• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaked art work suggest COD 2017 will be called ‘Call of Duty: WWII

If Treyarch is Black Ops & Sledgehammer historical CoD, then IW should make...

Results are only viewable after voting.

lights

You're crazy if you really think they've been developing this game for 3 years.

They probably start planning / drafting ideas for their next game even earlier than 3 years. I doubt they would wait until a game goes gold before before having ideas for their next game.

5taquitos

This was not a "response" to BF1. The shifting tides were inevitable, there's no way that Activision wasn't seeing the countless cries for a return to historical conflicts. EA saw the same thing, which is where BF1 was born. This was a long time coming, everyone was getting tired of futuristic shooters.

If they put any of that shit in the game its a no buy from me. Fuck that.

h.jpg

11930951_10153060693381497_318185106292406233_o.jpg

Here are some examples of Sledgehammer Character drops lol.

Bsigg12

They're only doing this because Battlefield went WWI. Monkey see, monkey do.

That's not how game development works.

If anything BF1 getting a good reception going back to world wars was probably super encouraging for Sledgehammer and Activision because the game has likely​ been in development since AW came out.

Daffy Duck

And knocked up a whole game in this time...

Well.....I have a theory about Infinite Warfare.

I suspect it's not like that here fully but I imagine they had an idea what Dice were working on.

Maybe it was their plan all along following the backlash to AW who knows but I suspect they were buoyed by the reception to BF1.

Well the gingerbread man exo was for Julian who made a wish via make a wish so that's cool by me.

Xyber

They're only doing this because Battlefield went WWI. Monkey see, monkey do.

Or you know, they thought about doing the same thing DICE did and wanted to go back to an older war because people were getting bored with modern/near future games.

I have not been interested in a CoD game since MW2, this is the first game I'm looking forward to seeing. The only thing I am worried about is that they will keep all the killstreak stuff and whatnot. If they make a good MP game with a solid campaign, I might buy my first CoD game in many years.

What I really want is for DICE to make a WW2 game again (especially now with the current Frostbite engine), but until then I'll just keep having fun in BF1.

Would you guys mind simple killstreaks, just like in COD4? (just 3, one being an airstrike)

Because I'll admit I like Killstreaks and I would find it less inviting to go out there and get kills in Multiplayer.

Alienous

I don't really see how a WWII Call of Duty would work.

I'm wondering if the multiplayer ends up completely seperated from the campaign, like Zombies has been for years now. Maybe it could take place in a different time period?

They aren't giving up that microtransaction money. And I don't know if they can reconcile bacon camo with the context of a WWII game - painting over depictions of actual places and WWII factions with gaudy neon greens and pinks has to be seen as disrespectful and trivializing beyond acceptable levels.

Daffy Duck

Would you guys mind simple killstreaks, just like in COD4? (just 3, one being an airstrike)

Because I'll admit I like Killstreaks and I would find it less inviting to go out there and get kills in Multiplayer.

I wouldn't mind overly, borrowing dogs from WaW/BO2 could work as a high level kill streak.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Honestly I don't like CoD4's streak system. Can't shoot down UAVs and helicopters get spammed in one after another. I prefer a wider variety of stuff that can be countered.

That's a really weird question to ask by itself.

Daffy Duck

I'm wondering if the multiplayer ends up completely seperated from the campaign, like Zombies has been for years now. Maybe it could take place in a different time period?

They aren't giving up that microtransaction money. And I don't know if they can reconcile bacon camo with the context of a WWII game - painting over depictions of actual places and WWII factions with gaudy neon greens and pinks has to be seen as disrespectful and trivializing beyond acceptable levels.

Only way I see it is going full balls deep with even more weapons locked in crates.

SebastianM

They're gonna destroy the game's aesthetics within a couple of months, aren't they.

Why do people buy that shit? Seriously I don't get it, you can't see yourself in first person, it makes you easier to spot, etc. I can't find one reason.

I won't lie, I'm pretty damn excited about this. I'd be even more excited if they turned it opinion to a living, massive online game with multiple fronts that had bearing on each other.

Even if it's World War II, the game would have to be structured like CoD4/W@W with its MP instead of MW2 and onward to attain my interest.

Syf

Banned
Well, 2 was my favorite in the series so I'll pay attention to this. Haven't bought a CoD game in quite a while.

Games can exist without 4,000 unlocks and supply crates and all that other bullshit.

When I'm playing Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm the lack of 50 weapons or dozens of attachments, upgrades and skins doesn't detract from the game.

Alienous

Games can exist without 4,000 unlocks and supply crates and all that other bullshit.

When I'm playing Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm the lack of 50 weapons or dozens of attachments, upgrades and skins doesn't detract from the game.

Games can. I don't know if Call of Duty can, at this point. I don't see how Activision could explain the decline in microtransaction revenue to their investors if they decided to reel it back. And I don't see how they can make a WWII-based Call of Duty multiplayer without reeling it back.

I'm really interested in seeing what their solution is.

SDCowboy

The same way it worked in WaW?

There are more than enough different types of camo that can be made without having to add bacon camo to this. And honestly, I wouldn't really care if there were goofy camo's in this. I don't play COD for historical accuracy. I don't want crazy character outfits, but fun camo doesn't bother me even in a WW2 setting.

Steroyd

This was not a "response" to BF1. The shifting tides were inevitable, there's no way that Activision wasn't seeing the countless cries for a return to historical conflicts. EA saw the same thing, which is where BF1 was born. This was a long time coming, everyone was getting tired of futuristic shooters.

I think this was reactionary to some degree or at the bare minimum suspicious, same thing when Advanced (?) Warfare came out the same year as Titanfall, no I don't believe that they waited for the games to come out and selling before having a set plan but at the same time, the concept of both Titanfall and Battlfield 1 have been publically availiable publically for at least 6+ months before release and the typical hype cycle of E3 adds onto Activision noticing that it can be popular.

Which is ironic because everyone used to try and follow in COD's footsteps last gen and falling flat on their face even games that weren't fucking FPS' (let it go Steroyd, let it go "woozaa").

If this new COD does indeed go back to WWII, then they may do a past, present, future COD in a 3 year cycle, at least the series will be thematically fresh every year if that's the case.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

COD4 had/s the best killstreak setup it just got ridiculous in MW2 onwards

blanchot

i just want to be standing in the french countryside, in a field with my m1 garand, and the noise of gunfire ambiance filling the background.

I didn't click with BF1, but I have hope for this.

I like the spectacle of recent titles, and enjoyed they MP. I hope they find a nice balance here. I don't quite know how they can keep some of the pace of recent games which is entertaining. Even modern warfare seemed a little slow to me when I went back.

breadtruck

After the steaming trash pile of IW and MWR, I can safely say I'm done with CoD. It was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Itll be fun to watch what comes of this news and how it looks as more info is revealed, but no money will be spent on it by me or for me.

Games can. I don't know if Call of Duty can, at this point. I don't see how Activision could explain the decline in microtransaction revenue to their investors if they decided to reel it back. And I don't see how they can make a WWII-based Call of Duty multiplayer without reeling it back.

I'm really interested in seeing what their solution is.

I can see your point but to be honest, removing all that crap is one of the things that might actually make me interested in Call of Duty again.

There has to be a large audience of people who have grown tired of the current state of the games. Sales have dropped, they have more money than some countries. Maybe they are going to test the waters and see if an old school game still sells well.

I doubt it though, I can't give Activision that much credit.

SDCowboy

After the steaming trash pile of IW and MWR, I can safely say I'm done with CoD. It was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Itll be fun to watch what comes of this news and how it looks as more info is revealed, but no money will be spent on it by me or for me.

The hell, MWR is great. Infinite Warfare is indeed trash, though, IMO.

Kalentan

I know you used the first one as a joke but it really isn't...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/25/13411898/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-gingerbread

Condrey responded and said that the gingerbread Exo Suit was a special request from a gamer dealing with a terminal illness through the Make-A-Wish foundation. The player, a boy named Julian, had requested that their holiday suit take on the form of a gingerbread man and the team Activision added his name to the suit using icing.

Edit: Oh, I see this was already covered.

Top Bottom