• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Franz Brötchen;215110488 said:
Again with quoting iOS/android devices' resolution, that's misleading if not idiotic. Obviously the interesting part will be natively rendered portable HD games and THOSE could indeed be first on such a device. Having N64 upscaled on a 4k monitor wouldn't be 4k gaming, would it?

Why are we automatically assuming everything on NX is going to be rendered at 720p native? I mean, I sure hope so but it's not in any way guaranteed.

Even the Vita had many subnative titles at 540p.

I sure don't. I want to be able to actually hold this thing for hours.

Just as long as it's not anything like they have been designing them.

My 3DS is so incredibly uncomfortable and awkward to hold it's baffling to think the device got any sort of ergonomic comfort testing or consideration at all.

Oddduck

Also wonder if a 6.2 inch screen will be too large to really make it a 3DS replacement.

Probably, but the New 3DS XL screen wasn't too small either. It had a 4.88-inch stereoscopic 3D display screen.

I wonder if Nintendo will release NX devices with different screen sizes.

Why are we automatically assuming everything on NX is going to be rendered at 720p native? I mean, I sure hope so but it's not in any way guaranteed.

Not a Vita owner, but isn't it the majority of titles running sub 540p there? Also, how about less moving goal posts: I'd bet money on there not being a single natively running port from a then current gen game on the iPod you mentioned. And the working theory among most GAFers is that NX (at least when powered or in dock) will outperform WiiU but not reach XBone. Since there isn't any sub 720p game on WiiU that I know of, I stand by natively rendered HD handheld gaming on NX as derived from these more credible rumors.

orioto

Good Art™
ABout the size, if it was me i would really do this for the NX. I would make 2 skus (cause why not there was 2 for every portable before) directly. But rather than having a cosmetic difference and a subtle size difference i would actually have two skus for different uses.

So a 5" screen Vita sized NX (that's the limit if you want to keep it "pocketable" i think), then a really big one, 6,5, maybe 7" screen version. One would be 540p and the other 720p (bigger, bigger battery, higher clock)

The funny thing of course is that both would stream to tv, on the dock (well i had that idea about the "dock not being something to plug the portable, but something you plug ON the portable, that streams wirelessly to the tv with some tv dongle, who knows..), one at 720p and the other at 1080p.

After all Iwata talked about games being able to be displayed on many forms.

atbigelow

Expand on this please. Do you mean slippery like the iPhone 6 or ergonomics?

Ergonomics. It's weird, because Nintendo is capable of very comfortable console controllers, but totally drop the ball on their handhelds. Despite its bulk, the Wii U Gamepad was quite comfortable.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Can't be that, Sun/Moon requires both sreens. You would need to create the game from the start and I see no reason for them doing so. I am still hoping for the inevitable Kanto remake.

On topic: Does anyone have any guesses on what kind of batteries each controller will use? I'd say 1000mah for each controller and 2000-2500mah for the brains.

That's both overkill for the controllers and far too little for the unit.

Rodin

Because NX rumored hardware is more than enough to handle 720p, even with way better graphics than last gen consoles and Wii U. In fact, considering that this is a hybrid that has to render games on the TV screen as well, 720p is in the lower end of what it has to do. Which means that more complex titles will probably run at 720p on both screens (unless something happens with clocks when used in the dock, which we don't know), but less demanding games can easily be rendered in 1080p to achieve good results on the TV screen, and then downsampled from 1080p to 720p to play on the console screen. Something that already happens on the Wii U, with 720p games downsampled to 480p when you play off tv.

I'm not sure why we're still talking about the Vita though, considering that its SoC clearly isn't powerful enough to render complex games with somewhat modern effects at 540p and that's why you get subnative res titles. I think you can easily see how silly is it to compare a 5 years old SoC with a 28gflops GPU and a 444MHZ CPU to a Pascal Tegra SoC. They're not even remotely in the same league, even in the worst case scenario for the NX.

NateDrake

Nobody has move controller anyway so that's like new :p But that's also bad yeah, just less cause it's not using the idea that everyone has them so they can build on that.

So allowing you to use an old controller that will work with some stuff is a bad thing? I'd love if the Xbox One let me use my 360 controller. The report never said the motion controller for NX won't differ from the Wii-mote in some way.

I've always wanted a new and improved version of the Wii remote from Nintendo. I love it and how great it works. They can find a way to refine it and add some buttons or what not would be great.

atr0cious

How was 4 players a novelty and not just a feature?

That generation had already been established at 2 players by the PS2, no one gave a shit about the multitap. Extra players were usually relegated to sports games or shooters, which is pretty much the main reason the Xbox grabbed a foothold with halo, which was also a novelty box filled with sega's last gasp and a giant ass rebuke to the smaller dualshock of the time. The moment 4 players on a console was mainstream dead was when Pandorra Tomorrow came out.

Pokemaniac

You don't put a screen in a handheld unless you intend for games to natively target its resolution.

Vita is an outlier where Sony screwed up the balance.

Literally the only first-party game announced for NX relies 0% on control gimmicks.

We will see what gimmicks they have in store for us soon, not sure why anyone would think they would go traditional honestly

Besides the gamecube, which still had 4 player novelty, this Nintendo never existed.

? You mean besides Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo , Nintendo and Gamecube?

Your stretching a whole lot to take up for their issues i controls and game play on the Wii and Wii U.

BDGAME

So, I made a mock-up based the premise that the screen on the development kit is provisory, only to show the resolution of the NX in portable mode. Then I figured that:

1015737c2f.jpg

- customized controllers. Put the sticks and the buttons on the order of your preference.
- each controller have their own battery.
- the main body don't have a battery and is very light.
- the NX can use smarth devices, like phones and tablets as the screen.
- you can use the TV when plug the main body to the dock.
- the body can send image for more than one device at time. You can use the TV and a tablet to play games like Mario maker,for example.
- Use the controllers like 2 Wiimotes.
- it's possible to use a smarth device like a controller.

Holepunch

Also, beyond size problem, did you guys talk about the fact that if some games need you to actually detach the controller and put the screen on some stable surface.. That's already, not only no pocketable, but not portable anymore. You can't play in the bus, in the metro, in the WC.. It's transportable but not playable on the go.
Its because of that reason I believe that motion controls are going to be purely optional, and never forced like they were on the Wii. It's way too impractical for the handheld mode require anything beyond attached controller gyro. I can see it as something you can only do while docked.

Really makes me hopeful for BoTW finally getting the best control scheme. Button for sword, motion for bow.

So, I made a mock-up based the premise that the screen on the development kit is provisory, only to show the resolution of the NX in portable mode. Then I figured that:

1015737c2f.jpg

- customized controllers. Put the sticks and the buttons on the order of your preference.
- the body can send image for more than one device at time. You can use the TV and a tablet to play games like Mario maker,for example.

This looks complex, but super kool! I love the Wii mote <3

eifer

Guys, this system has to be simple enough that small children can use it without swallowing bits of controllers / losing parts etc.

ggx2ac

Guys, this system has to be simple enough that small children can use it without swallowing bits of controllers / losing parts etc.

I know this is bait, I just can't help it. It's so funny!

Nintendo, the company that decided not to release an Arwing amiibo because they were worried that the sharpness of the wings would harm children.

Nintendo, the company that has a WARNING LABEL on the 3DS saying that the system's 3D effect is not for children under 6.

Nintendo... you can see what I'm getting at here. At least make more sense by saying something ridiculous like, "Nintendo are penny pinchers, they wouldn't spend money on such industry leading chips!?" Rather than going for the Fox News misinformation angle that apparently Nintendo's NX will harm children from 0-3 years old.

1015737c2f.jpg

This picture is a good reminder that, no one's ever really excited for a new Nintendo console. Mostly people are just hoping that with all the things they fuck up, somehow, there's one thing you actually wanted, that they forgot to ruin.

I'm pretty excited by the possibilities NX can provide. I think we're in for something pretty special with this system.
The NX is rumored to use a chip that's capable of <2x Wii U and being portable means Nintendo can create really good looking and ambitious games while keeping the budget down and (hopefully) having a big enough install base to create a lot of experiences.
Last gen they had to struggle between supporting 2 systems capable of 3D gaming unlike Wii/DS and one of the systems costs a heck of a lot more while selling like 1/5th as many units. They also struggled with HD development but now they know what it takes to manage an HD project (the team sizes and time necessary to make an HD game) on top of having a lot of HD experience and tech including the Zelda engine and its advanced physics engine. Additionally, this time around they'll have just one system/platform to support that's powerful enough to support any idea Nintendo has and being a portable system they can also get away with having simpler visuals with smaller budgets (return of mid tier software)
On top of that, they're bundling in two new Wii Motion+ like controllers? That sounds great! Having two analog sticks and two Wii Motion+ like controllers will allow for a deeper experience than the Wii Mote and nunchuck would've ever allowed with better camera controls and mobility. The new force feedback sounds interesting too, I kind of really want that fabled motion controlled sword fighting game.
There's also the touch screen and the detachable controllers and how that could work. I found this and posted it the locked NX thread:
They can experiment a lot with the touch screen and the screen orientation, something console/PC games haven't been able to do. Nintendo can produce big budget touch screen only games, motion control only games, or any combination of the two.
It sounds promising, even indies can go nuts with this concept on a system that will likely have a big enough installbase while not being as weak and hard to develop for as the 3DS
Oh! and You can also allow for Wii VC games to work well with the new controllers and 3DS VC can probably work on this too

Y'all trippin for real..

720p is like the highest resolution on a portable gaming system to be released. Vita is 540p, 3DS is bullshit 240p.

720 lets the NX have better performance, better graphics, and have better battery life for a HANDHELD ELECTRONIC

I expect people on GAF to know about basic computation along with your gaming knowledge brehs

jonno394

So I need a tablet or phone to play nx on the go. No Thanks

gunstarhero

Y'all trippin for real..

720p is like the highest resolution on a portable gaming system to be released. Vita is 540p, 3DS is bullshit 240p.

720 lets the NX have better performance, better graphics, and have better battery life for a HANDHELD ELECTRONIC

I expect people on GAF to know about basic computation along with your gaming knowledge brehs

You're making way too much sense for this thread.

phanphare

Banned
I'm pretty excited by the possibilities NX can provide. I think we're in for something pretty special with this system.
The NX is rumored to use a chip that's capable of <2x Wii U and being portable means Nintendo can create really good looking and ambitious games while keeping the budget down and (hopefully) having a big enough install base to create a lot of experiences.
Last gen they had to struggle between supporting 2 systems capable of 3D gaming unlike Wii/DS and one of the systems costs a heck of a lot more while selling like 1/5th as many units. They also struggled with HD development but now they know what it takes to manage an HD project (the team sizes and time necessary to make an HD game) on top of having a lot of HD experience and tech including the Zelda engine and its advanced physics engine. Additionally, this time around they'll have just one system/platform to support that's powerful enough to support any idea Nintendo has and being a portable system they can also get away with having simpler visuals with smaller budgets (return of mid tier software)
On top of that, they're bundling in two new Wii Motion+ like controllers? That sounds great! Having two analog sticks and two Wii Motion+ like controllers will allow for a deeper experience than the Wii Mote and nunchuck would've ever allowed with better camera controls and mobility. The new force feedback sounds interesting too, I kind of really want that fabled motion controlled sword fighting game.
There's also the touch screen and the detachable controllers and how that could work. I found this and posted it the locked NX thread:

They can experiment a lot with the touch screen and the screen orientation, something console/PC games haven't been able to do. Nintendo can produce big budget touch screen only games, motion control only games, or any combination of the two.
It sounds promising, even indies can go nuts with this concept on a system that will likely have a big enough installbase while not being as weak and hard to develop for as the 3DS
Oh! and You can also allow for Wii VC games to work well with the new controllers and 3DS VC can probably work on this too

those look really good, damn

Pittree

I never got to finish this concept. But I figured it would be ok to post it even while it is not finished to expose how I envisioned the controllers working along with the "dock" and other possibilities.

Please understand the quick dirty work done in the mockup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom