• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft removing Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely has to lead to a bundle w/o kinect right?

But seriously, what the hell is the management doing over there? Are they just throwing out ALL their plans, and fucking making it up as it goes?

If it means a cheaper Xbox, then whatever go for it

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If this is true. And they release a Kinect-less SKU at a cheaper price then PS4. It's a clear sign that they fully intend to win next gen and will do anything to get there.

A good time to be a consumer.

Come on guys, this is about as dubious a rumor as it comes. At least the Xbox 180 backtrack had Giantbomb and a fairly respected UK tech magazine reporting it.

This is on par with Pastebin.

According to every interview with Marc Whitten yesterday talked about how they still considered Kinect (and it's inclusion in every SKU so developers could count on it being there) integral to the Xbox One, I really doubt they'd turnaround the very next day and drop that requirement, especially when it remains the consoles only real point of differentiation between it and the PS4.

It's not even a rumor. It's a mistake.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and MS is going to manufacture a new Xbox one with power buttons instead of Kinect.

They backpedaled on all that crazy shit on Wednesday and you don't think they can backpedal on requiring Kinect to function the console?

This sounds like it doesn't mean they're removing Kinect requirement to function the console, not removing Kinect altogether.

Steroyd

Well the latest Digital Foundry article about PS4 titles don't exactly fill me with great hope for the future of the platform in that sense.

?

That Sony's first party titles are at 30FPS... or Driveclub being in Pre-alpha phase?

Unless there was something about third party titles that i don't know about.

Mrbob

Since I don't want Kinect, I would be open to a Kinect-less model. I don't know what the hell MS is doing though. Back peddling on everything before launch possibly. Kind of funny.

This is incredibly stupid considering how much lengths they're going through to integrate the thing into their OS.

They'd be smart to just price match the PS4.

Lets say MS is forecasting X amount sold with Kinect at $499. If they dropped the price to $399 then they would be losing 100 dollars in revenue per system. Do you really expect them to bleed like the XB1...err, XBOG days? I don't know if their share holders would accept this.

So even if they drop the price, remove kinect and drop DRM the Playstation is still more powerful and has almost no negative press surrounding it.

remember when kinect and voice chat was what made xbox different. Lets strip that away and battle just on hardware.. oh wait.

Well the latest Digital Foundry article about PS4 titles don't exactly fill me with great hope for the future of the platform in that sense.

It has better RAM, higher end GPU from the same manufacturer and same CPU

How is it even comparable to PS3 vs xbox 360?

If this is true. And they release a Kinect-less SKU at a cheaper price then PS4. It's a clear sign that they fully intend to win next gen and will do anything to get there.

A good time to be a consumer.

Except that there's no way they're launching at sub-PS4 price, Kinect or no Kinect. Not including subscription stuff, naturally.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
God dammit. Offer a Kinectless bundle for $350-$399, your next gen is saved. Why you gotta be so stupid MS? No one is paying $100 more than a PS4. Take the loss and price competitively, or remove it from the bundle and undercut them. Launching at $499 for the cheapest model that comes with an unnecessary peripheral is fucking stupid.

Gartooth

I have no clue what the hell is going on with this console anymore. If GAF can barely follow along at this point I have no idea how MS is supposed to communicate this to the mass market which must be confused as shit right now.

At this point there will be a $399 SKU without Kinect, and at that point the Xbox One is just a lesser PS4.

Majanew

Banned
This would be hilarious. MS went with a weaker system so they could force Kinect in every box and now they could possibly get rid of Kinect being mandatory? HAHA some vision you have there, Ballmer. You dumb fuck.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
I don't see them removing it it's part of their hardware, feature and one of the selling point. I also want them to keep it since it's a cool tech I want to see.

What they can do is give the option to play xbox even if it's not connected.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
They backpedaled on all that crazy shit on Wednesday and you don't think they can backpedal on requiring Kinect to function the console?

I think they can, sure.

I don't think there's a single thing that indicates that's going to happen.

And I don't think for a second this PR person didn't make a mistake.

iMax

This rumour might have some weight after the Call of Duty: Ghosts demo on Fallon this week. Fallon started barking and Rubin said something about "if we had the Kinect plugged in, the dog would be barking on screen!".

Could just be because it's running off a dev kit, but interesting timing nonetheless.

They should keep the kinect and bundle it, but provide some serious Xbox Live time in the box. Kinect is part of their identity now, and it's a selling point. Not a gaming selling point really, but a selling point nonetheless.

If I can well and truly turn the thing off I'm OK with this.

xaosslug

wow, if true. Wow. I'm thinking dumping the XBOX One name + system's design, and a rereveal are on the table, now...

Went to the MS Campus today and took a shot of the Xbox division

lol-wtf-is-dog-doing.jpg

LOL

Duffyside

Banned
If that is the case I think I'll get One.

If true, Xbone day one.

Gah. Like another Gaffer said, this is just MS spitting in someone's face, and then wiping it away. Just because they got forced to dial back their bullshit, doesn't mean we shouldn't immediately reward them.

Obviously people can do what they want and spend their money how they want, yada yada. It just bums me out it's that easy.

Mulberry

well shit, I can't leave GAF for 10 minutes without some next level shit happening. Xbone 180 is moving backwards faster than it ever moved forward.

No Kinect in the box would completely destroy a big part of what MS is trying to position this box as.

Then again, so did the DRM.

Still, MS seems to be clutching at straws at this point on this system.

they're trying so hard to make me come back from deciding on ps4. but it's just too let bee-ro's. i'm done with it. they can't even stand firm on their decisions. such a wobbly foundation.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Is this confirmed? This is what it would take to get me to buy an XBone, it was my biggest problem with the thing. Better still if they sell a sku that doesn't even include the thing. Do that and sure MS, then I'll jump in...

so.. this is NOT MS doing a sku w/o Kinect 2.0. It's just them saying that they don't need the Kinect 2.0 attached in order for the xbone to work.

if that's the case, that's a good move but i'm still waiting for that $399.

C'MON MS... DROP YO PRICE TO $399

YOU'VE SPENT AND LOST BILLIONS ON BING..... BING!! people actually use Xbox.... price it competitively

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Another step in the right direction, but they have a long ways to go before I'll support the console.

Rhindle

They should:

1. Drop the Kinect connected requirement
2. Keep the $499 SKU for NA for launch, since they'll sell out their supply regardless
3. Offer a 399 no-Kinect SKU at launch in EU, wher pricing is critical
4. Start offering a $399 SKU in NA in 2014

DiresuDR

Yeah it's just horrible.

Umm..launch games, and if you want to complain about framerate, how about you look at Dead Rising 3. Give me a break with this crap. What assurance do you have that any Xbox games will run better? Forza? Yea, it's real tough to make a car game look good.

Meier

If they honestly remove it and lower the price (there's no way they could still charge $500 without it) then I will definitely get it over the PS4 as my 1st next gen console.

If there is no kinect then their whole tv plan blowsup in smoke no one will use it haha, good for gaming bad for their whole tv thing which is what their end game was.

trmas

Banned
360 * 1.5 = 540

Think of a circle (360)... now if XB1 is the 360 1.5 then if you go around the circle halfway again you get 180!!! It isn't just math - requires some thinking as well

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Except that there's no way they're launching at sub-PS4 price, Kinect or no Kinect. Not including subscription stuff, naturally.

Yeah it would be tough but I MS must seriously be looking at least to match the price of PS4. Removing Kinect is the obvious way to go.

SRTtoZ

How was MS so out of touch with all this bullshit they've been spewing as of late? DRM, No used games, mandatory camera FUCKING CAMERA!* and a $499 price point?

They are just now backing out of every single thing and its eventually going to be $399 without Kinect. Its just so mind boggling that it took a multi billion dollar company this long to figure out its own audience.

Cynar

According to every interview with Marc Whitten yesterday talked about how they still considered Kinect (and it's inclusion in every SKU so developers could count on it being there) integral to the Xbox One, I really doubt they'd turnaround the very next day and drop that requirement, especially when it remains the consoles only real point of differentiation between it and the PS4.

True, we're not on the development teams. It's not as easy as flipping a switch. Wait a sec..

MS: "Let's do all this awful shit that no one wants and charge them more for all of it. They'll love it."

The World: "No one wants it."

MS: "Let's remove all of it."

I honestly didn't think this degree of reversal would happen, but it has.

I laughed out loud.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This would be beyond crazy. Really, all this Xbone mumbojumbo is perfect for blockbuster movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom