• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox Streamer ($99), Xbox TV ($150-$175), Xbox Mini, & Xbox 2017 coming, more

So I think this is the most likely in regards to hardware:

Announced E3 2016

- Xbox Stick
- Xbox One S (40% smaller, bigger HD with DVR functionality, 4K media playback)

Announced E3 2017

- Xbox Two (AMD Polaris/Vega, VR implementation, much more powerful)

SOR5

FWIW it's perfectly reasonable that "Scorpio" is just a "1.5" just like "Neo" is the "PS4k." It sounds iterative.

Yeah you're probably right

It really depends HOW powerful though, if its a completely different interface, controller, look, brand and way more powerful, then i'd say Xbox 2

If it's just Xbox One with a different shell and a few hardware upgrades, Xbox 1.5

What defines 1.5 and 2 anymore? Is there any set boundaries?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That's a shit tonne of hardware.

The streaming stuff sounds like what Sony are doing with Playstation in terms of entertainment leaving under the Xbox umbrella. Should be interesting to see how their reattempt works out for them after XB1's earlier failure and the amount of competition there is atm with that.

That PR. Now let's see if this XB1.5 has any hardware upgrades to better support 4K gaming.

Actually it's worse iirc the source was banned from misterXmedia for being too unrealistic or something lool. This rumor however it's talking about the power more the fact that a new Xbox with a different architecture is coming.

Edit -

Maybe not the case after all - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=204622569#post204622569

Wow if even misterxmedia finds him unreallistic how can we consider it a true?

Sounds like a bunch of bullocks to me...

Too many devices in too short a time frame. I am interested in gaming on a device like my PC (or Mac in my case) and having that turn into an Xbox, but all these devices sound like redundancy in the market.

- Who wants another streaming device? Where's the difference maker?
- Slimming down X1 is always good
- PC Windows merging with Xbox is good

So yea, I dunno. Nothing really interesting about any of this besides the excitement of new hardware. But it doesn't sound like I'd actually use any of the rumored devices.

Scorpio rumoured for sometime in 2017? Poor Nintendo.

This is gonna shape up to be some generation, the most interesting to say the least.

MuchoMalo

Banned
What kind of price do we expect for 10Tflops console in Spring 2017? Because to me it seems expensive.

Assuming AMD, that would require a Vega 10 GPU and probably at least a quad-core Zen CPU. We'd also likely be looking at 16GB of HBM2. Assuming that MS wants to make the smallest loss they can... It's the return of FIVE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS! It definitely can't hit $400, as the monstrous APU alone (which would be around 500mm2) would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 alone.

SOR5

Why in the world would I own an Xbox at that point? Again, bizarre choice to make. I'm genuinely puzzled here.

Because as of 2016, a significant portion of the market still wants the convenience of a pre-defined no-nonsense console.

The Oculus partnership seems like the only logical step for Microsoft in the wake of PSVR.

I hope Microsoft has learned from their mistakes and goes with some super powerful hardware for the refresh. Time to burn those truckloads of cash.

kiguel182

I really like what I'm hearing from Microsoft and everything they have been doing as of late.

PS4 still has more games (and gets games sooner) so that will keep being the platform for me but if they can fuse Windows and Xbox and bring Windows games to there I can honestly consider a switch.

Xbox as a Platform is probably the biggest news here.

The other devices announced are another avenue for Windows developers to target more audiences. A lot of the stuff rumoured here is making sense.

Develop 1 app which can run the same code on XBOX, PC, TABLET, MOBILE, XBOXCAST, XBOXMINI, HALOLENS.

Not bad.

Yah, I think that is a big part of it. It can end up being extremely successful if marketed well and everything is clear. This will help them reach that 1 billion device count on W10.

Sulik2

Xbox Next four years after release, with a gaming division run by competent management and the Surface Pro 3 team making the new Xbox hardware ideally? Sign me up.

The people who like Microsoft (PC, Xbox, multimedia apps) and want an easy way to get to that content without buying an Xbox One.

The "difference" in this case being it opens up the MS ecosystem to you, rather like the Kindle Fire opens up the Amazon ecosystem and so on.

Justified

Sounds like a bunch of bullocks to me...

Too many devices in too short a time frame. I am interested in gaming on a device like my PC (or Mac in my case) and having that turn into an Xbox, but all these devices sound like redundancy in the market.

- Slimming down X1 is always good
- PC Windows merging with Xbox is good

So yea, I dunno. Nothing really interesting about any of this besides the excitement of new hardware. But it doesn't sound like I'd actually use any of the rumored devices.

Not if Xbox is leaving the console-only space, and becoming a "brand, and platform" (similar to iOS, and Android)

Probably get off the ESRAM and used GDDR5 like they should have 3 years ago.

I think they wanted to go GDDR5 but weren't sure if they were going to get the 8GB they needed so decided to play it safe and go with DDR3. Sony took the gamble and was gonna go with 4GB until late in the development cycle they were able to scoop up the extra 4GB.

Caffeine

I thought their e3 would just be a standard show like the off years when they dont really announce hardware but this sparks tons of interest. I hate their current setup of windows store for games so bringing xbox ui to pc is a great step in the right direction. maybe it will bring 360 bc?

Why in the world would I own an Xbox at that point? Again, bizarre choice to make. I'm genuinely puzzled here.

Because people like consoles and don't like stuff like:

I need help guys. I had posted this in the last thread, thought the problem had gone away for a couple weeks, but now it's back again. I keep getting multiple blue screen of death errors, usually while trying to play a game, but occasionally even just browsing the web. I found a program that some people recommended called WhoCrashed that is supposed to analyze the crashes, but I'm not a PC expert so I was hoping someone could give me advice on this report. From the program:

On Wed 5/25/2016 7:11:58 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\052516-3484-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFFF680206A78C8, 0x20000000000000, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

(snipped because point made)

edit: You can also make the opposite point: why build your own PC just for gaming, if MS is going to release a new state of the art xbox every couple of years (per Kotaku rumour)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
OK listening to the archive with headphones. Will update as I go.

1. "Xbox Mini is Real"
2. Chromecast "Super-Streamer" Xbox. (~$99)
3. Second Xbox streaming device: a bit bigger "not an Xbox One crammed into a tiny box". This is more of a replacement for those who would buy 360 as a media box in 2015. He thinks this device will leverage the Windows Store to play "lightweight" games (~$150 -> ~$175)
4. Details get fuzzy at this point for Brad. Does not think MS will go for 4K gaming yet. Thinks the next system will be more of an iterative step.
5. Xbox becoming a platform. MS playing around with bringing the Xbox interface to PC (Redstone 2 related). Think Media Center for games. Speculation: "think further down the road - what if Xbox becomes software?"
6. Microsoft focused on "extensible" systems. It's the "magic" word in Microsoft right now.
7. Brad thinks MS will do something "Big" for the next Xbox in 2017. Thinks the Eurogamer article is "onto something" but thinks they have their wires crossed in some respects. MS doing "crazy" stuff. VR may play a part.
8. MS knows gaming is the "bread-and-butter" for Xbox and will show that at E3 but still want to "attack the living-room" and appeal to cord-cutters. Xbox One is currently too expensive/big for that audience.
9. Updated controller that will look mostly the same. Minor revision.
10. PC gaming big for Microsoft and E3 will reflect that. Look to see MS continue to try and bring Xbox and PC together.
11. Thinks we could see a revision/upgrade (minor) to the current Xbox One but is fuzzy on that.

Thanks again. I'll update the title again.

Sydle

Got through listening to it.

I heard 4 things:
  • Something small like Amazon Fire and Apple TV (my take: this will come in multiple forms including a stick and a small Roku-like device)
  • A smaller Xbox for this year (my take: the Xbox One Slim)
  • A new more powerful Xbox for 2017, likely with VR support
  • Xbox interface on PC

I can imagine them announcing the Xbox One Slim and the small Fire/Apple TV-like thing at E3. I think they'll wait until Spring to announce Xbox Next.

Phawx

If PC will be considered an Xbox, that means there is a better chance that we've ever had that 360 emulation will come to PC, yes?

jelly

That sounds like a lot of things that can't be releasing within that small time frame.

Slim, perhaps but I think MS would rather see the back of Xbox One so a new Xbox would just become the main event while they wind down the One hardware. 1.5 model seems mad if they are releasing a new console in 2017. The Xbox stick/streamer, pretty cheap entry point into the Windows ecosystem and helps get app support so a no brainer there.

Top Bottom