• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox Streamer ($99), Xbox TV ($150-$175), Xbox Mini, & Xbox 2017 coming, more

Freiya

Man it really seems like Microsoft has fallen off. Next year? Do they not realize the xb1 sucks? Why are their pants down.

I don't think he was saying the 10 TFLOP thing was real, but that the rest of the rumor was based in reality (that there was a new box coming in 2017 with AMD internals and game compatibility kept in mind).

There version of PS4k just a few months later basically.

Did I listen to the same podcast as the rest of you?

He said

1) Xbox streaming stick, similar to a Chromecast
2) Xbox TV similar to a roku/apple TV NOT a XBO slim.
3) Xbox new box, VR enabled, revealed spring 2017, based on new architecture
4) Xbox 1.5, 4k output revealed later this year

5) Xbox interface being worked on as a BPM for PC.
So these are two different things? Isn't that massive overkill?

By the sounds of it, the two smaller devices are just Xbox-branded, but won't actually play Xbox games yeah? For the lunchbox style one, he was talking about the potential for apps. He also said the Chromecast-style device will cost around $100, possibly less, and the larger device will cost around $150 to $175.

Anyway, my stream died while we was talking about E3 and the Xbox message for games, etc.

He used Chromecast/Fire and AppleTV as comparisons.

He said games was 100% the focus for xbox, but they need to make a play in the living room for cord cutters, and that xbox one is too big/expensive for that but it's their only answer as it stands today.

MilkyJoe

Did I listen to the same podcast as the rest of you?

He said

1) Xbox streaming stick, similar to a Chromecast.
2) Xbox TV similar to a roku/apple TV NOT a XBO slim.
3) Xbox new box, VR enabled, revealed spring 2017, based on new architecture
4) Xbox 1.5, 4k output revealed later this year
5) Xbox interface being worked on as a BPM for PC.

Apart from the Xbox 2 rumour, which he was incredibly flaky on, it sounds utterly disappointing. The XBO on PC is interesting, but honestly was only a matter of time before that happened.

In the after chat he did a U turn on the xbox 2 in the spring saying it might just be an xbox one revision.,

Either he is confused, knows nothing, or knows something but has bad communication skills...

ps3ud0

The rumors are that the new Surfaces are going to release next spring for Anniversary Update 2. The new Xbox will likely be announced at the same event as the surfaces.
Ah that makes more sense - I couldnt see anything obviously consumer lead in their event portfolio for that time of year.

I presume Redstone2 isnt going to launch then but announce? Ive taken the anniversary naming to be literal - kinda a tangent...

ps3ud0 8)

Conduit

Banned
Xbox 1.5 coming next year according to him. Citing the Eurogamer.it 10TFlop article but heard independently.

Eurogamer.it IS NOT the real source about the 10 TF Xbox. You should read the article. You will be surprised who the real source is.

Some dumbass like MisterXmedia

chadskin

In the after chat he did a U turn on the xbox 2 in the spring saying it might just be an xbox one revision.,

Either he is confused, knows nothing, or knows something but has bad communication skills...

I believe that what he said for this E3 is accurate.

Everything beyond that was supremely sketchy and sounded like he had no clue.

Though with the pivot to PC, I am pretty much finished with MS hardware though. Xbox One has been a pretty jank console. If I can play Halo on PC, no reason to buy their propreitary or low end/limited hardware.

I get that but I still want the hardware as I can't be bothered to upgrade my PC every few months. Best of both worlds? Play XBox on your PC.

What's the chances of them charging for XBox Live still? If they make next to no money on the consoles then making every PC an XBox and charging for Live = $ right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you see the title changing a bit, I'm trying to fit more things.

Noob question: What are 'cord cutters'?
People who don't want to pay a cable subscription fee to watch television, but still want television.

Think Netflix only type people.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Very exciting, and should enable a great E3 2016 press conference by Microsoft.

I don't own an Xbox One, but if a new console/upgrade is backwards compatible I could see myself purchasing that new system.

J-Skee

A smaller Xbox with a focus on digital games is definitely something I'm interested in. My PS4 is already my Blu-ray player & it'd be a way to finally play Xbox exclusives. As long as it's priced right, I'm in.

I think we will see iterative consoles from Sony and Microsoft - similar to iPhone and iPad (and what fans want to see from NX). Xbox will be an OS, there will be new and stronger hardware models and cross-compatibility up to some point. People are used to it from smartphones and it's a great way to tie your audience to your product range.

Kaiken

Banned
Okay so let me see if I got this correct so far:

1.) The Xbox 1.5/Xbox 2 is being unveiled at E3 2017 (or at least in Spring 2017). It's based on a new architecture.

2.) A separate new hardware device - a smaller version of the current Xbox One called the Xbox Mini - is being unveiled at E3 2016.

3.) Microsoft is hoping to go after cord cutters and have more livingroom oriented stuff.

4.) The Xbox One's UI is coming to the PC version of Xbox Live.

Do I have this all correct?

Wouldn't this pose a compatibility problem with current games?

This is kinda fucked up to be honest.

MS releases a new generation in 2017 alongside Nintendo, Sony releases a 0.5 console this year, when will Sony release a new console generation then?

Shit I'm sure my father will want it for his room and the living room.

Microsoft just sold 2 of those devices if true.

Jup, my parents are looking for a cheap and easy way to stream Windows to their old ass TV, so if the Xbox Nano is exactly that, it could be a good selling product for Microsoft imo. (Makes you wonder why they wouldn't call it Windows Nano instead of Xbox Nano, if it really is just streaming the windows pc.)

JaggedSac

Ah that makes more sense - I couldnt see anything obviously consumer lead in their event portfolio for that time of year.

I presume Redstone2 isnt going to launch then but announce? Ive taken the anniversary naming to be literal - kinda a tangent...

ps3ud0 8)

Yeah, we don't know the actual name of the update. Redstone 2 would be better way to refer to it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So these are two different things? Isn't that massive overkill?

Seems odd to have both. Unless the 2017 reveal is for a 2018 device that is again an iteration rather than a reboot.

As many said we might be moving to iterative boxes every 2 years or so rather than full new gen reboots every 6-8.

But a streaming stick would be nice. Play off one centrally located machine, or PC, in any other room with a TV. What I wanted the Playstation TV to really be.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I think Brad got this one wrong. Why would you have 2 streaming devices without gaming capability? Also see Tom Warrens post. (but maybe there is a 3rd slim coming)

Different levels of consumer needs.

Streaming tier
Streaming + Games tier (my guess is similar to where Xbox One is at today)
Pure power for games tier

leeh

MS, don't announce the stick at E3. Dont make the same mistake twice.

10F machine which only focuses on 4k video playback? Sure.

Red

How does XBox on PC work? Is there even an XBox store on PC anymore?

Is it meant to be a full PC interface with the UI of XBone?

I think Brad got this one wrong. Why would you have 2 streaming devices without gaming capability? Also see Tom Warrens post. (but maybe there is a 3rd slim coming)

The larger device one sounded more App based if I heard right (sound was cutting out on my end). I would imagine some gaming capability would go with that. Things like the UWP version of Hitman: Go or those Halo top-down shooters.

ozprime

So just to be clear, an Xbox 1.5 for this year AND an even more powerful, VR enabled Xbox NEXT year?

Yikes...

Never mind. Just caught post about partial walk back of that.

Top Bottom