• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft removing Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I wrong or is this rumor just removing the KINECT MUST BE PLUGGED IN requirement and nothing else? Why are people talking about pricing and skus?

That's what I surmised too. I think people are just hopeful for a cheaper price and more competition.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Am I wrong or is this rumor just removing the KINECT MUST BE PLUGGED IN requirement and nothing else? Why are people talking about pricing and skus?

Because a lot of us are hoping it's a sign that MS has seen some sense and will release a Kinect-less SKU at or less then PS4.

Guevara

It's not a long leap from "never required" to "not included in the box" in my opinion.

How do you craft a message that Kinect is never required but you still have to pay for it? As soon as they admit the first part (Kinect never required), people will incessantly ask the second (well then why do I have to buy it?).

Syntax

Did they have a legitimate chance of "dominating the living room" to begin with? With no used/traded/loaned games allowed? With a steeper price tag than the competition with superior specs?

No. It was a fairytale dream they'd convinced themselves of.

Perhaps Microsoft's biggest weakness is that they weren't just trying to compete with Sony - they didn't care about gamers anymore, not really - they wanted to compete with Apple and Google as well for dominance in the living room.

The name Xbox One comes from their hope of it being the All In One entertainment center that they've been chasing for so long with PC Media Center.

Part of the reason they're so enamoured with Kinect is that for your everyday Joe it'd be a lot easier to accept the Xbox One as legitimate entertainment if they didn't have to hold an Xbox controller. It'd be more grown up.

But the pre-order numbers and perhaps the negative press have them reversing the worst of their policies so far.

Paches

That is how I interpreted this as well. Not sure why it would be cheaper, it is still bundled in.

Dambrosi

Banned
pretty sure this is still the most relevant response
PNtNVkM.gif
Yes indeedy. Great gif. Either way, this is still just a rumour, right? As in, not confirmed?

I, however, think I'm sitting out til late in next-gen for the Xbox One. Not sure how late but I'm definitely waiting a price drop or two, maybe til the end of the gen when I'm sure nothing will be re-implemented.
Me too. Sorry, MS, but the damage has been done - the trust is gone. Who's to say they won't attempt this shit again in a couple of years with a new XBone-S model? MS are liars and scoundrels, always have been. The only reason I still have a 360 is Bayonetta and shmups, fuck Live Gold.

PS4 for me, if only because of PS+ (and yes, I realise the irony in that statement).

People are hoping they are hoping to remove Kinect next, which would be the dumbest thing they could do.
Especially for game developers making games with Kinect in mind. I don't think enough people are focusing on what this shit in past few days means for developers. THAT is where confidence towards Microsoft is the most shaken. Who the Hell would want to develop for such a haphazard mess of a console and company?

Its funny how this instills confidence in game console buyers...a company shreds their business model and alters their software in the run up to launch and it makes people feel better about a company??

If they opt to do something I want, yes. If they implement the opposite, I go elsewhere.

Lynn616

Sounds like Kinect will be bundled in still (which is the right move IMO) but they are going to let you unplug it to stop fears of syping/privacy breaches.

If true, bravo MS, bravo.

That is the way they should do it. Most will plug the camera in anyway and the developers can count on it being there.

BigDug13

Exactly. They're only making it so the system can function with out attached. You still have to buy it because MS wants you to use it.

Scrap the whole project, put 8GB GDDR5 RAM in it, include a headset and call it an Xbox 720, and have someone with some artistic talent design the console exterior

Jagerbizzle

Neo Member

It would royally fuck devs right now if they removed it from the box. People have likely been making their games under the assumption they have, at the very least, voice commands at their disposal.

Having a "your experience will be completely gimped if you buy this model" sticker on the box probably won't fly. Now, if someone wants to opt-in and knowingly gimp their own personal experience, that's fine.

Arky Virus

Neo Member
If they drop the Kinect, and drop the price, then it will officially be the same thing as a PS4 with remedial graphic differences. I had no problem with the DRM, except for the once a day connection, but I did have one with the always plugged in Kinect. Now it just seems like it does not matter which console I buy.

It would royally fuck devs right now if they removed it from the box. People have likely been making their games under the assumption they have, at the very least, voice commands at their disposal.

Having a "your experience will be completely gimped if you buy this model" sticker on the box probably won't fly. Now, if someone wants to opt-in and knowingly gimp their own personal experience, that's fine.

If they did Kinectless SKU they would probably wait till the launch period is over.

AndyD

aka andydumi
bish do something you have to stop the madness in here!

I am sure he is watching.

But out of the whole thread I am still interested in a few things:
- will PS4 games have access to dedicated servers from Sony, or will devs have to set them up themselves.
- same with Xbox, and that one examiner/wired article loop is not much to go on.
- I also want more details on the Smartglass and PS apps and their compatibility with devices and capabilities.

Sandfox

Because a lot of us are hoping it's a sign that MS has seen some sense and will release a Kinect-less SKU at or less then PS4.

That probably won't happen because it could destroy the value of the new Kinnect in the eyes of the consumer and potentially screw over devs working on big name games with a lot of Kinnect integration.

Tratorn

That would be even more stupid.
Then they couldn't be sure that everyone would use kinect, but people still would have to buy it for 100$, just to throw it in the corner when they come home.

holysan

Embarrassing.

How do they intend to sell the Bone if there is no vision behind it? Not that I like Kinect or anything, but how can a big company like MS backpedal on almost everything they had in mind with their device?

jond76

Banned
No way they drop Kinect. Not a mandatory plug in, ok. KINECT-less sku, nope. Its a defining feature that sets it apart. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Eye Toy is already sentenced to death because its sold separately.

Sean*O

We had a few years now to see what Kinect was all about. It was complete trash.

The only genres it did anything remotely for was mini-game trash and dance party games, and those had their day in the sun already (as if we needed more shallow, emptyminded garbage in the industry). Virtually every other genre is ruined by the product, because without tactile feedback and the efficiency and reliability of a button press, the vast majority of game experiences are inferior. That's just the way it is, and that's something that can never be improved with Kinect technology given what it is. By its nature it removes tactile feedback, and thus relegates itself to the realm of paltry, forgettable gimmicks more appealing to ADHD set who constantly needs "TEH INNOVATIONS" regardless of whether those innovations are any good or not to stay interested than to hardcore gamers who actually care about things like responsive and reliable controls.

In the YEARS we've had Kinect out, there has hardly been a single new idea brought to the table, a single genre outside of those two I mentioned improved in any appreciable way.

What's left with Kinect now is a heartbeat sensor (oh boy I can't wait for what crap devs are going to do with this *roll eyes*) and the microphone, the ladder of which could have been done with a simple headset or microphone built into the console and thus removing the need for a $100 increase in price for a gaming device that is worthless for most gaming applications.

Says you, there are plenty of people who prefer not to game like a couch potato.

BigDug13

Vocal minority and so...

Cheers from the crowd for used games on Jimmy Fallon, Kinect jokes on Jon Stewart by Lewis Black, mainstream articles about kinect's potential for spying in the wake of a huge spying scandal in the US, and preorder numbers of a "vocal minority" voting with their wallets for their competition.

Yeah, vocal minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom