• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: God of War 4 to be set in Norse Mythology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I don't particularly care about the mythology, but I will happily buy it so long as Kratos is dead and gone.

Egyptian gods are clearly the most recognizable after Greek, and it's a shame that they went for the much more used Norse, I was hoping they would finally go with the awesome ancient Egypt mythology.

What an incredible letdown. Let's hope they keep Kratos though, I don't want yet another generic white haired viking man as a main character.

Maybe to you. Not to the masses. I'd say Norse is the most recognizable, with War in their blood.

Can you imagine of Santa Monica pulls a Metal Gear Solid 2? Picture this: Kratos is in all the promotional material of the game, including the demos shown to the world. The game is released, and one hour into the game, Kratos is brutally murdered, and the player gets to play as a different character, the real main character, for the rest of the game.

Egyptian gods are clearly the most recognizable after Greek, and it's a shame that they went for the much more used Norse, I was hoping they would finally go with the awesome ancient Egypt mythology.

What an incredible letdown. Let's hope they keep Kratos though, I don't want yet another generic white haired viking man as a main character.

Gods of Egypt ruined it for everybody

Are they? The eagle head guy and the dog headed guy are more well known than Thor and Loki? The most well known Egyptian gods are the Pharroh from the 10 Commandments and Lucario.

Plus there's a character named Isis. Egyptian mythology is more legit though. I'm still not convinced Norse mythology was ever believed by anyone.

Can you imagine of Santa Monica pulls a Metal Gear Solid 2? Picture this: Kratos is in all the promotional material of the game, including the demos shown to the world. The game is released, and one hour into the game, Kratos is brutally murdered, and the player gets to play as a different character, the real main character, for the rest of the game.

This needs to happen.

This series hasn't been milked as much as other big franchise, but I really do think that it needs a major shakeup. God of War 2 was a solid sequel to the first one, and many people here believe it was actually the peak of series.

I did play GoW 3 or Ascension, but the series certainly started to feel stale despite the critical and commercial acclaim of GoW 3.

A new character and setting would be completely welcomed by me. Hopefully, some new mechanics can also be added to make the gameplay deeper or more fresh.

it kinda got milked.

6 games in 7 years. They feel very similar, no matter how good they are.

I'd rather have something on Votan. There not much known so they could potentially make something very interesting, although the legend has already been anglicized enough.

I really don't know how to feel about this. I guess it depends on whether or not Kratos is still them protagonist of the game. If he is not, then just make a new ip.

platina

A "big" leak you say?

TWOdJ5.gif

Reset

Kratos getting killed would be nothing new. He dies in almost every GoW, but comes back.

You realise we live in a world where DmC is a thing?

All these people wishing for no Kratos. If you think that will end well, you really haven't been paying attention to the gaming world.

Kratos is just fine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people asking for GoW game with no Kratos aren't even fan of the series. Even with a different lead, I doubt they'll buy the game. Plus Gaf is the only forum that I visited that has a bunch of people hate Kratos this much, but then again this is also the only forum I visited where Platinum games is praised so much. :]

You realise we live in a world where DmC is a thing?

All these people wishing for no Kratos. If you think that will end well, you really haven't been paying attention to the gaming world.

Kratos is just fine.
You're welcome to your opinion just like we are welcome to ours. And if Sony wants new people to buy future GoWs they would probably do well to listen to us too.

I only played the first GoW, and though I liked the game I thought Kratos was a bad character then. That was over 10 years ago and from the bibs and bobs I've seen, played and heard of the sequels he's only gotten more unlikeable. Antiheroes or one thing but I imagine most people would rather not play as a complete dick. It's time for a change I think.

You mention DMC but that's an extreme outlier which doesn't have much to do with this. We don't want a Kratos redesign, or at least I don't. I want a completely new character and if we go into Norse mythology it probably makes more sense to start fresh.

And just like that, I am incredibly interested in the game.

New hero, new setting, new gods. All I want to see.

Still really wish we could see a dev team do Hindu mythology.

geordiemp

I dream to one day play a god of war game where I can control the camera - I hate fixed camera.

Dont care where the setting is, let me get up close to that action...

One day...

jett

D-Member
I'll take anything but Kratos.

Nobody is ever going to do something like this again.

With the proliferation of leaks and shit these days anyway, it's just not possible.

Floody

Be a cool opening fight, Kratos up against someone as fast, strong and mobile as he is. Though Kratos would almost definitely not stay dead if that happened.

You mention DMC but that's an extreme outlier which doesn't have much to do with this. We don't want a Kratos redesign, or at least I don't. I want a completely new character and if we go into Norse mythology it probably makes more sense to start fresh.

You think you want that, but then you get an emo teen main character wearing a beany.

Change isn't always good and in gaming it is almost always bad.

GeoramA

It really is the best transition.

Zeus becomes Odin
Olympus becomes Valhalla
Spartan becomes Viking
Kratos becomes ?

paolo11

I dream to one day play a god of war game where I can control the camera - I hate fixed camera.

Dont care where the setting is, let me get up close to that action...

One day...

Man I feel the same way. No more fixed camera.

But what about the dodge button? Where should they map it?

And just like that, I am incredibly interested in the game.

New hero, new setting, new gods. All I want to see.

Still really wish we could see a dev team do Hindu mythology.

I don't know, Hinduism is still very much alive and kicking. It would probably be pretty insulting to Hindus. I remember there being some anger over that god moba a while back for that reason. What was it called? Strife or something?

You think you want that, but then you get an emo teen main character wearing a beany.

Change isn't always good and in gaming it is almost always bad.
Honestly I fully believe that an emo teen main character would be an improvement over Kratos and I do not say that lightly or as a joke.

I'd vastly prefer a female protagonist, so I'm hoping we'll play as a valkyrie.

But anything other than Kratos would be good. I would be fine playing as either Thor or Loki.

Norse!? YEEESSS!

SO HYPED.

I've wanted a game with god of war themes/gameplay without Kratos for a while. Kratos' story ended at GoW 3 and anything past there just felt like belabouring the point.

Man, I hope the new God of War protag is Tyr or some other minor god - but hey if it's gonna be some random dude/chick like Kratos I'm fine with that too.

Let's kill some effing Norse gods.

Moskalova

http://nerdleaks.com/videogames/god-of-war-iv-here-are-some-concept-arts-showing-kratos-in-norse-mythology-246

There is Kratos, with beard;
The setting is the Norse Mythology;
Kratos will visit Alfheim, “Land Of The Fairies”, one of the Nine Worlds and home of the Light Elves (concepts show the Wall and the Temple Door);
Kratos will be in one or more prison;
Kratos has an Axe, with wich he can cut vines and create bridges/walkways;
The surrounding environment could interact with the character (if Kratos brushes-up against the vines, they expell visible spores).

Thewonandonly

Allright I don't know anything about Norse mythology but it fucking pumped. Was tired of Greek mythology and will be glad to play something new. Also why is everyone saying Norse mythology is played out come on all I can think about is two human.

story: allright so you start of as playing as Kratos. You have entered a war with Thor. You fight him while your army and thor's army. You slaughter Thor and one of thor's soilders sees you do it. Then you playing as Kratos see the soilder and kill him. Then you transfer to playing as the soilder and have to fight your way through Norse hell. Then you go out and kill a bunch of Norse gods for reason's. The final fight is you and Kratos in a epic duel of the ages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom