• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Possible Pokemon Sun and Moon Chinese Leaks [SPOILERS]

Just curious, after the first three gens, what's everyone's favorite gen in terms of new monsters?

I was thinking about it today. I really like DPPt as games, but I think 4th gen overall is kinda weak. All those new evolutions took up a lot of room.

Then fifth gen had those elemental monkeys which took up 6 Pokemon... and lots of other weaker designs. But Krookodile, Haxorus, Zebstrika, Archeops, Zoroark were all super cool imo. Plus it was neat as BW were essentially full-on reboots, a whole new 151 Pokes with no older ones available initially.

Sixth gen had imo the weakest final evo starters (besides the sexy Greninja).

I dunno. It's tough. I think I have to give the nod to fifth gen though. For me it goes 5 > 4 > 6.
Gen 6> 4 >>>5

People complain about Gen 6 and it's gen 1 pandering. However, Gen 5 was much worse. A significant portion of Gen 5 pokemon were just repackaged Gen 1 pokemon. Don't get me wrong there is a decent amount of Pokemon I like from Gen 5 but in general the designs felt reductive. I recall developers saying that a common complaint was the persistence of Zubats in caves and Tentacool in the water. Their solution was to just make new bat and jellyfish pokemon to harass you in caves. I enjoy Woobat and Frillish a lot more than their Gen 1 counterparts but they completely missed the point. I'm glad Gen 6 came up with a better solution allowing you to catch a lot of different kinds of Pokemon at any time. The Gen 5 designs themselves were either some of my most like designs in the series or I strongly disliked it.

Those old fake starter evos that popped up a few months ago were cool because Litten's final was this sleek panther with a very subtle reference to a cannon. I would've been very proud to raise something like that in SM.

I'm mad at myself for looking those up, I'm mad at you for bringing those to my attention, and I'm mad at Game Freak because I know the final Evolutions are going to look nothing like those.

Zomba13

There are mons for all types of people. It's *because* the series doesn't only deal in ugly/cute/cool and don't limit their designs to one specific archetype that you can have a massive group where everyone can find that one mon that they really like. It's one of the strengths of the series IMO.

Yup, one man's Dunsparce is another man's Dunsparce.

Ryan_09

Maybe it's just because I'm very easy to please, but I absolutely love every single design. Though, if I had a least favorite, it would have to be the Lake Trio: Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf, and that's only because of them having the same type and ability, and very similar designs.

But that's what's awesome about the franchise. There's so many different Pokemon that there's something for everyone. Nobody is expected to like every single Pokemon, and that's cool. However, it's a little ignorant to claim that Game Freak are out of ideas or the designs are getting worse each generation. Even more so, saying they should retcon a Pokemon. I'd be devastated if even one Pokemon was retconned. Even Jynx, Finneon, Mothim, Wartortle, Luvdisc, and Mega Evolutions. Somebody likes these Pokemon (myself included), and it's not like your favorites are going anywhere either.

That being said, I'm all up for critiquing designs, and opinions are cool and all that, but there's definitely no need for the drive-by hate posts. It's not particularly productive or adds to any discussion. Just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth. ^-^'

And can I just say that I'm legit hoping that Popplio evolution is real? Not sure if it'll take over Samurott for me... but that evolution is everything I want and more! It's just the perfect mix of elegant, quirky, and weird for me. :D

Kinsei

Banned
Just curious, after the first three gens, what's everyone's favorite gen in terms of new monsters?

I was thinking about it today. I really like DPPt as games, but I think 4th gen overall is kinda weak. All those new evolutions took up a lot of room.

Then fifth gen had those elemental monkeys which took up 6 Pokemon... and lots of other weaker designs. But Krookodile, Haxorus, Zebstrika, Archeops, Zoroark were all super cool imo. Plus it was neat as BW were essentially full-on reboots, a whole new 151 Pokes with no older ones available initially.

Sixth gen had imo the weakest final evo starters (besides the sexy Greninja).

I dunno. It's tough. I think I have to give the nod to fifth gen though. For me it goes 5 > 4 > 6.

4 > 5 > 6 for me.

I know a lot of people hate the new evolutions in Gen 4, but I love most of them. Yanma is one of my favorite bug Pokemon and Yanmega is great (should have been Bug/Dragon though. C'mon give it a third evo!), I love both Eeveelutions, I love Electvire and Magmortar, etc.

| also think a lot of the new Pokemon are great as well. Turtwig and Piplup are some of my favorite starters, The Starly line are my favorite early game birds, The Shinx line is awesome, I adore the Drifloon line, etc.

This isn't to say I hate the Pokemon from Gen 5 and Gen 6 (Far from it, Chandelure is my favorite Pokemon) but I just feel that Gen 4 had the best good to bad ratio of the three.

Ryan_09

5 > 4 > 6 for me.

1 will always be my favorite, purely for nostalgia. I can never decide if I like the 5th or 3rd gen designs more... though I think right now 5th gen is edging out for me at the moment. 7th gen is already looking like it'll be tied or above 3rd gen (dat Lunala). Usually the odd numbered gens are my favorites, because of how weird or experimental they can be. That includes gen 1. Magneton, Muk, Jynx, Mr. Mime and the like are cool. xD

Honestly, 6th gen is only my least favorite by default. No, disrespect. Gen 2 isn't too far ahead of it though.

L Thammy

After putting in a ton of research, I've managed to assemble an ordered list of starter Pokemon from best to worst, including the possible leaked starters. Please note that this is based on highly objective data and is therefore not up for debate.

1. They gave this Pokemon cannons goddamn. Seriously it should just shoot the other guy and you win automatically
2. I want to wear a metal tuxedo to my wedding. And it's the same height as Napoleon, so it's all historical and shit
3. Do you have a tree growing out of you? I didn't think so
4. I bet Gredinja likes Ninja Gaiden. I mean on the NES. The birds aren't actually hard if you know what to do
5. And the talent agent says to the snake, "That was hell of an act. What do you call it?" "The aristocrats!"
6. Look at that samurai moustache. Mario & Luigi is the only RPG franchise with a moustache stat and that's a tragedy
7. If it was really Goku, there'd be at least one episode consisting entirely of him shooting a Hyper Beam
8. Fried chicken is good but dealing with the bones is a pain so I only get it on garbage day
9. It's like the government did experiments on this alligator and now it's a freaky killing machine, or maybe it just needs to stop wearing a backpack
10. It has a belt that shoots fire. All my belt does is wear out with age
11. I like how they pretty much just took Cyndaquil and made it bigger. Sugimori's all like, I have to do a hundred of these things, give me a fucking break
12. He also has a bowtie and glasses, because he's not just an archer, he's also a nerd
13. Man fuck coming up with monsters I'm just going to draw a dragon.
14. Who's the greatest mudskipper of them all? Who can skip through the mud with the greatest of ease? What kind of wonderful guy?
15. I'm just going to pretend that Mega Sceptile is the original because I can't think of anything interesting about the original
16. Was The Little Mermaid a good movie? I feel like it was, but I only remember Under the Sea
17. Wait, was I drawing a frog or a dinosaur? Ah well kids are stupid I'll just slap one of those smelly jungle flowers on it and call it a day
18. That Goku one was pretty cool let's do the same thing but with a pig
19. When a squirrel eats enough nuts it gets protective nut armour
20. It's like they took a Touhou and then they decided to give it normal adult human proportions. It's weird
21. Meganium is dumb

5 > 4 > 6 (probably last overall) as for the series as a whole: 5 > 3 > 2 > 4 > 6 > 1

I just love how varied and interesting Generation 5's designs were. It also helps that the gameplay was fantastic coupled with the minor but important changes such as the Exp System being based on level rather than fixed gains. I dumped a lot of hours on Black and Black 2 during 2012 when I was at my low point and have fond memories of enjoying Unova and its Pokemon.

Generation 4 was also great, the designs were awesome (I mean seriously, a fighting monkey, a steel penguin, and a kaiju turtle? Sign me right the fuck up). My only gripes with this generation is how slow the battles were (fixed in Platinum), and how rosters were nerfed because of stupid design quirks; Flint only had 2 Fire Pokemon in DP despite being the Fire E4.

And then there's Generation 6...Yikes. With the small amount of Pokemon available, I found a lot of the designs to be hit/miss. I like Greninja and Chesnaught, but Delphox and Goodra can go fuck off. The gameplay was boring and a slog to get through thanks to the reversion to a fixed Exp gain system, the story was all kinds of batshit ridiculous, and Team Flare was just bad. Gen 5 really emphasized story and Gen 6 felt like it was trying too hard to fill 5's shoes.

4 > 5 > 6 for me.

I know a lot of people hate the new evolutions in Gen 4, but I love most of them. Yanma is one of my favorite bug Pokemon and Yanmega is great (should have been Bug/Dragon though. C'mon give it a third evo!), I love both Eeveelutions, I love Electvire and Magmortar, etc.

| also think a lot of the new Pokemon are great as well. Turtwig and Piplup are some of my favorite starters, The Starly line are my favorite early game birds, The Shinx line is awesome, I adore the Drifloon line, etc.

This isn't to say I hate the Pokemon from Gen 5 and Gen 6 (Far from it, Chandelure is my favorite Pokemon) but I just feel that Gen 4 had the best good to bad ratio of the three.

I love the idea of new evos for those Pokemon, I just wish they had been spaced out better. Could have been "new" to HGSS easily with Yanmega, etc. You have like the bottom third of the new Pokedex dedicated to legends and evolutions in DPPt.

As another poster mentioned, having just Ponyta and Chimchar as the sole fire Pokemon (non Heatran) in Diamond/Pearl was real dumb, which only looked dumber with having a fire type E4 member. Almost like how few electric types there were in gen 2 (pretty much Mareep or bust for more than half of the game).

Good to see mostly positive vibes about all the gens. Seems opinions are pretty wildly varied about the last 3 gens.

Gen 1-4>6>5
Gen 5 has so many Pokemon, but I only like 20-30% or so. For me Gen 6 is the recovery generation. Just 70 new Pokemon was a bummer though.

Edit: So far Gen 7 is at least as good as Gen 1-4. It has the potential to become my favourite generation.

Anura

For me it's 4 > 6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5. Gen 4 has some of my absolute favorite design like Shaymin and Frosslass while gen 5 had very VERY few Pokemon I actually liked.

In this list, I'm only gonna talk about the final Starter evolution designs, as overall I've liked a good deal of Pokemon in every generation. (I'm not gonna go too in depth about what I like about each design, unless some one asks, this is just in general)

So, as far as starter designs go, my order would be:

1. Gen 4
2. Gen 3
3. Gen 1
4. Gen 6
5. Gen 5
6. Gen 2

Gen 4 is on top because, I LOVE all three of these designs. Infernape, Torterra, and Empoleon just knock it out of the park for me.

Gen 3 comes in second because, again I like all 3 designs, only I like Swampert a little less.

Gen 1 comes in third because, while I don't dislike any of the designs, I'm not super excited by Blastoise or Venusaur, and while I do like Charizard, I can think of other starters whose designs I like more (Infernape!)

Gen 6: I really like Greninja (surprise surprise), I also like Chestnaught's design (would have preferred a slightly different color scheme, but it's still cool), however I do not care for Delphox at all. I get where Delphox design is coming from, but that doesn't make me like it any more.

Gen 5: Really, the only reason Gen 5 isn't at the bottom is because, despite being bitter over it being the 3rd Fire/Fighting type in a row I actually really like Emboar's design. Serperior I kinda like, and Samourott (sp?) is... ok. I would have liked it much more if it had been on 2 legs, at least. I mean, it is supposed to be a samurai, right? lol

Gen 2: Now, I know a lot of people will probably be surprised by this. As far as the game goes, I really like Gen 2. However, as the years have gone by, and as we've gotten new gen after new gen, I've grown more and more neutral to these starters. They're all just too plain and safe to me.

As far as designs go, I'm finding that overall, I appreciate designs that aren't too over designed, but at the same time, I don't like designs that are too simplistic either.

There are mons for all types of people. It's *because* the series doesn't only deal in ugly/cute/cool and don't limit their designs to one specific archetype that you can have a massive group where everyone can find that one mon that they really like. It's one of the strengths of the series IMO.
In theory, sure. In practice, there are very few 'viable' cute pokemon that aren't legendary but there's a glut of ugly, edgelord and grimdark ones. I'd argue this is partly due to Gamefreak's decision that pokemon usually have to start at cute so it's rarely an end point and the few that are cute and powerful are basically 1 stage evos (e.g. Mawile, though it still needs mega to really work competitively)

I can count the number of teams I've seen rocking a liligant sweeper on one hand, for example.

Neoxon

I only have one request for the unique move of Litten's rumored final evolution (if this is real).

mika8vodl.gif

Thread right now is about correcting others while being a prick and backseat modding.

I didn't mean to derail the thread, but it seemed like we have hit a wall anyways with these rumors and I was genuinely curious about generational stuff once you get past 1-3 (since they are more tied to youth/nostalgia for most of us).

I'm guessing Gamefreak's strategy is it'll be another slowwww burn? Like XY where we won't know for sure until the games get leaked a few days/weeks early and someone on Reddit, etc. posts pictures for real.

We'll probably have confirm/deny on certain points in the rumor, given that leaks should drop soon for CoroCoro.

Soon, as in the next few days/hours. We're due for the monthly news drop, after all.

e105zeta

Neo Member
you'll only hear about the Digimon thing from the West

Japanese never really made or compare the two unless it was an intentional crossover fan material they're doing

also stop giving attention to Vire, look up that person's post history

From what I hear they're supposed to represent "waves". Yeah it's weird. The tail and ears are supposed to resemble the tidal waves of the sea.

No, Squirtle and Wartortle are Minogame. Their tails and ears are supposed to be seaweed that grew on them from living so long. Blastoise totally ditches the minogame theme and jams guns onto it.

Kyzer

Banned
you'll only hear about the Digimon thing from the West

Japanese never really made or compare the two unless it was an intentional crossover fan material they're doing

also stop giving attention to Vire, look up that person's post history

From what I hear they're supposed to represent "waves". Yeah it's weird. The tail and ears are supposed to resemble the tidal waves of the sea.

interesting, japanese people dont ever compare pokemon and digimon? i find that hard to believe for some reason

interesting, japanese people dont ever compare pokemon and digimon? i find that hard to believe for some reason

why would they?

there's like a whole bunch of other collect monsters series out there in Japan for them to compare if people want to waste their time like that

the only reason why the West does this, is because both Pokemon and Digimon came out around the same time here and both were relatively popular at the same time

Kyzer

Banned
why would they?

there's like a whole bunch of other collect monsters series out there in Japan for them to compare if people want to waste their time like that

the only reason why the West does this, is because both Pokemon and Digimon came out around the same time here and both were relatively popular at the same time

right, and werent pokemon and digimon also both popular in japan at the time? not sure why they wouldnt compare the two, nothing specifically american about comparing two monster collecting franchises

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm pretty sure Pokemon and Digimon didn't quite coincide the same way in Japan as they did in America...for example there was a bigger gap between the anime airing and they weren't on competing channels like in the U.S. where Pokemon was WB and Digimon was Fox. Also I imagine Japan was used to many shows in a similar vein to those two with monster mascots and such whereas in the U.S. both of those basically started the genre here.

e105zeta

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure Pokemon and Digimon didn't quite coincide the same way in Japan as they did in America...for example there was a bigger gap between the anime airing and they weren't on competing channels like in the U.S. where Pokemon was WB and Digimon was Fox. Also I imagine Japan was used to many shows in a similar vein to those two with monster mascots and such whereas in the U.S. both of those basically started the genre here.

Japan has Youkai, which basically encapsulate all monster collection series and date back centuries. All monster collection franchises stem from Youkai and Obake Karuta. I'd say the earliest monster-style franchises in Japan were probably Astro Boy (which uses robots in a way similar to Pokemon and Digimon) and GeGeGe no Kitarō (AKA original Yo-Kai Watch).

brinstar

Digimon came out BEFORE Pokemon in US iirc... I remember the virtual pets when I was in elementary school which was before Red/Blue's release here. This was back during the Tamagotchi craze (I may be dating myself now lol).

When the Digimon TV show hit in US in '99 I believe, I remember thinking "Oh wow, they're bringing Digimon back?" where a lot of kids were accusing it of being a Pokemon ripoff.

The entire population of Japan never compared the two..ever I can confirm this. Lol it's such a Weird thing to say anyway. I don't mind the comparisons just don't get why people use it as an insult to pokemon they both have good and bad designs

e105zeta

Neo Member
I find it annoying because the closest comparison to Digimon is actually Shin Megami Tensei. Monsters stored digitally, many based on occult demons and angels, can talk and have neutral/chaos/law (data/virus/vaccine) morality triangle, fuse with other monsters to evolve, ally themselves with angsty teenagers and repeatedly attempt to start an apocalypse? That ain't Pokemon, guys. They've even been sharing artists, recently.

Zomba13

When people compare Pokémon to Digimon and then people defend the designs going "not enough rockets, not complex enough" etc it just makes me feel sad because there is shit like Agumon and the like, you know? Not every Digimon is a seventy foot tall cyber dinosaur with hidden chest missiles and metal helmet.

Mr-Joker

Banned
When people compare Pokémon to Digimon and then people defend the designs going "not enough rockets, not complex enough" etc it just makes me feel sad because there is shit like Agumon and the like, you know? Not every Digimon is a seventy foot tall cyber dinosaur with hidden chest missiles and metal helmet.

When people say "not enough rockets" they mean that Digimon designs tend to be more extreme than Pokémon

For example

250px-004Charmander.png
200px-Agumon_cs.jpg

You can clearly tell that compare to Charmander Agumon design just doesn't fit with Pokémon and is clearly not a part of that series and likewise for Charmander.

Druddigon is not even close in looking like a Digimon so the argument falls flat.

When people say "not enough rockets" they mean that Digimon designs tend to be more extreme than Pokémon

For example

250px-004Charmander.png
200px-Agumon_cs.jpg

You can clearly tell that compare to Charmander Agumon design just doesn't fit with Pokémon and is clearly not a part of that series and likewise for Charmander.

Druddigon is not even close in looking like a Digimon so the argument falls flat.
I use to associate the two when I was younger because they both were fire breathing dragons/lizards in my eyes. People just get so up and arms and offended when people say o hey that looks like a Digimon. It's ridiculous. While on the flip side some trolls like to go the other route Ha! That looks like a Digimon like it's some insult to the digimon design and too the specific pokemon

The Adder

Banned
Looks nothing like a digimon. You guys need to stop embarrassing yourselves with this shit. It's not even a complicated design and it's name basically comes to "red head"

How about you either dispute the actual arguments I put forth for why, to me, it looks like a Digimon or just not talk about the post?

I haven't read a single spoiler in this thread, because I need to go into Sun and Moon blind. There have already been several Pokemon revealed, and I can't necessarily expect tons of new Pokemon like Gens 3 and 5 despite 7 being an odd number.

I'm only posting, because I saw rankings on the last page, and I wanted to put my two cents in.

For me: 2 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 3 >>> 6

The strength of Generations 3, 4, and 5 really wasn't realized until their third versions/sequels. Platinum is a great title, and the HGSS remakes made good use of the Gen 4 engine.

Gen 5 was well done, but it didn't speak to me like 1, 2, and 4 did. Gen 3 is just OK.

I've said my piece on Gen 6 several times. Pokemon XY and ORAS are the games that it is judged by, and I can comfortably say it's the worst.

brinstar

I use to associate the two when I was younger because they both were fire breathing dragons/lizards in my eyes. People just get so up and arms and offended when people say o hey that looks like a Digimon. It's ridiculous. While on the flip side some trolls like to go the other route Ha! That looks like a Digimon like it's some insult to the digimon design and too the specific pokemon

Personally speaking, I just think it's a boring criticism. And to me it doesn't even make sense because like you said there's some rad Digimon designs. But I think the reason people tend to get annoyed when they see it is not because of what it means literally but because it's a tired cliche phrase that's been thrown out since they've been making Pokemon past the first 150.

The whole concept of "Pokemon is going downhill past [insert whatever gen] has always been odd to me. I guess cause I'm the kind of guy who can find something to like in pretty much every Pokemon lol

Fireblend

Banned
Gen 6 rekindled my passion in Pokemon after having abandoned it after Gen 2. That's all I wish to say, I believe they're easily among the best games I've played in recent years.

Top Bottom