• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft removing Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
The purpose of always-on Kinect was to verify the ID of the content purchaser and match it to the same ID user account / system. One game bought by One User played over multiple systems. Then the confusion/barrel of snakes figuring out Family Sharing within a setup that matches content Licensee to content User. Permission. This isn't necessary without the online DRM system and standard discs.

well and for dancing and Milo and Tv.

So we are going to have two exact same consoles and the only difference between them being DDR5 and the exclusives from two different companies.

Honestly, to me, it sounds like shit.

I might also have to consider a WiiU now for a different experience.

The rumour doesn't say Kinect will be removed from the box, so everyone with an Xbox One will still have Kinect while all PS4 users won't have Sony's camera.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
If true it's obvious MS has no real plan with this system. They're backpedaling on everything. What's next, they going to rename it?

Can you smell that?

Its animal fear. Microsoft, you reek.
Its a major improvement over their last smell.

Keep it bundled. Keep it different from the PS4. Just allow the damn thing to be unplugged so as to avoid the legal hassles, challenges, accusations, creeper vibes.

Miles X

Seems like a great way to completely undercut Sony holiday 2014 should they need too.

Kinectless bundle + $150 price cut + Halo = Killer sales.

I guess getting the first 5 - 10 mill with kinects is a good way to build up the userbase for it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
McWhertor tweets:

Rep for Xbox says rumors about Kinect no longer being required for Xbox One "totally untrue."

Nice find.

NGjcmOG.jpg

jkanownik

They already said you could turn it off for everything and use a controller. Who cares if it is physically connected or not. The video showing Reggie's Animal Crossing house is bigger news than this. Why is this thread so big?

Sean*O

It's not about gaming like a couch potato. If there was a way to replicate that tactile feedback and reliability and efficiency of controls with Kinect, you would buck no argument from me.

It's a piece of shit for almost every genre under the sun, so I don't want it. If we get such technology that moves the ball forward for controls, I will want it. That's because I play games and only want the best experience I can reasonably get given my funds.

P.S. And of course "says [me]," that's why that post was under my name :p

I still have hope it will function far better than the first Kinect did, and it differentiates the system from others and the type of games that can be developed. We'll see i guess. :)

Black-Box

This kinda sucks. Seriously why doesn't everyone just buy a PC since consoles are just lagging behind and you shut down everything they try to change.

this could be awkward when it sounds like companies are going to build in features built around Kinect (like dead rising 3) under the promise from microsoft that its a guaranteed part of the system

GhaleonEB

They built a lot of hardware and software into the boxes to use Kinect. They REALLY want you to use it. Like really. Not for games, but as a control for your living room entertainment to compete with Google and Apple. Giving a lower priced option without Kinect means they're not competing at all with Google and Apple and have reduced their console to a "me too" with weaker hardware in comparison to the PS4 as almost all XBO owners become kinect-less owners.

They need Kinect packed in as it was their ENTIRE longterm strategy when entering the gaming business to begin with. This is endgame and Kinect is part of it.

Yes, that is what they say.

But a few days ago we also had the PR about how the system was designed from the ground up for cloud computing, how it was essential for developers to know every Xbox One had a steady online connection, how they could not toggle a switch to turn it off.

Then they threw the switch.

Kinect is clearly an integeral part of the Xbox One's design but the $100 gap to the PS4 might motivate them to rethink those plans. Might. If we're lucky.

Nice find.

NGjcmOG.jpg

And then there's that.

ElRenoRaven

Hmm if that's the case and you don't have to have the kinect even attached I'd actually buy one then. Course I'll call BS till this becomes very much official like I did with the DRM change.

Arnie

If they pull the requirement and offer the console without it bundled then I'll have a real decision to make on which console to choose.

In terms of exclusive titles Microsoft definitely edged it at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom