• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New 3DS will double RAM and (nearly double) VRAM.

do you guys think the increased CPU and RAM of the new3DS will make them more likely to add GBA/DS VC to it?

This is what I'm hoping for. In fact, I'd like to see SNES VC as well. Cross buy with Wii U.

I think the New 3DS will be a great holdover for about a year or so until the real next handheld comes out. It wouldn't surprise me to see Nintendo's next new handheld launch in early 2016.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's a port. I would hardly call it a big game. Not to mention lots of games did have DSi exclusive features too

That still didn't answer my question. If let's say the new Super smash bros. for 3DS is only for the new Revision, would that piss you off?

Same for Majora's Mask 3D. People buy Nintendo handhelds's mostly for the first PARTY Nintendo games. If more games are made to utilize the extra ram and CPU power, where does that leave everyone who recently bought 3DS last year and this fall in the US/UK?

Kind of a Sega move if you ask me, especially if we know that it's a temporary fix until the true successor for 3DS comes out to compliment Nintendo's new home console.

really hope this doesn't segregate the market too much. If so I am out of handheld gaming. This isn't like the new systems that will change the HD space and call it a day.You know all games will wrk for the next 6 + years.

sörine

Banned
Yea but were those games as big as let's say Xenoblade? Or possibly Majora's Mask 3D?

Were they mostly Wario ware type games? Or were they full on New castelvania big releases?
Outside 4 games they were all DSiWare. So the former mostly; mobile ports, indie games, retro ports, puzzle games, that sort of thing. There's a lot of it though, more than enough for someone to have upgraded to a DSi for gaming reasons.

Does it have time to? The real successor will probably be out in another two years.
We're still getting new DSiWare games today even and 3DS is 3 years old. So yes?

That still didn't answer my question. If let's say the new Super smash bros. for 3DS is only for the new Revision, would that piss you off?

Same for Majora's Mask 3D. People buy Nintendo handhelds's mostly for the first PARTY Nintendo games. If more games are made to utilize the extra ram and CPU power, where does that leave everyone who recently bought 3DS last year and this fall in the US/UK?

Kind of a Sega move if you ask me, especially if we know that it's a temporary fix until the true successor for 3DS comes out to compliment Nintendo's new home console.

This is under the assumption that big exclusives will come out that require it, and the odds of that being true are pretty low. Not so low that I'd risk betting I'd suck a lot of dicks, but still very very low.

There will be first party releases that will take advantage of some of the features, but Nintendo doesn't want to to try and get a million sales for a game on an upgraded system that only 2 million people have versus the 45+ million audience on the older systems.

RalchAC

Think of it as the DS to DSI transition but a bad name change to differentiate the two.

I'd probably be called differently in the west. Something like 3DS Advance or whatever.

So let me get this straight, most likely the console will have.

CPU 266 MHz -----> 533 MHz
RAM 128 MB -----> 256 MB
VRAM 6 MB -----> 10 MB

Honestly, this is just telling me that if this is a mid life spec bump, that the future console will be quite impressive.

I think Something like a Nexus 5 (probably a but weaker) could work for a 2017-18 release.

The 3ds uses an ARM CPU, so if they stick to that architecture they wouldn't need an extra CPU for backwards compatibility, right?

You don't need the circle pad pro now either, 'cause jack shit uses it.

Didn't Monster Hunter used it? If I was into monhun I'd buy one just to play that game.

Vita is far, far, from being a PS3/360 equivalent.

Yeah, it's more like a Ps2.7 or so I'd say. Just like the 3ds, which is weaker than the Wii yet some Nintendo games look really good due to it being a more modern device than it.

The fact that some popular engines work really badly on the Vita makes things worse. Having a team to help developers adapting their engines to Nintendo systems would be interesting. If 3DS successor has UDK and Unity support they could get some extra devs on board.

It'd be interesting to see if this New 3DS is able to run the UbiArt Framework. It does some beautiful stuff and their games are really suited for handhelds.

Exactly how I am looking at it. This a temporary in-between type of remodel. It allows them to see a boost in sales on the hardware side, buys them time before having to release the true successor, and we get titles like Xenoblade on a portable (which is awesome). The pricing is a little high, however.

It's the same price for better hardware...

Developers will take advantage of the new features but theyre not gonna ignore a near 50 million install base. If anything id assume theyd make their games compatible with the New 3DS features like the cstick and second triggers as if it were a CCP but allow it to function without them as well.

klee123

Well screw that. Just bought a 2DS recently and now I have to buy a "souped up" 3DS just to play Xenoblade on the go?

I guess I'll stick to the Wii version then lol

dancmc

Will be tempted to get the new XL; since I never upgraded to the current XL from base 3DS. What will sell me one for sure will be new software that I really want to play which takes advantage of the increased specs (i.e., if they ever announced a new 2D metroid that had better performance on the updated machine.

Yokai

Game_Boy_Color.png

So, it's nothing new for Nintendo then? Konami should release a New 3DS version of Metal Gear Solid 3. They could probably fix all those frame rate issues by just moving it to better hardware. But I doubt we will see that many new games takes advantage of the extra horse power. Especially not with the larger userbase that the original 3DS has.

Some of you must not have been alive for the gbc. It was a full 9 years after the gb when the gbc was released and it was a much more impressive hardware upgrade. Not to mention the gameboy was a much more successful console.

Papacheeks

Banned
This is under the assumption that big exclusives will come out that require it, and the odds of that being true are pretty low. Not so low that I'd risk betting I'd suck a lot of dicks, but still very very low.
Well Xenoblade is a fairly popular Wii game.

So if they are willing to do that to a known franchise style game, what's to say they won't do that to Fire emblem, or anything else. Especially since having the extra boots tin performance help's developer's achieve it.

There will be first party releases that will take advantage of some of the features, but Nintendo doesn't want to to try and get a million sales for a game on an upgraded system that only 2 million people have versus the 45+ million audience on the older systems.

Depends if they phase out the current offering for 3DS in the states and in UK. That's still a weird position to be in.

faint.

Theoretically could these new systems prevent drops in games like XY, or is that more of an optimization problem on GameFreak's end?

Some of you must not have been alive for the gbc. It was a full 9 years after the gb when the gbc was released and it was a much more impressive hardware upgrade. Not to mention the gameboy was a much more successful console.

No it wasn't. The only impressive upgrade was the very limited color pallet.

Yokai

No it wasn't. The only impressive upgrade was the very limited color pallet.

Which was a huge deal at the time. plus, it did require more CPU. It's actually a pretty similar case, but the gameboy had a much longer and more successful lifespan which cannot be debated.

Roo

DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, New3DS, New3DSLL.

9 iterations in 10 years.

Meaning every 1.1 years Nintendo reinvents the DS. Love the upgrade but I would like a new system.
Dude please, DS and 3DS are two different systems, get real.

wrowa

So if they are willing to do that to a known franchise style game, what's to say they won't do that to Fire emblem, or anything else. Especially since having the extra boots tin performance help's developer's achieve it.

Xenoblade has its following and is critically acclaimed but it's not an actually successful game. We're talking about a title that barely cracked 500k units sold worldwide if at all.

Which was a huge deal at the time. plus, it did require more CPU. It's actually a pretty similar case, but the gameboy had a much longer and more successful lifespan which cannot be debated.

No it wasn't. The Gamegear came out 8 years earlier with only half of the possible colors on screen at a time and a lot of Gamegear games still look better. The GBC's "Color" was a joke for 1998.
Xenoblade has its following and is critically acclaimed but it's not an actually successful game. We're talking about a title that barely cracked 500k units sold worldwide if at all.

I'm 98% sure it was closer to 1 million.

DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, New3DS, New3DSLL.

9 iterations in 10 years.

Meaning every 1.1 years Nintendo reinvents the DS. Love the upgrade but I would like a new system.

Even on 'gaf people make the mistake of putting the 3DS in line with the original DS....

ohlawd

there's no way Xenoblade sold remotely close to 1 million

we live in an imperfect world; it's an impossibility.

iMerc

Dude please, DS and 3DS are two different systems, get real.

i'm sure he knows that.
it's probably an attempt to paint this new upgrade in a negative light, so he's created his own version of gaming history to fabricate a conclusion that is based on absolute factual inaccuracy… in order to prove a point that isn't actually correct to begin with.

never underestimate human density.

I think comparisons to iPad and Android devices fit more than Gameboy or DS. I look for Nintendo devices to go more into the "New 3DS" direction in the future.

I was
when the GBC was released. Aside from a colour screen, it wasn't that impressive of a hardware bump. The CPU speed was clocked from 4Mhz to 8Mhz, and the video RAM was doubled from 8KB to 16KB while system RAM was quadrupled to 32KB. This is pretty much an equivalent hardware bump from the 3DS to New 3DS.

I do realize that the GBC came out ten years after, but it was still used as a stopgap to keep the original GameBoy line relevant until the GBA was released. The GBC was released in late 98' and the GBA launched in early 2001. The DSi did pretty much the same thing with the DS.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I think comparisons to iPad and Android devices fit more than Gameboy or DS. I look for Nintendo devices to go more into the "New 3DS" direction in the future.

I disagree, this is an step up revision stop gap to boost 3DS sales until a successor is announced.

The numbers are sagging, and the console was due for a 3DS lite or a 3DSi, the latter is what we are getting.

sörine

Banned
How complex it is to make a ram expansion like the n64 and the saturn had for the "old" 3ds ?
Impossible. Although they could've done it easy if they'd kept a GBA cart slot.

DS/Lite had a RAM expansion that way, though it was only ever used for the web browser.

nordique

I love this new model. I'm diggin it. For me the biggest news is the return of the coloured buttons! That's awesome!

Don't confuse internet darling with a 'fairly popular' game.

Also don't confuse a possible new entry into a series with a 4 year old port.

Nintendo knows it's not going to make a lot of money on this port of an old game. Nintendo also knows it would be crazy to release a game that could sell 2-4 million on 3DS as a N3DS exclusive and get only a fraction of that.

I think they are phasing them out. I mean the japan pricing is the same as the ones currently available right?

Yes, the New systems are going to phase out the old versions hard and fast. The original 3DS has already more or less had it's production stopped for awhile, which is probably why they are releasing both the regular and LL/XL at once.

bobawesome

How is it more like the Vita? The Vita is a big upgrade over the PSP, and the Vita was a brand new system. The 32X wa a smaller upgrade, just like the New 3DS is, thats why the comparsion were made earlier.

It was just an excuse to drag the Vita through the mud, nothing more.

Lebon14

I'm worried though. I'm worried that game will done exclusively for that model and those with the OG and OG XL will have to suffer. I don't have 200$ to put on an handheld that I already have.

ohlawd

I'm worried though. I'm worried that game will done exclusively for that model and those with the OG and OG XL will have to suffer. I don't have 200$ to put on an handheld that I already have.

you don't have to worry now

Xenoblade port is confirmed to be exclusive for the new 3DS.

Top Bottom