• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox Streamer ($99), Xbox TV ($150-$175), Xbox Mini, & Xbox 2017 coming, more

Uhyve

Double the price of chromecast :-( I hope they can justify the price difference with some killer features
At the price, it's not inconceivable that it could be a MS branded Intel stick running Windows 10 with the Xbox BPM mode they were talking about. That'd be a huge step up from Chromecast since you'd be able to run native windows apps. Probably a stretch though with MS focusing so heavily on UWAs.

Helznicht

Small XBO2 upgrade + Mini Streaming + VR = Does not compute.

If this is their vision, its too fragmented. Pick something and go all in on it.

Justified

I think if people think of Xbox not as a device but as a brand and platform like Android, it will be easier to understand where they are going

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think if people think of Xbox not as a device but as a brand and platform like Android, it will be easier to understand where they are going

Exactly. Same with with PlayStation as they do the streaming service, interactive consoles, remote play, etc..

Nintendo will be going down that road as well it seems.

8. MS knows gaming is the "bread-and-butter" for Xbox and will show that at E3 but still want to "attack the living-room" and appeal to cord-cutters. Xbox One is currently too expensive/big for that audience.

Oh god, not this again.

Would be happy to see the xbox interface on PC though. Let me add steam games and use it as a big picture mode launcher and I'd be very happy with it.

Markoman

Good news, if true.
As a PC + PS4 owner I would be happy not having to bother with another device but still having access to all the gamez. Fingers crossed....

Pretty much this, hence one of the reason why they are taking UWA/UWP so seriously. Everything is making sense now. One development platform for all of their devices, xbox, xbox on pc, etc etc.

All they have to do is execute it with consumers in mind and this could be huge for them. I am actually quite excited for a xbox like interface on PC. If they basically transform the xbox app into that said interface and really open the floodgates for Crossbuy/Crossplay I'll be there day fucking one.

That seems to be the way they are going.

Ushay

If MS are opting to release more powerful hardware spring next year they can take huge advantage and get well ahead in performance. The question will the audience buy? I'm certainly interested..

If MS are opting to release more powerful hardware spring next year they can take huge advantage and get well ahead in performance. The question will the audience buy? I'm certainly interested..

If the rumors are true in that kotaku article and it will support oculus rift, it needs to be really powerful.

KingV

What I really would like to see is the ability to play Xbox disc-games on PC. Like you put the disc in and it downloads the UWP executable through their big picture mode.

If you can keep me in the buy, play, trade cycle on my PC that'd be pretty huge for me. I find I buy a lot of new games on Xbox now only so I can trade them in when I'm done.

This iterative future is confusing. So after XBox 1.5, we'll see Xbox 2.0? And it will be backwards compatible? at what point will Xbox 1 not play future Xbox console games?

Is this Sony's future too?

Will all these Xbox models end up working to swing Xbox into some good momentum?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If the rumors are true in that kotaku article and it will support oculus rift, it needs to be really powerful.

It only needs to be at least a 970ti in power. NEO/PS4K is 'rumored' to be spec'ed in that range of power.

So the perspective of 'really powerful' is subjective to the platform space I suppose.

It also has to be priced to what the consumers will bare for a home console as well.

I dont think the marketing team will have a hard time. To me there will be like 3 devices.

1: Xbox One Slim. I think MS will try to make this device seem like it can compete with Apple TV and Fire TV. Might be more expensive but have better specs and game dev support.

2: Xbox streaming stick. Think Chromecast but is able to stream game, movies, music and apps from your xbox or W10 pc.

3: Xbox 2. The big upgrade for the core crowd. We probably wont see this at E3, but if we were it could be in the form of a spec sheet so say "Here is what we have coming. Stay tuned for more". People will still buy the xbox one slim because hopefully MS will make it clear that its a platform and not a generational console.

So in other words stop saying the new more powerful xbox will be a new generation. It will be viewed as a premium high end model.

The 10 teraflop thing is getting old as well.

A streaming-only box needs to be cheaper than $99 unless there's more to it.

Yep, isn't the valve streamer only $50 or so? Because that streams win 10 games as well with a little effort.

Also, I need these power numbers termed in a way I can understand: how many GameCubes taped together is it?

jblank83

This iterative future is confusing. So after XBox 1.5, we'll see Xbox 2.0? And it will be backwards compatible? at what point will Xbox 1 not play future Xbox console games?

When Microsoft feels like it, when the market has purchased enough Xbox 1.5s to allow it, just like smartphones.

SOR5

8. MS knows gaming is the "bread-and-butter" for Xbox and will show that at E3 but still want to "attack the living-room" and appeal to cord-cutters. Xbox One is currently too expensive/big for that audience.

Oh god, not this again.

Spend 5 minutes instead of 90
Try to restrain from saying "TV" as much as you can humanly manage

badaboom

3. Second Xbox streaming device (~$150 -> ~$175): a bit bigger than the chromecast-like device but "not an Xbox One crammed into a tiny box". This is more of a replacement for those who would buy 360 as a media box in 2015. He thinks this device will leverage the Windows Store to play "lightweight" games. Things like Hitman: Go rather than Rise of the Tomb Raider.

This sounds like a dead at birth device to me. Who would pay $175 to play games that they already have running on their phones? Ouya like device much?

Xbox 2017 is a nice surprise if confirmed.

Chittagong

Gold Member
SMART
+ Smaller, cheaper Xbox One
+ Stronger, iterative, premium Xbox Two
+ Oculus = Xbox VR
+ Xbox UI on PC

NEITHER NOR
= Updated controller

DUMB
- Streamer box
- Marketplace simple game box

monadi

Banned
Xbox is gonna have another tv/media center jerk circle at e3?

I mean, the overwatch doc says it all. 250+ pc, 150+ ps4, 20+ xb1. But you'll be able to stream the animated shorts to all the tv's in your home.

IvanJ

Banned
I am so confused with all these rumors and devices. Not that I care much, my Tier 7 country will never be supported anyway.

I am still hoping for a $150-175 XBox Mini, digital only. I'd import one from the UK just for the EA Access, and never buy another EA game ever again. That's the only service I find useful in an XBox console.

Xbudz

I wonder if Microsoft intentionally leaked some of these rumors to gauge interest.

Or perhaps there is a chance they could be feeding bullshit plans out to try and catch internal leakers as well.

The Lamp

To me, MS sounds totally confused and clueless. They are making Xbox even harder to understand or relate to with all these devices IMO. I don't even understand which one an enthusiast like me would pick or why.

PS4 and PS4K sound much more straightforward of a marketing strategy.

I do like the idea of playing Xbox games on PC, though, so I don't have to buy another console whenever it gets a game I'm interested in.

vin-buc

I'm very curious to see how this all shakes out during E3. It just seems like they're so behind with ideas and just follow the status quo.

A streaming stick at the tail end of 2016? It just seems weird. If it is Windows on a stick - is the "PC on a stick" even a successful segment?

VR in 2017 - working with Oculus (which does make sense). Of course 2016 (as well as 2017) is just the start of VR but it seems "me too"

A new more powerful Xbox 1.5 in 2017 - the Neo has them beat here if rumors of a fall release are true.

I'm not even sure the xbox brand has its legs anymore tbh. As big as Microsoft is - they must still see worth in catering to such a small audience with "xbox"

I do hope the 40% smaller version looks akin to the 360S - that was one of the nicest looking consoles in my opinion (2nd to the PS2 slim).

Alx

To me, MS sounds totally confused and clueless. They are making Xbox even harder to understand or relate to with all these devices IMO. I don't even understand which one an enthusiast like me would pick or why.

PS4 and PS4K sound much more straightforward of a marketing strategy.

I do like the idea of playing Xbox games on PC, though, so I don't have to buy another console whenever it gets a game I'm interested in.

Eh, no use trying to understand a full business strategy from a few obscure and incomplete leaks. We'll see when MS show their cards if they seem to know what they're doing or not. Until then it's just guessing and speculation.

Bold strategy by Microsoft. I don't think they can go back to the old model if this doesn't work out.

I don't think so either. They are going full blown Apple with all of these devices under the Windows 10 banner. It is all about pushing software for them through their Windows 10 Store with UWA/UWP. They have to entice game and software developers to embrace UWA/UWP for this to happen. This is why they were pushing Windows 10 so hard and gave it away as a free upgrade for a year. The userbase has greatly expanded for them. Of course, a lot of people don't have gaming capable PCs but they can still play "light" games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why? I'm puzzled at the business decisions here. It appears they may be making the same mistake here as they did with the mobile phones.

They are! They are panicking for no good reason. MS doesn't need to do all this crazy stuff.

AmyS

Oh boy

The 2017 Xbox, which is codenamed Scorpio, will have a more powerful GPU, according to three people familiar with this model, speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to speak about Microsoft’s plans. We hear that it will also be technically capable of supporting the Oculus Rift and that Microsoft is pursuing a partnership with Oculus. As for 2016, sources have told us there’s at least a more compact version coming by year’s end. One source believed it will include a larger 2TB hard drive, double the capacity of the most spacious current model. We’re expecting Microsoft to announce the more compact machine at E3 next month. (Kotaku’s Jason Schreier and Kotaku UK’s Keza MacDonald both independently corroborated this information.)

http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446

ljuqjR4.png

L1E1dJ.gif
ZjrqdcM.jpg

XzQ1eew.jpg

:)

Phyla

Man, the gaming landscape continues to shift. Iterative consoles, VR, digital distribution, streaming, shared ecosystems.. exciting, but dazzling at the same time. Makes me curious about how the Sony and MS will present the hardware changes to the 'average gamer'.

Microsoft branded, powerful PC's (or really, just upgraded Xboxes) combined with AWA/UWP and a Xbox streaming device might provide a more aproachable gaming ecosystem than traditional custom-build PC's with win32 .exes and a Steam Link.

daveo42

Banned
The "chromecast" and "lunchbox" systems to try and reclaim the living room sound like terrible ideas as that market is already flooded and Smart TVs are the way more people consumer their digital content. No reason to build and sell a separate box for the living room. It'll be DOA.

GamerJM

Banned
I've read this entire topic and I'm still kind of confused.Then again it seems like the Streamer didn't give a clear view of what's happening.

Chris1

The "chromecast" and "lunchbox" systems to try and reclaim the living room sound like terrible ideas as that market is already flooded and Smart TVs are the way more people consumer their digital content. No reason to build and sell a separate box for the living room. It'll be DOA.

Because nobody has Chromecasts and Roku boxes right?

I'd probably get one depending on a few things and I have a smart TV.

Audioboxer

How many people are that invested in the Windows store ecosystem to be prized away from Android and Apple?

Don't see much hope for a streaming box. A lot of the more tech literate folks buy cheap android boxes with Kodi, others opt for Amazon/Android and Apple.

Gamers buy the game consoles that get all the streaming and gaming in one.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Because nobody has Chromecasts and Roku boxes right?

I'd probably get one depending on a few things and I have a smart TV.

Well speaking of myself, I no longer have any of the apps I once used on the PS4 (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, MLB.TV), since my Android TV has all of them, and they run fantastic. I do not want to have an extra box running, when the TV has them on the App Store. Hell, they just added Spotify now, but I won't bother, since I can Bluetooth/NFC from the phone or tablet to the soundbar/wireless sub, and not have to have the TV on at all for music.

I cancelled Playstation Vue for this very reason. I will re-subsribe when they add it to their Android lot.

ironcreed

Banned
Too many Xboxes and Xbox branded devices for me. I'll stick with the Xbox One for a few more years and then upgrade. Same with the PS4.

Confusion will reign...

Focus on the games. If you need to have a 4K (well.... 1080p) console to compete with the PS4K, then by all means yes have it. But don't flood the market with a small streaming Xbox and a slightly bigger streaming Xbox...

Top Bottom