the book because it was really going places.

Slayven

Giving it a read...

Oh do explain. I need to read this.

Remember his X-force run, and Lalya and her mutant ability to know stuff and the reveal behind that? In that book David printed a request not to talk about the spoiler. Well the board on we had a "fuck that noise" rule on spoilers. It was primary a debate board so we lived for Wednesdays to shove shit down each others throats. I spoiled it and got banned for 3 hours until a super admin reversed that.

I remember the great Rulk wars of 2008, Thor fans went insane with the news of Rulk beating him with his own hammer. The debate on what constituted "lifting" was glorious and vaguely sad.

Remember his X-force run, and Lalya and her mutant ability to know stuff and the reveal behind that? In that book David printed a request not to talk about the spoiler. Well the board on we had a "fuck that noise" rule on spoilers. It was primary a debate board so we lived for Wednesdays to shove shit down each others throats. I spoiled it and got banned for 3 hours until a super admin reversed that.

I remember the great Rulk wars of 2008, Thor fans went insane with the news of Rulk beating him with his own hammer. The debate on what constituted "lifting" was glorious and vaguely sad.

Oh boy oh boy. I didn't read David's run, but I'm far more curious now. Layla sounds a lot like Sage in that regard.

Also Rulk is dumb. I said it, and I mean it. The day Rulk appears MCU is a day where I am filled with mild irritation and displeasure.

Rulk is dumb. But the merged Hulk from David's run is the best Hulk.

And BK, if you want some Peter David Hulk awesomeness without having to dive through the years and years of books, just read this two parter:
latest

Slayven

Oh boy oh boy. I didn't read David's run, but I'm far more curious now. Layla sounds a lot like Sage in that regard.

Also Rulk is dumb. I said it, and I mean it. The day Rulk appears MCU is a day where I am filled with mild irritation and displeasure.

It's not, Layla
knows stuff because she lived through the same timeline twice and remembers iall of it. Her mutant power is to resurrect people, but they come back without a soul and are sociopaths.

Good run i suggest people read it. Darwin was aces in it

It's not, Layla
knows stuff because she lived through the same timeline twice and remembers iall of it. Her mutant power is to resurrect people, but they come back without a soul and are sociopaths.

Good run i suggest people read it. Darwin was aces in it

Shit, that's hefty

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

I was heated when he punched the watcher. Damn all that

dabig2

Angry mindless hulk hasn't been a thing outside token appearances since like the late 80s. There's no reason, other than nostalgia for the television show and the silver age in general, that the Hulk should be the silent childlike misunderstood monster.

Hell, at least they're delving into the gravage character in the cartoons the past few years.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good. Hopefully Hulk's action scenes are loud enough to wake me up.

Cosign that.

First time I read this rumor I thought it was a dumb idea because I'm not a huge fan of each character's solo films basically becoming mini-Avengers movies. But both Thor films, especially the later have been pretty yawn inducing for me, so some Hulk can't hurt.

Also introducing Banner as an outsider and audience proxy will make up for the lack of Jane Foster. I can only assume Natalie Portman has zero interest in coming back, she was zombie shuffling through Dark World. With Banner, they have a character to explain all this mumbo jumbo to so the audience understands, and he can be used in fight scenes.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Probably. Or get a new actor if Hopkins wants out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the scenes literally are just Chris H and Tom H talking, and repeatedly saying the name Odin.

THOR: Father, I have returned.
LOKI: I am Odin, the Allfather. Welcome home, Thor.
THOR: Thank you father. I have seen portents most terrifying.
LOKI: Speak clearly to King Odin, my son.
THOR: Ah, but are you truly King? Or is this deceit?
HEIMDALL: HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ODIN LIKE THAT?
SIF: HE IS THE ALLFATHER.
THOR: Is he? Use your sight Heimdall, IS THAT ODIN?
(Heimndall stares at Loki for ninety seconds. Then he shrugs.
LOKI: Enough of this. Time for an Odinsleep. I gotta go ly dwn.

If he's in, I hope he talks and doesn't just stand around grunting like in Ultron.

Was so disappointed when they didn't build on him talking in Hulk mode.

ramparter

Banned
I could see this working. Definitely has me more interested in Thor 3, given the other two outings have been mediocre.
Enough internet for you today.

Ok I'll give you that some parts of Dark World looked liked Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, wtf Marvel?? But it was great regardless.

Great news, the more guest stars the better.

Enough internet for you today.

Ok I'll give you that some parts of Dark World looked liked Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, wtf Marvel?? But it was great regardless.

Great news, the more guest stars the better.

I enjoyed both films, but I have to say that the MCU's weakest storyline has been the Asgardian/Thor stuff.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I enjoyed both films, but I have to say that the MCU's weakest storyline has been the Asgardian/Thor stuff.

THIS.

Thor on Earh in the first Thor film was genuinely rivetting to me. It's the Asgardian stuff that grates. It's the same with Doctor Who, all that Timelord stuff is just stuffy bullshit when all you want to see is an awesome character having mad adventures. Thor being boisterous and awesome and being mocked by Loki (who is boisterous and awesome) while fighting absurdly large space creatures - awesome. Thor being told 'THIS IS YOUR BIRTHRIGHT' is staggeringly dull.

Why? Because Thor being King is a shitty idea. The second he's King or dealing with possibly being King, all that awesome charm Chris Hemsworth has disappears and he gets saddled with long, ponderous scenes. It's why he's such a great Avenger, because in those films he just wants to beat the shit out of things and make charming anecdotes about Jane's fosters collection.

THIS.

Thor on Earh in the first Thor film was genuinely rivetting to me. It's the Asgardian stuff that grates. It's the same with Doctor Who, all that Timelord stuff is just stuffy bullshit when all you want to see is an awesome character having mad adventures. Thor being boisterous and awesome and being mocked by Loki (who is boisterous and awesome) while fighting absurdly large space creatures - awesome. Thor being told 'THIS IS YOUR BIRTHRIGHT' is staggeringly dull.

Why? Because Thor being King is a shitty idea. The second he's King or dealing with possibly being King, all that awesome charm Chris Hemsworth has disappears and he gets saddled with long, ponderous scenes. It's why he's such a great Avenger, because in those films he just wants to beat the shit out of things and make charming anecdotes about Jane's fosters collection.

See, I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is that the movies can't decide on a good strong plot thread per film. The main plot line (The whole political stuff in the first film and Malekith's interdimensional destruction in the second) are effectively secondary plotlines. The primary one is "What are Thor and Jane up to?" The pick the least compelling storyline they could find for a sci-fi/fantasy/superhero movie and focus on that. The villains have crappy motives, assuming that Malekith is a villain and not just a cardboard cutout stand-in. Loki's motives border on nonsensical, really.

That's how I feel, anyways. Though, I will say that I feel the first film is by far the better film between the two.

You forgot the part where Doctor Who engaging with humans is actually interesting and (most of the time) his companions aren't immensely irritating nothing characters like Darcy.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You forgot the part where Doctor Who engaging with humans is actually interesting and (most of the time) his companions aren't immensely irritating nothing characters like Darcy.

Mostly because these characters are one-offs for the most part.

But the MCU does a fucking horrendous job with continuity re: Thor. Just look at Selvig being fucked up in Thor 2, and a distinguished Professor in Avengers: AOU. Like when the fuck did that happen?

guek

Banned
See, I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is that the movies can't decide on a good strong plot thread per film. The main plot line (The whole political stuff in the first film and Malekith's interdimensional destruction in the second) are effectively secondary plotlines. The primary one is "What are Thor and Jane up to?" The pick the least compelling storyline they could find for a sci-fi/fantasy/superhero movie and focus on that. The villains have crappy motives, assuming that Malekith is a villain and not just a cardboard cutout stand-in. Loki's motives border on nonsensical, really.

That's how I feel, anyways. Though, I will say that I feel the first film is by far the better film between the two.

Thor in the first film at least had an arc. In The Dark World, stuff just kinda happens to him. The only moment of agency he had is breaking out Loki and going to Svartalfheim but he fails to destroy the Aether. Nothing really changes for Thor other than moving to Midgard at the end but the film isn't really about that choice so it falls completely flat.

If they want to focus on Thor and Jane, they need to commit to it completely and actually tell a story with those characters. I'd rather they went full hoss and embraced the Thor being a literal god angle though.

Thor as a character hasn't been interesting since the first film and he's only been charming for a few scenes in both Avengers films. They really need to sort out his character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom