• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft removing Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think what consumers want from Microsoft is just a more powerful 360.

edit: If I am reading it right you just might not need to have it plugged in all the time?

I think that's exactly what consumers want. The Xbox 360 was pretty awesome aside from a few things. Make a better Xbox 360 and that will be pretty awesome, too.

nataku

MS really is just flailing around at this point.

I'm fully expecting them to announce a second SKU without kinect for $399. At this point, why the hell not? They've backtracked on everything else. They really do need new management to give the company some vision.

If this is the case...MS is being incredibly reactive. pretty hilarious. Still same price as PS4 plus considerably weaker, gives virtually no advantages to the Xbone. I can't see them doing this. Basically everything they showed at the reveal as key to the system would seem like a bit of sham...

Chris R

Hardly too late to backpedal on Kinect. I mean how many games still use Sixaxis today on the PS3? First gen games will be Kinect heavy and then they won't be unless they are Kinect required experiences.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Wow Microsoft back tracking on all these features is insane. No clear vision

They have a vision. It's just nightmarish, and thankfully unpalatable for most.

DaBuddaDa

Kinda funny if this isn't true...Microsoft can't win. Now they're going to have to go out there and say: "Sorry, yes, Kinect is mandatory and will come with every Xbox One."

Fox Mulder

Please. If they drop the kinect it means I'll buy one. I'm happy about this. But I don't see how it makes it more attractive overall if they are the same price with a shittier machine.

There's a difference between dropping the kinect from the box and Just dropping the always on forced requirement.

Kinect is part of MS strategy, is more than just a few policies that can be switched back, Probably whole OS features and games would have to be changed to allow this.

Karak

I hope they don't do this. But didn't someone in congress try to put a bill through baout the Kinect too? It just seems like such a bad time for MS especially cause the Kinect has some cool stuff but...

MaddenNFL64

You know what, I wish they would just ask us what we want. I don't want a fucking all in one tv box. We have direct TV, and smart tvs for that shit. Just make a damn videogame box, and lets go from there.

Guevara

Kinect is part of MS strategy, is more than just a few policies that can be switched back, Probably whole OS features and games would have to be changed to allow this.

nah. for 90% of games it's just some bullshit that could be patched out. If you want to talk to your tv, buy a Kinect, if you don't, just use your d-pad like aways.

I can almost hear the worried expressions your faces make.

But how does it make it better than the PS4? To me it seems like they would be about equal in that case (if there is Kinectless SKU for 399) with some benefits for both.

For the same price you would get

One:
-dedicated servers
-probably more flexible OS

PS4:
-PS+ benefits
-more indie support (unless of course MS backtracks with this one too)
-more powerful

Then there is the question of exclusives too.

ari

Banned
why would people want to pay 400 for a xbox one when you can play 400 for a ps4? If we are just taking about the box, ps4 beats xbox one at everything? Well, xbox one has the "cloud"...
Games make the consoles, if you prefer ps4 games...go for it.

trmas

Banned
This thread is funny. Almost as funny as watching MS flail around trying to compete with Apple, Google, and now Sony. Getting their butts handed to them on every front as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well the latest Digital Foundry article about PS4 titles don't exactly fill me with great hope for the future of the platform in that sense.

It's not even worth going in circles with you as that thread has already taken its course.

This actually helps Sony because Kaz and the rest of the SCE execs can now feel confident they're competing with a company that's completely clueless about what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom