• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Possible Pokemon Sun and Moon Chinese Leaks [SPOILERS]

I don't mind people comparing Pokemon to Digimon as long as they have proper perspective. Before you make that comparison, think long and hard about the fact that there is a Digimon explicitly based on Jesus. Contemplate that it's a knight with swords on its arms, legs, and tail, and that it's accompanied with fireball Digimon who are named after the Three Musketeers. It evolves from a set of dinosaur-like Digimon with bladed armour, which are all named after Huckleberry Finn. And he's basically trained by Jotaro Kujo.

If you can still compare a Pokemon to Digimon while you have that in mind, more power to you.
Well you picked the one out of many to try and make some point. Nothing wrong with people comparing them. I don't know why people try to use the comparison like it's a negative anyway

Vire

Are you sure you're not just being swayed by nostalgia? For a lot of people the original pokemon have a special meaning to them because it was their first exposure to the franchise and took place in the golden days of their youth, so perhaps that might be the real root of your displeasure?

I only ask this because so far most of your issues seem to be easily disproven by posting pictures of gen 1 pokemon, so it comes across as you looking for problems rather than inherently having said problems :/

I dunno, I don't really think it's nostalgia since I still really like some of the newer designs of more recent Pokemon's like Tyrantrum from last time around.

I just don't like these.

Violet_0

Banned
if those are indeed the final forms, they are the best-looking starter Pokemon lines in a very long time in my opinion

only the Litten final evolution looks lazy/generic/frankly quite ugly. The other two have a unique look and I really dig their design. I'm also pretty sure they aren't fakes, they just seem right

I dunno, I don't really think it's nostalgia since I still really like some of the newer designs of more recent Pokemon's like Tyrantrum from last time around.

I just don't like these.

Fair enough :3
There's tonnes of pokemon designs I don't like but I've never really thought about what gen they belong to or whether they were new or old personally :D

For the new ones so far the only stand-outs for me are rock puppy, cutie-fly and, if it's remotely real, mermaid evo 3. I guess Litten is ok but I tend not to pay much heed to the first evo of starters are they're rarely indicitive of what they'll end up like and they're not even remotely competitive compared to the 2nd and 3rd forms :p

I've heard the Digimon argument every time a new Pokémon has been revealed since bloody 1999.

I'm sick of it

Thing is, with many Pokémon this gen, I've seen people complaining that they look too basic and too much like animals

Back when someone from Gamefreak said that they were going to take a more subdued approach with designs in Gen 7*, I had a feeling that it was going to be litmus test how hypocritical people can get during the discussion of designs.

*As an aside, this was said a short time after XY came out. In retrospect, it was really obvious that they weren't planning to have gen 6 last long from the beginning.

Vire

Fair enough :3
There's tonnes of pokemon designs I don't like but I've never really thought about what gen they belong to or whether they were new or old personally :D

For the new ones so far the only stand-outs for me are rock puppy, cutie-fly and, if it's remotely real, mermaid evo 3. I guess Litten is ok but I tend not to pay much heed to the first evo of starters are they're rarely indicitive of what they'll end up like and they're not even remotely competitive compared to the 2nd and 3rd forms :p

Looking on Serebii now, I actually like this new one that was just announced recently:

salandit.png

Fire/Poison Salamander? Sure why not!

Whatever the fuck this is can die in a fire though:

bruxish.png

I just don't like these.

Not like a pokemon design isnt a crime. But making blanket statements that dont hold up as a result of this dislike probably isnt the best idea seeing how quickly your sentiment was found to be groundless.

DNAbro

I just watched the E3 presentation again and just heard that the professor studies pokemon moves kinda of like how Sycamore studied evolution and then we got Megas. And with this part

The diamonds seen in the logo, and in the bracelets the playable characters wear, are collectible and seem to unlock functions somewhat simillar to Mega Evolution but not quite---perhaps this is related to the "Super Move" Pikachu is shown using in a shot posted to the official site. One of these stones apparently will be used to access Ash-Greninja

now I'm very inclined to believe that something like this is happening. I've heard other similar theories but this one I believe.

I just watched the E3 presentation again and just heard that the professor studies pokemon moves kinda of like how Sycamore studied evolution and then we got Megas. And with this part

now I'm very inclined to believe that something like this is happening. I've heard other similar theories but this one I believe.

Not gonna complain about new additions to the series. Fans and critics alike call GameFreak out for sticking to the formula and they bitch when they try to switch shit up. I completely ignored Megas but im glad fans who love them had that option. I am also speaking in regards to gyms not being the cnetral focus as well. Really liking what im seeing and hearing about gen vii. Just hope there is a damn postgame this time.

I must be the only person who isnt big on salandit. I dont like the eyes and he seems really basic. Still loving the designs overall though.

Back when someone from Gamefreak said that they were going to take a more subdued approach with designs in Gen 7*, I had a feeling that it was going to be litmus test how hypocritical people can get during the discussion of designs.

*As an aside, this was said a short time after XY came out. In retrospect, it was really obvious that they weren't planning to have gen 6 last long from the beginning.

Really seemed like Gen VI primarily existed for GF to get their feet wet with more advanced 3D models, etc. Gen VII is where i expect them to truly shine.

Vire

Not gonna complain about new additions to the series. Fans and critics alike call GameFreak out for sticking to the formula and they bitch when they try to switch shit up. I completely ignored Megas but im glad fans who love them had that option. I am also speaking in regards to gyms not being the cnetral focus as well. Really liking what im seeing and hearing about gen vii. Just hope there is a damn postgame this time.

My biggest problem beyond the designs of anything in Gen 6 was the fact that I could easily beat every single fight in the Elite 4 with only my Greninja.

By far the easiest Pokemon I have ever played and it was a bummer how mindless most of the battles were.

Meffer

I've heard the Digimon argument every time a new Pokémon has been revealed since bloody 1999.

I'm sick of it

Thing is, with many Pokémon this gen, I've seen people complaining that they look too basic and too much like animals
Digimon's design process is different from Pokemon for sure. Digimon are data comprised from the Internet so their designs are compiled and mixed from anything that's on the Internet. Myth, drawings, stories, videos and pop culture affected how Digimon were structured.

Atlas157

Whatever the fuck this is can die in a fire though:

bruxish.png

Yeah, fuck Gamefreak for designing a Pokemon based on a Triggerfish, a real life ugly fish.

People seem to forget that Pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters, not Pocket Cute and Badass Animals.

My biggest problem beyond the designs of anything in Gen 6 was the fact that I could easily beat every single fight in the Elite 4 with only my Greninja.

By far the easiest Pokemon I have ever played and it was a bummer how mindless most of the battles were.

Stopped playing Gen VI after I got to Lumiose City so I cant speak to.the difficulty. However, the fact is that more and more people arent playing games to completetion and give up on them half way through. When you couple this with the fact the the game are intended for children, ifs not hard to see why the games were so easy. That said, GF really could fix this by just adding a difficulty mode. I thought Pokemon Yellow had a good difficulty (barring the level spike after Erika).

Berordn

Yeah, fuck Gamefreak for designing a Pokemon based on a Triggerfish, a real life ugly fish.

People seem to forget that Pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters, not Pocket Cute and Badass Animals.

When the mascot of the series is a rodent that was redesigned to become cuter over time, I'm not sure nomenclature is the hill I'd choose to die on.

Not that I disagree, I like the variety in styles we've been getting but it's hard to deny that the most popular Pokemon tend to be the cute or aesthetically pleasing ones and they pander to it every generation for the most part.

All he said is whatever it is can die dude. People aren't going to like every design. He didn't say any of what you said

Meffer

That goes for every game in the series. I defeated Red in Sliver with only my Thyplosion. They're very easy and it a good number of people want GF to add difficulty options for challenges.

Meffer

When the mascot of the series is a rodent that was redesigned to become cuter over time, I'm not sure nomenclature is the hill I'd choose to die on.

Not that I disagree, I like the variety in styles we've been getting but it's hard to deny that the most popular Pokemon tend to be the cute or aesthetically pleasing ones and they pander to it every generation for the most part.
Fat Pikachu was adorable.

Violet_0

Banned
just a side note, but Triggerfish are awesome. They'll attack you as soon as you enter their territory and you'll have to dodge them or they'll nibble at your swimfins and damage them. Dancing with the Triggerfish is fun. The Pokemon design doesn't do them justice

Ydelnae

I love Pokemon, I love all generations as the first one (well, gen iv less than the rest) and I've been here playing the games since Red and Blue first released. That Pokemon is still ugly as hell and can die in a fire. The franchise name being Pocket Monsters doesn't excuse bad designs (I'm not saying this one is a bad design, as it is supposed to be an ugly fish). I don't mind there being an ugly as hell Pokemon every once in a while, but I don't see the deal with what that member said, this Pokemon can die in a fire.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
lmao echo chamber, now I've seen everything

Well you picked the one out of many to try and make some point. Nothing wrong with people comparing them. I don't know why people try to use the comparison like it's a negative anyway

because it is a moot comparison anyway, a comparison based on something so shallow

it's not even like Street Fighter being compared to Fatal Fury

like I said, the Japanese never actually compared the two for serious discussion or such, for them Pokemon is Pokemon and Digimon is Digimon, the one they do compare are those that have some given attachment, like you'll know people comparing Ultraman and Jet Jaguar and Zone Fighter

Atlas157

I love Pokemon, I love all generations as the first one (well, gen iv less than the rest) and I've been here playing the games since Red and Blue first released. That Pokemon is still ugly as hell and can die in a fire. The franchise name being Pocket Monsters doesn't excuse bad designs (I'm not saying this one is a bad design, as it is supposed to be an ugly fish). I don't mind there being an ugly as hell Pokemon every once in a while, but I don't see the deal with what that member said, this Pokemon can die in a fire.

Just like how real life has ugly as hell animals. The great thing about Pokemon is that there's cute, bad ass, awesome looking ones, and there's also the weird, strange, and ugly ones, just like real life!

Amazing isn't it?

Oh cool, now that I know it's a Trigger Fish, I like it now.

/s

Never said you had to like it, I was just educating you.

s/

Just like how real life has ugly as hell animals. The great thing about Pokemon is that there's cute, bad ass, awesome looking ones, and there's also the weird, strange, and ugly ones, just like real life!

Amazing isn't it?

Never said you had to, I was just educating you.

s/
So how about you just tell him it's a trigger fish instead of all that other nonsense

Kirlia

Banned
Every time I see this thread appear, I keep hoping that there was another leak from the same source. :(

Anyhow, all three of those possibly fake/possibly real starter evolution designs are cool. Yes, even the tiger wrestler (hoping for Fire/Dark or even Fire/Ground, though). And I'm down for a werewolf Pokemon.

Boss Doggie

No see it's fine not to like something.

What it isn't fine is somehow not liking something automatically makes it a legitimate complaint against the design. And don't give me that shit about opinions defense - an opinion is open for dissection.

I mean fuck, I hate Charizard but when I criticize the design I don't base it on "well I hate it". And I'll tell you immediately that while I hate Charizard, it is very popular and I understand that fact. It is a very safe design that appeals to the masses and is easily accessible for players that self-insert to have this "cool" dragon. I can do that without letting my hatred be a descriptor for the quality of the mon.

No see it's fine not to like something.

What it isn't fine is somehow not liking something automatically makes it a legitimate complaint against the design. And don't give me that shit about opinions defense - an opinion is open for dissection.

I mean fuck, I hate Charizard but when I criticize the design I don't base it on "well I hate it". And I'll tell you immediately that while I hate Charizard, it is very popular and I understand that fact. It is a very safe design that appeals to the masses and is easily accessible for players that self-insert to have this "cool" dragon. I can do that without letting my hatred be a descriptor for the quality of the mon.

This has always been the core of the problem, people don't know how to actually express their displeasure at a level beyond making driveby posts or random exclamation of other monster series. Too much of the discourse is centered around being childish rather than being honest. Back in 1999 this would made sense because may of us were children back then, but over the years people grew up and are still resorting to the same nonsense that rules discussion. I'd say it's the McDonalds of art critique, but that would be an insult to McDonalds.

That's the reason why Watch Da Birdie's review thread on every design through Gen 6 is such a breath of fresh air. It offers an actual descriptive and purposeful level of discussion that you unfortunately don't see when it comes to the rest of the fanbase. As someone who's self-studying art it's really appreciated.

Boss Doggie

what's try hard? THe pic is pretty lame but my point was why does it have to evolve into some 2 legged thing. They did it to Fennekin too.

That's why Arcanine stays winning.

Rockruff will nab that best dog title soon. Soon I tells ya!

Hell I think it's the second best puppy out of all, only topped by Poochyena!

This has always been the core of the problem, people don't know how to actually express their displeasure at a level beyond making driveby posts or random exclamation of other monster series. Too much of the discourse is centered around being childish rather than being honest. Back in 1999 this would made sense because may of us were children back then, but over the years people grew up and are still resorting to the same nonsense that rules discussion. I'd say it's the McDonalds of art critique, but that would be an insult to McDonalds.

That's the reason why Watch Da Birdie's review thread on every design through Gen 6 is such a breath of fresh air. It offers an actual descriptive and purposeful level of discussion that you unfortunately don't see when it comes to the rest of the fanbase. As someone who's self-studying art it's really appreciated.

Sad that it's not a popular thread... well I guess it was back when it was focused in Gen 1 but I guess the usual trend happens.

what's try hard? THe pic is pretty lame but my point was why does it have to evolve into some 2 legged thing. They did it to Fennekin too.

That's why Arcanine stays winning.

I don't understand it either, for some reason they like making fire starters bipedal. Those old fake starter evos that popped up a few months ago were cool because Litten's final was this sleek panther with a very subtle reference to a cannon. I would've been very proud to raise something like that in SM.

Just curious, after the first three gens, what's everyone's favorite gen in terms of new monsters?

I was thinking about it today. I really like DPPt as games, but I think 4th gen overall is kinda weak. All those new evolutions took up a lot of room.

Then fifth gen had those elemental monkeys which took up 6 Pokemon... and lots of other weaker designs. But Krookodile, Haxorus, Zebstrika, Archeops, Zoroark were all super cool imo. Plus it was neat as BW were essentially full-on reboots, a whole new 151 Pokes with no older ones available initially.

Sixth gen had imo the weakest final evo starters (besides the sexy Greninja).

I dunno. It's tough. I think I have to give the nod to fifth gen though. For me it goes 5 > 4 > 6.

Boss Doggie

for me XY has the most mons I really enjoyed, and they hit me so much so well

it currently holds my favorite Pokemon of all time - Tyrantrum

Just curious, after the first three gens, what's everyone's favorite gen in terms of new monsters?

I was thinking about it today. I really like DPPt as games, but I think 4th gen overall is kinda weak. All those new evolutions took up a lot of room.

Then fifth gen had those elemental monkeys which took up 6 Pokemon... and lots of other weaker designs. But Krookodile, Haxorus, Zebstrika, Archeops, Zoroark were all super cool imo. Plus it was neat as BW were essentially full-on reboots, a whole new 151 Pokes with no older ones available initially.

I dunno. It's tough. I think I have to give the nod to fifth gen though. For me it goes 5 > 4 > 6.

I'd have to say 5. Looking back, that was the gen with the most Pokemon that really resonated with me.

Daemul

Gen V for me too. It's the only generation where I've used every Pokemon(excluding Legendaries and Mythicals).

Ydelnae

Gen VI has the most aesthetically pleasing Pokemon. I only remember the ghost tree, Delphox and the three mythical Pokemon being offensively ugly. Gen V on the other hand has more risky and original designs, even thought some of the designs were a mess.

For me, the three best gens in terms of design are II, VI and I.

Gen V has oshawott and levanny there's no competition.

Plus gamefreak was at an all time high story wise and had the balls to actually only have new Pokemon like that was risky..I love it

Yeah let's ignore the cute and badass designs that have helped the series stand on its own and have won it its popularity.

Yeah let's ignore the cute and badass designs that have helped the series stand on its own and have won it its popularity.

Is that what you think he is saying?

He is just positing that "ugly" mons have been intentionally designed to be so and have been part of the series since day one.

There are mons for all types of people. It's *because* the series doesn't only deal in ugly/cute/cool and don't limit their designs to one specific archetype that you can have a massive group where everyone can find that one mon that they really like. It's one of the strengths of the series IMO.

Top Bottom