• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

(Assuming the rumor has weight to it)

Millions and millions of people have handheld devices (phones, tablets) that run at a resolution higher than 720p. It's pretty delusional to think 720p is a strong selling point for a high-powered mobile device in 2017. Think about who Nintendo's target audience is, and then think about whether or not the audience has been exposed to higher resolution screens!

Of course, there's more to a screen than just the resolution. The size matters, the panel matters, the power draw matters, the anti-glare matters, the touch matters, etc. With that in mind, while 720p is an outdated resolution, 720p might be the only choice they have for delivering a handheld that won't need to be recharged every 20 minutes. Can they communicate this reality in an effective way?

Baby steps won't work in today's portable market. People have expectations of high performance and forward-technology, and if you're coming out with a product that wouldn't look out of place 3 years ago then you should not expect people to do backflips when you announce the features of your product. The question now becomes what cool selling points the device has. The screen isn't it but the games might be it, the online might be it, the detachable controllers might be it, etc.

Good post.

Releasing a single-touch, 540p touchscreen would be laughable in 2017.

They talked about having Zelda be a playable character. Not a female link.

So yes, there were rumors like that, and we did discuss as a staff as to what would be possible if we took that route. We thought about it, and decided that if we're going to have a female protagonist it's simpler to have Princess Zelda as the main character. ...[But] if we have princess Zelda as the main character who fights, then what is Link going to do? Taking into account that, and also the idea of the balance of the Triforce, we thought it best to come back to this [original] makeup.

My read is that the question was thrown out there, at some point some consensus was reached that they'd prefer to have Zelda as a playable female protagonist than a female Link, and then they decided against it because they think Link needs to be the protagonist.

Besides, Emily never said female Link.

Rumor #2: I heard from multiple sources that you can choose between a male or female as your playable character in Zelda.

Papacheeks

Banned
haha I think you're projecting a bit

I'm just pointing out some flaws with your opinion, no need to get riled. first that standard controllers are a thing of the past as far as the main controller is concerned. I'm sure there will be one sold separately for people who want it. second that you're complaining about an assumption. that's all. carry on sir, no harm meant.

I don't think you understood where I was coming from. I was talking mainly console controller, not as a handheld. As a hand held I guess after seeing what there is with Vita touch controls, and what not go nutts if they want.

But I still feel having something that really feels good in both my hands like the pro-controller with a screen in the middle little bigger than PS4 touchpad would be great for console play.

I hated Wii controls, especially for playing more intricate games, or games that would require both d-pad and stick.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding this rumored screen size and resolution (of a prototype!): At that size and resolution, it's about 237 ppi. For comparison, I looked at Apple's "Retina" screens. While their ppi definitely varies depending on the product (seemingly from 218 to 401), I think these are good points of reference for what the tech market consumes. 237 would exceed every Retina desktop and laptop product Apple has, while coming in just under the iPad with Retina Display and iPad Pro models (264 ppi). Beyond that, Apple's iPad Mini with Retina Display and all of their Retina phones have higher ppis (6 Plus is at 401). It seems most of their portable Retina devices have aimed for 326 ppi.

Given that it's a gaming device that will likely aim to have a battery life of at least 3-4 hours while in use, I think 720p is very fair. I'm also surprised that it's actually somewhere in the ballpark of the products Apple puts out, because, well, this is Nintendo.

We'll see how it turns out in the end.

Mega

Banned
Damn... Too small for portable multiplayer in my opinion. I would've liked a full tablet size.

6.2" is kind of a weird middle ground for ergonomics and form factor with detachable controllers. You'll have to crane your neck in some fashion when using them detached.

I hope this will change.

Tablets are a completely dead market. No one will buy a tablet-sized beast of a handheld.

LordOfChaos

Also 720p is a gigantic upgrade from the 3DS's 240p.

Haha man the 3DS is so bad.

Isn't the craziest thing that the 3DS top panel cost was similar to the contemporary iPhone 4 Retina displays cost?

I'm sure nearly every user of it would give up 3D in a heartbeat to have anything near that quality instead of what we got. Even bringing the resolution down by half to save cost would be well ahead of the 3DS display and possibly cheaper.

My read is that the question was thrown out there, at some point some consensus was reached that they'd prefer to have Zelda as a playable female protagonist than a female Link, and then they decided against it because they think Link needs to be the protagonist.

Besides, Emily never said female Link.

Thanks for the quote. I still think that e3 lanyard may have been the source of that rumor/confusion. I edited in a picture on the last page, but here it is again. The hooded Link could easily be mistaken for a female.

nintendoenthusiastgr.jpg

Sounds good, me likey.

Looking at the newest Zelda it looked like it would play great with motion control. The way you flying things about kind of reminded me of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bears.

Thanks for the quote. I still think that e3 lanyard may have been the source of that rumor/confusion. I edited in a picture on the last page, but here it is again. The hooded Link could easily be mistaken for a female.

nintendoenthusiastgr.jpg

Yeah, that's actually possible, especially once you start factoring in that she heard it from several sources. (Imagine how many people had access to the art for the lanyard but not really any other specific information about the game, prior to the re-unveiling.)

Peltz

Current Gen consoles struggle with 1080p so I'm not sure why you'd expect a handheld to hit that or higher. 720p is a good compromise for performance and battery life.

Hopefully though Nintendo is more flexible with platforms now and they can introduce higher res screen in new SKUs like how phones/tablets/PSNeo and Scorpio are going to work. They certainly hinted at it.
Because Wii U can hit it (even if it's rare) and this is more powerful. Even with a 720p screen, I'd be shocked if they don't hit 1080p on an HDTV at some point in the device's lifespan.

Branduil

If the Tegra chip runs at half speed in handheld form and full speed when docked then I'd expect Nintendo to aim for 1080p when docked for most of their games. 720p to 1080p is a little over double the pixels.

Peltz

If the Tegra chip runs at half speed in handheld form and full speed when docked then I'd expect Nintendo to aim for 1080p when docked for most of their games. 720p to 1080p is a little over double the pixels.
Expecting 1080p standard for games when docked I think is asking for a bit much. It will probably have as many games at that res as Wii U currently has.

Peltz

Tablets are a completely dead market. No one will buy a tablet-sized beast of a handheld.
But how do you play on such a small screen with a detached controller without it being an unergonomic experience? It certainly felt way too small when doing that via Wii U + Classic Controller.

You have to prop up such a small screen way too high for it not to feel like you're straining your neck.

They should either go smaller or much larger.

The_Lump

Banned
The big screen is pretty far from where you sit though, that's why it looks gorgeous.

But to put things in context, the iPad Retina is 260 ppi. The NX is 240.

Yeah of course, but even in spite of viewing distance, my point stands I think (as I mentioned).

Millions and millions of people have handheld devices (phones, tablets) that run at a resolution higher than 720p. It's pretty delusional to think 720p is a strong selling point for a high-powered mobile device in 2017. Think about who Nintendo's target audience is, and then think about whether or not the audience has been exposed to higher resolution screens!

Of course, there's more to a screen than just the resolution. The size matters, the panel matters, the power draw matters, the anti-glare matters, the touch matters, etc. With that in mind, while 720p is an outdated resolution, 720p might be the only choice they have for delivering a handheld that won't need to be recharged every 20 minutes. Can they communicate this reality in an effective way?

Baby steps won't work in today's portable market. People have expectations of high performance and forward-technology, and if you're coming out with a product that wouldn't look out of place 3 years ago then you should not expect people to do backflips when you announce the features of your product. The question now becomes what cool selling points the device has. The screen isn't it but the games might be it, the online might be it, the detachable controllers might be it, etc.

Assuming their main target is portable/mobile gamers, then ppi really isn't a metric they seemed fussed about.

Android phones have been trashing Apple in terms of ppi (dpi) for years and I don't think that has had too much of a bearing on sales. Apple's flagship phone for example, has a ppi which was available on top of the ranges Android devices 3 years ago.

Screen resolution was never going to be the selling point of this thing.

This reminds me out the "Revolution" pre-Wii rumor mill. Back then, people speculated wildly about the controller. Can someone dig up some hilarious mockups prior to the Wii reveal?

nikatapi

720p sounds great for the size. My old Nexus 7 has the same res at 7", and it's more than decent. NX sounds better and better.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This thing will render games at a framerate and with assets of enough quality to make any games running on phones with double the resolution look like shit. That's the selling point. Take any game running on top smartphone on the market and compare it to Zelda on this.

Peterc

I hope its 720, but I'm not with you about what people expect.

They expect cheap and good games. They don't care about the resolution. It are only the few gamers like us that cares about it.

3ds was 240p and still sold well and maybe still is

Looking at the games on android and apple store.

Most games have to run on older phones too.
Don't see there are much high end games for last gen phones

orioto

Good Art™
Guys this is so stupid, the resolution talk... People buying a Nintendo portable are not comparing it with their techy phone... They know what they'll have on it that they don't have on their phone, that's why they are buying it.. That's, again, some sort of fake problem for fake interests.

And at 540p, yes 540 fucking p, graphics on it will be so better than any equivalent phone it's not even funny.. Try to compare any phone game to xenoblade chronicle X please..

Those comparison have no reason to exist in first place. That's like someone would say Mario 64 in 4k looks better than Mario Galaxy in 720p, based on resolution alone...

Guys this is so stupid, the resolution talk... People buying a Nintendo portable are not comparing it with their techy phone... They know what they'll have on it that they don't have on their phone, that's why they are buying it.. That's, again, some sort of fake problem for fake interests.

And at 540p, yes 540 fucking p, graphics on it will be so better than any equivalent phone it's not even funny.. Try to compare any phone game to xenoblade chronicle X please..

Those comparison have no reason to exist in first place. That's like someone would say Mario 64 in 4k looks better than Mario Galaxy in 720p.

You know, the funny thing is, no one is doing the phone/home console or even PC comparison. I mean, they have 1440p phones but they play on 1080p TVs.

optimiss

Sigh... This is not what people want.

Speak for yourself good sir! I am extremely excited by the NX leaks as they have exceeded what I expected.

As a working adult I game on my 3DS (subway commute) way more than my home consoles so this fits my use case amazingly well.

orioto

Good Art™
You know, the funny thing is, no one is doing the phone/home console or even PC comparison. I mean, they have 1440p phones but they play on 1080p TVs.

And if you take the screen size in account, i mean PS4 and XBO have basically gameboy IQ compared to phones!

I think the lie with those guys is to think even a 540p 5" screen (a 720p 6+" screen would have equivalent ppi i guess) would have a problem with its resolution. I mean, we can talk resolution when it is actually a problem, that will make things ugly, like really ugly. But at those resolutions, it's damn enough to look sharp and comfortable, so when you reach that comfort, you stop pushing the resolution, but rather push what's displayed at that resolution.. That's so simple to understand.

optimiss

Do they have high expectations though? Does the mainstream market really care what resolution the screen on their NX, or even their phone, is? I would wager that almost no one outside of tech enthusiasts knows the resolution of an iPhone screen. Just look at how many people run their HDTVs or computer monitors at something other than the native resolution and fail to notice is looks like blurry shit. It just isn't a relevant detail for most people.

I think you are absolutely right in saying that it will come down to selling points like having a portable console experience, the games, and the unique non-gaming applications. Along with price, these are the only things that matter.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
would be quite nice if the wii u was one big 'motion isnt ready' while they studied the shit out of it, then arrived with a truely ground breaking implementation of it.

And if you take the screen size in account, i mean PS4 and XBO have basically gameboy IQ compared to phones!

I think the lie with those guys is to think even a 540p 5" screen (a 720p 6+" screen would have equivalent ppi i guess) would have a problem with its resolution. I mean, we can talk resolution when it is actually a problem, that will make things ugly, like really ugly. But at those resolutions, it's damn enough to look sharp and comfortable, so when you reach that comfort, you stop pushing the resolution, but rather push what's displayed at that resolution.. That's so simple to understand.

Exactly. But then again, some people will rather have upscaled blurry games on their 4k phone screen and call it "amazing brand new tech". Ignorance truly is a blessing.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Do they have high expectations though? Does the mainstream market really care what resolution the screen on their NX, or even their phone, is? I would wager that almost no one outside of tech enthusiasts knows the resolution of an iPhone screen. Just look at how many people run their HDTVs or computer monitors at something other than the native resolution and fail to notice is looks like blurry shit. It just isn't a relevant detail for most people.

I think you are absolutely right in saying that it will come down to selling points like having a portable console experience, the games, and the unique non-gaming applications. Along with price, these are the only things that matter.

Yeah, the screen is not going to be a selling feature. It only has to be competent for what they want to do. The gimmick and hook are elsewhere.

orioto

Good Art™
would be quite nice if the wii u was one big 'motion isnt ready' while they studied the shit out of it, then arrived with a truely ground breaking implementation of it.

A really amazing force-feedblack, directional and all, would add a lot of what motion controlled lack in first place. I always thought motion control couldn't replace pads cause.. in a way waving your arm to play tennis feels more close to the real thing.. But actually, pushing a button to do it gives you more physical feedback and makes the action more solid.

Now i'm still really cautious with that thing being able to do more than the Wii in a portable with detachable controllers etc.. and all the problems that goes with it, battery etc.

Also, beyond size problem, did you guys talk about the fact that if some games need you to actually detach the controller and put the screen on some stable surface.. That's already, not only no pocketable, but not portable anymore. You can't play in the bus, in the metro, in the WC.. It's transportable but not playable on the go.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah. I thought the WiiU screen was extremely nice and it wasn't portable.

What? The Wii-U screen was trash even when it launched. Cheap resistive 480p LCD when even the Vita was rocking a 540p OLED at least.

Is this the first HD portable gaming system? Pretty sure it is

When you ignore literally every handheld computing device and arbitrarily limit it to handhelds released by Sony and/or Nintendo? Sure.
I mean, the iPod touch sported a retina display since 2010 and it played plenty of games.

What? The Wii-U screen was trash even when it launched. Cheap resistive 480p LCD when even the Vita was rocking a 540p OLED at least.

When you ignore literally every handheld computing device and arbitrarily limit it to handhelds released by Sony and/or Nintendo? Sure.
I mean, the iPod touch sported a retina display since 2010 and it played plenty of games.

Again with quoting iOS/android devices' resolution, that's misleading if not idiotic. Obviously the interesting part will be natively rendered portable HD games and THOSE could indeed be first on such a device. Having N64 upscaled on a 4k monitor wouldn't be 4k gaming, would it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom