• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] New PS4 UI leaked

Don't worry guys, we still have 3D Bluray support (which is now late) and the E3 announced YouTube app. If you have to announce an app at E3 it must be epic!

Not that it matters, but I've been watching Youtube on PS4 for months via youtube.com/tv in combination with my phone and it works well. Sony is definitely lagging behind with software apps in comparison to the options with my Xbone. Of the 3 consoles I like the PS4's the least. It may be a mess, but at least it's a snappy one.

Not that it matters, but I've been watching Youtube on PS4 for months via youtube.com/tv in combination with my phone and it works well. Sony is definitely lagging behind with software apps in comparison to the options with my Xbone. Of the 3 consoles I like the PS4's the least. It may be a mess, but at least it's a snappy one.

Every time I watch more than 5 or so videos on YouTube then hit the ps4 button to go back to the main menu, it lags like crazy. We need an option to close the web browser like an app to free memory.

Bradf50

Doing a mock-up for a UI is one thing. Designing a functional UI is another.

It's hilarious some people are lashing out at Sony because of that mock-up.

+1

Exactly... I don't even know programming but I imagine it's damn difficult. Photoshop mockups are just that and nothing more. Just a visual representation of the final product. Maybe they need to hire some more capable UI designers but don't lash out on them because it's found to be a fake. Would have been cool if real but maybe they can take some inspiration from this.

Yes, the lack of updates this year from them and the lack of communication pisses us all off, including me. In which they really need to improve on. I can use the UI's on both current gen machines pretty well now and they are both functional but I hate a lot about them more than the positives. None of them are great at the moment (I'm not trying to bring an argument out of this statement, I'm just stating my opinion on the current interfaces). As I said I imagine it's difficult to get a new UI out, functioning without bugs and whatnot. Let's hope we can get an update on the OS at Gamescom next week.

Panthers

I know it says verified, but Iworkforsony says some things that I woudnt expect a Sony rep to say.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...o_that_dlnamp3_support_that/cjbitxx?context=3

I never use reddit (I will probably start), so I am ignorant about the official comments made on that site, but that conversation seems strange for a company to admit, even if it is obvious.

Anyways, I hope we get a new UI update soon. I love the PS3 UI and hope for something like that, which is cleaner and easier to navigate.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
This type of enabling attitude is the problem. When they're the #1 selling console and have apologists on every corner, why would they change a thing? I don't care how much you like a brand, it is perfectly ok to express dissatisfaction if they're dropping the ball like they have been. I went into this generation expecting to play primarily on the PS4, but so far Sony has lost me as a primary customer. Their lack of updates and, most importantly, communication about them has turned me off as the big Sony fan I was last generation. And no, I don't consider answered tweets by Shu saying "soon" as communication. They should be working to improve and evolve the OS and QoL functionality on a continuous basis.

Implied-Facepalm.jpg

So even if I'm satisfied with my experience and don't want exactly the same things that you do, I'm an apologist? Try to imagine me doing a double facepalm, because that's what I'm doing now.

Look, I'm not against adding new features, but I'm not exactly particularly bothered about it either. It's called having personal preferences. Personally, I'd prefer them to keep the OS as streamlined as possible in order to free up as much resources for games as they possibly can.

GoaThief

PS4 OS is fine for me, could do with a couple of tweaks and basic features but overall I'm pretty happy.

XB1 is pretty bad by comparison, it's difficult to even send a quick message when playing Forza for example as it's so unresponsive and glitches out inserting characters in the wrong order, etc. I haven't found a way to browse the entire online catalogue either, just a search or "top" lists. Wii U is functional but slow. Doesn't offer all the bells and whistles of either but the store is OK.

I'd like some customisation in the PS4 OS, colours like the XB1 would be appreciated but I'll take function over form.

Doing a mock-up for a UI is one thing. Designing a functional UI is another.

It's hilarious some people are lashing out at Sony because of that mock-up.

we're not lashing out at Sony because if this one example. I have seen numerous requests for improved Trophy notifications and invites for months. it does remind us that innovative UI changes haven't been made in the 8 months since this console was launched.

Valor

Hopefully some of the things are true about this UI change because the current one is pretty much trash tier, and their trophy system is still pretty much way behind M$'s achievement system in terms of ease to view and stuff like that. Still feels like an after thought, which is unfortunate.

Other than that, I don't see a whole lot different.

Auctopus

I'm pretty much on the side of this being fake but what if these are mock-ups for the real thing that has now been in development? Hence the little weird touches like the 'RP' etc. ?

At the end of the day, it's a gaming machine. It does what it says on the tin. Perhaps I do have low expectations, or perhaps I would just rather spend more time gaming than fannying about in menus.

It's not just a gaming machine. It plays movies, music...well Music Unlimited, and has media apps. This isn't a PS1 or Nintendo Gamecube. People expect more because UI and technology has progressed. Let's forget about the missing features that PS3 had and just talk about the UI. Do you really not think it could benefit from being more organized and efficient? It's worse than PS3 and Vita. Vita has all those bubbles but at least you can organize things the way you want. PS3 was clearly organized by Music, Video, and Games. We aren't asking for that much.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So what's the general verdict on the credibility of this whole leak? Gamescom 2013 was the first time we saw a proper sneak peak of the PS4 UI. I think this year we might see something similar? not too crazy to expect that right?

It would be awesome if those snap trophy and invite thing was a real deal, come on Sony.

I doubt sony will come up with something as good as this (having it not chuck you out of game is great)
but i'm sure sony is working on something similar.

FHIZ

Damnit.

Just give me some god damn folders. Every week that horizontal bar gets longer and longer, I can't believe someone real early in the development phase didn't go "Hmm... that's not going to be good"

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
It's not just a gaming machine. It plays movies, music...well Music Unlimited, and has media apps. This isn't a PS1 or Nintendo Gamecube. People expect more because UI and technology has progressed. Let's forget about the missing features that PS3 had and just talk about the UI. Do you really not think it could benefit from being more organized and efficient? It's worse than PS3 and Vita. Vita has all those bubbles but at least you can organize things the way you want. PS3 was clearly organized by Music, Video, and Games. We aren't asking for that much.

And you're entitled to want other things, but personally, I have dedicated systems to do music/streaming etc and they do it well. Like I said in response to another post, I'd rather they kept the OS streamlined to dedicate as much resources to games as possible. We all want different things, and the PS4 does what I want it to do well. So... Agree to disagree?

Bradf50

Nice if genuine, hope for some themes/wallpapers too

Yeah I would love that feature. I was playing around this afternoon with custom backgrounds on the current UI. I reconstructed the UI in photoshop and started changing the backgrounds. It's amazing how much it transforms it. And seeing as we seem to be posting mockups. Here are a few examples.

14876785472_a76e512dd8_b.jpg

14874671654_8283517710_b.jpg

14877109695_f64debbab0_b.jpg

14690505828_145bd3fcfe_b.jpg

arhra

And you're entitled to want other things, but personally, I have dedicated systems to do music/streaming etc and they do it well. Like I said in response to another post, I'd rather they kept the OS streamlined to dedicate as much resources to games as possible. We all want different things, and the PS4 does what I want it to do well. So... Agree to disagree?

Even if you use it purely for games, there's things that could be significantly improved. Once you have more than a few games, the horizontal bar is an awful interface, and the library becomes a cluttered mess, and that's only going to get worse as time goes on and you have more games in your library and installed on the system.

And if you only use the system for games, the video app folder and mandatory Music Unlimited, etc tiles are a nuisance that just get in the way and add more clutter.

nikos

The YouTube announcement was for uploading videos directly to YouTube, for what it's worth.

I know it says verified, but Iworkforsony says some things that I woudnt expect a Sony rep to say.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...o_that_dlnamp3_support_that/cjbitxx?context=3

I never use reddit (I will probably start), so I am ignorant about the official comments made on that site, but that conversation seems strange for a company to admit, even if it is obvious.

From what I can tell, he's not a Sony "rep," he's someone working for Sony who anonymously comments about/leaks things. I have to imagine he's breaking all kinds of NDA and would be fired if his identity were discovered.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Even if you use it purely for games, there's things that could be significantly improved. Once you have more than a few games, the horizontal bar is an awful interface, and the library becomes a cluttered mess, and that's only going to get worse as time goes on and you have more games in your library and installed on the system.

I have a ton of games on my ps4. It lists the games in order of most recently played. Whenever I want to revisit a game I haven't played in a long time, I hold right for a few seconds. It's really no big deal. Like I said, I'm not going to complain if they add more features, but I'm not really bothered about their absence. Like I said, people want different things.

And if you only use the system for games, the video app folder and mandatory Music Unlimited, etc tiles are a nuisance that just get in the way and add more clutter.

Pretty sure they're all the way over to the right. Do people really get annoyed about two icons?

Yeah I would love that feature. I was playing around this afternoon with custom backgrounds on the current UI. I reconstructed the UI in photoshop and started changing the backgrounds. It's amazing how much it transforms it. And seeing as we seem to be posting mockups. Here are a few examples.

14876785472_a76e512dd8_b.jpg

14874671654_8283517710_b.jpg

14877109695_f64debbab0_b.jpg

14690505828_145bd3fcfe_b.jpg

Very nice !

Majanew

Banned

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3860/14876785472_a76e512dd8_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3850/14874671654_8283517710_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3910/14877109695_f64debbab0_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5592/14690505828_145bd3fcfe_b.jpg

Amazing that both MS and Sony dropped the ball on this with the new systems. WE WANT TO USE CUSTOM BACKGROUNDS!

it's sad that a fake mock-up, probably done on a weekend, out classes the efforts of a multibillion dollar company like Sony.

That's not surprising. There are many examples out there where a mock-up UI, or a user-made custom skin, outclasses (and sometimes outright destroys) the efforts of a large deep-pocketed company.

That said, designing a good UI is not easy. It has to look aesthetically pleasing, not look too "behind the times", have good features, perform fast, have decent organizational options, be simple and intuitive enough for a casual user to grasp easily, while at the same time make more advanced "power" users happy, and be able to scale well to efficiently manage and display a lot of content.

kaiyo

I would imagine it would work in similar ways to the current PS4/Store UI. It would remember your position in each row, similarly to the when you move between the PDM app bar and system bar and circle would return you to the root of whatever bar you're currently in, just like the store.

There would be a problem going down a row when you have a game/app highlighted where it has a sub menu (overview, recent activities, related items)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You know that TV/video icon they have? And then you go down into it to see a list of all the Tv apps? Just do that for games. Let you sort it in different ways (default being 'most recent') and you're done. The 3-wide grid helps you find things quickly so less scrolling, and no games on the main menu means less scrolling to get to the browser, library etc

Wouldn't be opposed to some changes (this "leak" looks nice). But to be honest I don't really mind how it is right now. If they did announce something I'd want an Alphabetical sorting option for Games/Apps.

But what does that even mean? The people who work on the UI don't work on the games. Are you talking about system resources? If so, then that's not an issue. Look at everything PS3 did with around 90 megabytes of RAM for the OS.

Oni Jazar

People need to get out of the folders mentality and start thinking about tags and filters. That's how you fix the UI issue.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
But what does that even mean? The people who work on the UI don't work on the games. Are you talking about system resources? If so, then that's not an issue. Look at everything PS3 did with around 90 megabytes of RAM for the OS.

Yes, I'm talking about system resources. I think that was obvious enough based on my comments. And I'm aware what the PS3 did, but I don't think it's an absurd notion to want as much power dedicated to games as is possible.

kaiyo

You know that TV/video icon they have? And then you go down into it to see a list of all the Tv apps? Just do that for games. Let you sort it in different ways (default being 'most recent') and you're done. The 3-wide grid helps you find things quickly so less scrolling, and no games on the main menu means less scrolling to get to the browser, library etc
I was just about to post this except with one row (because of the submenu system for games/apps) and they can also allow folders.

you would have
[Whats New] [Games] [Apps] [TV & Video] [Music] [Browser] [Live from Playstation] [Capture Gallary] [Library]

Under games you would have
[TLoU] [Infamous] [Killzone] [etc]
[Overview]
[Recent activities]
[Related items]

Apps would have misc app like the headset companion app.

Top Bottom